Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

Flights booked away for after Xmas flying into Malaga. Undecided on basing ourselves in Nerja, Marbella, Feungirola or Benamedena.
    Bike booked and the aim will be early morning cycles and back before the kids know i have been out.

Anyone cycled or holidayed around these areas?

Posted about it here the other day
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92408617&postcount=4

Nerja would be my choice the others are more resort like. Nerja is a nice town still plenty of holiday makers but older europeans who spend their winters there. Lots's of good places to eat a glass of bear and tapa's for €1.70 in one place we frequented! 3-4 beers and you've had a good meal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oryx wrote: »
    Im hoping to borrow rollers. Youre not filling me with confidence.

Oh jesus christ please don't. You and bally8 are not allowed near rollers. Even I would be safer. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Bambaata wrote: »
    Nice! If you happen to go around the white villages, north of Gibraltar, then you have some serious climbing available!

Yeah no shortage of climbing in that area, some really nice climbs it would seem.
    Oryx wrote: »
    Im hoping to borrow rollers. Youre not filling me with confidence.
    Please set up a video camera when you do. Wrap yourself in bubble wrap.
    Ryath wrote: »
    Posted about it here the other day
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92408617&postcount=4

Nerja would be my choice the others are more resort like. Nerja is a nice town still plenty of holiday makers but older europeans who spend their winters there. Lots's of good places to eat a glass of bear and tapa's for €1.70 in one place we frequented! 3-4 beers and you've had a good meal.

Cheers for that, i had already bookmarked that post for the routes. Is it really suited to a young family though in terms of activities and things to do.
    Oh jesus christ please don't. You and bally8 are not allowed near rollers. Even I would be safer. :P
    Not by much in fairness

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I plan to use one of these at the same time. Be grand.
    lindam_jumpaboutplus_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

Cheers for that, i had already bookmarked that post for the routes. Is it really suited to a young family though in terms of activities and things to do.

We were there with a 4 & 6 year old at the end of May so they were happy enough just going to the beach and the few playgrounds around. My wife's family were with us as well so that made it a lot easier. There is an interesting cave system that my 6 year enjoyed and we went up to one of the white villages one evening.
    Older kids may be bored. The bigger towns might be better for activities but at Christmas the beach is out and a lot of the tourist stuff is closed for winter. We stayed in apartments but if you're staying in a hotel with a kids club would that be enough?

• Advertisement

Thurs 02nd - BG session - Nothing too fancy just a straight forward 5x5min BG session. I kept myself seated for the intervals and tried to have no movement on the bike from torso above. Power is a bit irelevant on these BG efforts but first three at 250w and the last two 270w, cadence kept at 45-50 and keeping it in the 53-11 on slope setting. 60mins 210wAP/221wNP

Fri 03rd - 2hr easy - As it says on the tin, nothing fancy and out early before work with lights on. Nice to be done and dusted for the day. 1:57, 55.6kms, 28.5kmph. I must switch the P2M back onto the winter hack!

Sat 4th - 1.5hr turbo with some SS efforts - Michelle was out from early tackling one of her last long runs for DCM so i was up and got this done early before the kids woke up for brekkie. Session was 20 easy with 3x15 SS, SS being 245w/88%FTP. Finished off with 5mins around threshold at 285w. 90mins, 46.9kms, 214w AP/224w NP

Sun 05th - 3hr easy/endurance - I had planned to get out on the road for 3hrs early but had to make do with 3hrs in the evening on the turbo as i opted for a sleep in. Kept the power handy enough, the wahoo turbo really is a great bit of kit. 3hrs, 88kms, 201w AP/ 204w NP

Week 1 - Decent start to winter training and a reintroduction to some tougher turbos. Weight is down to 71.2kg so down 2kg on last week and i feel a lot better for it. Diet has been good and i like being back in the routine than living life as a slob:)
    Picked up a nice evade lid and sworks shoes in B2R yesterday, they look sweet and will get plenty of use in the next few months.
    12hrs 7mins
    353.3kms
    7455kj
    718tss

This week will be similar enough with progression on both vo2 intervals and BG sets and hopefully i will get out for a long spin at the weekend.

Is your old man doing DCM?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Are you pacing DCM?

Is your old man doing DCM?

No his kness is banjaxed, which reminds me he is selling his race number on the cheap if anyone wants one.
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Are you pacing DCM?

No not this year, i am breaking a 4 year tradition of doing DCM:(. Tough to say no but my heart is not really in running right now and whilst i would have no problems kitting out and pacing a 3.30 i am pretty sure the last 3/4 miles would be grim with no running behind me in the last 3 months.

The real reason is that it would probably set my winter bike training back by about 2/3 weeks. Instead i will be cycling around Dublin being the supportive husband roaring my better half on to a hopeful sub 4 attempt.:) She is working with an excellent coach this year who is not only talented and full of charm but also has devilish good looks:pac:

• Advertisement

Mon 06th - 45min easy spin at lunchtime

Tues 07th - BG session. Session was a step up from last week to 5x6mins, again trying to hold a cadence of around 45-50rpm and seated. I notice i can push out much more power on lower revs. Was not looking at power on these but after downloading the file i was actually holding over threshold, 280-310w (up about 30/40w on last week). I also noticed i adjusted the slope by 1% upwards compared to last week to maintain the same cadence, felt much stronger.
    Need to keep an eye on my right knee as it tends to get sore any time i am climbing or doing BG work.
    60mins 242wAP/257wNP

Wed 08th - 2hrs easy. Out at 5.50am before work, met up with Liam for some of it.
    Love these early morning spins! 2.05/57kms/27.4kmph

Enjoying my training right now, it actually feels like i am doing veryt little:) long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

She is working with an excellent coach this year who is not only talented and full of charm but also has devilish good looks:pac:

Has the missus signed up with Tunny as well?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

catweazle wrote: »
    Tunny

i can't believe you did that.

catweazle wrote: »
    Has the missus signed up with Tunny as well?

You may not spell Tunnys name right but h will b dlightd to har that you think h is talntd, full of charm and has dvilish good looks:pac:

Wahoo Kickr Review

I got 3 requests in the last few days asking what i think of the wahoo trainer so will post a high level review of it here, for a more detailed review this is probably the best one out there http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/03/fitness-trainer-review.html

Set up: Pretty staright forward and no messing about. I had it out of the box, set up and running in less than 10minutes. Ideal if you have a newer generation iphone or ipad as you just download the wahoo fitness app. When i compare how easy this was setting up compared to the taxc vr fortius trainer they are miles apart. Great thing is there is no messing about switching turbo wheels etc.

Noise/Feel: I had originally toyed with the idea of a lemond trainer but when i tried one out they are so bloody noisey. Having one would never work with young kids and early morning sessions. I actually find the wahoo very quite and the feel from the motor is very clean and realistic road feel.

Reliability/Power readings: I have had both my P2Ms and SRMS on a good few sessions to compare power against. For clarification i have always considered my P2M has always under read by about 5% to my SRMS.
    You can easily calibrate the wahoo and it only takes a minute. I routinely do this before each spin to ensure offset and readings are consistent. I found that generally my P2M underead by 3% and the SRMS over read by 2%. Generally the comparison between the wahoo and the srms are only ever out by a few watts. Where i always seem to have drift against the P2M (P2M noted to have temp drift on older models)
    For me i find the numbers are reliable up against SRMs and most importantly are repeatable with no drift.

Software/Apps: There are a number of Apps out there with no doubt plenty more to come as they are being developed. The wahoo fitness app is free and will give you all the basics, level, resistance, ERG and mode.
    The ERG mode is great and when doing specific power targeted sessions its the only way to train as there is no hiding place, you either hit the number or come to a standstill.
    I also use the virtual training app http://virtualtraining.cycleops.com/en/tour/ it costs about $60 for a year and for that you can create your own workouts but the real draw is being able to create or cycle around courses, most of these with video. These are simulated and control the load placed on the turbo to try simulate real road feel. You will never truly create that road feel indoors but after climbing Alpe DhUEZ with some 12%+ gradients it sure does feel real.
    The workout creator is great and when the session is done it auto uploads to the cloud, you can load directly into GC, Strava or in my case TPeaks so no messing about with cables or anything. The only downfall is it does not split out your lap details which is handy when reviewing efforts/intervals.
    List of other apps here http://support.wahoofitness.com/entries/23696551-What-software-and-apps-are-available-for-the-KICKR-

Overall a 5/5 rating for me, its robust, reliable, very quite to use, great software if that floats your boat and ease of use. It is pricey though but you get what you pay for!

Hopefully some of the above is useful to a few considering turbo options for Winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Hi JB, I use the Tacx Flow in ERG mode all the time and find it great. I think I saw you used to use a Tacx also. Do you find any major benefits to the Wahoo over the TACX (in any mode but specifically in ERG mode) that ties in with the price difference :eek:

EC1000 wrote: »
    Hi JB, I use the Tacx Flow in ERG mode all the time and find it great. I think I saw you used to use a Tacx also. Do you find any major benefits to the Wahoo over the TACX (in any mode but specifically in ERG mode) that ties in with the price difference :eek:

Yes i found sometimes that the tacx would drift and be inconsistent in readings from ride to ride, even after calibrating. Different story with the wahoo though, as i mentioned i have had srms on at the same time and it matches to within a few watts on ERG mode and any other mode for that matter.

Don't get me wrong tacx's do a job but you're messing about with cables, laptop and the software is buggy as hell if you are running any of their VR machines. The wahoo is not worth the money if only using an hour a week but if you are doing 3/4 sessions a week its worth the investment.

Thurs 9th - VO2 interval session on the menu as 7x3mins all between @ 320w-330w with 2x1 at the end holding 400w. Struggled through this session but it got done.
    60mins - 242wAP/267wNP

Fri 10th - 45min easy, low HR/high cadence spinning out the legs from last nights session. Had alarm set for 3.30am as flying to Madrid today with work but awoke at 2.30am & could not get back asleep.

Sat 11th -3hr turbo with 5x15min sweet spot. My attempts to get out early were foiled by two little messers, Hannah & Lauren. I was likely too tired to head out early anyway from an 16hr work day door to door on the Fri.
    Opted for an evening turbo whilst watching Kona coverage. 1hr easy holding around 190-200w and then into 5x15min SS holding around 245-250w with 5min recoveries. Felt good throughout and time flew by watching the Kona coverage. http://tpks.ws/QlDj
    3hrs,92.7km,220wAP/229wNP

Sun 12th - 2hrs easy spin. Got out in the evening for 2hrs easy, lovely evening and enjoyed spinning the legs out.
    1:49,51.3kms,28.2kmph.

Week 2 - Good week overall and can already see some improvements at this early stage. Feels like i may need to test again at the end of this block of training to keep zones relevant. Weight has kept steady this week, i did not eat well at the weekend so need to keep on top of this.
    Z1-Z3 easy work accounted for 10hrs 55mins and Z4-Z6 work accounted for 2hrs 35mins, so about 19% of the week made up of moderate/hard intensity work.
    13hrs 30mins
    396.3kms
    9789kj
    857tss

Mon 13th - 45min easy spin at lunchtime
    49mins,23kms,28kmph

Tues 14th - BG session. Session was another step up from last week to 5x7mins. Cadence hovering around 50rpm. All 5 intervals around 280/290w. 2x1 thrown in at the end holding 400w.....more done to keep my AP over 250w..,darn OCD.
    60mins 252wAP/265wNP

Wed 15th - 2hrs pre work easy spin again. Being honest I think I would struggle getting up for these midweek at 5.30am only for the fact you are meeting someone else out on the road as mad as you being out at that time:pac:. Going to try continue these midweek over Winter if I can. 2.01,50.1kms/25kmph

Thurs 16th - VO2 interval session tonight and it stung like a mofo. Stepping up session from 3min intervals to 4mins. Does not sound like much but by god that extra minute really seems like forever.
    5x4mins started off at 315w but tailed off to 305w on the last one. Might repeat this session next week and hold off progressing further until power is repeatable across all reps even though it's not a huge drop off.
    60mins - 244wAP/268wNP

80k of commuting also thrown in there for the first 4 days of this week, all recovery/easy though.

• Advertisement

Are you making your training up as you go along or being coached?

Are you making your training up as you go along or being coached?

Making it up as I go along, how dare you. :). No have been self coached for a good while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Do you not miss running at all?

Poor AKW must be feeling the pinch since you stopped buying from him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »

My impending return to high volume running should help offset a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »

Say hello to my Yin & Yang - Fran & Dave :)

Haha poor AKW. No not missing running at the moment as i am justy enjoying the bike so much. I am noticing the difference a singular focus is having rather than being **** at all 3 discplines:o
    tunney wrote: »
    Do you not have enough shoes already, worse than RQ!
    AKW wrote: »
    Say hello to my Yin & Yang - Fran & Dave :)
    If you stocked some good cycling winter gear i would be all over that. Do you have any more of those 2xu winter tights, decent rain/wind proof gear and any winter cycling tops?
    Time to broaden your offering:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Haha poor AKW. No not missing running at the moment as i am justy enjoying the bike so much. I am noticing the difference a singular focus is having rather than being **** at all 3 discplines:o

Do you not have enough shoes already, worse than RQ!

If you stocked some good cycling winter gear i would be all over that. Do you have any more of those 2xu winter tights, decent rain/wind proof gear and any winter cycling tops?
    Time to broaden your offering:)

May be something in the offing. Tell you later, sorry gottarun ;)

Fri 17th - 45min HC - Nice and easy maintaining a cadence over 90. 46mins,21.7kms,28.1kmph,160w

Sat 18th - 3.5hrs coffee ride. Was due to do some climbs but opted for coffee and scones instead. 3.30,93.3kms,26.6kmph,198w

Sun 19th - 1.5hr turbo with some work. Out with the family all day so left this until the evening to get done. I found it hard to concentrate whilst the smells of a Sunday roast cooking away made its way into the man cave.
    5x10mins at threshold included, all reps a few watts under/over. decent enough session. I did throw in 1min max effort towards the end of the session and only managed 496w. 1.30, 49.9kms,231wAP/253wNP

Week 3
    Overall it was an ok week, was a little tired midweek as work was ramping up again. Z4-Z6 work only accounted for 2hrs 8mins for the week, so a bit on the low side, around 15% made up of moderate/hard intensity work.
    Need to be careful i do not become a winter warrior again and build into winter slowly and be race ready come Feb/March.
    I will do one more week in this block and take a recovery week the following week, coincides nicely with a weekend away with the better half.
    Weight stats this morning, 70.5kg, 23.7bmi, 14.6%BF and 42.7% muscle.

13hrs 53mins
    381kms
    9236kj
    850tss

Mon 20th - 45 easy, as it says on the tin. 183w/22.1kms

Tue 21st - Had a half hour spare at lunch so just hopped onto the rollers. Happily i did not fall off but i reckon 30/40mins is the max i could endure on them. Good for HC/easy work though. 140w

65min BG session. 6x7 on the menu last night. 2.5% slope and in the 53/11 grinding away at 45rpm. I was a little ragged on the last one and was moving around too much on the bike!. Power not that important on these but 280w/277w/283w/283w/286w/287w on the last one. 65mins, 33.2kms, 247wAP/260wNP.http://tpks.ws/T8Of

Wed 22nd - 2hr easy pre work spin. Out with Liam again dodging traffic on the N2 into Slane at stupid o clock. 1.56, 52.1kms, 191w

Busy night tonight, i have 20 ladies (and a few lads) coming to the house. A few of my DCM marathon charges are in the full blown taper madness stage, time to try and be a calming influence and settle some nerves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Wed 22nd - 2hr easy pre work spin. Out with Liam again dodging traffic on the N2 into Slane at stupid o clock. 1.56, 52.1kms, 191w

how do you find these spins JB? I'm contemplating trying to get one of my midweek spns in early in the morning in the dark, can drive out to the N7(pretty wide hard shoulder all the way) and do an hour to 90 minutes with lights, little nervous about it though.

Advertisement