Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

always bad to come off but positive side it could have been so much worse...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Always awful to hear that someone from Team Boards has taken a spill. Glad there was no permanent damage, to you or the bike. I wish you rapid healing.

We all like to stay out and training but its a warning to all to be careful out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

When your first thought is "hows the jacket" or Bike you are usually ok, :rolleyes:

on the Ras Mumhan do you plan to ride a few A1/2 races before hand, I would suggest the Des as that baptism of fire, the start is fast and the rolling terrain rips the legs out of you and of course its a proper distance race.

p.s. hope the body is on the mend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Need to get myself onto a team for Ras Mumhan. I need to have the fear of a big race hanging over me to keep me focused and training away to a decent level. Also mindful 15 weeks is a long time for consistent training without the reward of racing. I wish race season would come around quick!

Get out and race a duathlon.. Jog, Hammer, Jog.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

sounds like you could do with a drop of that Chianti:) hope its nothing more than bumps and bruises and your back training hard in the next day or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

mossym wrote: »
    always bad to come off but positive side it could have been so much worse...
    Yeah got away lightly, I think road rash could have been much worse if I did not have a few layers on, also there was a signpost pole not far from where I landed, would have been painful if I hit it.
    BennyMul wrote: »
    When your first thought is "hows the jacket" or Bike you are usually ok, :rolleyes:

on the Ras Mumhan do you plan to ride a few A1/2 races before hand, I would suggest the Des as that baptism of fire, the start is fast and the rolling terrain rips the legs out of you and of course its a proper distance race.

p.s. hope the body is on the mend.

Ha very good. Will ride scratch with a1s and a2s in the league races and a few a3 races. Des is on the list alright, must start at looking to enter into some of the races
    mloc123 wrote: »
    Get out and race a duathlon.. Jog, Hammer, Jog.

Too competitive to just jog the run parts :) might be an option although have ran 3 times since August.
    Pmaldini wrote: »
    sounds like you could do with a drop of that Chianti:) hope its nothing more than bumps and bruises and your back training hard in the next day or so.

What about the steak as well? Turbo tonight will tell me if this will be an easy week!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oopsie...and ouchie! Heal fast!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You fall off your bike more than I fall off mine...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

How many times have you been on your bike RQ? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Solobally8 wrote: »
    How many times have you been on your bike RQ? :pac:

So far, in January, I have like equalled my entire 2014 bike time :) :P

(yes it's mostly been turbo but I could fall off the turbo quite easily)

• Advertisement

Well if you do something regular enough like cycling that can tend to happen, you would not know though.:)

Mon 12th
    22km commute

Tolerance reps
    Fell asleep with Minnie (our new dog) on the couch and woke up around 10pm. Had decided to reschedule the session as it was so late but changed my mind and jumped on to see how this battered body would respond. Respond it did, telling me this sort of intensity is hurting please stop:p. 24mins in total of on/off work alternating 350w/270w as 20/40sec. Short snappy session at 45mins and i was sweating buckets. Still very sore though but getting better, should be able to get a decent weeks training in without much impact on the plan.
    45mins, 249w AP, 277w NP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Had decided to reschedule the session as it was so late but changed my mind and jumped on

...after being inspired by Anita doing her session even though she was tired and hungry :D:D

Solobally8 wrote: »
    ...after being inspired by Anita doing her session even though she was tired and hungry :D:D
    :)
    That and the fact i did not want to get up at 5.30 am the following morning to get it done:)

Tues 13th
    8km commute - short way in/out as roads are dangerous, crawled home in the snow as could not get a lift.

55min turbo w/Neuromuscular Power Bursts
    Glad not too much time will be spent in Z7:eek:. Neuro power bursts for 30secs with 90sec recovery with a 3min recovery after every 5 with 15 of these in total.
    These are short but by god they sting the legs as most efforts are 160-170 of FTP. Started off over 500w although last few in the last set of 5, dipped slightly under as the legs were tiring. Good session but not entirely happy with it until i hold 500w+ for all of them.
    At least it feels like the weekends fall is not impacting as much on the sessions as i thought...or i am choosing to ignore it.
    55mins, 215wAP, 270wNP (gap between AP & NP tells a story)

Wed 14th
    1hr 45 silly o clock turbo

Roads lethal so usual midweek spin was switched to a turbo.
    Nothing fancy just easy at 180/90w watching some Netflix, glad of the easier work after the short but aggressive sessions on Mon/Tues, legs needed this.

No commutes today, roads are lethal

https://www.change.org/p/please-support-john-duggan-in-his-fight-with-the-irish-government-the-hse-to-get-the-drug-that-he-has-been-prescribed-needs

Please sign this petition if you can, Johns mother works with me. Its wrong that the HSE put a price on a life of a young man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

done, hope it gets sorted,

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Signed, that's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

done

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

b6c1695d1042857529f41774f3cdc66f.jpeg

Saw this and thought of you and Mrs Jackback

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Didn't realise you put on so much weight on holidays Fran :pac:

Thurs 15th
    50min turbo - With 35mins steady around 260w

Fri 16th
    50min turbo - Some 1min efforts thrown in, 400-450w

Sat 17th
    2hr 40 turbo - Spent the entire 2hr 40 wishing i was out on the road. Threw in an all out 1min and 5min effort and hit peak power on both so at least that was something

Sun 18th
    4hr turbo with work -
    Really good session and one of the better long turbos i have done although i had discomfort with right shoulder.
    An hour easy followed by 6x10 BG steady around 260w with full 10min recovery. Last hour seen some steady work and some 10x1mins around 340-350w. 233w for the 4hrs, body tired after it and could have went for a snooze, the kids had other plans!

Week 16
    A better week but slightly lower volume against plan with the lack of extended easy commutes with bad weather. Overall the quality work was there and thats what counts. Not happy with this shoulder though and it really was painful after a few hours on the long turbo yesterday, feels like its sitting there ready to pop out (previously disclocated).
    Looking like another week of turbos and weekend of long turbos. Ben is doing a 5k park run this weekend and wants me to run it with him, a strong possibility he is going to drop me!
    14hrs, 440kms, 934tss

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Ras Mumhan entries now online...

just saying...:)

mossym wrote: »
    Ras Mumhan entries now online...

just saying...:)

Seen that, looking unlikely to get another 5 for a team so not sure what the story is now for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Seen that, looking unlikely to get another 5 for a team so not sure what the story is now for it.

I thought someone had told me there were 3 looking to do it so far (you weren't one of them). You could probably get one guest if you needed. (Albeit, what the races people /say/ they're doing in January isn't always too reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Gorey perhaps? Going to do that one myself. No upper or lower limit either (i think)

if choosing the Gorey; get ur entry in early as usually sells out very quickly.
    A great race loved it every time I rode it.

Bambaata wrote: »
    Gorey perhaps? Going to do that one myself. No upper or lower limit either (i think)
    BennyMul wrote: »
    if choosing the Gorey; get ur entry in early as usually sells out very quickly.
    A great race loved it every time I rode it.

Gorey does not float my boat, having watched and heard how hard the racing in RM is it's why I have reasons for doing it. I think I have made it clear I want to be a man of the RAS at some stage and this will be a good tester stage race (which might give me a reality check :))

Not getting any younger!

Gorey does not float my boat, having watched and heard how hard the racing in RM is it's why I have reasons for doing it. I think I have made it clear I want to be a man of the RAS at some stage and this will be a good tester stage race (which might give me a reality check :))

Not getting any younger!

Believe me I agree you need to be racing with the "big boys" if you have any hope of racing the Ras (as I assume you do not want to be a number)

the option of the Gorey was just a thought to get you fast hard racing, and to give experience of navigating through a massive bunch (usually 200),
    Or skip Easter and ride a good few A1 races and then race the Tour of Ulster.

just a thought:)

Week 17 update
    I will not even try remember day by day for last week. A bit of dejavu from this time last year with work going nuts again for the next few weeks & months, ah well.

Week was brutal training wise Mon-Fri, i was so fatigued from work (mentally) that i struggled doing any quality and just could not hit the numbers. Only quality sessions of note was 2x20 at 260-270w which was a struggle and tolerance reps 25ses/35sec for 10minutes done 3 times. Normally hold 360-370w for the on and 270w for the off, had to settle for 30w less on both. It really highlights how outside stresses can impact on ones training.

Highlights of the week was two runs, one on Wednesday whilst Ben did his training around the track. Threw in some 400s hitting 82, about 8-10secs slower than when run fit:pac:

Saturday seen Bens first 5k at the Oldbridge park run. He enjoyed it, i enjoyed it, twas great fun. He went off fast for the first 2k (sub 25 pace) but struggled in km 3 & 4k to finish in 28mins. He did somehow manage to push hard for the last 400mtrs and outsprint me.

Coming to the finish line a few run club peeps & Michelle with the kids warned me not to dare overtake and beat him...little did they know i was flat out sprinting at the time but could not close him down:eek:
    Reckon he has a load of fast twitch fibres, coaches reckon he is more a track runner and 400-800mtrs could be his distance.

Total of 9hrs at the weekend, reflects how bad training was during the week!

11hrs 45
    10.35 bike, 319km
    1.10 run, 14km
    755 tss

All fun and smiles
    ben1_zps3oam4olp.jpg
    After he emptied the tank after his sprint antics
    ben2_zpsizujzfen.jpg

Mon 26th
    AC Efforts
    A better turbo than recent ones, Long long day in work and nearly scrapped session. 15x1min efforts with equal recovery, holding 400w for each
    60mins, 229wAP, 271wNP

Tues 27th
    14hrs work day, rest day

Wed 28th
    Up and out with Liam rolling at 5:30am, enjoyed this although wind was rough. Mainly easy but grinding it out in the 53/25 into some strong headwinds.

Thurs 29th
    5x5 building
    First session in a while i can hang my hat on. Annoying day in work, I seem to do my best sessions when angry and taking out my frustration on the bike. 5x5 constant building from 300,320,340,360,380w, needed to increase recovery from 2 to 3 between each. First 3mins fine and last 2 hurt like hell but I was in the zone to suffer. Finished with 4x1 on/off at 420w/200w. Maybe I have not lost that much power since before Xmas or perhaps I just need to stay angry all the time:) Find out in two weeks for the first race of the season.
    60mins, 269wAP, 304wNP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Thurs 29th
    5x5 building
    First session in a while i can hang my hat on. Annoying day in work, I seem to do my best sessions when angry and taking out my frustration on the bike. 5x5 constant building from 300,320,340,360,380w, needed to increase recovery from 2 to 3 between each. First 3mins fine and last 2 hurt like hell but I was in the zone to suffer. Finished with 4x1 on/off at 420w/200w. Maybe I have not lost that much power since before Xmas or perhaps I just need to stay angry all the time:) Find out in two weeks for the first race of the season.
    60mins, 269wAP, 304wNP

I call these my "f@ck you" sessions. Best ones I put down by a long shot! ;)

Advertisement