Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Not sure if your still looking but Velorevolution had a post on the book of face this morning looking for 2 riders for their 2nd team in the Ras Mumhan. It's on the velo revolution works team page.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

First race the Traders Cup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

RJM85 wrote: »
    First race the Traders Cup?

There is one a week before that but i notice it is only 60k, hardly worth the drive to Newbridge for it, so yeah Traders the first one.

Fri 30th
    50min Karaoke turbo
    Recovery turbo at 185w, 5x4min karoke efforts with some Ed Sheeran, Hozier, Guetta renditions thrown in. Michelle was in stitches listening to me belt out a few tunes:) Kept it very easy, legs destroyed after Thursdays session

Sat 31st
    4hr ride with 1.5hr balls out
    I had planned on 3hrs easy as needed to back for a 10am kick off for Ryans footie, rolling out at 6am. First 2hrs was grand, last 1.5hr-2hrs was pretty much close to or at threshold. Knew when i turned back for home i was screwed avg less than 20kmph into a strong headwind. Managed to get home just in time to throw on some clothes and dash off to the match to watch Ryans team come from 2-0 to win 3-2 in the cup.
    Pretty close to bonking towards the end of this as done on empty, legs killing me now.
    3.50, 98km

Signed up for Ras Mumhan http://www.rasmumhan.com/?p=1474. Nothing like a bit of fear and dread hanging over you to keep training honest!:eek:

Sun 01st Feb
    4hrs with a few up/overs and some sprints
    Out with Liam, mainly easy with some up/overs around threshold. Included 5x15sec all out sprints with full recovery, had to choose when to do these carefully as roads were a little dodgy with the ice. You really push that little extra in the sprints when you have a donkey farmer chasing your wheel.
    Not sure what power was being put out on the sprints as SRMS are off for a battery replacement but i reckon they were solid enough.
    Really enjoyed this spin as i expected a turbo instead. I did notice i was very tired by the end of it and struggled to stay on Liams wheel on the last climb up Tullyesker, it has been a busy week all round with work etc.
    4hrs, 108km, 135ahr

Week 18
    12hrs 22
    348km
    876tss

Lucky to get the 12.5hrs in with the week that was in it. 3hrs down on plan but i won't beat myself up over it. Ideally i would like a big week this week and next week then into recovery before race season kicks off.

Best of luck this morning

• Advertisement

RJM85 wrote: »
    Best of luck this morning

Interesting weather this morning!

Interesting weather this morning!

To say the least! I was a bit envious actually. Proper Belgian racing!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,057 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just popped in for the first time in a while. Noticed you were racing yesterday.
    How'd you get on Fran and hows the training been in general?

Mellor wrote: »
    Just popped in for the first time in a while. Noticed you were racing yesterday.
    How'd you get on Fran and hows the training been in general?

Training hit & miss lately with work and sickness but overall a solid Winter. Not really loggging my training on here any more, if struggling to find time to train i certainly dont have time to be writing about it:)

Says a lot when I am only getting a chance for a quick update after a month:)

5 races so far this season

Traders Cup: got in an early break and got caught, caught between the bunch and chasing a 2nd break when the A1s/A2s (handicapped race) blew the race apart. Missed the crucial break of the day after recovering from a UCD attack. Finished front of the main bunch but two smaller groups and all the points up the road. Felt strong and finished with a few from the A3 and A2 group. Conditions were atrocious but I enjoyed it.

Mick Lally Memorial: caught behind a crash and never got back on to the back, was not feeling great

Cycleways Cup: cycled over with Liam, caught in a snow blizzard on the way over and waited around in cold/wet gear and was in a bad way. Against better judgement paid my money and started, had to stop after 15mins in to the race as I was too far gone with the cold and could not change gears or brake properly. Painful day.

Boyne GP: Tough race, made a few moves but missed the winning break that went early (need to learn who the strong guys in A3) to go with. To be honest this race was so tough I questioned if Ras Mumhain was such a good idea. Finished in the main bunch and looking at race data after confirmed how tough the race was.

St Patrick's Day Race: Finally felt like I did in A4 races, in complete control and involved. Got in two early breaks which did not stick, once again did not get with the winning bunch. Drove it for long periods on the front and riding tempo, why guys felt the need to attack and blow up 15secs later rather than contributing to keeping the pace up and closing the group ahead is beyond me. With 3k to go there was a good few went down beside me, one guy fell across me and I managed to avoid a gnarly 45kmph crash by keeping it upright on the grass verge. Did not go all out at the end (what was the point) and came over somewhere in 15-20th place. A much needed confidence booster.

Really enjoying the frequent bike racing and a different focus to previous years although under no illusions that Ras Mumhain will be a big challenge

• Advertisement

I found 'follow the juniors' to be a fairly decent strategy for breaks that will stick in my limited time in A3...

The Des Hanlon
    Probably one of the toughest one day races on the cycling calendar and i certainly found it to be one of the toughest races i have been in. Balls out when hitting Castlecomer the first time and there was bodies everywhere.
    I ended up finishing in a small grupetto of 4 (originally 12) that finished behind what was left of the bunch, probably 30 or 40 in total. There was A3 groups still rolling in 15mins after.
    I worked like a demon the last hour and toed a few lads along for the last few kms. I was never in danger of contesting at any stage but would have been happier to finish in the small bunch...gas thing is i probably worked harder when i got detached than riding in the bunch:)

Good solid days racing and new levels of suffering found as i actually raced above threshold for an hour of it, guess i need to adjust future sessions again and realign the CG:)

Next race for me is a little 4 day race down in Kerry, man i am going to be punching well above my weight but i like a challenge:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

That's a lot of mquote="jackyback;94816537"]The Des Hanlon
    Probably one of the toughest one day races on the cycling calendar and i certainly found it to be one of the toughest races i have been in. Balls out when hitting Castlecomer the first time and there was bodies everywhere.
    I ended up finishing in a small grupetto of 4 (originally 12) that finished behind what was left of the bunch, probably 30 or 40 in total. There was A3 groups still rolling in 15mins after.
    I worked like a demon the last hour and toed a few lads along for the last few kms. I was never in danger of contesting at any stage but would have been happier to finish in the small bunch...gas thing is i probably worked harder when i got detached than riding in the bunch:)

Good solid days racing and new levels of suffering found as i actually raced above threshold for an hour of it, guess i need to adjust future sessions again and realign the CG:)

Next race for me is a little 4 day race down in Kerry, man i am going to be punching well above my weight but i like a challenge:)[/quote]

???
    Looks like your post got mashed Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

ups i said thats a lot of work over "ftp" . Why do you think you got your ftp so wrong, or do you think as you kind of suggested this was the first time you really pushed to your limit ? Bravo btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

So when are you going to upload the Des to strava so we can have a gawk ;-) ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    ups i said thats a lot of work over "ftp" . Why do you think you got your ftp so wrong, or do you think as you kind of suggested this was the first time you really pushed to your limit ? Bravo btw.

Depends if it was AP or NP (or both) that was over

peter kern wrote: »

Its not that far off in fairness and only slightly over current number but need to factor it was in the middle of a 3hr race so one would assume you could go harder for an hour.
    I do suffer well on the turbo but you will always find that extra % in a race setting. I suppose with a race normally you dont get those breaks like you do during intervals on the turbo, its just constant work below and above, way above threshold.
    I have less focus on absolute FTP this year compared to when tri focussed. I am spending more time focusing on power below 5mins and being able to tolerate and deal with multiple accelerations. Call it fartlek cycling if you will:) I cannot remember the last time i officially done a T5/T20 but tbh honest i think a better guide (for me anyway) is how sessions feel and looking at race data and being in tune with your body.
    Whilst power is great for tri it has less relevance in bike racing, unless bridging across or away up the road and you need to measure your effor. If you are at threshold and the wheel in front goes, you got to follow and ignnore the numbers.
    Bambaata wrote: »
    So when are you going to upload the Des to strava so we can have a gawk ;-) ??
    Learning quickly that cyclists are a bunch of cute hoorers and besides not a user of Strava, srm wired dont upload there anyhow.
    tunney wrote: »
    Depends if it was AP or NP (or both) that was over
    No just NP with AP below. Unlike tri you will always have a big VI in a bike race.....waits on comment about NP being a makey up number, i know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Best of luck this weekend! I'll be following with great interest

Ras Mumhan
    Let me preface this by saying I knew I was taking a big risk tackling this race instead of taking the more sensible and easier approach of Gorey or TON. But this is me and I seem to have a default setting of making things tough on my self and setting unrealistic challenges & targets.:o

What should have been 4 days of hard racing turned into 1, did not make the cut. We set out from Killorglin on our way to Killarney at what was a ferocious pace, 50kmph avg to be exact. After the first 10k in I was working hard, extremely hard, I had already seen 185hr flash before me as everyone was keen to let loose on the first day.
    Shortly after I mistakingly shifted down and off the front derailer and in the process jamming my chain trying to shimmy it back on, quick 10sec stop (might as well of been 10mins) and I was in the cars and off the back. The next 15k or so consisted of me riding like a loon between the cars to try get back on, whilst I was holding 48kmph between the cars I was only keeping the bunch 200mtrs in my line of sight. I got to the first KOH and it looked like I might get back on....they went up it hard and I blew my lights out going over it to try get back on.
    What resulted after was a mostly solo tt effort for about 70k with a slim chance of being within the cut off. Gave it everything and even though I was averaging 35/36kmph on my own the Peleton were going 10kmph+ faster. Missed the cut off by a measly 70secs, commissaries held firm on start of stage 2 and after pleading my case twice I was not allowed ride, power tripping d1ck. This is not the TDF and a bit of compassion and common sense should have been shown, I guess rules are rules

Back to drawing board for me, even with slipped chain I reckon I would have struggled with that pace although would have had a better chance getting into a group. Ended up helping the team out in stage 2 & 3 when I wanted to be miles away. At least some good news is that Liam is flying it and closing in on a top 20 in GC overall.
    This race is fvking nuts, from riding it and observing it from the team car. It gave me a real appreciation that I am nowhere near that level, put firmly back in my box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

"Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly." ~John F. Kennedy

I applaud your lack of fear. And no doubt this was eye opening and educational for you. Use what you learned. You'll be back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

+1 what Dory said.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    And no doubt this was eye opening and educational for you. Use what you learned. You'll be back. :)

Oh I learnt a lot alright, don't jump from A4 to A3 to racing with the best in the country in the space of one season :). Hurry slowly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Dont beat your self up,
    that is a very hard race, would you have been better served taking the "easier option" who cares,
    you now know where you stand and what the gaps are to race the Ras. (not using the term ride)

Do you know anyone with a small moped, bike etc, if so borrow them for motor pacing, learn to ride and sit on wheels at 50kph+
    Also when you go out the back for puncture or mechanical the key is not to panic, you lose all focus and chase like a biatch to get back and more often waste too much energy and if you do make it back you are swinging for ages and anything can spit you back out,
    just get into the cars and sit there till there is a slight stall and then move up as many as you can, and repeat until you are safely in the bunch, remembering the last piece is the hardest to close as there are no cars,

Come the Suir Valley you will be prepared and really ready.

You raise a valid point with panicking when chasing back on. Probably the worst time to try get back on is the first 30mins of a multi stage race as guys are so full of beans. I ended up riding well over Threshold for the first 40mins trying to get back on and once we hit the Kilcummin climb my lights went out going up it as I nearly got back on.
    TBH RAS will never happen, need to readjust to happily racing A3 and hoping to pick up a result here or there.

Re moped, Dolan is pretty good for moto pacing when doing intervals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

You have four kids and a high pressure job. Many people give themselves an out with one or no kids and normal jobs.

Cut yourself some slack and be happy with enoying yourself and doing what you. It's at a level high than most.

TBH RAS will never happen, need to readjust to happily racing A3 and hoping to pick up a result here or there.

From what I've seen, some of the guys in the club who have managed the Ras are not necessarily anything special on the bike (obviously some, like Liam and BMC actually are phenomenal bikers) - they just committed to the hours necessary and built up to it. Like you said - it's about hurrying slowly. Bike racing is as much if not moreso about being smart as being strong. You have the work ethic - just keep plugging away and learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Given your location I'm surprised you haven't jumped into A1 racing... ;)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCT1dA3WYAEBNpF.jpg:large

I was over the disappointment of Ras Mumhan and back racing and training after a decent showing at last Sunday's A3 race. Yesterday morning I was stopped in my tracks. Hit by a car in what appears to be a hit and run on my morning commute into work leaving me apparently laying in the middle of the road unconscious.
    Details are still a bit sketchy as I was out cold for a while, suffering now and in a lot of pain and cannot sleep but thankfully nothing broken. My wife heard mention of a fractured bone in my neck after the X Rays but thankfully the CT is showing some wear and tear but nothing appears to be broken.
    Don't know what really to think, a combination of thanking my lucky stars that I was wearing a helmet but from talks today it's going to take some rehab and a long road to recover from the head trauma. Rather confused at the moment and I suppose keeping a record of some of my thoughts as I have been told I wont be right for a bit and will forget things. Poor Michelle, kids and my parents are very upset, sense of guilt on my behalf for putting them through it.
    Image might be a bit NSFW but could you imagine the impact without wearing the helmet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Good god, you're the male version of Solobally8!! :eek:;) Thank the lucky stars above you are "okay". Speedy and full recovery to you....and the very best healing mojo heading your way!

Advertisement