Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So yeah forget her.... Found another one. We're talking about... You'll never believe this...
    Warhammer!!!
    I kid you not! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Are you going to judge her by what she collected in the old warhammer? Stay away from the nurgle girls!

Only the purity of the Emperor interests me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Been on okcupid for a few years, my mates in college made me join and we all did the various tests which tell you more about yourself and such. Bit of a laugh. I've never really plucked up the courage to message women on the site and such though. Dunno just not my style, have never met a girl through it as i think the general rule is for the lads to engage first.

Glad to see it's workin out for others though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 King Henry

After reading the posts here I actually decided not to start online dating last year but, having thought about it a bit more (and having spent another single Christmas when everyone around me seems to be married), I'm going to give it a go.

The thing is deciding on which site to register for. There's conflicting reports on different site so I'm thinking I'm going to try one paid one (possibly Match.ie as it's being advertised quite heavily on TV at the moment) and Plenty of Fish as there seems to be, from people I've spoken to, at least a lot of people on it.

So, a question for the guys here who have experience online dating, does this seem an ok approach?

• Advertisement

Well i've never used a paid site. I just think it's a bit exploitive (ie: aking money from people's loniliness). That said, ask me again in 5 years and see if I feel the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I re-joined plenty of fish a couple of weeks ago.I didnt have any pics on public however put alot of effort into my profile.Got a couple of people mailing me,chatted with one girl for about 10 days then met her Thursday night.Spent from 8.00 pm until 3.00 am talking and having a laugh,met her again last night and spent a similar amount of time with her and we are going for dinner and drinks next weekend too.:)

She said the reason she messaged me in the first place is because my profile made her laugh and had information personal to me in it eg my aspirations and out look on life.

Moral of the story is,make an effort with your profile when joining any dating site,it really makes a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 King Henry

That's an encouraging story Nedtheshed. Best of luck - hope all works out well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Josh_Calvert

Okcupid is smaller but has slightly better girls on it...pof has a few gems on it too...beware though it's actually not any easier than other ways of getting results...in the sense that you still have to be the cocky borderline sociopathic sex fiend in both cases.

And the women hiding their true motivations thing applies doubly online.The more they protest about not wanting sex the more they're on the dong carousel before heading off travelling or if theyre lost their job etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Okcupid is smaller but has slightly better girls on it...pof has a few gems on it too...beware though it's actually not any easier than other ways of getting results...in the sense that you still have to be the cocky borderline sociopathic sex fiend in both cases.

And the women hiding their true motivations thing applies doubly online.The more they protest about not wanting sex the more they're on the dong carousel before heading off travelling or if theyre lost their job etc...

I never use the rolleyes smiley, but you've no idea how much I want to right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Josh_Calvert

so I've just said women will do say pretend anything NOT to be revealed as having the same dating motivations as men? And your response is to do the faux amused irritation thing? :D Is there an emoticon for seeing right through you?

so I've just said women will do say pretend anything NOT to be revealed as having the same dating motivations as men? And your response is to do the faux amused irritation thing? :D Is there an emoticon for seeing right through you?

No, you've just said any woman who says she's not looking for sex is lying ("The more they protest about not wanting sex the more they're on the dong carousel") and that women are only attracted to assholes ("in the sense that you still have to be the cocky borderline sociopathic sex fiend"), which are absolutely stupid statements to make. But suit yourself.

Ooh. I didn't know this was being discussed here too. I've tried smooch.com (diabolical!), connectingsingles.com (great if you're into older women, usually 30s-40s, but terrible for anything else), POF.com (God.. the quality of women on there is something awful. Text speak galore, seriously puts me off a person) and OKCupid.com (love it, great people!).

I've found that if you put an effort in to your profile and in to your messages, you're more likely to get a response. There's a small sense of achievement when someone who replies very selectively (on OKCupid) replies to your message.

This will probably sound a bit cruel, but there is a great feature on okcupid - when you are searching there is a button beside every profile saying 'hide'. Basically when you click it this user no longer appears on your searches. Its a handy way of filtering out people you don't like and stops your searches becoming repetitive.

Galvasean wrote: »
    This will probably sound a bit cruel, but there is a great feature on okcupid - when you are searching there is a button beside every profile saying 'hide'. Basically when you click it this user no longer appears on your searches. Its a handy way of filtering out people you don't like and stops your searches becoming repetitive.

God, it's the best feature on OKCupid. It's great if you send someone a message, they don't reply, then you can just hide them and not worry about them again. It's ridiculous that POF hasn't got a similar feature, especially when you block somebody!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

so I've just said women will do say pretend anything NOT to be revealed as having the same dating motivations as men?

Josh - this is your first and only warning. I refer to the charter. This is not up for discussion - you post like this again, and you're getting a three month ban. Do not reply to this warning on thread.

tbh wrote: »
    There is an expected standard of effort when posting in this forum.
    Lazy generalizations fall below this standard.
    Comments regarding personality traits which begin with words like "women just want to" or "all men are" are never true, and never serve any purpose except to inflame other users who feel the need to post to object to them them.

Therefore, they will be regarded as flaming (posting a intentionally provocative post with the deliberate intention of bringing the thread off-topic) and users may be banned or infracted at the mods discretion.

The mods will not be under any obligation to give any further warnings before enforcing this, or any charter rules.

It is your responsibility to make yourselves aware of the rules of posting here

Ignorance of the rules will not be accepted as an excuse

If in doubt - PM one of the mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

nedtheshed wrote: »
    I re-joined plenty of fish a couple of weeks ago.I didnt have any pics on public however put alot of effort into my profile.Got a couple of people mailing me,chatted with one girl for about 10 days then met her Thursday night.Spent from 8.00 pm until 3.00 am talking and having a laugh,met her again last night and spent a similar amount of time with her and we are going for dinner and drinks next weekend too.:)

She said the reason she messaged me in the first place is because my profile made her laugh and had information personal to me in it eg my aspirations and out look on life.

Moral of the story is,make an effort with your profile when joining any dating site,it really makes a difference.

If you put that 200 word post into a 200 page book, you would make a fortune :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I ended up leaving Okcupid. It's a good site but there just didn't seem to be enough active users on it.

I'm still using connectingsingles which i've had the most luck with. I've actually had a few women send me a message first whereas that never happened on PoF or Okcupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭TheNewMee

Galvasean wrote: »

What if you've been on there long enough and used the hide button often enough that a search in your area only returns 1.5 pages?
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

TheNewMee wrote: »
    What if you've been on there long enough and used the hide button often enough that a search in your area only returns 1.5 pages?

then you need to have a serious think about your standards ;)

• Advertisement

Finally having a bit of luck

... maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

The thing that really annoys me on a lot of profiles (particularly those in late 20's early 30's) is the phrase ' I never thought I'd be on a website like this'.

Well I'm sorry you feel you had to 'lower' yourself to this level......but you're here so shut up already!!! :mad:

.......Rant over......as you were :)

TheNewMee wrote: »

I'd rather sift through 1.5 pages of good profiles than 15 pages of rubbish ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Corkblowin wrote: »
    The thing that really annoys me on a lot of profiles (particularly those in late 20's early 30's) is the phrase ' I never thought I'd be on a website like this'.

Well I'm sorry you feel you had to 'lower' yourself to this level......but you're here so shut up already!!! :mad:

.......Rant over......as you were :)

What gets my goat is when females have nothing but gibberish in their profile where they have mashed the keypad just to fill up space or have
    I dont know what to put here,I hate filling these things out etc

in their profile yet have the audacity to add at the end
    Please send me a message thats more substantial than just hi,how are you.

WTF like?:mad:

I wonder do females encounter the same thing on blokes profiles?

What gets my goat is when females have nothing but gibberish in their profile where they have mashed the keypad just to fill up space or have

in their profile yet have the audacity to add at the end

WTF like?:mad:

God, god, god that really annoys me. Or when women complain about only getting "hey, how are you?" messages when they put no effort in to their profile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭TheNewMee

That seems to be very common on PoF and not so much on OKC thankfully. The whole structure of signing up to PoF is almost designed to be too easy because you don't really have any incentive to write a decent profile.

Avoid such women. Simples ;)

Not really, in the equivalent of this men'll usually just have a blank profile/one-cop out line, probably about how 'i dn't kno how 2 discribe myself", a phone cam bathroom pic of only their torso, and a line saying "msg me if u r interested"

I think most men who have those kinds of profiles just want sex, I've never really seen one with an otherwise blank profile asking for something more substantial in a message.

I do have to say that there's feckloads of these sorts of profiles, though, haven't seen nearly as many women's profiles like that.

Ah the blessed torso, assuming you are lean enough to begin with it is by far the easiest way to trick women into thinking you're hot part of the male body to tone up in terms of muscular appearance.

*sneaks off to do a few sit ups*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

To me, doing things online is no different then doing things in a pub / club...

There's just this weird element attached to it, because it's on a website.

But yeah, how you fill out your profile is crucial as most of ye have mentioned the last few posts. I put a lot of humour into how I did mine, which was intended to be a reflection on my personality.

If you can't fill'em out, other people aren't really going to know weither or not there's something to be interested about.

Hell, it can be hard enough to talk with someone in a club at times when you don't have a clue what to talk about, it can be just as bewildering online.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement