Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm a her, invading tgc :o
    No, we still are, and no awkward questions. I think everyone knows I'm a total nerd anyway so they're like "oh right ok"
    It's a LDR so that tends to be more of the talking point

my apologises Mrs BlueWolf :)
    couple of things what does tgc and LDR mean ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Leelaa22 wrote: »
    my apologises Mrs BlueWolf :)
    couple of things what does tgc and LDR mean ?
    tgc = the gentlemens club, this forum
    ldr = long distance relationship
    Whats WoW??

world of warcraft ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,723 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

The Gentlemans Club.
    Long Distance Relationships.
    Will have to keep a close eye on this thread too!
    I'm on okcupid, basically tried sending a few emails since May, got a few replys, in at least 2 instances I could almost feel myself sliding into an online friendszone! (thats how amazing I am at online dating!) Some of the girls that have replied are great craic to converse with, haven't gotten round to actually setting up a date yet, but thats more of a travel distance fault than anything else. Just try being yourself I guess, my page hasn't been viewed a whole lot lately as it happens, going to have to get back ranting there again!:D

bluewolf wrote: »
    tgc = the gentlemens club, this forum
    ldr = long distance relationship

world of warcraft ;)

thank you for clearin that up for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I'm on okcupid too actually, find it's the best in general-- get more quality in terms of replies and there's stuff to fill your time with when you're bored.

Met one guy off it so far and it went really well, although I'm not sure it's going to go anywhere.. no fault of online dating; just brought some issues to the surface that I'd thought I'd dealt with that I obviously haven't.

I've no qualms about it though, never met anyone weird off the internet before, they all turned out to be fairly normal. Why can't I ever get a crazy person? They sound like great craic :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

thank you for clearin that up for me :D

Is that what they do in the Games Workshop with the plastic toys?? Lord of the ring plastic figures and all that?

Or is it one of those fantasy games you play in the forest?

I dunno...never heard of this World of Warcraft..seems a funny place to meet someone just going by the name (in a curious way i ask)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Its an online game,there are literally millions of players.Google it.South Park did an awesome parody of it which is a good indicator of just how big it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,723 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

well, if that test I'm after taking is anything to go by, I'll be dating Julia Roberts should I ever visit the oul wood of the Holly(wood). Think I might answer some questions to improve my match, my highest possible match so far is 99.5%..so close!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I met a load of people on WoW(some of them were girls, I kid you not!) would have loved to meet them IRL, but I made the error of playing on a server full of south Americans and Bulgarians. Not practical.
    Pen pals ftw

Is that what they do in the Games Workshop with the plastic toys?? Lord of the ring plastic figures and all that?

Or is it one of those fantasy games you play in the forest?

I dunno...never heard of this World of Warcraft..seems a funny place to meet someone just going by the name (in a curious way i ask)

OH WOW you have never heard of world of warcraft!!! do you not watch south park!!!!

• Advertisement

Warhammer is the one with the little figurines. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

liah wrote: »

Neddy spent many,many a night painting his War-Hammer/Hero Quest figuenenes.Last time was up on 16 years ago.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

OH WOW you have never heard of world of warcraft!!! do you not watch south park!!!!

No I dont actually. I live in France and French TV is so bad, i cant justify paying a TV licence for it or buying a TV. I might have heard the Simpsons once in French and had to turn it off.
    Doesnt sound like something that many Irish women would be into...i mean i will play 1 or 2 goes on the Xbox, but thats about it before I get bored.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

No I dont actually. I live in France and French TV is so bad, i cant justify paying a TV licence for it or buying a TV. I might have heard the Simpsons once in French and had to turn it off.
    Doesnt sound like something that many Irish women would be into...i mean i will play 1 or 2 goes on the Xbox, but thats about it before I get bored.

Plenty of us irish women are gamers thank you very much!!

well at least *some* anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Late to this thread, but I think I may have lost faith in humanity, talk of vomit and cleveland steamers, some people are weird tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

liah wrote: »
    nedtheshed wrote: »
    Neddy spent many,many a night painting his War-Hammer/Hero Quest figuenenes.Last time was up on 16 years ago.:)

That takes me back... Actually sold off nearly all of my Warhammer recently. Deadly hobby to have when you're twelve though.

What's this okupid site? And how does it differ from most other sites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Galvasean wrote: »
    That takes me back... Actually sold off nearly all of my Warhammer recently. Deadly hobby to have when you're twelve though.

What's this okupid site? And how does it differ from most other sites?

I think it's probably the best one. Most people on it have fairly detailed profiles so it's easy to get a decent idea of a person from their profile comparedto sites like plentyofffish where the average profile is "I'm sound, i like going out clubbing and getting drunk"etc. Also you can answer loads of questions the answers of which are used to calucalte your compatibility with other users.

The downside is there does'nt seem to be a lot of active irish users on it well at least with people my age anyway.

I've tried nearly all of them at this stage, okcupid is the only one I've bothered sticking with. I'm not sure why, I just seem to get more quality and less stupid timewasting crap.

Plus there's loads of other stuff to do on the site in the between-times.

Is it very VERY odd that I wandered around connectinsingles just there listening to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

It could be worse, you could have been listening to NIN - Closer.

You don't want that song influencing any messages you might send to ladies...

• Advertisement

Boredom beckons... Well, ockupid, let's see what ya got for me! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Don't forget to mention in your profile your Warhammer hobby, you will have to fend them all off with your thunder hammer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Wow I tried registering on plentyoffish.com what a waste of time.
    It accepts nothing ,I give up.
    I've tried all combinations of letters what a piece of ****.
    I guess you don't get anything for free in this life.
    I used to be a member of it before a few months ago and it was ****ing useless.
    I never met anyone and no-one visited my profile.
    Maybe I need to emmigrate I don't think I'll ever find a girl interested in me here anyway.
    I don't care anyway that's life Ireland's ****, probably time to get out of here.
    Women were always heartless and soulless over here ,any women I met were anyway.I really can't say I ever met a nice girl here.
    There really is nothing here for me and I should leave and I probably will.
    Only reason I stay here is because of my family and friends.
    I'm never going to meet a girl over here though. If I stay here I'm going to be single for the rest of my life.
    Get a visa and go to the US, I guarantee the women over there are mad about Irish lads, honestly mate, spent a year there and heading back soon aswell.

At the same time though, you've got it wrong about Ireland, a bit of self-confidence, optimism and positivity is all you need, work on it.

Maguined wrote: »
    Don't forget to mention in your profile your Warhammer hobby, you will have to fend them all off with your thunder hammer!

Don't forget the storm shield ;)
    Boredom beckons... Well, ockupid, let's see what ya got for me! :pac:

holy crap, that site is good! i register and it recommends me this beautiful girl straight away, we get chatting, have loads in common, she totally gets me and I'm pretty sure we're going on a date soon!

whoa.jpg

Told ya dude. :p I don't know why OkCupid is different, but it is. Much higher quality of reply. Wouldn't use anything else anymore tbh.

I think it's the questions element. It actually makes it easy to find people of similar interests and opinions. Other sites are just, "Heres someone in your area/age bracket, go for it!"

I think it's the questions element. It actually makes it easy to find people of similar interests and opinions. Other sites are just, "Heres someone in your area/age bracket, go for it!"

That's true.

It's actually odd, on any other site the ratio would be 9/10 in favour of "hey how r u fancy a chat? xx"

On OkCupid, it's 9/10 the reverse. I get great replies, and only every so often is someone lazy about it, and they're usually from somewhere in the Middle East going on about marriage or something :pac:

That reminds me someone on connectingsingles sent me a flower this morning... from Idaho. She was nice but... not that nice.

That reminds me someone on connectingsingles sent me a flower this morning... from Idaho. She was nice but... not that nice.

Yep, so far the biggest problem I've run into for the most part is simple geography! Figures. I should really start picking places that actually have, you know.. people in them, instead of towns that constantly force people to ask "how the hell did you end up there?" :pac:

• Advertisement

holy crap, that site is good! i register and it recommends me this beautiful girl straight away, we get chatting, have loads in common, she totally gets me and I'm pretty sure we're going on a date soon!

whoa.jpg

And then, Sean woke up...

facebookforeveralone.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement