Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest Sh!thole in Ireland

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Where council estates out number private residences and where really unless you're happy to work in the local petrol station or some IDA backed factory for the almost retarded , you haven't got a hope of getting a job! I'll put up a little poll of where I think should be nominated

Amazing I am one of family of 6 kids from Tallaght (One of the council houses mentioned above) 5/6 all educated to Degree or beyond & all working and contributing to society and 3 of them still living in Tallaght. Its amazing how some peoples small minded perceptions effect their views on the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Can't believe Portadown has not been mentioned. It has the general scumminess that applies to the bad areas of Limerick and Tallaght plus a load of sectarian hatred to boot.

Id imagine the OP is talking about the 26 counties as he dosnt include any towns or cities from the 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Can't believe Portadown has not been mentioned. It has the general scumminess that applies to the bad areas of Limerick and Tallaght plus a load of sectarian hatred to boot.

Meh, I like Portadown.... Tis a fine place :) Craigavon on the other hand.... ;)

Back to the south. Now Duleek hasn't been mentioned, a place beyond hateful filled with high horses and general misery. At least Drogheda got a dishonourable mention!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Newcastle West deserves a mention. Its about half way between Limerick City and Tralee, next door to Rathkeale. To add insult to injury, its inbred inhabitants are actually proud of the dismally violent little hamlet. Odds are one of them will challenge me to a fight in the square (their weekly social highlight) over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Killarney smells of piss for half the year and has some of the smallest overpriced hotel rooms in the country. Those chancers know how to inflate prices.
    The surrounding area is nice though.
    The same could be said for a few other "cultural hotspots".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Cannot believe nobody's said Monaghan
    My family are from Monaghan so I've spent a lot of time there over the years. It is a bleak place with an ancient population, and there doesn't seem to be much to do there other than go to Mass. Every time I go there, more stores in the shopping centre have closed down to the extent that they outnumber the businesses still in operation. The place feels dead and taking a stroll around tends to put me on a bit of a downer. I can only imagine what it must feel like to live there and be out of work.

But it doesn't seem like a rough place. Granted, I only go there for family visits so I haven't really witnessed what it's like at night. But walking around the town there doesn't seem to be a lot of unsavoury sorts floating around, compared to the likes of, say, Tralee. And for me, to a qualify as a true ****hole I think a town or village has to have a very rough element combined with a grim appearance and a general feeling of general hopelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Cannot believe nobody's said Monaghan yet, woeful place altogether
    Also a not so honorable mention

Athy
    Athlone
    Ballinasloe
    Enniscorthy
    Gorey
    Bishopstown in Cork
    Letterkenny
    Portloaise

And Kildare town, g'way with your Newbridge, Kildare is waaaay worse

Really wouldn't put Bishopstown in the same category of ****hole as the other places you've mentioned. It just a boring, mostly middle class suburb. Far greater kips out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Those who voted for Galway City, are you just trolling or do you have genuine issues with the place?

If so, how is Galway a ****hole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

kraggy wrote: »
    Those who voted for Galway City, are you just trolling or do you have genuine issues with the place?

If so, how is Galway a ****hole?
    No idea how, it just is. Eyre square is the dog-turd atop the poop-pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Dundalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

I'm from Dundalk and went to college in Tralee and can easily say that there are FAR worse places around the country. Newcastle West, Gort and Drogheda being some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Where's the biggest sh!thole in Ireland guys. Somewhere where yob culture is ripe and gangs and pikeys alike run the show. Where council estates out number private residences and where really unless you're happy to work in the local petrol station or some IDA backed factory for the almost retarded , you haven't got a hope of getting a job! I'll put up a little poll of where I think should be nominated :p

I'm almost tempted to get infracted or banned for you but that would be retarted. Most excellently speedy edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Don't think anyone has mentioned Carrick-on-Suit yet, I have never liked Youghal either. I know someone who claims that Dungarvan is dog rough and has a nicer rep than it deserves. Never been there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Unless you're talking about somewhere the size of a park or estate there is no where in Ireland that its fair to describe as a sh!thole. Unless you're talking about a toilet.

Advertisement