Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

What a load of sh1te this Garmin Connect really is!

It won't let me send a workout to my 410 now, when I select "send to device" the next window is blank where it should give me a choice of devices to send it to.

Do they even bother with any kind of quality control with their software at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

pointer28 wrote: »
    What a load of sh1te this Garmin Connect really is!

It won't let me send a workout to my 410 now, when I select "send to device" the next window is blank where it should give me a choice of devices to send it to.

Do they even bother with any kind of quality control with their software at all?

Are you using the classic view for garmin? I had the same problem. It worked fine once I switched to the new view rather than classic.

Classic used to work fine, then I switched to modern and it wouldn't work for me, so I switched back to classic and now that won't work for me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 OTD FM

I have a Forerunner 220 for the last year and have received a replacement item from Garmin 2 weeks ago after I sent it back due to a fault.

Over the last week all of my runs have been named as something completely different than "Untitled" as it usually would save and it is definitely not a default Garmin phrase.

Is there any way to change how it is saving?

Thanks in advance.

Seems to be doing that for everyone. Just change the title manually with the "edit" function in GC.

• Advertisement

Really? Is everyone's showing the same thing?

Mine is naming all activities "crossmaglen running" which has no relevance to me at all.

Wonder is is to do with the latest firmware update.

Garmin don't seem to carry out any kind of QC or testing of their products before release, so it's probably something to do with that.

Mine is giving me Newtownhamilton every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

How do I upload activities from FR10 to modern garmin connect?

Used to use the upload button in classic but this is not working and I don't see an upload option in modern.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

axe2grind wrote: »
    How do I upload activities from FR10 to modern garmin connect?

Used to use the upload button in classic but this is not working and I don't see an upload option in modern.

Should be a device sync in the left hand side ANAV (2 arrows at 45 degrees)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Should be a device sync in the left hand side ANAV (2 arrows at 45 degrees)
    I see that. It has my 220 listed but does not seem to "see" the FR10
    Garmin express doesn't find it either.

• Advertisement

Update,
    I updated Garmin express to see if it would work with my fr10 and now its not working at all. Program does not open, just hangs indefinitely.
    This on a Mac

and on the other current topic, my activities are also auto titled, seems to depend on the location of the activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Technique

Garmin 610 with HRM now on Amazon for £129. Free postage to the UK, so probably worth the €3.50 with Parcel Motel (works out at about €165 all in).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

OTD FM wrote: »
    Really? Is everyone's showing the same thing?

Mine is naming all activities "crossmaglen running" which has no relevance to me at all.

Wonder is is to do with the latest firmware update.

yup me too, came on here to see if anyone else was having similar problem. Has anyone contacted Garmin? going to email them now anyway, total pain having to change every run manually, I usually only rename races..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

Mine has been acting up since Christmas (FR10) - random titles (Kilkeel and Crossmaglen are popular spots, by all accounts!), unable to edit or add manual activities, and now the dashboard won't open in either modern or classic mode.

Edit: About 5 mins after I wrote the above, the classic dashboard opened for me. Can't access the modern version though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

I'm getting the Kilkeel thing too.

On a positive note they appear to have added a 'Gear' feature for tracking shoe mileage but it seems a bit untested to be honest - can't find an option for adding pre-existing mileage on to runners - can only start at 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

frash wrote: »
    I'm getting the Kilkeel thing too.

On a positive note they appear to have added a 'Gear' feature for tracking shoe mileage but it seems a bit untested to be honest - can't find an option for adding pre-existing mileage on to runners - can only start at 0.
    It's a PEBCAK. You can't associate mileage with a shoe, before the date that you started using the shoe. Go back and edit the gear, and push the 'First Use' date back to when you started using the shoe and then for any activities that you used that shoe, simply add the gear for that activity. If you don't know which shoes you wore for which activities, then just lower the max mileage for that particular shoe (e.g. 500 miles minus what you have done already). Or alternatively, create a manual workout, add in the appropriate miles, and associate that gear with the manual activity. Set it to roller-blading or something, if you don't want to have it appear under your running miles for reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice workaround, but it sounds more like a PEB programmer's ears to me.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice workaround, but it sounds more like a PEB programmer's ears to me.
    Yeah, it probably should be more customizable, but the problem is that once you start screwing around with the numbers, you can't go back. This way, total miles is locked specifically to workouts. You lose customisability, in favour of data integrity. Strava seems to handle gear the same way, and GC seems to copy everything that Strava does, so unlikely it'll change.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Rashers23

I have had all of the uploading problems recently too and seem to be forced to use modern view also. It has made uploading data so problematic and time-consuming.
    However some of my runs won't upload at all and I keep getting an error message. Has anyone else found a solution to this? My only workaround was to join Strava, upload the run to that (which worked fine) and then added the link as a manual activity in Connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have a Forerunner 110. A message saying 'Memory Full' came up on my watch after locating satellites. It would not let me start a run. I thought the garmin automatically deleted old runs to make space. Googling it, it seems to be happening to others but with no easy solution. Is a reset the trick?

Thanks

EDIT:
    I deleted all the history activities from the watch by going into History and then pressing the Start button and Reset button together. An option comes up saying 'Delete activity'. Clicked Yes and then an option comes up to 'Delete all activities'. I ok'd this and after a bit the History was empty.
    This didn't solve the problem for others as they had to delete folders in the Garmin drive on the laptop.
    I will know more the next time I go out with the garmin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

Dropped my 910xt and cracked the LCD...it turns on and lights up but shows nothing. The glass may have a crack but it's hard to tell.

Does anybody repair these in Ireland or do I need to send to the UK? Anybody have an idea how much this may set me back? I only got it before xmas on the Amazon deal so I am gutted!

Firedance wrote: »
    yup me too, came on here to see if anyone else was having similar problem. Has anyone contacted Garmin? going to email them now anyway, total pain having to change every run manually, I usually only rename races..

Hi Firedance. Mine are still renaming. I've sent a support email through the Garmin website today!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Does it really matter what name your workout has?

I rename them all anyway. Having an 'untitled' workout agitates my OCD. Kilkeel annoys me even more though. It's lies!

Is the new 'gear' thing working for everyone?

I just cannot get it to add mileage to the runners.
    I did what Krusty said & set the date to a year ago.
    Made up some rollerblading activity to add in the existing mileage
    Added the 'gear' to recent runs
    But still the mileage is '0 of 500' - not even the rollerblading is showing up!

I'm usually quite technical but for some reason I can't get this feature to work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I rename them all anyway. Having an 'untitled' workout agitates my OCD. Kilkeel annoys me even more though. It's lies!

Heh. I used to do that too, at first. Not anymore though, because LIFE'S TOO SHORT, DUDE.

Is the new 'gear' thing working for everyone?

I just cannot get it to add mileage to the runners.
    I did what Krusty said & set the date to a year ago.
    Made up some rollerblading activity to add in the existing mileage
    Added the 'gear' to recent runs
    But still the mileage is '0 of 500' - not even the rollerblading is showing up!

I'm usually quite technical but for some reason I can't get this feature to work!
    Did you add the shoes to that activity? Maybe it's not reading from manual activities. Could you just reduce the max mileage of the shoe to what you theoretically have left?

e.g. if you've already done 200 miles in the shoe and usually get 500 miles out of a pair, why not set the max mileage to 300 miles, then add the shoe to all future activities as normal.

Did you add the shoes to that activity? Maybe it's not reading from manual activities. Could you just reduce the max mileage of the shoe to what you theoretically have left?

e.g. if you've already done 200 miles in the shoe and usually get 500 miles out of a pair, why not set the max mileage to 300 miles, then add the shoe to all future activities as normal.

Thanks but it's not just the manual activity.

I have some runs in there that were synced from the ForeRunner220.
    When I edit them & add a 'Gear' the mileage of the run is not added to the shoe I selected.
    It's mileage just remains at zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I envy your non OCD outlook on life RQ! it shouldn't but it soooo does, especially when its WRONG.. Strava name the workouts based on the area you actually did the workout so it can be done, its just Garmin being lazy.

Haven't tried the gear feature yet Frash.

• Advertisement

Thanks but it's not just the manual activity.

I have some runs in there that were synced from the ForeRunner220.
    When I edit them & add a 'Gear' the mileage of the run is not added to the shoe I selected.
    It's mileage just remains at zero.
    That's strange. It's working fine for me.

Advertisement