Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Just looking at this video and the map at the start of this thread. Is this mainly an online build in which case can it be designated as motorway or will it have to remain as a HQDC N classification?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jayuu wrote: »
    Just looking at this video and the map at the start of this thread. Is this mainly an online build in which case can it be designated as motorway or will it have to remain as a HQDC N classification?

Its not online - the few places where it subsumes the existing road bed there's realignments. M classification isn't assured though as it wasn't redesignated yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Great video. Will you do one both northbound and southbound during the height of rush hour on Friday evenings. For the archives :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

Great video. Will you do one both northbound and southbound during the height of rush hour on Friday evenings. For the archives :)

I do shift work so fortunately always miss the rush hour traffic, but will try catch it if I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

Coincidentally, here's a video southbound from Friday 16 August 2013 at about 17:30 until the battery died on my GoPro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Overall it looked as though you made similar use of the hard shoulder and chevrons as the hated white van man.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Gonna be 80km/h from tomoroow apparently, which will result in about 60km/h even at quiet times! Is it going to be like this until its finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭jd

Murtinho wrote: »
    Gonna be 80km/h from tomoroow apparently, which will result in about 60km/h even at quiet times! Is it going to be like this until its finished?
    From where to where?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

jd wrote: »
    From where to where?

Sign says 16.5km from Dual Carriage Merge at Wicklow Town, so I would say the whole section from The Bee Hive to Arklow Dual Carriageway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I drove the N11 from Arklow to Dublin this evening and noticed that site clearance of the route is complete but no substantial earthworks have begun - why the delay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Gonna be 80km/h from tomorrow apparently, which will result in about 60km/h even at quiet times! Is it going to be like this until its finished?

Correct didn't hear myself so maybe the real work will start now:D

From 7am in morning until the 1st September 2014 the speed limit will be 80kph along the entire stretch of road.
    Section 10 of the Road Traffic Act, 2004
    Special Speed Limit at Road Works
    Works on the Rathnew to Arklow Road Improvement Scheme Road Works
    Speed Limit Order No.2 of 2013

Works on the Rathnew to Arklow Road Improvement Scheme has just commenced.

Notice is hereby given that in exercise of the powers vested under Section 10 of the Road Traffic Act, 2004, and in the interest of safety, it is necessary to make a Road Works Speed Limit Order, in respect of the area where the works are to be carried out.

Subject to the Road Works Speed Limit Order No. 2 of 2013, 80 kilometres per hour shall be the Road Works Speed Limit for mechanically propelled vehicles on the roads as specified in the First Schedule hereto. These special speed limits to apply from 07:00 hours on Monday, 9th September, 2013, until 06:59 hours on Monday, 1st September, 2014, or such earlier date as may be determined by Wicklow County Council.

Schedule of works

Map A Rathnew to bends

Map B bends to barndarrig

Map C Barndarrig to below jack whites

Map D Jack whites to scratenagh

Map E scratenagh to arklow rugby club

All took From Wicklow.ie

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I drove the N11 from Arklow to Dublin this evening and noticed that site clearance of the route is complete but no substantial earthworks have begun - why the delay?
    It's a project in itself to get the heavy gear on site -and it probably had to be sourced as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

Quite a few (80) speed limit signs were put in place over the last couple of days. Seems to be a reasonable amount of work being done at the Arklow end, haven't seen that much elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Poochie05

ITDept wrote: »
    Quite a few (80) speed limit signs were put in place over the last couple of days. Seems to be a reasonable amount of work being done at the Arklow end, haven't seen that much elsewhere.

They were putting them up on Sunday morning as I was driving from Dublin to Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The works have really notched up a gear in the past week. Plenty of ground works on the Arklow side of the bends.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

What are they doing on the northbound side of Inch? Is that where the new petrol stations and restaurants are going to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

What are they doing on the northbound side of Inch? Is that where the new petrol stations and restaurants are going to be?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

Ongoing project updates: http://www.n7n11.ie/n11-update/

September newsletter for the project: http://www.n7n11.ie/public/images/N7-N11_newsletter_Sep_2013.pdf

I didn't realise that they had also taken on the operation and maintenance of the existing Arklow and Gorey bypasses.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

number_1 wrote: »
    I didn't realise that they had also taken on the operation and maintenance of the existing Arklow and Gorey bypasses.

Nearly all existing motorways have gone under some form of care/maintenance contract now, usually with the adjoining PPP concessionaire if there is one.

Interesting response re Coillte access.
    info@n7n11.ie

Dear jd,

Thank you for your enquiry.
    The new section of N11 will be dual carriageway and of sufficient standard to be re-designated as motorway. There are no plans for re-designation at present. The route of the new road is to the west of the Ballinameesda bends; the Coillte access will be from the existing N11 which will be re-designated as a Regional Road when the new section is opened to traffic.

Regards,
    N11 Arklow-Rathnew PPP Ltd

• Advertisement

jd wrote: »
    Interesting response re Coillte access.

Peculiar to have the road "regional" surely it's the epitome of local, 5 digit local too.

The construction co. would have no part of deciding about redesign action anyway

Peculiar to have the road "regional" surely it's the epitome of local, 5 digit local too.

The construction co. would have no part of deciding about redesign action anyway

Redefining bypassed N roads as regional is pretty much expected.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

So there are no plans to redesignate. Though I still reckon they'll do it prior to opening before they've ordered the signage to save having to change all of it later.

spacetweek wrote: »
    So there are no plans to redesignate. Though I still reckon they'll do it prior to opening before they've ordered the signage to save having to change all of it later.

Me too. It makes very little sense to have 8km of motorway (Coynes Cross to Rathnew) followed by 16km of HQDC (Rathnew to Arklow) followed by 30 km of Motorway (Arklow-Clogh).

MYOB wrote: »
    Redefining bypassed N roads as regional is pretty much expected.

Ahh, I read it as the coillte access route was to be designated r, makes sense now

Does anyone else notice the mistake in these photos??:rolleyes:

1382235_10151683578330878_1625866102_n.jpg

558647_10151683582335878_1998513785_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I like that Gorey is in the genitive case; at least we know the translator understood tuiseal ginideach at school. It is M11 at Gorey, isn't it?

Marcusm wrote: »
    I like that Gorey is in the genitive case; at least we know the translator understood tuiseal ginideach at school. It is M11 at Gorey, isn't it?

The location of the sign is wrong that's the end of the Rathnew bypass heading towards arklow.:eek:
    I am pretty sure i seen the 16.5km dual carriageway sign outside the site for the service area heading north from Gorey

The M11 service station will be built on the N11.

• Advertisement

The M11 service station will be built on the N11.

It wont be built where that sign is that's for sure lol

Advertisement