Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Froyo rolling out this week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Hogzy wrote: »
    Yeah off to Milton Keynes. Had to package it myself and send it away myself despite being 3weeks old. Aparently if i returned it through meteor it they have to send it to their repairs dept in Dublin who then have to send it to the UK. Its quicker to send it to the UK myself and pay postage. Sent it last Wednesday registered post and it STILL hasnt been delivered to HTC. Really pissed off.

I was under the impression when talking to the HTC guys in Bournemouth, that they would send a courier delivered package to me and I then put the phone in it and off it goes. In fact I had this confirmed twice.

I have no real problem sending it off myself, other than the cost. I can see it taking a month to do the round trip from the UK to here. I wonder if they would let someone pick it up from Milton Keynes, most of my friends live or work there.......

How did you find the guys on the phone in the call center?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Posting this from iPad using htc hotspot, works great, also checked out RTE player, works pretty well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

downloading to my unbranded desire now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Posting this from iPad using htc hotspot, works great, also checked out RTE player, works pretty well:D

Watching Liverpool on Setanta Ireland and using GAA Media Player to watch the football :D
    Streams just as good as through a desktop browser. It seemed to overlay a picture over the video firstly, but after I zoomed and moved a few things around its working brillianty!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

How did you find the guys on the phone in the call center?

I wasnt told any of that. I was on to an Italian call center (quite random) and they said because i didnt live in the UK i had to send it away myself. I was a little shocked tbh i thought under law they would be required to collect it from me.
    When i was on the phone to the person in Italy they gave me the address and stuff to send it and told me to write down what was wrong with it and my contact details and return address and put it in with the phone. So i did that and sent it off about an hour later. Came home from the post office and found an email with 2 attachments. One had instructions on what to put in the package adding that i had to put in proof of purchase (which the Italian person on the phone didnt tell me about, nor did they tell me I would be getting an email), the other form was called a tick sheet which had all my detail on it with a reference number which i also had to include with the phone.

I was livid that the person in the call center didnt tell me this. Im really worried that the phone will either take ages to repair or ill never see it again.
    Have to say i am very disappointed with their Customer Care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Hogzy wrote: »
    I wasnt told any of that. I was on to an Italian call center (quite random) and they said because i didnt live in the UK i had to send it away myself. I was a little shocked tbh i thought under law they would be required to collect it from me.
    When i was on the phone to the person in Italy they gave me the address and stuff to send it and told me to write down what was wrong with it and my contact details and return address and put it in with the phone. So i did that and sent it off about an hour later. Came home from the post office and found an email with 2 attachments. One had instructions on what to put in the package adding that i had to put in proof of purchase (which the Italian person on the phone didnt tell me about, nor did they tell me I would be getting an email), the other form was called a tick sheet which had all my detail on it with a reference number which i also had to include with the phone.

I was livid that the person in the call center didnt tell me this. Im really worried that the phone will either take ages to repair or ill never see it again.
    Have to say i am very disappointed with their Customer Care.

My experience could not have been different, I was told about the email, and told I did not need proof of purchase.

I received the email a before we ended the phone conversation and all it says to include in the package is the phone, there is a section on the check sheet for accessories and proof of per, but these are blank. He told me to just send the phone, no SD, no charger, no box, just put it is a decent Jiffy bag.

I will give them a call on Monday to see when I can expect the package to arrive. On the ticket tracker it says they are still awaiting the phone to be delivered. It would not surprise me if the Irish address is holding things up.

You could try calling the MK repair center directly and explain your concerns........?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Downloading now. Update 2.09 something something. 90 odd meg file.

Unbranded Desire from carphone warehouse on meteor fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Downloading now, unfortunately I'm in a remote part of the countryside right now so its crawling along via Edge, but I just can't wait until I'm back in Dublin tonight to get it. At 53%...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Downloaded it now and im on 75% install :) cant wait to mess around with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

As I just asked in the other thread too, any of you with o1 branded but unloced devices?
    I'm running the opendesire release on a rooted handset. Do I need to restore back to stock 2.1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Downloading now on Wifi :)

What are the main things one should know about Froyo ?

Edit: I hit install and the phone turned off and back on, but now it seems frozen with an Exclamation mark in a triangle and a small Android robot beside it. Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

My experience could not have been different, I was told about the email, and told I did not need proof of purchase.

I received the email a before we ended the phone conversation and all it says to include in the package is the phone, there is a section on the check sheet for accessories and proof of per, but these are blank. He told me to just send the phone, no SD, no charger, no box, just put it is a decent Jiffy bag.

I will give them a call on Monday to see when I can expect the package to arrive. On the ticket tracker it says they are still awaiting the phone to be delivered. It would not surprise me if the Irish address is holding things up.

You could try calling the MK repair center directly and explain your concerns........?

I called them up (got the number from google businesses) but the person who answered told me to call customer care (ie the Italian Call Center). It was of the impression that she was like a secretary at the front desk. She answered by saying. "Hello HTC Europe, how can i direct your call"... I was like ehhhh?
    I really feel as if i am being kept out of the loop which is really worrying me. The 2 Italian people i have dealt with so far were extremely rude and just didnt give a dam. One of them asked why i didnt put a receipt in with the phone(after i explained the whole situation). I said because i wasnt told to.
    I really hate spending so much money on a product and getting treated like dirt when something goes wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

Cianos wrote: »
    Downloading now on Wifi :)

What are the main things one should know about Froyo ?

Edit: I hit install and the phone turned off and back on, but now it seems frozen with an Exclamation mark in a triangle and a small Android robot beside it. Is this normal?

Are you rooted? If so you'll need to download the zip manually from http://liveimage.htc.com/OTA_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.09.405.8-1.21.405.2_release4dua3bcrut4wrv30.zip then rename it to update.zip and install through your recovery console (such as ClockworkMod)

Popple3 wrote: »
    Are you rooted? If so you'll need to download the zip manually from http://liveimage.htc.com/OTA_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.09.405.8-1.21.405.2_release4dua3bcrut4wrv30.zip then rename it to update.zip and install through your recovery console (such as ClockworkMod)

Nope I'm not rooted. I did make it about half way through the rooting process but couldn't complete because I was using Windows 7.

Nope I'm not rooted. I did make it about half way through the rooting process but couldn't complete because I was using Windows 7.

It's possible maybe that it got as far as installing ClockworkMod

Turn on your phone while holding the volume down button, and a HBOOT menu should appear, go down to RECOVERY using the volume buttons, and press the power button when it's highlighted.

If you see ClockworkMod coming up, you are in fact rooted, and need to do the install from there.

It's possible maybe that it got as far as installing ClockworkMod

Turn on your phone while holding the volume down button, and a HBOOT menu should appear, go down to RECOVERY using the volume buttons, and press the power button when it's highlighted.

If you see ClockworkMod coming up, you are in fact rooted, and need to do the install from there.

Yeah ClockwordMod is coming up alright, but I don't think I got all the way through the rooting process. So, do I just download that .zip file and transfer it over to the root menu of the phone, and then navigate to it through ClockwordMod?

thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Just got Froyo update. Took 30 mins between some reboots but now I'm back in and wow it's great. So fast and some nice stuff too. Can't wait to see more details and play around with it a bit more.

Yeah ClockwordMod is coming up alright, but I don't think I got all the way through the rooting process. So, do I just download that .zip file and transfer it over to the root menu of the phone, and then navigate to it through ClockwordMod?

thanks for the help.

That's exactly it, just stick update.zip on the root of your SD card and select install sdcard:update.zip (or something like that)

That's exactly it, just stick update.zip on the root of your SD card and select install sdcard:update.zip (or something like that)

I downloaded that zip file, then transferred it to the sd card. I think I named it update.zip.zip, because the ClockwordMod said there was no file called update.zip. So I reconnected and renamed the file, shut down, held volume down while powering on, then selected Recovery but it's now stuck on the green "htc" on white background screen. I tried turning it off to try again but holding down the power button won't do anything. Any tips?

edit: I just took out the battery, put it back in and tried again. It seems to have worked this time and is currently installing the update :)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

#

is this the stock 2.2? if i install this one do i still have root?

thanks

• Advertisement

I downloaded that zip file, then transferred it to the sd card. I think I named it update.zip.zip, because the ClockwordMod said there was no file called update.zip. So I reconnected and renamed the file, shut down, held volume down while powering on, then selected Recovery but it's now stuck on the green "htc" on white background screen. I tried turning it off to try again but holding down the power button won't do anything. Any tips?

Hmmm... I'm not entirely sure now to be honest... :confused:
    Can you still boot into Android?
    ldr wrote: »
    is this the stock 2.2? if i install this one do i still have root?

thanks

No, you will still lose root with this. I think Paul over at modaco is working on a restore image that will keep root, and from what I can tell over on XDA, root will be possible with a fresh 2.2 install (although nothing is yet confirmed)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭yeroulfella

DL it at 13.30 and on 2nd time of trying I got it, didnt have enough memory to install it first time, when it installed I could only view texts, android market, web browser etc with the fone on its side, had to do a factory restore to fix it, my friend also had to do a factory restore to get his browser to work. all is good now tho

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Hmmmm, when I go to the Market to update Apps it says all I have installed is Google Maps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Hmmmm, when I go to the Market to update Apps it says all I have installed is Google Maps?

Same is happening to me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Was hoping I'd be able to batch update them all too.

Oh, just added an app, restarted and now I have the option to 'Update All'.

Keep getting a Missed Call notification on start up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Sparko

Few quick questions about the 2.2 update:

-Does moving apps to the SD card have any downside, i.e. do they take longer to load etc?

-I normally unlock my phone by pressing the power button on top to turn on the screen and then press menu to unlock. This isn't working for me anymore. Anyone else notice this?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Same with me... just installed an app and it didn't show up in Downloads either. Rebooting now

Edit: Reboot solved it.

Also, my wifi strength icon wasn't working but reboot fixed that too. It was at the lowest and I'm sitting beside the bloody router haha.

I see Facebook is integrated into the Calendar app, it's someone's birthday today! And the new Manage Applications screen loads very fast and looks a lot better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Tiesto wrote: »
    vodafone branded desire?

Nope, unbranded one. It did reset the proxy settings on the apn though. Stupid Vodafone live header/footer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

My task killer isn't killing things like 3G watchdog and Juice defender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

No, you will still lose root with this. I think Paul over at modaco is working on a restore image that will keep root, and from what I can tell over on XDA, root will be possible with a fresh 2.2 install (although nothing is yet confirmed)[/QUOTE]

when i check for updates on my desire rooted with stock rom i get this update available

system upgrade 1.21.405.2 (27.07MB) what happens if i download this update?

http://liveimage.htc.com/OTA_Bravo_F...crut4wrv30.zip is this the latest update 2.2?

is this the 2.2 stock update?

Advertisement