Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Froyo rolling out this week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭yeroulfella

emo72 wrote: »
    hi i bought a o2 payg from cpw. i then unlocked it and started using a tesco sim. so will i get an update automatically? or will i have to put
    an o2 sim back in? its o2 branded.
    Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    I got an O2 desire (billpay) from CPW. It doesn't have any branding on it and I just tried a vodafone sim in, it worked without any problems. I guess it makes sense for bill pay to be sim free, after all the mobile network is going to get their money either way.
    I would imagine that if your phone is O2 branded (like mine) then you will have to wait several weeks for the operator-specific Froyo update (as it will be made available by O2 rather than HTC).

I can't see that sim-locking has any relevance to when the update will be available for your Desire.

This info is from the vodafone forum (go to page 3)
    http://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/3689-froyo-desire/page__st__40

Over at androidforums.com they're saying that a phone with
    2.1 Android with software number 1.21.405.2
    is an unbranded desire and will get the update over the weekend.

If your fone is branded like some O2 fones(what get from reading around) then you might have to wait a few weeks for O2 to release it. so I read

I got my Desire from vodafone online store and it seems to be unbranded as I have the software version as mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Over at androidforums.com they're saying that a phone with
    2.1 Android with software number 1.21.405.2
    is an unbranded desire and will get the update over the weekend.

I currently have that version.
    Just did an update check; "phone is up to date" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

So, am I right in thinking that someone will probably release what is essentially a rip of the official ROM that I can flash and keep my root? I need my paid Market ;)

I had OpenDesire installed, but kept locking up on me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

Can't wait!!!

now 15.25pm ..No update yet

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

Popple3 wrote: »
    So, am I right in thinking that someone will probably release what is essentially a rip of the official ROM that I can flash and keep my root? I need my paid Market ;)

same here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

I reckon it is all baloney:mad: No update to speak of as yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

dragona wrote: »
    I reckon it is all baloney:mad: No update to speak of as yet!

Confirmed by HTC as happening.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Its defo confirmed by HTC, but they are doing a gradual role out due to bandwidth, Cant see when it will come to Ireland but probably be pretty late Sunday :p.

From checking sites and twitter no one in Europe with an unbranded Desire has seen the update yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

CombatCow wrote: »
    I dont see how branding would prevent an update, im hoping they mean locked to a network.

Well, if you stop and think about it, branding means that the phone company has already flashed/reflashed your phone with a custom Rom or or bootloader. A component will likely have a different signature or version number. You will have to wait until your phone company patches the upgrade with their branding again.

Locked to a network? What difference does it make if you update via WiFi?
    Get ready for a long wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Well, if you stop and think about it, branding means that the phone company has already flashed/reflashed your phone with a custom Rom or or bootloader. A component will likely have a different signature or version number. You will have to wait until your phone company patches the upgrade with their branding again.

Locked to a network? What difference does it make if you update via WiFi?
    Get ready for a long wait.

Must you be so logical and realistic krusty ;), have you rooted or is that too personal a question? Trying to find out how stable the froyo Rom is. I actually don't like Sense and use Launcher Pro so would be happy with a stock Rom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yeah, I rooted a couple of weeks ago and am running OpenDesire (unofficial Froyo with HTC Sense). I'm not going to bother with the official upgrade. I'll hang on a week or two until it has been patched, and flash the rom then (for the various Froyo bug-fixes, 720p video recording, and improvements introduced by the community).

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Yeah, I rooted a couple of weeks ago and am running OpenDesire (unofficial Froyo with HTC Sense). I'm not going to bother with the official upgrade. I'll hang on a week or two until it has been patched, and flash the rom then (for the various Froyo bug-fixes, 720p video recording, and improvements introduced by the community).
    That's my upgrade plan right there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Anyone given up hope that the update will arrive today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Anyone given up hope that the update will arrive today?

Yep :) No-one has had it yet, nor is likely to methinks....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Guys its here!
    Im downloading it OTA at present!

eireal wrote: »
    Guys its here!

It's true!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Really wish i hadnt chosen this week to return my Desire to HTC to get the rebooting loop fixed. If only i knew Froyo was to be released this weekend i would have waited and see if the new patch would fix the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭SteM

eireal wrote: »
    Guys its here!

Yup, for me too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Same here, check an hour ago, no update, now It's here! :)

I'm on Vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

ich auch!
    this is exciting!!

• Advertisement

Mantel wrote: »
    Same here, check an hour ago, no update, now It's here! :)

I'm on Vodafone.

vodafone branded desire?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Downloading for me too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Hogzy wrote: »
    Really wish i hadnt chosen this week to return my Desire to HTC to get the rebooting loop fixed. If only i knew Froyo was to be released this weekend i would have waited and see if the new patch would fix the problem

I take it your desire went off to the UK?

How long did it take for the package to arrive from HTC to send your phone off in?

So when can we expect Gingerbread!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I take it your desire went off to the UK?

How long did it take for the package to arrive from HTC to send your phone off in?

Yeah off to Milton Keynes. Had to package it myself and send it away myself despite being 3weeks old. Aparently if i returned it through meteor it they have to send it to their repairs dept in Dublin who then have to send it to the UK. Its quicker to send it to the UK myself and pay postage. Sent it last Wednesday registered post and it STILL hasnt been delivered to HTC. Really pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

Oh Coolio,,freed up enough space now just to get the Mrs outa the shops till.I get home to my WiFi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Nothing for me o2 branded desire, am absolutely ragin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Nothing for me o2 branded desire, am absolutely ragin

I did the goldcard debrand 1click root install 1.21 WWE thingumejig yesterday.

Worked fine - green installation bars progressing nicely.

doesnt look different at all..
    Feels a little quicker..

How do i get the new home screen, and whats the deal with streaming from your itunes library?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

Now to sit back and wait for an update.zip I can install...

That'll let me keep root, right?

EDIT: No wait... I need a slightly modified update.zip

Bleh, seems root is possible after looking over at XDA Dev Forum

Advertisement