Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Froyo rolling out this week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Good news :) Shouldn't take the XDA guys too long to push out an updated version of their ROMS including the new release.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

So, will this be coming to O2 phone over the weekend? Are they unlocked like meteor ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

So, will this be coming to O2 phone over the weekend? Are they unlocked like meteor ones?

nope, you will have to wait a few weeks unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Does anyone know of the hero will get froyo OTA? Or will I have to root?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

cojomo2 wrote: »
    nope, you will have to wait a few weeks unfortunately

Just out of curiosity, I'm on vodafone and fairly certain my phone is unlocked (no vf branding etc etc) can anyone confirm if vf units are unlocked or is there a way i can check?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Just out of curiosity, I'm on vodafone and fairly certain my phone is unlocked (no vf branding etc etc) can anyone confirm if vf units are unlocked or is there a way i can check?

well, if the phone is unlocked, and has zero software/hardware branding on it, then you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

I bought my desire in CPW on meteor. There's no meteor branding on it and I'm wondering if its unlocked? Think I read somewhere here that desires bought for meteor in CPW were unlocked but I wouldn't mind knowing for sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Keith186

Most Desires, especially the earlier ones are unlocked.

Have only seen a few people on here in past few monthsmention they were locked and I think they were O2. I don't think CPW ones were locked either.

put an non Vodafone SIM in it.

Just after putting my dad's Vodafone simcard into my Desire (on O2). was able to make calls on it. Looks like my Desire isn't locked.

• Advertisement

Just after putting my dad's Vodafone simcard into my Desire (on O2). was able to make calls on it. Looks like my Desire isn't locked.

Good stuff. Press menu, settings, about phone, system software, check for updates and repeat until you get it! Could be a while tho.

I'm on a flashed froyo sense Rom, much the same as 2.1 but much faster and a few nice add ons...

Been doing that every couple of hours for the last couple of days now. I'd imagine it wont be hitting anytime today. But a man can dream. Was tempted to root the phone. But I think that I'll wait a little bit to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Is yours branded?

Is yours branded?
    Em. Yeah. Everytime I turn it on, the O2 logo pops up. Should that mean I possibly wont get the update yet?

Em. Yeah. Everytime I turn it on, the O2 logo pops up. Should that mean I possibly wont get the update yet?

Don't know. Mine is branded aswell but I'm pretty sure its unlocked. I'm wondering the same thing. I'm o2.

I'll report back here if anything comes my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭emo72

hi i bought a o2 payg from cpw. i then unlocked it and started using a tesco sim. so will i get an update automatically? or will i have to put
    an o2 sim back in? its o2 branded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I bought my desire in CPW on meteor. There's no meteor branding on it and I'm wondering if its unlocked? Think I read somewhere here that desires bought for meteor in CPW were unlocked but I wouldn't mind knowing for sure...
    I got an O2 desire (billpay) from CPW. It doesn't have any branding on it and I just tried a vodafone sim in, it worked without any problems. I guess it makes sense for bill pay to be sim free, after all the mobile network is going to get their money either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    I got an O2 desire (billpay) from CPW. It doesn't have any branding on it and I just tried a vodafone sim in, it worked without any problems. I guess it makes sense for bill pay to be sim free, after all the mobile network is going to get their money either way.
    Not if they're Meteor! weh weh weh

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I would imagine that if your phone is O2 branded (like mine) then you will have to wait several weeks for the operator-specific Froyo update (as it will be made available by O2 rather than HTC).

I can't see that sim-locking has any relevance to when the update will be available for your Desire.

• Advertisement

I would imagine that if your phone is O2 branded (like mine) then you will have to wait several weeks for the operator-specific Froyo update (as it will be made available by O2 rather than HTC).

I can't see that sim-locking has any relevance to when the update will be available for your Desire.

This seems logical to me too unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

For anyone with a branded handset can they flash a stock rom so they can get the update?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

i have the desire rooted, but with original rom, is it possible to get the stock rom update 2.2 but still have the phone rooted?
    does this new update have the same features as the current custom 2.2 open desire rom?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Factory unlocked desire still on 2.1 no updates found as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I dont see how branding would prevent an update, im hoping they mean locked to a network.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

I guess a backup would be a good idea before this comes out.
    Any recommendations for an app?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

johnp wrote: »
    I guess a backup would be a good idea before this comes out.
    Any recommendations for an app?

Titanium backup. It's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

EGriff wrote: »
    Titanium backup. It's free.

Only works if your rooted mind. I could be mistaken, but wouldn't you need to then root and install titanium to restore everything?

The root option may not be available for a couple of days on the new official rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Oh yeah, you're right there floggg I forgot it only worked on rooted phones. There's probably other free ones that don't need a root.

Think the official update won't delete any of your data anyway, said so in one of the links earlier in the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Guys, try "on the fly backup free" from the standard Android market. Allows backup and restore if apps from SD card. Doesn't do sms, bookmarks etc. though.
    If u don't wipe cache or dalvik, I think they might be kept, but don't quote me on that.
    I will be reverting back to stock ROM later 2day in anticipation of the 2.2 update.

Advertisement