Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miss Piggys Battle for the Big Plates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Sunday 20th November-Conditioning

Met up with Henners, Fullback4glin and Shane for some outdoor Sunday afternoon conditioning. Was great craic and a great way to start getting back into doing conditioning. I'll definitely be meeting up with the lads for more of this. just for the laugh.

Block 1
    Hill Sprints
    3 x doubles
    8 singles
    These were sooooo annoying!! Was trying so hard to even only be about 2 metres behind the lads..but it was impossible and wasnt happening!! My little legs just don't go any faster:(

On the positive side...the lads were dying doing the sprints where as I was grand...my duracell motor was on :)

Block 2-10mins
    30sec on/ 30 sec off
    Front squats with 10kg powerbag
    Averaging 16-18..funny how you get competitive when someone else is doing the same as you:D:D

Block 3-10mins
    30 sec on/off
    16 KB swings
    Looong time since I tried these..easy enough.
    Averaging 19 swings

Block 4-15mins
    5 Lunges e/s with 10kg powerbag
    5-10 presses with 10kg powerbag
    10 walkouts with a pushup
    No idea about rounds. Couldn'r really do the walk outs at all...have absolutely no hamstring flexibility so couldnt do them properly.

A good sesson!:)

In hindsight:
    I need to start remembering that after competitions there kind of is a NEED for me to take a good few days off and not think about anything. Had been REALLY tired all week, not motivated to go near a gym and only wanted foods that contained high quantities of sugar.

BUT..:D:Dfeeling pretty good this evening (despite a bit of DOMs from yesterdays and todays session) and my appetite for non sugary foods has come back...wahooo!! I'd confidently say my protein count was probably sub 50g all week..really had no interest in anything nutritious...so weird!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Circle Of Pain was a great idea.

You're engine was actually sickening.

Shane and I on hands and knees about to see our breakfasts and you saying "3,2,1 GO!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

funny how you get competitive when someone else is doing the same as you

Hmmm

You're engine was actually sickening.

Shane and I on hands and knees about to see our breakfasts and you saying "3,2,1 GO!"

Yeh...the plan was to give ye no rest at all for my reps...but ye took so bloody long coming down the hill....mind ya...it took me so bloody long getting up the hill:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

gymfreak wrote: »
    Yeh...the plan was to give ye no rest at all for my reps...but ye took so bloody long coming down the hill....mind ya...it took me so bloody long getting up the hill:D:D

It's one harsh hill, just what you want. I felt it was a perfect number of sprints too, literally couldn't have done anymore

• Advertisement

I was down the hill before you loads of times!

It's one harsh hill, just what you want. I felt it was a perfect number of sprints too, literally couldn't have done anymore

Yeah, was just about right.
    Next time, We'll do 15, she can do 20 with no break, clearly doesnt need one........................

Really, really going to make an attempt to cut back on training days and to see what effects it has.

Was ridiculously sore yesterday (from the hill sprints I think!) and found moving around quite difficult. Did something I wouldnt normally....I took a REST DAY:eek:

Tuesday 22nd November

Mobility
    Reverse Lunges
    Horizontal Face Pulls
    Leg Swings
    Scap Push ups
    Over and Unders-hips make the horrible grinding noises again...uck
    Hurdle Steps
    YTW..tried doing these with 3kg...and couldnt :o...back to 1kg

Bench
    20kg x 5
    27kg x 5
    33kg x 5
    33kg x 5
    33kg x 5...bench numbers are ridiculously easy..may have to revise this

Pullups
    Elbow was niggling me after last time, dont really want that to become a problem...and I have gained quite a few kg since Saturday...I kid you not!! Damn vicious cycle
    So settled for sets of 2
    6 sets of 2

Squat
    I was quite nervous about the squatting...legs still arent back to pain free ness..went fine though
    20kg x 8
    20kg x 8
    32kg x 5
    45kg x 3
    53kg x 8
    53kg x 8
    53kg x 8
    53kg x 8
    53kg x 8

RDLs...was supposed to be Stiff Leg Deadlift but I wasnt paying attention.
    Have to clarify EXACTLY how to do these.
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 10
    60kg x 10
    60kg x 10
    60kg x 10

Overhand BB holds
    60kg x 30sec
    60kg x 23sec
    60kg x 30sec..they are bloody hard!!

Deadlift
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    65kg x 5

Complete rushed session today!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Deadlifts and a Deadlift variant in the same session?

I'm glad you were sore after Sunday as it seemed to have no effect on you on the day!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Bench - do it with new tekkers, wider grip, take it down a tad lower. One hard day (the higher rep one) and one day to get some additional volume in to get you adapting to the new tekkers better (that was today). If you wanna make em a bit tougher, pause them, and press them up as fast as possible

Pull ups - please don't hurt yourself and have Will blame me!! :D

Squats - looked good. Nearly got crushed on that 6th rep cos you were soft at the bottom

RDL/SLDL - not sure where the mix up came there, but ya know what, just DL again

Double OH BB holds - go up maybe 3-5kg next week, you want at least one set at the 30 second mark

DLs - I think your stance needs to come in, hard to tell from the angle. Also hard to tell what you were doing with your shins and knees there, looked like you were pushing forward a bit. Don't start pushing the weight now.. stick at 60-65kg next week for the 5x5s

Just saw the bench vid.... grip needs to go out a bit wider - can you see the forearm angle stilll?

For a weight that should be easy it's very "sloppy", like the bar's not coming up evenly, it's sorta moving a bout a bit. It's not jsut about lifting the weight, you want to control it. Bring it down under control, soft touch, blast up.

I'm glad you were sore after Sunday as it seemed to have no effect on you on the day!

Have had serious DOMS in my legs for days...not quite sure what caused it..but I decided to blame the hill sprints...sure why not...they were easy anyway:P
    Hanley wrote: »

Squats - looked good. Nearly got crushed on that 6th rep cos you were soft at the bottom
    But in fairness, I didn't eeeeeep!

Double OH BB holds - go up maybe 3-5kg next week, you want at least one set at the 30 second mark

The possibility of adding weight is very optimistic...was literally CLINGING to the bar. I'll give it a shot.
    Just saw the bench vid.... grip needs to go out a bit wider - can you see the forearm angle stilll?

For a weight that should be easy it's very "sloppy", like the bar's not coming up evenly, it's sorta moving a bout a bit. It's not jsut about lifting the weight, you want to control it. Bring it down under control, soft touch, blast up.

You should of seen the first bench vid I filmed...the bar was uneven the whole time...right arm seems to always be slower/weaker than my left...and yeh the benching is easy I just hate it and rush it to get it over with as quickly as possible...* slap on the wrist:(

Have had serious DOMS in my legs for days...not quite sure what caused it..but I decided to blame the hill sprints...sure why not...they were easy anyway:P
    Couldn't maybe... ya know.. possibly be the high rep squats?!

And not eeping is good...

As for the BB holds, target one BIG set where you hang on til the death, then come back down if necessary weight wise to continue hitting 30sec

Da Za wrote: »
    Deadlifts and a Deadlift variant in the same session?

Just after actually thinking about this, as in Gymfreak's case, are the light deads after the Stiff's, well RDL's in this case, to enforce good technique while slightly fatigued? I'm guessing so.

Wednesday 23rd November-Rugby
    Fairly easy training session..nothing that I had to concentrate on or remember. Rugby is now finished to after Xmas..:(..anyone else got a suggestion for a new sport for me to try????

Thursday 24th November-C2

So..first day back at conditioning. It's been a good 6weeks...and unfortunately I had started getting used to not doing it..AKA..I basically got lazy:o Anyway, got myself to the gym and had a great session:D

Mobility
    Reverse Lunges
    Cable Face Pulls
    Over and Unders
    Hurdle steps...cant believe how tired they make me:eek:
    Scap push ups
    Leg swings
    YTWls...with 1kg:eek:

Con Block-10mins
    50m sprints, every 30 sec
    Did these outdoors cos the proper athletes were using the indoor..and I would just embarress myself:D Loved doing the sprints wrapped up in a big hoodie!! Was kind of amused cos it was really windy out so for half of them I was running against the wind.

Put on a HRM outta curiousity. Havent used it in ages.

Work Block-15mins
    5 Box Jumps
    10 T-Pushups
    5 Supported DB rows e/s 22.5kg
    12 rounds in 14.45:)happy with this..pushups were the hardest
    Max: 189 Av:170

Con Block-10mins
    Indoor track..I felt REALLY fast doing these...then I realised it was cos I was indoors=no wind
    Max HR: 185 Av HR:175

Work Block-15mins
    10 DB Swings
    10 DB Pushup Rows 7.5kg...........GGGGRRRR. They are nasty at the best of time but pure rotten when you havent done them in such a long while
    7 rounds in 14.30mins
    Max HR:228 AV HR: 172

Con Block-10mins
    Athletes were back on the indoor track..so I went outside..was dark out cos only a few of the track lights were on..and it was raining. Forgot how much I like running in the rain and when it's cold
    Max HR: 182 Av HR:170
    Really loving the weather today, kept me nice and cool:)

Friday 25th of November-Week 2, Day 1

Mobility
    Reverse Lunges
    Cable Face Pulls
    Over and Unders
    Hurdle steps
    Scap push ups
    Leg swings
    YTWs...skipped by accident

Wrong order again

Deadlifts
    **Feet closer together, toes out
    set up 'MY way'
    Then push knees back..roll bar back to meet my legs
    Then ass back (lean on heels) instead of down
    Lift**

60kg x 5..not as hard as last week
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5

Squats
    20kg x 8
    20kg x 8
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 3
    57kg x 6....First few sets felt hard, the rest felt better weight wise
    57kg x 6
    57kg x 6
    57kg x 6
    57kg x 6
    57kg x 6

The top of both of my quads was a lil sore for the warm up sets but by the time I got to the 5th/6th set my left quad was painful:( Very painful. Tried to foamroll on and off..but :(. My left knee started hurting last night everytime I went to walk down stairs so I'm guessing that's part of the problem.

Bench
    20kg x 12
    25kg x 12
    32kg x 12..I wish I hadnt said the bench was easy:(These were a struggle
    32kg x 12
    32kg x 12

Pull ups
    7 sets of 2

Hanging Leg Raises
    5 x 10

DB Side Bends
    22.5kg x 10/10
    22.5kg x 10/10
    22.5kg x 10/10
    22.5kg x 10/10
    22.5kg x 10/10

Bicep Curls
    7.5kg x 10
    7.5kg x 10
    7.5kg x 10
    7.5kg x 10
    7.5kg x 10

Stupid sore quad means that I've only managed to get in 2 strength and 1 conditioning session this week:(...oh and a bit of rugby. Not too happy with that at all, but at least I'm being clever and not making my quad worse.

Spoke to Will earlier on, and the problem is with my rectorus femorus, hence all the hip spasms/locks I often get when benching and the knee problems that pop up too. Easily fixed with a bit of stretching...sighhh, so I really shouldnt be complaining! I think I might start looking into the yoga classes again if I can drap along one of the girls cos at least that'll make me stretch, even if they were painfully boring!!

Plan for the next week fingers crossed is 2 strength, 2 conditioning + a bit of easy cardio. Wll said to give my quad another bit of a rest so unless Im feeling particularly antsy tomorrow it looks like its just cardio and stretching....weird

Monday 28th November
    Decided to contact a few different clubs/sports yesterday in the quest to try out a few new sports...just in case I have an undiscovered amazing talent at an unknown sport:P:P

Two hockey clubs were the first to contact me back, so I tried out one tonight and might visit the other on Wednesday.

I was put with the last group...far far away from the top two teams and it was the perfect place to start:D:D Nothing serious going on in this group, they were all out for the laugh and a good mess about. We played a few random skill games, did some sprints, hit a ball against a wall a load of times, practised different ways of holding the stick, swinging and taking shots. Practised penos too.

Once again....hadnt got a clue what we were doing as I wasnt told ANYTHING really to start off with, just kept pestering everyone beside me, was a good hour later and after my lil punishment half lap for talking that the coach realised I'd never even frickin held a hockey stick never mind hit a ball before...hence all the talking!!

He said he'd go through all the basic stuff with me next session..but so far, so good, one of the girls even gave me a hockey stick to bring home and practise with...pretty sound if ya ask me!

I'm thinking conditioning tomorrow...bout time I attempted using the sled again:( Then strength on Wednesday.

Did my stretching today and quad is feeling very much on the mend :)

• Advertisement

Tuesday 29th November-C1

Con Block-10mins
    Sled Pushes +10kg
    Yellow line to 3rd yellow line
    20m each way
    7 up and backs in 10.45...ridiculous

Work Block 1-15mins
    5 Goblet Squats 27.5kg
    5 Floor Press 15kg
    5 Rows e/s 22.5kg
    9 rounds in 14.50mins..same

Con Block-10mins
    Sled Pushes +10kg
    Suicides Yellow line to 2nd and back, yelllow to 3rd and back
    10m and back, 20m and back
    5 up and backs in 10.50mins....****

Work Block 1-15mins
    10 Reverse Lunges +10kg
    3 Chinups
    10 pushups
    9 rounds in 14.35mins...down loads...I'm heavier and havent practised pullups in 6weeks..so I am uber crap at them! Went looking for a resistance band to try and get the volume up but they been misplaced!!

Con Block-10mins
    Sled Drags + 50kg
    20m each way
    7 up and backs in 10.55mins...even though I went non-stop...much slower than before:(

Unhappy with the sled work. Think I'm going to have to rejig it or something..try a lighter load, or change distance, or set myself a time goal ie. go every 30sec..cos I really need to freshen it up so I'll work harder at it and even have a bit of a mess whilst doing it.
    Any suggestions???:)

Wednesday 30th November-Week 2 Day 2

Mobility

Reverse Lunges
    Horizontal Face Pulls
    Leg Swings
    Scap Push ups
    Over and Unders
    Hurdle Steps
    YTW

Bench
    20kg x 12
    25kg x 12
    30kg x 5
    32kg x 5
    34kg x 5
    36kg x 5
    38kg x 5...easy enough

Pullups
    8 sets of 2

Squat
    Pheeeeeeewwww...the leg pain has subsided..nearly completely. Just have to remember to keep up the stretching..dammit!

20kg x 8
    20kg x 8
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 3...did the wrong warm up numbers:confused:just wasnt concentrating??
    60kg x 4 (8 sets)

Grand enough, no big frights at all cos I remembered doing 60kg x 5 before. Think I may be starting to pop my ass up first though again..DAMN!

Deadlift
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    63kg x 5
    66kg x 5
    69kg x 5...started getting hard
    72kg x 3

69kg x 5

Stiff Leg Deadlift..bar on the ground
    30kg x 12
    40kg x 12
    40kg x 12
    40kg x 12
    40kg x 12..could go heavier

Overhand BB holds
    62kg x 30sec
    62kg x 30sec
    63kg x 30sec

DLs looked sweet. Could maybe get your hips down ever so slightly lower at the start tho (while still keeping that upright shin angle)

Squats were fine until you smashed the rack on your 3rd rep. Is 60x5 your best set of 5?! If not, what is?

DLs looked sweet. Could maybe get your hips down ever so slightly lower at the start tho (while still keeping that upright shin angle)

Squats were fine until you smashed the rack on your 3rd rep. Is 60x5 your best set of 5?! If not, what is?

:)
    Yeh, I was trying to push my ass back instead of down...ended up with just doing nothing

RE the squats..bashing the rack is my way of checking that the safety bars are there:D and yeh, without completely good morning-ing the bar 60 x 5 or 65 x 3 is the most I've done for reps

Your pulls are drastically improving.

Dunno if Hanley will agree but don't be afraid to try and tear the bar from the floor, I know it's hard when focusing on technique.

Great work.

Da Za wrote: »
    Your pulls are drastically improving.

Dunno if Hanley will agree but don't be afraid to try and tear the bar from the floor, I know it's hard when focusing on technique.

Great work.

Wow, wow, wow...hold your horse Daz....that DL is about a 7 step process..dont be adding in an 8th step on me....not now anyway:P:P

Thursday 1st December-Hockey:D

Didn't get to try out the other hockey team last night as I had a meeting after work that ran late and I needed to get my strength stuff done..dammit.

Really, really hectic week this week so amn't gonna get all of what I want to get done done...which really frustrates me.

Really enjoyed hockey tonight, kinda feel like I have half a notion as to what goes on..as in there is a goal and you hit the ball into goal.

The coach spent a good hour with me tonight showing me the different ways to hit the ball..he literally put about 80 hockey balls of the ground in front of me to hit, when i was done i literally went and rounded them all up again before trying the next swing...for a slooow learner like me, this was exactly what I needed. Most important thing was to stop tensing before hitting the ball..more of a loose swing.

Then played a match near the end..good craic. Just wish i had time to practise a bit of the striking this weekend but I wont:(

Sunday 4th December-C2
    Very busy week so didnt get the 2S and 2C done as I had planned...grrr.

Con Block -I was not made to row...I've gotten over it:D

Rower
    -5x200m efforts with 45 second recovery
    1km warm up
    1. 47.1
    2. 48.1
    3. 47.3
    4. 48.2
    5. 47.2

Work Block 1 - 15mins
    5 TB Deadlifts 60kg
    10 Inverted Rows
    13 rounds in 14.50mins..:othat's actually embarrassing..used to be able to hit up to 17 rounds on this..highly embarrassing. I blame the inverted rows

Con Block - 10mins
    Rower
    -5x200m efforts with 45 second recovery
    1km warm up-
    1. 46.7
    2. 47.1
    3. 48.5
    4. 48.6
    5. 46.8

Work Block 2 - 15mins
    5 Clean and Push Press 20kg
    10 Ab Roll Outs
    10 rounds in 14.50mins...am supposed to be aiming for 15+ on this aswell:o

Really wasnt used to the ab roll outs anymore...shaking like a leaf

Con Block - 10mins
    Rower -5x200m efforts with 45 second recovery
    1km warm up-
    1. 47.4
    2. 47.7
    3. 48.8
    4. 48.0
    5. 46.6

Even though the times and rounds etc on everything were terrible, I really enjoyed the session. Kinda getting back into the groove of conditioning and I'm liking it:)

Going to annoy Will about the Con sessions and whether I should change from those 3 con sessions to something different seeing as I'm trying to only do Con 2x a week or just try and get better at them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

Going to annoy Will about the Con sessions and whether I should change from those 3 con sessions to something different seeing as I'm trying to only do Con 2x a week or just try and get better at them again.
    Good to see you being able to make a plan and stick to it. Good to see that you executed your plan to perfection as well.

• Advertisement

Good to see you being able to make a plan and stick to it. Good to see that you executed your plan to perfection as well.

My next plan is to get lean again...let's see how well I execute this one

Advertisement