Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA MMA Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

GTR63 wrote: »
    Sales haven't done well the first week.EA MMA entered 23rd in the UK charts.I'd say its up in the air if EA will make a Sequel. Hope they do the UFC games got lazy on their first attempt at a sequel god knows what it'll be like 5 years from now with THQ having the licence for another 8 Years.EA originally planned on building on this game by trying to get the UFC rights.

Ya, would be an absolute shame if they didn't get the go ahead to make another one! EA + UFC would have been the definitive mma game but thats not gonna happen now. EA will never win in the popularity contest but damn if they make a better game!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I'm playing on medium, will def be playing next through on Hard. Still loving it tho. Look forward to training. Only 2 moves left to get. I wanted the counter takedown guillotine but could not pass the challenge for the life of me. Don't get taken down for 1 minute......and oh ya, no sprawl button. All I can do is tap direction one way to make him dodge (can't remember what the movement is called) but he has a dashing takedown which puts me on my back everytime. Anyone pass this challenge?

He doesn't defend against your strikes so the second the bell goes move to him and keep jabbing. He'll eventually go down and then repeat until the timer ends. It's a bit cheap but it's the only way I could beat it.

jarain wrote: »
    He doesn't defend against your strikes so the second the bell goes move to him and keep jabbing. He'll eventually go down and then repeat until the timer ends. It's a bit cheap but it's the only way I could beat it.

Thanks Jarain, tried this, definitely a better method! Still getting to the last 10-15 seconds and he do a dashing takedown. Sick of wasting time on it, I can do without the move :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

EA likely to drop MMA genre
    EA is likely to back out of the mixed martial arts genre after its debut offering, EA Sports MMA, made a poor start at retail.

That's according to Cowen & Company analyst Doug Creutz, who thinks UFC Undisputed maker THQ may have scored a knockout blow in the MMA battle between the publishers.

"EA's recently released 'MMA' appears to be more or less DOA at retail, while UFC recently announced an extension of its license with THQ, likely putting an end to EA's efforts to expand into the mixed martial arts genre," the analyst said in a research note this morning.

THQ said last week that it is to "broaden the UFC brand experience" after extending its exclusive publishing deal with game rights holder Zuffa until 2018.

We were largely impressed with EA Sports MMA, awarding the game 8.3 in our review, but noting that it couldn't quite match up to UFC.

While Creutz's comments regarding the game's retail performance are likely specific to the US market, EA Sports MMA made a disappointing start in the UK, debuting at No.23 this week

http://anonym.to/?http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=271498

What a shocking story to read.....

If this is true, then it just goes to show the dire state the video game industry is in these days. EA MMA is a much better MMA game than Undisputed. All the reviews I read marked it lower than Undisputed and the main reason was because it wasn't UFC. Fair enough UFC is the most popular MMA league in the world but EA made a better MMA game. Period. Just because THQ secured the long term deal with UFC, does that mean EA will never be able to outsell THQ because of the name of the box (which brings the impressive roster) Absolutely rediculous.

I dunno, the devs put a lot of work into this game. The UK chart is ending 23rd Oct. The game came out on the 22nd so thats 1-2 days sales. Plus it was up against Fallout New vegas.

Would be such a kick to the MMA/videogame community if this series was cancelled.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see EA team up with the UFC,but i'm loving EA version
    Problem i think is Strikeforce is not as "cool" the UFC to casual fans so EA was dead in the water before they started

dave1982 wrote: »
    I'd like to see EA team up with the UFC,but i'm loving EA version
    Problem i think is Strikeforce is not as "cool" the UFC to casual fans so EA was dead in the water before they started

Ya. I mean EA could have easily called this EA Strikeforce. They knew Strikeforce wouldn't sell this game so they went with the international angle (and rightly so) I know it's mostly MMA fans will onyl be buy these games. No casual gamers I know liked Undisputed because they didn't get the ground game but I thought mma fans would prefer EA's game as it has better mechanics. It is a pity that EA couldn't get that UFC deal.

I wonder if it's true that Dana White approached EA to make their game first but EA said MMA wasn't a proper sport to be making a game of and only started developing since Undisputed 2009 did well????

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

That's a shame if they do decide to scrap a follow up. Far better game than Undisputed IMO. I was worried that the controls were too simplistic at first but they really removed a barrier, rather than worrying about what buttons you are pressing you can concentrate on your strategy, fakes etc.

Have had some epic ground battles which never became frustrating which is something I can't say about Undisputed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

So ive raked up about 10 hours of play,

with 20+ career wins and still undefeated and the current mystic lightweight champion,

The game although at the start is a refreshing change from the Undisputed series has shown many flaws, the grappling aspect is very poor one button to block and reverse another to transition, this is a very poor simulation of an aspect that takes up 70% of a fight. very simple animtation especially in clinch and only a few generall poitions muay thai clinch, double underhooks, over under, and double over, takedowns can be easily spamed, my tapping A/X and easily defended with B/sqr personally.

I find the total strike control brought over from fight night to be a good concept but very hard to string together combos and i noticed the AI could string together combos a lot more crisply then i could, epecially stringing together body kicks body shot head shot, where for body kicks you must hold Lt Rb and spin the right stick, there is alos an AI tendency to imeadiatley strike back upon being hit, myself i like to prob with leg kicks but every time i kick once the AI returns with a jab which cant be blocked the majority of the time no matter how fast my reactions.

the training regime in career mode far surpasses the ufc, especially the striking training, but as some of you have had trouble ith the likes of getting to full mount from guard etc try spamming A worked for me.

Commentary i thought was awfull compared to the ufsc learning commentary, i noticed after id transitioned from double under to muay thai the commentary went like ( and now he's in the double under usually a takedown comes from this position ) so i assume the commentary is trigger based.

Online ive had 3 bouts all a LHW first was a victory followeed by two losses both to the same player :mad: i found when you get to the elite level fightes, 3 or 4 punches to the head usually resulys in your head health being near empty and your opponent can pounce for the finish.

Graphics are good nice detail good lighting and texture

Compared to UFC undisputed Career mode surpasses UFC, Its more user friendly and easier to nvaigate, But its gameplay is like a childs mma game it really doesnt give justice to the transition and takedown skills required, but it does prevent spammers online flicking the transition stick.

Hopefully one or both games can take the major aspects of both games and combine them into a playable mma game

and the major thing missing from both games is.........HATRED think back to the likes of GTA where you hated certain individuals or people who F**ked with your set, you made it your goal to destroy them. They need to make you hate some opponent maybe some guy hits you a crotch shot or an eye poke when your begining your career ( doesnt count as a lose maybe a n.c ) could cost you your smaller promotions title shot? maybe when you come to the UFC strikeforce this guy is signed aswell and gets to the title before you....thats my opinion on what both these games need something to fuel you besides being an undefeated champion beating the same 3 guys over and over

end rant

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I wonder if it's true that Dana White approached EA to make their game first but EA said MMA wasn't a proper sport to be making a game of and only started developing since Undisputed 2009 did well????

EAs game was in development before 2009 was released.I'd say Dana did go to EA but he never says when he went to them or exactly what he said.Id say he went making big demands not long after the old UFC games contracts were up.And I doubt Peter Moore was the head of EA sports then since he's been known to take chances since he took over the division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Been playing it since last night. Quite a good game in fairness. The submission system is far superior to the one in Undisputed. At least there is some semblance of skill and judgement involved rather than twirling the stick like a maniac. I despised the sub system in Undisputed. The career mode is more fun to play than Undisputed's as well. Online play is better as well. Commentary is far better in Undisputed alright but that's secondary to gameplay really.

It's not perfect by any means. Strikes sometimes don't really feel like they land with enough speed and force and the grappling is quite basic but still enjoyable. Not particularly difficult to things to get right if they do another one though. Add in a few more positions that are missing like north/south, etc.

EA probably made a mistake releasing the game in the middle of such a busy period for new game releases. In the last couple of weeks there's been Fallout, Medal of Honour, Vanquish and a whole pile of sports games (FIFA, NHL, NBA2K). Might have done better if released earlier in the Summer or after Christmas.

EAs game was in development before 2009 was released.I'd say Dana did go to EA but he never says when he went to them or exactly what he said.Id say he went making big demands not long after the old UFC games contracts were up.And I doubt Peter Moore was the head of EA sports then since he's been known to take chances since he took over the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

dave1982 wrote: »

Didnt say when he went to them or what he said to them.THQ needed a big franchise so id say he could make any deal he wanted to with them.EA are much bigger then that. And id seriously doubt EA used those words.

just my first online fights. won 2 lost 3. online is way better than ufc! some awful spamming tricks tho! my losses were down to me bein in guard, he throws some heel kicks, my stamina empties an he subs me! My last fight i defended 6 armbars all in the first round, couldnt get up at all stamina drained and sub chaining doesnt help. You should be able to choose real fighters OR cafs and they should fix the cheap tactics. o and you should b able to fight peopl in the same rank as you. still love it tho! Anyone wanna fight me on ps3 just add me PSN is sheehy83

edit: actually just saw ea devs are fixin my online complaints above. take note THQ!!!

Didnt say when he went to them or what he said to them.THQ needed a big franchise so id say he could make any deal he wanted to with them.EA are much bigger then that. And id seriously doubt EA used those words.

He said they declined a meeting.So that rules out what he said and they said negotiation wise.

EA are bigger and know sports games,so why they would pick Strike force over UFC.?

I think EA seen the previous sales of the other UFC games made by Crave ,Capom and they failed, i remember playing them years ago they were brutal.I think EA thought the games would flop again.

Thats the only comment i ever seen about EA refusing UFCs offer to make a game

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

So Im in the process of making myself in each weightclass so I can use myself online in any fight card.

I made myself in lightweight and middleweight and just started on heavyweight. I set my name and stuff as normal then went to height/weight and put in 206 pounds and 5'11 to keep it as close as possible to my normal size.

When I got to the body type screen my dude turned green!!

Whatsupwitdat?

772A0001_1_THUMB_plM.jpg

haha you must have activated some hulk cheat or something by mistake:confused:

HAHAHAHA that is well class!! Pity you can't equip him in Jean shorts! You will have to bring that guy online!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

A real cool Glitch that. Looks like a green Stefan Bonner.About Dana White meeting with EA I read he turned up at the wrong studio I think its the one that makes The Sims once when a meeting between him & EA was arranged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

I'm really liking this game, can't get the game face going though. Every time I try it says the markers are not done properly....anyways here is probably the greatest CAF I've seen in any game ever.....

771A0001_1_THUMB_uWd.jpg

BRIAN F*CKING PEPPERS!!!!!!

I forgot all about him haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

A real cool Glitch that. Looks like a green Stefan Bonner.About Dana White meeting with EA I read he turned up at the wrong studio I think its the one that makes The Sims once when a meeting between him & EA was arranged.

Something like that. He didn't know which branch was responsible for Sports games so he went to the wrong one, got pissed and then went to THQ. Apparently if he went to EA sports everything would have been grand

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Something like that. He didn't know which branch was responsible for Sports games so he went to the wrong one, got pissed and then went to THQ. Apparently if he went to EA sports everything would have been grand

HAHA sounds like a thing Dana White would do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

HAHA sounds like a thing Dana White would do!

I'm amazed that he is stable in a job.He runs his mouth far too much & i'm sure going to THQ rather than EA Sports lost Ufc a lot of money cause he's a stubborn Asshole.

I'm amazed that he is stable in a job.He runs his mouth far too much & i'm sure going to THQ rather than EA Sports lost Ufc a lot of money cause he's a stubborn Asshole.

Imagine it was the other way around, that EA Sports had the UFC deal and THQ were releasing the 'international' mma game, such a shame but I still love this.

So, when are we getting a Boardsies card up and running????

HAHAHAHAAH that was an amzing fight card!!!!

So, dave1982 invites me to a fight card last night and there's 2 other guys. 4 fights get generated. Strange I was in 3 fights and one of the other guys only had 1 fight. Anyway...

Fight 1 - Me (Diaz) vs Dave(robbie lawlor). We touch gloves He throws a hook but my right head kick connects with his open chin first and he's rocked, I'm all over that and the fight is over in 12 seconds hahhaahahahah

Fight 2 - Other boys. I notice one of them is throwing ridiculously fast combos. jabs, hooks, uppercuts.....has to be using classic controls. The I see prompt for him to press all the buttons, only appears for classic. Fight lasts about 4 minutes and classic controller guy wins

Fight 3 - Me (Jacare) vs Dave (Manhoef) 2. We touch gloves, he takes a swing and DEJA-F*CKING-VU, I rock him with first punch, jump on him and starting swinging the right stick like a mad man. Think that one lasted 9 seconds maybe?? :D

Fight 4 - Me (Fedor) vs Classic guy (Brock Lesnar, actually very good caf of him). We get into it and his button mashing is too fast for me. I panick and totally forget how to parry. He drops me but I recover. He has my back and throwing down punches. Blocking does nothing and I can't get out of it. Like he was denying and hitting me at the same time. Could only parry his punches but couldn't get out, eventually KO'd me.

So glad EA are releasing a patch that filters fights by the controls cuz there is some disadvantage using TSC over classic but TSC is a much better way to play the game, imo.

Dave, thanks for inviting me man, was a great laugh. Pity we can't just set up a quick unranked match without having to do a card. I'm sure you will want another crack at me anyway so will catch ya online again!

Did you get a contendor shot yet?

^ Your time will come :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

Ye on ps3 or xbox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

What a shocking story to read.....

If this is true, then it just goes to show the dire state the video game industry is in these days. EA MMA is a much better MMA game than Undisputed. All the reviews I read marked it lower than Undisputed and the main reason was because it wasn't UFC. Fair enough UFC is the most popular MMA league in the world but EA made a better MMA game. Period. Just because THQ secured the long term deal with UFC, does that mean EA will never be able to outsell THQ because of the name of the box (which brings the impressive roster) Absolutely rediculous.

I think the main reason why it was scored lower than Undisputed is because the gameplay doesn't really come close to Undisputed and lets face it in an mma game that's what it all boils down to. Also I found Ea's graphics to be pretty poor.
    If you could however take EA's career mode and online and marry those with Undisputed's gameplay, graphics and roster you'd have a great game.

I think it'll be a shame if they don't bring out anymore mma games because it's always good to have competition in the market.

Advertisement