Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA MMA Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Demonseed wrote: »
    still not out on psn yet WTF :mad:

It is man, when one off demos come out, not on the regular thursday schedule, they don't get added to the latest stuff. Do a search for PS3 games, demos and look for EA MMA. It's in there :)

EDIT: Actually, I got it on the US PSN, hidden as it was.

Pretty bad demo. I never played FN so had no clue of the stick controls. Pity I couldn't practice them as I would just get kept taken down. Only played 2 games but it's definitely not a finished product. I heard playing against a human is way more fun as its not just a takedown fest.

EA forums asked for feedback in a specific template. Everyone saying the exact same thing so hopefully EA do something bout it. I heard they pushed back NBA Elite to 2011. This game needs more time imo.

No excuse for them not to have any ref activity, stopping fights, in beside fighters, etc. The game still has potential if they balance the AI and get rid of a few bugs. I'm gonna pick Lashley now and if Overeem spams takedowns, then I know the AI is broken (hopefully just the demo!!)

Edit: Forgot, absolutely attrocious tutorial. I came out out of still not knowing any of the buttons!! They really can't have that as the tutorial in the full game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Demonseed

just made myself an usa account and found it. thanks allot dude :)

from what iv read about the demo/game bobby lashely and Jake Shields are two of the most takedown spammers in the game. most of the rest will not try and take u down as much. but i havent play it yet so il b back later with my opinion. thanks again my limerick brother :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Pretty bad demo. I never played FN so had no clue of the stick controls. Pity I couldn't practice them as I would just get kept taken down. Only played 2 games but it's definitely not a finished product. I heard playing against a human is way more fun as its not just a takedown fest.

EA forums asked for feedback in a specific template. Everyone saying the exact same thing so hopefully EA do something bout it. I heard they pushed back NBA Elite to 2011. This game needs more time imo.

No excuse for them not to have any ref activity, stopping fights, in beside fighters, etc. The game still has potential if they balance the AI and get rid of a few bugs. I'm gonna pick Lashley now and if Overeem spams takedowns, then I know the AI is broken (hopefully just the demo!!)

sounds terrible, i bet thq are laughing their ass off, best case scenario i hope they put this off and work on it til bout the time crysis 2 is on the way out. its right in the middle of alot of quality games coming out so this could not sell any significant amount of copies.

im hearing allot of mixed things about this demo, some peeps dont like it and some do like it. being a huge mma fan(seen every pride/ufc/wec/dream/etc..) i really want an mma game that does the sport justice. ufc 2009 was a good game, ufc 2010 imo didnt improve much over the original, so i didnt even bother with it. finger crossed im gona enjoy ea's efforts :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Pretty bad demo. I never played FN so had no clue of the stick controls. Pity I couldn't practice them as I would just get kept taken down. Only played 2 games but it's definitely not a finished product.

They seem to be saying the demo is from an old build of the game from a couple of months back. Haven't played it myself so will probably wait for the reviews.

just had 7-8 games on easy and i have to say its pretty good. 4sure the ai trys to take u down too much but it all depends on who u are fighting. wud also b nice if there was commentery on the demo. controls seem abit awkward but im sure the more you play the more theyl start making sense. punching and kicking have a nice soild feel to them. takedowns/sprawling is abit easy as its only a one button press. but all in all from my little time with the demo i liked it! :D oh and from the 7-8 games i played not once did i knock someone out standing up with an elbow (take note thq) :cool:

I changed the controls to Classic and it's much better. One problem I have is that when you're trying to stand up it takes a 2 second delay to register. This can be dodgy if you're running out of stamina.

Having played it more it's growing on me. I keep thinking of undisputed controls but I figured out the ground game at least. Can't wait to actually play against someone else to see how online will be like with grappling. The grappling is brilliant, simplisic, mabye too simplistic, but the subs are just a joy to experience. THQ should just completely rob this concept! I changed to clssic control and found striking much faster but I prefer the 'total strike' controls for ground game so just went back to that. Can't pull off a jumping knee for the life of me! I'm gonna play 2 player in a while and just practice moves on the dummy.

Blood is excellent in it, the way it smears over the fighter. Still didn't get a KO! Mostly goes to decision or sub win/loss. Actually feels like an MMA fight with the subs although i'm kinda of missing the flash KO's (just a small bit!) this feels like your in more of a strategic battle. I think i'll be getting the full game 1st day anyway but would be nice if EA did iron out a few things. Their official forums are down all day. Dunno if it's traffic or EA don't wanna hear any more negativity.

Can't pull off a jumping knee for the life of me! I'm gonna play 2 player in a while and just practice moves on the dummy.

The trick to the flying knee is to flick the left stick instead of holding it. It's difficult to get but when you do it's nearly an instant K-O. Caught Lashley in a Guillotine from full guard earlier. I like the sweet spot system of submissions but the other system they use on armbars is a bit too easy.

• Advertisement

thanks joe, went flyin knee crazy till lashley caught me with left hook mid air, flash ko was actually awesome!!!! love the choke subs, they should have kept same system for the limbs, still not sure of its mechanics. my fave move so far is fake shoot to superman punch. cuz you already step forward for the shoot, you only have to press diagnol to turn it deadly. now, ifyou can unlock an overhand, i can recreate mir vs kongo!! really liking this now that im stuffin most take downs. ground tko/ kos are so weak tho and really anti climatic to end a fight

A MUST WATCH vid from the devs telling about the total strike control and how to pull off all the moves in the demo. Once you get a chance to mess around with these moves, it really really opens the game up. The demo didn't win many fans, they should have put this vid in instead of the shiitty tutorial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hello there folks,

I just wanted to jump into this thread to let you know that Boards.ie and Electronic Arts have an advertising deal in place and one of the titles involved is this new MMA game. I haven't had a chance to play the demo yet due to a hectic social schedule, but I've set it on my XBox download queue for when I get home this evening.

So anyway, I just wanted to pop in and say that you'll be hearing more about this game - I'll see what I can do about getting a couple of copies to give away for a competition (no promises though)!

Dav

CLASS!!! Thanks for the update Dav!

If you wanna send a free copy my way, I got these cheeseburgers maaaaaan!!

Won with a class flying knee KO last night. 1st flash ko I performed, only 2nd I saw. So satisfying to get it since they are so rare. The more I play this, the better it is. Can't wait to play against a human character or fixed AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Finally got some proper game time in last night. Its true the more you play it the better it gets.I wasnt a big fan tuesday cause of constantly being taken down and I found the controls awkward but I wasnt paying attention properly.

Went back to it last night, put it to easy until I got used to the controls then moved back up. Now the computer isnt trying to take me down as much since his shots are getting stuffed most of the time. Stringing combos together nicely too. Only got 1 flash ko with Overeem (against Overeem :pac: ). Caught him with a left hook, right cross and he just bounced off the cage and flat on his face :D Although they are a little anticlimatic.

Did have an epic 4 round battle using Shields against Mayhem.Won right at the end of the round with an armbar after switching from a triangle.All I could say was just beautiful :cool:
    Dav wrote: »
    I'll see what I can do about getting a couple of copies to give away for a competition (no promises though)!

Dav
    I choose to ignore this part and take it as a promise :pac:

Aaaaahhhhhh that why the AI has calmed down on the takedowns, I stuff most of them so he stops trying, excellent! Although, I find myself spamming O to stop takedowns and end up getting the head boxed off me. Exactly chin, you can have some epic battles but TKO's are really anticlimatic. Love the subs in it tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Love the subs too but even the end of those seems anticlimatic too.maybe the full version will have more drama :pac:

Love the subs too but even the end of those seems anticlimatic too.maybe the full version will have more drama :pac:

Totally agree! Shields put me to sleep last night (actually looked like i went to sleep, not just tapped) but game kinds froze, then big john standing over my crouched character, same ol' screen. I really hope that bit is fixed and replays are awful as well.

Overeem is actually a beast in this game. Knocked out Lashley with two headkicks on Medium. Have to say I'm really enjoying this game now and with the prospect of the downloadable fighters I'm sold. I'll be buying it for sure.

Lads, if any of ye have PS3, add me - sheehy83

I'm not pushed on downloadable fighters at all. I just want a savage career mode and then take my fighter online. Anything else will just be a bonus. From the demo, I can see what it will be like with special moves. I will actually be able to kit out my guy with a full arsenal of MMA moves, not like Undisputed where I had a superman punch and judo takedown. So hard to get moves, I just gave up so won the LHW title with just my overhand right. Hated it!

I have red dead redemption ready to be traded for this. Any good pre booking deals? I usually just wait and who ever has the best price (usually HMV)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Glad to hear some people are enjoying this.Hope it doesn't flop on release with out the UFC names it could struggle.I wonder will any UFC Fighters try to get put in this cause I read months ago they don't get royalties for the UFC Games.Couture is no fool when it comes to Buisness thats for sure.

man no royalties??!! I didn't know that. Thats well rough! Couture definitely had the right idea. I'd say he is making plenty off EA.

I remember doubting Undisputed 2009 but when I played the demo, I was instantly hooked! EA MMA has been getting a lot of interest, mostly because Undisputed 2010 was so bad but I think this demo hurt it bigtime. Spend a lot of time with the demo and you come around but I know lads who played it once and won't give it another go, they are just going back to Undisputed 2010. I think the full game will be a superior product to UFC but the demo lost more fans than won them.

I think this game is gonna be savage online altogether. Just a few more weeks to wait and see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Quite a few people I know aren't getting it for the simple reason that UFC fighters aren't in it, couldn't care less if it's a better game or not.

Gonna download the demo tomorrow to see what it's like, looking forward to it!:D

baz2009 wrote: »
    Quite a few people I know aren't getting it for the simple reason that UFC fighters aren't in it, couldn't care less if it's a better game or not.

Gonna download the demo tomorrow to see what it's like, looking forward to it!:D

Ah thats crap. When I was playing Undisputed, it was so rare I would play as one of the ready made fighters, always as my own created one so doesn't really matter who's in it for me. If I want to pick Big Nog but can't pull off a sub because of a broken system, then it doesn't matter who's in it! Imagine how much Fedor will be spammed online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Forgot about this game, gonna download the demo now. Can you pick Randy Couture or is he just a trainer?

Found this on the EA forums. The demo is supposed to be from an early July build, as stated by one of the devs. Then a mod posted the below info at the end of July. Sounds like a lot of things have been fixed but we will have to wait and see for definite confirmation:

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to keep you all in the loop as to what's happening with EA Sports MMA.

There's been a few changes that we can discuss, and I wanted to lay them out for you all to discuss and disect.

Thanks to Jason Barnes for providing me with these notes

- More fighting Stances and Styles have been added

- All strikes on the ground, have been tweaked for more power from all positions

- Knockdowns resulting from a strike have been re-worked and have also added a camera shake and sound effect

- The overhand punches have been re-animated

- Stance specific jabs have been added! Fighters who's lead hand is low will have a short quick jab, while other fighters (like Diaz style) will have pawing jabs.

- Kicks from the back leg , have been re-done to show follow through.

- If a striker is out of range and throws one of these kicks, you can now time a takedown. This results in a great battle of strategies and gauging a fighter's range.

- Ring ropes are now interactive during the clinch.

- Submission chains have been added. The number is at 5 right now.

- As mentioned before, the footprinting technology has been re-worked with gliding for better feel and movement

- The Vale Tudo rules have been updated to allow all moves and it now has 1 round that is 20 minutes long.

Forgot about this game, gonna download the demo now. Can you pick Randy Couture or is he just a trainer?

You can fight as Randy in the full game. If you share the demo (instructions on the demo) you can unlock Classic Randy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

have to admit really enjoy the demo once your used of the controls its savage fun, i dont know alot of the fighters but i just look at it as id prefer a working control scheme to the ufc on so yeah im happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

For the Heavys its only Alistair Overeem and Bobby Lashley available on the demo. Randy Couture will be in the full game though. Plus if you share the demo [God only knows how at this point] with others you can unlock "Classic" Randy. Though Classic Randy will more than likely be available via DLC before the year is out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

baz2009 wrote: »

Thats not too big a problem though. This game has the created fighter download thing that FN4 had so Im sure all the UFC fighters will be available to download pretty soon after this is released

Advertisement