Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA MMA Game

Options
  • 25-07-2010 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭

New trailer for this.

Soccer kicks FTW!! :D

After the disastor that was Undisputed 2010, I hope this has the gameplay to back up the class ideas of career mode and gameface!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

what a crap trailer, sure the gym's all look pretty fcukin fantastic but hardly any footage of the gameplay that matters, in the ring/cage

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya any gameplay I've seen so far isn't a touch on Undisputed. Will all come down to how the demo plays (if they release one)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

The different rules is awesome.

Like others have said fingers crossed on the gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

rovert wrote: »
    The different rules is awesome.

Like others have said fingers crossed on the gameplay.

Not holding up much hope, if it was really good then they would have plugged it a LOT more in the trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Head Stomps, Soccer Kicks AND Bas Rutten? That's enough for me :p

But on a side note, I've heard the ground game is fairly decent while the stand up lacks crispness and finesse. Some of the kicks I've seen look terrible compared to Undisputed..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I remain to be convinced MMA can translate to a game in a way that is as fun to play as it is to watch, can't see this changing my mind. Though it can't be much worse than the UFC games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

UFC games bore the balls out of me. Every time it is the same rules with very little alterations to the rules IE 3 or 5 rounds. It will be nice to have some variety with EA MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

Looks a bit cartoony?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Wonder how hard it would be for a gamer to really get into this game and want to eventually become "champion" in the end?

I mean, you end up being Strikeforce champ right?

It would be the equivilant of playing EA's new game "EA Carling Cup 2011".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

It does look fairly well thought out, I'll definately have a look at a demo if they release one.

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Wonder how hard it would be for a gamer to really get into this game and want to eventually become "champion" in the end?

You probably get the WAMMA belt before the title screen. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

nice!

i am a big gamer myself but couldn't get in to ufc undisputed 09, didnt even bother with this years version due to the fact the repaired some bits but made some of the a.i. players very uneven supposadley(bj penn, shogun afaik)

ea are very good at making sports games, if this one isin't up to scratch i expect them to have a high scoring game in the next few years.

its just a shame that you can't pick up an MMA game and play your two favourite fighters against each other due to the copyrighting issues with Strikeforce and UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

scudzilla wrote: »
    Not holding up much hope, if it was really good then they would have plugged it a LOT more in the trailer

Well yeah, its a trailer for the Career mode and how it all plays out. There is actual fighting gameplay trailers on various gaming websites

Everytime i see any gameplay footage i think it looks horrible, clunky, sluggish and nowhere near as fluid as THQs game.

Is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

The reason for that is because it's all very much a work in progress, I think even the most recent gameplay footage didn't even have textures applied to some of the models. I'd bet on the finished product to be very slick, visually at least.

Everytime i see any gameplay footage i think it looks horrible, clunky, sluggish and nowhere near as fluid as THQs game.

Is it just me?

Nope, it def doesn't look as good or fluid as THQ. Just that EA have way better ideas on how to handle the MMA world. I mean I really want to play undisputed 2010 but even when I load it up, it punishes me for being logged into PSN by taking ages to get to the main menu. If I disconnect from PSN first, it loads much faster. I would love UFC gameplay with EA ideas but its still early days for EA, Will wait for demo anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

The problem with MMA games is that it's simple button bashing or who can knock someone with a headkick. This button bashing makes it reminiscent of WWE games.

The only way an EA's game will be better IMO is if they introduce something innovative like what they did with the Fight Night boxing games with Total Punch Control where you can use the movement of the analogue sticks without pressing a single button to create combinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

creggy wrote: »
    The only way an EA's game will be better IMO is if they introduce something innovative like what they did with the Fight Night boxing games with Total Punch Control where you can use the movement of the analogue sticks without pressing a single button to create combinations.

Theyre using this! I think its the same as fn but with body shot and kick modifier buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

creggy wrote: »
    The problem with MMA games is that it's simple button bashing or who can knock someone with a headkick. This button bashing makes it reminiscent of WWE games.

I'm pretty sure thats what they are doing. You've got two sets of controls, one a traditional button set up and the other where strikes are controlled by the analogue sticks. AFAIK they've been working closely with the Fight Night team on the control set up, so it should be very similar. Still, only time will tell. October 19th release date apparently.

DRAGON LADY~!

Love how quick Bas's liver kick rocked Shamrock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im liking it.Looks like theyve added a lot more weight behind the punches.
    Plus Lenne Hardt & Bas automatically = win :D

Does look better but still not as fluid as Undisputed. I never used the fight night controls, mad to try out the demo. I like the fumble when a fighter falls on the ground rocked and the other guy scrambles to get down on top of him to finish it. I want to play this demo so bad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

It looks decent

This new gameplay looks much improved on the sluggish gameplay seen before!

Anyone know if Fight Night round 4 is any good? (Is 3 on ps3?) I want to play one of them to get a feel for the striking that will be in EM MMA. Not a huge boxing fan but have seen it cheap around and one of the lads is always raving about fight night on the PS2

Edit: Found vid of Mayhem Miller going mad at a dev once he sees his low fighter stats in the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Anyone know if Fight Night round 4 is any good? (Is 3 on ps3?) I want to play one of them to get a feel for the striking that will be in EM MMA. Not a huge boxing fan but have seen it cheap around and one of the lads is always raving about fight night on the PS2

Edit: Found vid of Mayhem Miller going mad at a dev once he sees his low fighter stats in the game!

I absolutely love FNR4, but if you check forums around the web everyone says it is rubbish

Found a great read about a tester's hands on experience with a pre alpha build. A lot of info about the gameplay, what the buttons do, how subs work, how stand up, takedowns and transitions work. A lot of info I didn't know till now so well worth the read.

Apparently this is "going to kill THQ!"

The deal with the subs sounds strange but better than that stupid shine!!!

Also, if you counter a takedown attempt at just the right time, you can catch the guys head in a guillotine! :D

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/556353.page

EDIT: Video below has new gameplay, much better than what we have seen already, this along with the info from the link above shows this game is definitely shaping up to be better than Undisputed

skip to 5:40

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Found a great read about a tester's hands on experience with a pre alpha build. A lot of info about the gameplay, what the buttons do, how subs work, how stand up, takedowns and transitions work. A lot of info I didn't know till now so well worth the read.

Apparently this is "going to kill THQ!"

The deal with the subs sounds strange but better than that stupid shine!!!

Also, if you counter a takedown attempt at just the right time, you can catch the guys head in a guillotine! :D

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/556353.page

EDIT: Video below has new gameplay, much better than what we have seen already, this along with the info from the link above shows this game is definitely shaping up to be better than Undisputed

skip to 5:40

Link didnt work for me, but if it's the same write up that was posted here before, it was written by an Admin on the EA Forums...... so there's definately gonna be a bias!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Really looking forward to seeing this. Have FNR4 and too be honest after playing the fluid Undisputed 2010 it does seem very sluggish.

This has soo many things going for it, the differences to UFC games (rings, etc.), very impressive roster, I think the fact it is EA is a bigy as well. I'm sure someone will point out a stinker but when it comes to game development, especially sports games, EA are top of the pile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭RoryMac

You should defo pick up Fight Night, great game for wasting a few hours or with mates over for some beer.

EA MMA is looking very good, i'm a fan of the UFC games but i think this will blow them out of the water.

Advertisement