Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland equals DOG UNFRIENDLY country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Jinxi wrote: »
    I have had my dog for two months and I am super aware of her in public because lots of people have a fear of dogs. She has never been off leash unless its a rural river walk, and I would NEVER bring her into a shop.

We have been(so far) chased of two beaches, told to get the f**K of a path outside a shop, told by three parents to muzzle her(she is a four month old collie pup) when THEIR kids came over to pet her then freaked out when she jumped up on them to lick them, and been told of by three strangers that we shouldn't have dogs because they are horrible.

I am quite shocked by how dog unfriendly Ireland is.

Counldnt agree with you more... Ireland is very dog unfriendly...

The whole agruement that people are afraid of dogs is rubbish... if a dog is on its lead what is there to be afraid of ??... its people ignorance... its just an excuse...

I am all on for dogs (well behaved) being included in every day life.... ie walking to get a pint of milk... dropping back a dvd to extra vision etc... now i wouldnt bringmy guy into a clothes shop or anything but the at the weekends if im walking down to get the papers or sitting outside to have a coffee i will bring him... counldnt care less what people say..
    At the end of the day my dog is part of my family and in all cases appropiate he will be included whether people like it or not....

otherwise they can mind their own business...:D

Dont think dogs should be left into shops as many people are nervous of dogs and dont want to come across them when availing of public services, lifes hard enough without having to worry about someones dog.

Just because you love your dog doesn't mean that everyone else does, so if you want a dog, walk it on a leash in public by all means but as its something that you own keep it in the back garden the rest of the time. No one will say anything to you then because they won't have any reason too.

your not a dog lover then??

At the end of the day... same could be said about bold children... leave them in the house (attended of course) as no one want to listen to them screaming or see them running around like brats...

At the end of the day... live and let live... we all have to share this planet... whether your a dog owner, or a parent or whatever etc.... live and let live.... why not all try and get along etc.. dog owners should not be forced to leave their dogs in the garden beacuse you dont like them or are afraid of them.... stay away from them and more than likely a dog will get the "i dont like dog" vibe and stay away... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

Sparkling Sea is scared of dogs and I sympathize with her. It can't be easy.
    People who own dogs think of them as part of the family. That's why we have them. They spend long enough in the back garden when were at work.
    I avoid places with noisy children and get annoyed at big buggies being pushed around small shops but imagine if you were told you couldn't take your child/baby into a shop. That's how many dog owners feel.

Tootle wrote: »
    Sparkling Sea is scared of dogs and I sympathize with her. It can't be easy.
    People who own dogs think of them as part of the family. That's why we have them. They spend long enough in the back garden when were at work.
    I avoid places with noisy children and get annoyed at big buggies being pushed around small shops but imagine if you were told you couldn't take your child/baby into a shop. That's how many dog owners feel.

Tootle... i have to say as a dog owner... im not bothered about my dog not being allowed into a shop (ie clothes shop etc), but for me i cannot see where there problem is sitting outside and having a coffee with ur dog (on the lead of course) as long as its well behaved etc...

but i do whole heartly agree with your statement... they spend long enough alone in the garden while we are with work... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

cocker5 wrote: »
    Tootle... i have to say as a dog owner... im not bothered about my dog not being allowed into a shop (ie clothes shop etc), but for me i cannot see where there problem is sitting outside and having a coffee with ur dog (on the lead of course) as long as its well behaved etc...

but i do whole heartly agree with your statement... they spend long enough alone in the garden while we are with work... :D

I agree, if you'e sitting outside having a coffee in a coffee shop, I don't see the problem in bringing your dog.

Back home in Sweden, a lot a places would allow that and as long as the dog is well behaved.:)

• Advertisement

Has anyone actually been turned away from outside a coffee shop with their dog? I thought it was more a problem of not letting dogs inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Dogs are territorial.
    So, a dog is in your shop, no biggie. But the next dog in will get the scent and mark the territory as his. And the next.
    So you end up with a wet floor and sticky shovels.

Have to respond on the above.

For more than two years now I have been regularly bringing both my dogs to Pet Mania here in Santry, Dublin - they meet other dogs, rabbits, parrots, lizards and even a Chinchilla and they have never urinated inside or even in the vicinity of the store - even with the inspiration of the aquariums! I don't believe my dogs are exceptional in any way. They are simply house trained and know it is not appropriate to urinate or worse indoors.

Of course dogs do need to be trained how to behave in shops but then again, so do humans. For proof of this you just have to go to my local Spar when the schools are out for lunch - the kids run riot.

I whole-heartedly agree with the OP that Ireland is extremely pet unfriendly.
    Just look at the situation with public transport. If you don't have a car you are practically confined to your local area with your dog. With a little imagination it really doesn't have to be this way.

In Germany, France and Italy I have personally seen how dogs are integrated into society and how, despite the kinds of dire warnings for the future of civilsation we tend to hear here when this topic is raised, chaos fails miserably to ensue. Dogs in stores, dogs on cramped metros, even dogs in restaurants and everyone seems to escape with limbs still attached and plague-free.

As a consumer, I would certainly favour a store which permitted dogs access over one which doesn't and given the amount of dog owners in Ireland, perhaps a little cohesion on this issue would serve to counter the very vocal and frequently outlandish claims proffered against the idea of a more welcoming society for dogs and their owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

your not a dog lover then??

At the end of the day... same could be said about bold children... leave them in the house (attended of course) as no one want to listen to them screaming or see them running around like brats...

At the end of the day... live and let live... we all have to share this planet... whether your a dog owner, or a parent or whatever etc.... live and let live.... why not all try and get along etc.. dog owners should not be forced to leave their dogs in the garden beacuse you dont like them or are afraid of them.... stay away from them and more than likely a dog will get the "i dont like dog" vibe and stay away... :confused:[/QUOTE

The oh my God I think I am going to throw up or wet myself vibe seems to make dogs more interested to be honest and their owners seem to think that its not a problem because "he won't hurt you". Having artrithis I find it quite painful when a dog jumps up on me - but what would I know, its not my dog only my leg.
    At the end of the day the same can't be said about children realistically.
    Humans and animals are different and not comparable.

I have recently got a dog and I wouldn't dream of leaving him off his lead outside, anymore then I would for instance leave him on his own all day long expecting my neighbours to put with his barking and him to put up with the boredom.

A little bit of consideration of other people is all that is needed and most dog owners appear to be very responsible in this regard - it is fairly unusual now to see a dog being walked off a lead.
    Live and let live keep your dog at home - play with him there or bring him out on a lead so that everyone can go out in comfort. Some dog owners dont realise that although they know their dogs temperment - they are probably the only one who does with any degree of certainty and dogs off leads make many people uncomfortable.

[
    I have recently got a dog and I wouldn't dream of leaving him off his lead outside, anymore then I would for instance leave him on his own all day long expecting my neighbours to put with his barking and him to put up with the boredom.

I dont think anyone is talking about having dogs out and about off the lead. The point was if a dog is well behaved (this includes not jumping on people in public) and under control, then what is the problem taking him into the open air centre of a shopping mall (like taking him up the main street in a town). This was the OP's reason for saying Ireland is unfriendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

it’s just another one of those stupid laws in Ireland that for some reason seems to be enforced - how come dogs on the continent are allowed into all sorts of shops and even some restaurants but yet in Ireland the staff recite off some ancient by law about hygiene or some sort of nonsense - I don't think our country is cleaner than France, Sweden etc to say the very least! It’s a bit like the no bikes allowed on the DART - every other country that I have been to allows you bring your bike onto the Tube, Metro etc., but not in this land.
    I brought the dog into the bookies to place a bet for the neighbour on a greyhound race and was ran out of the place with the dog. What a farce!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I don't see the problem with people walking dogs off lead if the dog is very well behaved and well trained. Obviously if the dog isn't, it should be on a lead. But you see some dogs that are brilliant walking off lead, round here you usually see old people with old terriers walking along perfectly well behaved behind them. :)

I know if you're scared then it might scare you to see a dog off lead, but if the dog is well behaved well . . . the dog owner has a right to walk their dog off lead, it's unfortunate that people are scared but what can ya do . . .

It must be awful to have a fear of dogs, but people are scared of other things too, cars or other things, and we can't ban them or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

A little bit of consideration of other people is all that is needed and most dog owners appear to be very responsible in this regard - it is fairly unusual now to see a dog being walked off a lead.
    Live and let live keep your dog at home - play with him there or bring him out on a lead so that everyone can go out in comfort. Some dog owners dont realise that although they know their dogs temperment - they are probably the only one who does with any degree of certainty and dogs off leads make many people uncomfortable.

Where is your consideration??? Not only would you prefer a dog to stay at home, you'd also want it on a leash when its not at home, are you serious?? What kind of life is that for such an intelligent, sensitive animal as a dog, never to chase a ball, go for a swim, wrestle with a friend etc. it would be the equivalent to a human spending its life in solitary confinement.
    I'm sorry you're afraid of dogs I really am but to be honest that's your phobia not mine and don't see why my dog should suffer for it. There are things in life that don't suit me v.well but I get on with it, I wouldn't expect other people to go out of their way for me.
    My dogs get an off leash run everyday, a short run off leash is more benefical than a long walk on leash, it tires the body and works the mind. I'm all for live and let live and that is why my dogs are social and trained but it works both ways, you can't expect dogs owners to have to contantly give way all the time to irrantional hysteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Dogs are territorial.

So, a dog is in your shop, no biggie. But the next dog in will get the scent and mark the territory as his. And the next.

Some of us have female dogs - do you think they mark floors too?

Yesterday I saw an adult in bare feet (they looked filthy) enter a local supermarket; why was he admitted when dogs are barred?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

It's interesting to hear some of the arguements for and against bringing dogs into shops and public areas here.
    The bit about people who are allergic to dogs is interesting, how do allergic people in other more dog friendly countries cope with dogs being allowed in cafes and pubs?
    Also as regards people who are genuinely afraid of dogs, while I do sympathise with you I cannot imagine what its like, but I don't see why all dog owners and their dogs should lose out because of another person's problem. I honestly do not see the problem with a well behaved dog (one that will not jump up on people, snap at people or mark everything) being allowed more freedom to go places.

Im not overly fond of children, personally I find them a nuisance at times, their parents don't watch them, they run around under your feet screaming, but I don't see them being told to leave? I work in a shop so I see firsthand the nuisance that some kids cause, they run around annoying other customers, play on the trollies (which is very very dangerous, one little boy fell off one and hit is head, only then did the mother actually bother to care :rolleyes:), pull things off the shelves, scream (Im not talking about babies, Im talking about the 3 and 4 year olds that just don't get their sweeties :rolleyes:) and steal things (one certain family who send their kids in to steal things). Now I know not every child does these things, the vast majority of them don't but this is the same with dogs. Some dogs will pee on things, nip people or jump up on people but there are a lot of dogs who are very well behaved. Id prefer to see a well behaved dog come into the shop anyday compared to some kids! And I have turned a blind eye to a few people who have come in with well behaved dogs before, the way I see it is it's much safer than leaving them tied up outside, one woman left her malamute x outside only for the poor thing to be mauled by children trying to rub it. :mad:

I think it's the attitude towards dogs in this country that needs to change. Dogs are considered animals (which I know they are, Im not saying their little humans in fur coats) no better than a cow out in a field. People in Ireland have this attitude that dog's are animals so therefore should be outside in the garden all day while the domesticated human goes out to the shops, and that animals are also dirty things that can never be fully trusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Counldnt agree with you more... Ireland is very dog unfriendly...

The whole agruement that people are afraid of dogs is rubbish... if a dog is on its lead what is there to be afraid of ??... its people ignorance... its just an excuse...

I am all on for dogs (well behaved) being included in every day life.... ie walking to get a pint of milk... dropping back a dvd to extra vision etc... now i wouldnt bringmy guy into a clothes shop or anything but the at the weekends if im walking down to get the papers or sitting outside to have a coffee i will bring him... counldnt care less what people say..
    At the end of the day my dog is part of my family and in all cases appropiate he will be included whether people like it or not....

otherwise they can mind their own business...:D

Within moderation, very unfair to bring a dog though a mad crowded place. Selfish to be flippant about other peoples very real phobias.

I don't agree with people who see their pets as being on par with children, just find it slightly creepy;) A person could say their needs are the same but at the end of the day (major clichay [sp?] in this thread) they have slightly different ones and interpret the world differently.

One thing they have in common is boredom at being brought through the shops!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

lrushe wrote: »
    Where is your consideration??? Not only would you prefer a dog to stay at home, you'd also want it on a leash when its not at home, are you serious?? What kind of life is that for such an intelligent, sensitive animal as a dog, never to chase a ball, go for a swim, wrestle with a friend etc. it would be the equivalent to a human spending its life in solitary confinement.
    I'm sorry you're afraid of dogs I really am but to be honest that's your phobia not mine and don't see why my dog should suffer for it. There are things in life that don't suit me v.well but I get on with it, I wouldn't expect other people to go out of their way for me.
    My dogs get an off leash run everyday, a short run off leash is more benefical than a long walk on leash, it tires the body and works the mind. I'm all for live and let live and that is why my dogs are social and trained but it works both ways, you can't expect dogs owners to have to contantly give way all the time to irrantional hysteria.

Your post sounds like irrational hysteria:p

Dogs can be played with in the garden, dogs can be played with in the home. Dogs can also be played with while on the lead (shock horror)

So you want to live and let live but are unwilling to relent a little? I take it you have no experience of a phobia.

The oh my God I think I am going to throw up or wet myself vibe seems to make dogs more interested to be honest and their owners seem to think that its not a problem because "he won't hurt you". Having artrithis I find it quite painful when a dog jumps up on me - but what would I know, its not my dog only my leg.
    At the end of the day the same can't be said about children realistically.
    Humans and animals are different and not comparable.

Live and let live keep your dog at home - play with him there or bring him out on a lead so that everyone can go out in comfort. Some dog owners dont realise that although they know their dogs temperment - they are probably the only one who does with any degree of certainty and dogs off leads make many people uncomfortable.[/QUOTE]

I think your statements are a little weird to be very honest.. i understand you have issues with dogs, and for that i am sorry but your attitude towards dog owners is slightly alarming to say the least... have you though of therapy for you phobia?

not menaing to sound harsh but its your phobia... and while i do agree that NO dog owner should allow its dog to jump up on people or annoy strangers etc.... i dont agree with your attitude to keep your dog in the garden... :confused:

No body mentioned anything about walking dogs off lead.. especially when other people are around...

I think your need to see someone about your phobia... best of luck with it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jelfs

Dogs are territorial.

I'm sure that won't happen if the owner trains them properly. It's all sown to the owner being responsible!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballymac676

Cannot believe what I am reading in this thread. As a lifetime dog owner and a very responsible owner of 3 dogs I wouldn't dream of going out for a meal and attempting to take any of my dogs with me. Thank God we have health and safety laws which doesn't allow animals around food etc. Also all of these dog owners who are out at work all day and want to erase their guilt of leaving these animals unattended all day by taking them to unsuitable places should have thought more carefully before becoming dog owners. Sweden will not rehome a dog to anyone who is out of the home for more than 4 hours at a time. Dogs are a wonderful friend, gave love and loyalty without question but they are a dog and not a human. In relation to the op I do think it is grossly unfair that you were moved from an outside premises. We take our dogs everywhere with us and often sit outside in a rural area for something to eat with the dogs without any hassle at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Cannot believe what I am reading in this thread. As a lifetime dog owner and a very responsible owner of 3 dogs I wouldn't dream of going out for a meal and attempting to take any of my dogs with me. Thank God we have health and safety laws which doesn't allow animals around food etc. Also all of these dog owners who are out at work all day and want to erase their guilt of leaving these animals unattended all day by taking them to unsuitable places should have thought more carefully before becoming dog owners. Sweden will not rehome a dog to anyone who is out of the home for more than 4 hours at a time. Dogs are a wonderful friend, gave love and loyalty without question but they are a dog and not a human. In relation to the op I do think it is grossly unfair that you were moved from an outside premises. We take our dogs everywhere with us and often sit outside in a rural area for something to eat with the dogs without any hassle at all.

Your post is a little confusing. :confused: First you say you wouldn't dream of bringing them with you when going for a meal, then you say you often sit outside in a rural area for something to eat? :confused: Can I ask why wouldn't you dream of taking them with you when going for a meal? You have just stated that you wouldn't but didn't give a reason not to.
    Id have no problem bringing my dog with me when going for a meal if I was allowed, all I have to do is put his blanket on the floor and he'l lie there snoozing. I done it before when we were up the north, we sat outside a cafe and had a lovely fry up with the dog attached to the chair, he didn't cause a bit of hassle and you wouldn't have noticed he was there.

• Advertisement

Sorry for confusion what I meant was that I wouldn't take them indoors to a restaurant but would sit outside and have a coffee and sandwich. I think at all times you have to respect the law and other people who are not dog lovers and do not want their space invaded by other peoples pets. Yes my dogs are all obedience trained and would lie down and wait for us to move again but a lot of dogs would quite literally 'drool' at the table looking for tidbits. I prefer to take my dogs with me rather than leave them at home (even though we have a huge secure garden) when we go off for the day. But I exercise them before we go and stop somewhere secure on route - I don't feel the need to take them into shops etc.

Sorry for confusion what I meant was that I wouldn't take them indoors to a restaurant but would sit outside and have a coffee and sandwich. I think at all times you have to respect the law and other people who are not dog lovers and do not want their space invaded by other peoples pets. Yes my dogs are all obedience trained and would lie down and wait for us to move again but a lot of dogs would quite literally 'drool' at the table looking for tidbits. I prefer to take my dogs with me rather than leave them at home (even though we have a huge secure garden) when we go off for the day. But I exercise them before we go and stop somewhere secure on route - I don't feel the need to take them into shops etc.

So would you leave them in the car then while you go to the shops?? Just interested!

Why would I take three dogs to the shops?? I live in the country and am at home all day with my dogs. They are very well exercised. If I go shopping I go shopping!

I'm sorry but that's the way it read above.
    "I prefer to take my dogs with me rather than leave them at home (even though we have a huge secure garden) when we go off for the day. But I exercise them before we go and stop somewhere secure on route - I don't feel the need to take them into shops etc."
    Excuse my confusion?

I don't go shopping for the day. When we go off for the day it could be to a show - we have horses. Dogs are welcome at shows. Seem to be getting away from the point here which was that I personally agree that dogs should not be allowed in restaurants etc that the rules are there for a reason. But I firmly believe that dog owners have a duty to their pets to look after them well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Personally I don't get the whole 'not having dogs around food' thing, my dog has his bed in our kitchen/diner, he's there when I'm preparing food, eating food, as is the cat, how is that any different to them sitting in a restaurant under the table.
    I've been to a few places in Europe where dogs are allowed everywhere, in Vienna I was in Zara and a lady was browsing with her big German Shepherd, in France we were walking down the Croisette in Cannes and a dog stopped outside one of the poshest hotels, had a crap and the owner just waited and then kept walking, not a notion of picking it up, the best one was in Venice we went into a really crowded coffee shop, no spare tables or seats, a older couple had a table with three seats, one for him, one for her and one for the big fat King Charles Cavalier, he was actually sitting up on the seat. All of these times, noone batted an eyelid (except us, to chuckle!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Your post sounds like irrational hysteria:p

Dogs can be played with in the garden, dogs can be played with in the home. Dogs can also be played with while on the lead (shock horror)

So you want to live and let live but are unwilling to relent a little? I take it you have no experience of a phobia.

Of course dogs can be played with at home to a degree but how would you feel if you had to see the same 4 walls day in day out for the rest of your life, how bland and boring would your life be??? Shock Horror, no dogs can't be excerised imo on a lead, they can't run at speed or they get jerked in the neck when they reach the end of the lead, they can't swim without getting caught in the lead, they can't play with another dog without getting leads jumbled up etc.
    "Unwilling to relent a little", are you mad, that's all dog owners do time and time again. We can't go here, we can't go there, we can't get on public transport, into certain playgrounds, certain beaches at certain time, if you ask me all we do is relent.
    I ( and many other people) have issues in life ( not necessarily to do with dogs ) but don't expect anyone else to deal with them and that's what live and let live is all about, you deal with your issues and I'll deal with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭crazyFeet

If they make it legal then the shops will probably get eaten by dogs who's owners are not far from them brainwise. There are some people that shouldn't be allowed to have pets, i was bringing my lil' brother into town and there was this idio! standing with a pitbull (it has been proven than these dogs are unpredictible and dangerous), the dog had no mouth guard either which is illegal but i see it all the time. It is fine if it's a boxer or something, but pitbull... bumb into one that isn't being trained properly, and it is in the shop where you can't avoid it and you are a gonner... so if owners like this will be allowed to bring their pits everywhere, i wouldn't leave my house! I've seen them dogs fighting back in my homecoutry, and believe me, you don't wana b their pray... all in all, there are just too many idiots with dogs out there, and that has to be sorted first so owners who know their dogs can then go into public places. But the government has No control over this, it is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

crazyFeet wrote: »
    If they make it legal then the shops will probably get eaten by dogs who's owners are not far from them brainwise. There are some people that shouldn't be allowed to have pets, i was bringing my lil' brother into town and there was this idio! standing with a pitbull (it has been proven than these dogs are unpredictible and dangerous), the dog had no mouth guard either which is illegal but i see it all the time. It is fine if it's a boxer or something, but pitbull... bumb into one that isn't being trained properly, and it is in the shop where you can't avoid it and you are a gonner... so if owners like this will be allowed to bring their pits everywhere, i wouldn't leave my house! I've seen them dogs fighting back in my homecoutry, and believe me, you don't wana b their pray... all in all, there are just too many idiots with dogs out there, and that has to be sorted first so owners who know their dogs can then go into public places. But the government has No control over this, it is a joke

Here we go again, every topic about dogs and this crap gets wheeled out :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

crazyFeet wrote: »

Lol.

Advertisement