Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter X Tekken is for REAL!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

By the way are all fighting games from now on going to be sequels?

Skullgirls says hi :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

Ah man, you're not going to win this argument. You weren't here when the forum was being fought for: It was SF4 which led literally and directly to it's creation. Other games used to have a worryingly small representation here (not that we were happy about that, Day of Champions started as an attempt to change it). I can recall going over to the main games forum and asking the (plentiful) people in the MK thread to come to tournaments and post here: like a brick wall. Different now of course.

You may have preferred MLG as an MK fan, but the guys in work ask me what weekend Evo is on so they can watch some games. I think you're missing the point. Personally I think they'd all agree MK was a better package of a game than say SSF4: But they're not pushed about getting into the scene, they just want to watch the "1" big tournament, and in their heads, that's Evo.

In a similar vein, do you think Spooky could have been able to come out to support MK if he'd not built up his presence with all those SSF4 streams?

I think it's very dangerous for fighting games in general to ignore Capcoms follies when it comes to SFxT.

People who disregard Capcom like to say how the dark age was a myth: Certainly felt like a dark age when I was playing CvS2 on my own in my house with no arcades and no network play to find others.

doom with all due respect i think your misunderstanding me,
    im not arguing at all,
    ive already said capcom/sf is the glue that sticks all the other scenes together here so i dont know how that could be seen as me arguing your point?

my point was more sf could of been the main reason for the forum here but not the only one

im not trying to say if either sf or mk is better either as thats a retarded thing to go back and forth on,the point i was trying to make is "the pinnacle" or "1 big show" differs depending on your view on things,

evo is a institution no one can deny that but does that mean whatever headlines evo is the pinnacle of the years of growth in the FGC and without it the evo would be lost, no, just as if mlg drops mk mlg will go on.

i enjoyed mlg more not because it was mk but because games were treated like boxing matches in vegas, even people who ive talked to who were there said it blows evo out of the water

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Letters no offense but you have no clue what you're on about when it comes to the creation of this forum. Maybe go back and read the forum requests thread about it.

As for MK having huge tournament scenes, I'm not sure exactly when you're talking about but afaik the MK series was extremely niche in the fighting game tournament scene for the past decade. The big games have been:

MvC2
    Alpha 3
    3rd Strike
    CvS2
    Guilty Gear series
    Tekken series
    ST/Hyper SF 2
    Soul Calibur 2 and 4

I'm pretty sure MK's scene was very small compared to any of these games. Not that that says anything bad about MK, I just don't think saying it had a huge tourney scene is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure MK's scene was very small compared to any of these games. Not that that says anything bad about MK, I just don't think saying it had a huge tourney scene is accurate.
    And even if it did, I would've been like the Smash Bros tourney scene, which is very much a separate thing outside of the regular fighting game community.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I think they need to get back to basics and evolve from there. There is too much manga, RPG, Pokemon, comeback systems and gem type boosts. Combos are too long and punishing. This only rewards a certain type of player.

lol what? Pokémon RPG fighting game? What are you even talking about? I want to play it!

Also manga is an aesthetic/design choice, it doesn't really impact whether a game is "good" and isn't relevant to SFxT specifically.

I have no problem with comeback mechanics.

• Advertisement

No combo should do any more than 25% damage in any fighting game.

Why 25% out of interest? 20%-25% is around what I'd say a meterless punish combo should be.

If 25% is the max you can do using your whole super (or equivalent) bar, what do you get meterless? 10%? Why would I not reversal in this game all day every day if I'm only eating that little damage?

edit: @ Vyze, Smash was at Evo 2k7 but yeah that's pretty much true.

Letters no offense but you have no clue what you're on about when it comes to the creation of this forum. Maybe go back and read the forum requests thread about it.

As for MK having huge tournament scenes, I'm not sure exactly when you're talking about but afaik the MK series was extremely niche in the fighting game tournament scene for the past decade. The big games have been:

MvC2
    Alpha 3
    3rd Strike
    CvS2
    Guilty Gear series
    Tekken series
    ST/Hyper SF 2
    Soul Calibur 2 and 4

no offense taken,your right i dont, were would i find these requests so i can read them?

i was talking about mk have a big tourny scene before mk9 globally, not just in ireland, and with no offense to you also it may seen niche if you dont know about the mk scene pre mk9,
    there was such a big scene for mk2 and umk3 grew on that,both are still played in tournies today, mk4 fell flat on it face but picked up again when the 3d mks came out, even the pile of garbage that was mk vd dc had big tourny going, while they mightnt of been to sf scene level there was a huge following with america,brazil and chile prob being the biggest of them,tourny wise

I don't have time to find the thread right now but you should find it handy enough searching Forum Requests.

I wasn't talking about Ireland in that post. And how big are the "huge" tournaments you're talking about? Particularly in America, I'm not really bothered what those headers in Brazil and Chile were up to. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

No combo should do any more than 25% damage in any fighting game.

We've had the combo discussion before (probably many times) but as far as I'm concerned I don't care how much damage a combo does as long I don't get bored off my arse watching it.

Combos in SF2 did crazy damage but they were always over in a second or two so it's all fine by me.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055404114&page=2
    It only gets interesting around post 71, imo

(Only kidding, it's not a very interesting read, save for seeing how bizarrely unfamiliar with each other we all are at that point!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Vyze wrote: »
    And even if it did, I would've been like the Smash Bros tourney scene, which is very much a separate thing outside of the regular fighting game community.

The Smash scene is kind of depressing.
    It is completely separate from regular fighting games to begin with, and even within this isolation, it's broken down into different groups.

The Melee crowd and the Brawl crowd are separate, and don't get along.

The Brawl crowd is further broken down into the people who play Brawl as is, and people who play the fan-altered Brawl games (of which there are more than one).

It's like a "How to" guide on how communities shouldn't be. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

cunny-funt :pac:

I don't have time to find the thread right now but you should find it handy enough searching Forum Requests.

I wasn't talking about Ireland in that post. And how big are the "huge" tournaments you're talking about? Particularly in America, I'm not really bothered what those headers in Brazil and Chile were up to. :pac:

boards search function...ugh :(

im not the stats keeper of all mk lol
    do u know the amount of people who went to every sf3 tourny in america?

the game was out in 93 and still has tournies to this day how bigger do u want to be? it was more popular in american arcades than sf was at the time also, so if the sf scene was to be called a huge one, mk had it the same

The ignorance going on in that old thread makes my head hurt. :pac:

The ignorance going on in that old thread makes my head hurt. :pac:

To be fair, the Games cat was in rag order at the time.

Shortly after the FG forum finally got passed, they were talking about reorganising it and merging some forums and I was on the thread about it just repeating over and over "touch my Fighting Game forum and you will die". lol

boards search function...ugh :(

im not the stats keeper of all mk lol
    do u know the amount of people who went to every sf3 tourny in america?

the game was out in 93 and still has tournies to this day how bigger do u want to be? it was more popular in american arcades than sf was at the time also, so if the sf scene was to be called a huge one, mk had it the same

No, but I know 3s didn't get great numbers in the USA for the first 5 or so years it was out (Evo 2003 or 2004 I think it started picking up). That said I'm sure in general it had much bigger numbers than any of the MK games when it was being played, and it was an extremely divisive game that plenty of people hated and refused to play.

The fact that the game came out in 93 and still has tournaments doesn't say a single thing about how big the tournaments are dude. If I had held a weekly Breakers Revenge tournament for the last 20 years with 2 people every week that doesn't mean it has a huge scene.

I think you're confused as to the time period people talk about when we're talking about the fighting games scene (in America particularly, but Europe too). It's mostly the 2000s people are talking about, not when SF2 was new in the arcades (apart from Doom).

Sure there was a scene before that, and plenty of tournaments, etc., but it was a lot more fragmented, and anything before the first Evo, or B3, or B2, whatever point you want to put it at, is ancient history. The time period I was talking about is when Evo was running and getting people from across America (and the world) together to play, and events like Absolution were being run in the UK, etc.

Over the last ten years or so I'm pretty sure MK hasn't had much of a look in.

If I had held a weekly Breakers Revenge tournament for the last 20 years with 2 people every week that doesn't mean it has a huge scene.

No but it would have been freakin' awesome.

the game was out in 93 and still has tournies to this day how bigger do u want to be?
    Q-Con is having a Tekken Ball tournament, after its release in 1998. The Tekken Ball scene is massive and is at least as popular as SF4.

No, but I know 3s didn't get great numbers in the USA for the first 5 or so years it was out (Evo 2003 or 2004 I think it started picking up). That said I'm sure in general it had much bigger numbers than any of the MK games when it was being played, and it was an extremely divisive game that plenty of people hated and refused to play.

The fact that the game came out in 93 and still has tournaments doesn't say a single thing about how big the tournaments are dude. If I had held a weekly Breakers Revenge tournament for the last 20 years with 2 people every week that doesn't mean it has a huge scene.

I think you're confused as to the time period people talk about when we're talking about the fighting games scene (in America particularly, but Europe too). It's mostly the 2000s people are talking about, not when SF2 was new in the arcades (apart from Doom).

Sure there was a scene before that, and plenty of tournaments, etc., but it was a lot more fragmented, and anything before the first Evo, or B3, or B2, whatever point you want to put it at, is ancient history. The time period I was talking about is when Evo was running and getting people from across America (and the world) together to play, and events like Absolution were being run in the UK, etc.

Over the last ten years or so I'm pretty sure MK hasn't had much of a look in.

ok i thought we were talking about FGs as a whole not from 2000 onwards,

i was saying about how long its been out and still being played for the fact off it had that much of a scene thats its still going now,no game 10+years old just picks up a brand new scene but the mk2/mk3 scene was so big that now its still going, that was my point...and not in 2 man tournies in basements either, search up about it

"Over the last ten years or so I'm pretty sure MK hasn't had much of a look in"
    just because it wasnt a evo? just because it wasnt were u were looking?
    cmon man dont be so closed minded because you dont know about it

also while reading through the request thread my point of the forum was started for all FGs and not just sf kinda seems pretty valid from the things im reading

anyways i grow weary on defending mk, even when its not needed, so....

demotivational-posters-hugs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

No combo should do any more than 25% damage in any fighting game. They can be as flashy as they want but I hate games where you make one mistake (or someone gets a jammy guess) and lose over half your health.

Others have got here first, but I'd just like to say that it cannot be overstated how utterly foam-at-the-mouth, bark-at-the moon insane this idea is.

• Advertisement

I never said there wasn't an MK scene or that it didn't have a consistent presence through the years Letters, just responding to your post that it had a "huge" tourney scene. I'd definitely say that that's an overstatement. It has nothing to do with me being closed-minded.

edit: And correct, it was started as a forum for all Fighting Games, but the only reason it was ever a possibility on boards was because of the resurgeance in fighting games SF4 caused, and it was 99% SF4-related posts for quite a long time.

I never said there wasn't an MK scene or that it didn't have a consistent presence through the years Letters, just responding to your post that it had a "huge" tourney scene. I'd definitely say that that's an overstatement. It has nothing to do with me being closed-minded.

edit: And correct, it was started as a forum for all Fighting Games, but the only reason it was ever a possibility on boards was because of the resurgeance in fighting games SF4 caused, and it was 99% SF4-related posts for quite a long time.

sir i respect the hell outta you for the things ive been told u did/still do for the IFGC but in the words of Bill Menoutis..stop,just stop

i never said u said there wasnt a scene??? :confused:

ive explained what i can from the mk2/umk3 days and if being bigger than any other fighting game at the time in mk2 case isnt "huge" to you, im sorry i couldnt explain more

also ive already said that the sf kommunity was/is the glue that held everything together here,i very thankful for that aswell

i can onto this thread to talk about sfxt, saw mk being mentioned and used it as a example in replying to doom, i dont want to/need to argue with people about mk, im sure theres enough people that dislike me for things ive said before and dont need that added too

"Stop, just stop"? Wtf kind of way is that to talk to somebody? I'm done with this conversation too.

SFxT is ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

SFxT is ass.

QFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Yreval wrote: »
    Others have got here first, but I'd just like to say that it cannot be overstated how utterly foam-at-the-mouth, bark-at-the moon insane this idea is.

I am too lazy to learn all those 40%+ combos so nobody should have them :pac:

I am too lazy to learn all those 40%+ combos so nobody should have them :pac:

but you play mk dont ya? sure look at the kombos in that,
    mileena and jades damage is ass but they can get 30% meterless

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

I love my gems

but you play mk dont ya? sure look at the kombos in that,
    mileena and jades damage is ass but they can get 30% meterless
    Seriously stop typing "kommunity" and "kombos".

Vyze wrote: »
    Seriously stop typing "kommunity" and "kombos".

ok but then people have to stop typing "light" "medium" or "heavy"..."short" "foward" and "roundhouse" will have to go aswell, even the short hand version offends me

im also offended by "DP" and "QCF" or "QCB" as they are not to do with the game i play so i dont want anyone one else typing them on a gaming internet forum

thank you :D

• Advertisement

Er, I don't think you understand the difference between actual words and misspellings of words that look cool when you're 13.

As for notation, I could've sworn that MK had a few QCF moves? Or are they down-neutral-forward + button?

Advertisement