Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter X Tekken is for REAL!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Tweet from Seth Killian: News re: SFxT w/ free DLC, patches, etc coming this morning from @Capcom_Unity. Buckle up!

Hopefully it's an on-time blog post this time around...

🤪

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Tweet from Seth Killian: News re: SFxT w/ free DLC, patches, etc coming this morning from @Capcom_Unity. Buckle up!

Hopefully it's an on-time blog post this time around...

I was watching online warrior this morning and Max was mentioning that Sven said that they've basically had to change all their plans about the dlc because of this and it's ruined the "big idea" they had for them (which to me is pretty obviously the update to SFxT to it's "Super" iteration). We'll see, because in spite of all I've said here, I don't feel like getting screwed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

Hot on the heels of its March 6 release date, SFxT is about to kick off regular updates - meant to keep the experience fresh all through the year - with a blend of free and paid DLC. There's a whole bunch o' content coming, so let's break it all down...
    Up first on April 3 are Swap Costumes that take the "alternate costume" DLC idea one step further - instead of offering basic alts, these outfits cross the fashion line by dressing SF characters as Tekken characters and vice versa. See Raven dress as Guy, Cammy as King and uh, Kuma as R. Mika...(?)

Swap Costumes are available for $1.00 (80 Microsoft Points) each, or if you wanna dive in for the whole assortment you can pick up the Street Fighter or Tekken collection packs for $13.00 (1040 MSP) each - buying one pack saves $6.00, grabbing both saves $12.00. April 3 also brings three free color packs, each containing four new additions to the palette for added customization options. Topping off the April 3 additions are three new quick combos, making for a total of five pre-programmed attack patterns. While spamming these pre-set combos is tempting, don't forget each use saps some of your Cross Gauge!

Shortly after those items arrive, look for a free tournament support title update that will add a new and faster way to select your gems from the versus screen via a dial system. We'll actually run a live stream this Monday at 4pm PT to show off this update, so head to our Twitch TV page for details. The tournament update will also include improvements to the online sound issues discussed in Ayano-san's earlier blog.

Looking just a few more weeks beyond the tournament support addition, the next big wave is a massive selection of free content delivered as a title update. This includes three new Assist Gem packs and six new Boost Gem packs, which add over 60 gems to the selection pool. This sizable infusion of new gems exponentially increases the customization options for every player, so we should see some interesting new loadouts once this DLC arrives. To that point, we're also tossing in three more gem slots per character in which you can save your preferred loadouts. Finally, this update comes complete with a free replay analyzer, which enables you to dissect each fighters' vital statistics.

The biggest additions come soon after the PlayStation Vita version launches later this year - the 12 characters debuting on Vita will come to consoles as a $20.00 (1600 MSP) bundle. I know many were worried past character pricing would push the cost of this update sky high, so I'm happy to say Blanka, Sakura, Guy, Cody, Elena, Dudley, Alisa, Bryan, Christie, Jack, Lars and Lei will not break the bank.

One additional note - the dev team is also already working on solutions to the infinite combos currently making the rounds on YouTube, and will have them patched up once these other updates are out the door.

I know this was a massive wall of text, so for further clarity, here's everything we discussed above. This all begins on April 3 with Swap Costumes, color packs and quick combos, and then rolls out over the next several weeks:

FREE
    Nine new gem packs totaling 60+ new gems
    Replay analyzer
    Tournament support for gem selection
    Three new quick combo pre-sets
    Three additional gem loadout slots
    Three new color packs with four colors each

PAID
    Swap Costumes - $1.00 (80 MSP) each or in two $13.00 (1040 MSP) Street Fighter and/or Tekken packs
    DLC characters - $20.00 (1600 MSP) for all 12 new fighters

Hopefully the crying can stop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Neeknak wrote: »
    You know it won't, though.

Because I still find it shady to lock finished content on a disc.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

No offence Kiki, but with all the free stuff there, and the fact that SFxT plays so well, and has such a huge roster, with the important DLC at such a reasonable price (same as arcade edition for 12 characters) to me you are now simply moaning for the sake of moaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

As long as things like gems and colours stay free I'm fairly content.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Liquidswords

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

What the hell,

I leave for like a week and come back to 5 pages of Kiki arguing about something that does not affect him cause HE DIDN'T BUY THE GAME!!!!!!!

But yeah for free content and 13 bucks for packs of costumes and 20 for characters is not half bad.

Keep it friendly please, boys and girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Neeknak wrote: »

Some people will always find something to cry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

Thoughts on game so far: fun combos, very footsie based, lot's of things to discover. Also potentially the most poorly coded and tested major fighting game of the century imo. Oh and playing vs assist gems suck

What the hell,

I leave for like a week and come back to 5 pages of Kiki arguing about something that does not affect him cause HE DIDN'T BUY THE GAME!!!!!!!

But yeah for free content and 13 bucks for packs of costumes and 20 for characters is not half bad.
    It does affect me, though.

I refuse to buy the game BECAUSE of Capcom's business practices.

Why is that so hard to comprehend? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Well be prepared to miss out on a lot of games from a multitude of publishers so Kiki.

The games industry, once thought recession proof, is really getting hit hard. With studios shutting down and even retailers feeling the brunt.
    The 2nd hand market drags the revenues down further. Business is business. Revenue streams need to be ongoing.

I've a multitude of games where there was day one or close to it DLC, be it extra missions, online passes included for new games or be purchased if bought 2nd hand, and you know what, if it's a game that I'll put 100, (Or SFIV, 1000,s) of hours in, meaning I'm literally paying cents per hour factoring in the cost, I'm more then happy to purchase day one DLC.
    It costs a couple of euro in most cases, ensures the studio has a revenue stream as well as initial purchase of the game so they keep developing games I like.

On the other hand there's been games with day one DLC or very soon after release that I've really enjoyed the main game but didn't feel compelled to purchase the DLC as I was content with the main content.

Dreddy posted a really insightful post on the deflation of game prices, (Remember EVERYTHING was €60 a few years ago.)

Check your hours played on SFIV, divide by cost. (Including both SFIV and super costs, mine comes in at 10c per hour played.)

If you don't think SF V Tekken is for you, fine. Don't buy it.
    But if it's a game you possibly may sink 100's of hours into, then do. The DLC isn't mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Greatest song ever

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

GorySnake wrote: »

Quite possibly the greatest stage/theme ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Long as the game is fun and being supported I don't give a crap
    Hate reading all this money oriented statements, it's stupid and childish

Go make a "WHY DOES CAPCOM NOT LOVE THEIR FANS" thread and complain there please.

Nutrient wrote: »
    Long as the game is fun and being supported I don't give a crap
    Hate reading all this money oriented statements, it's stupid and childish

Go make a "WHY DOES CAPCOM NOT LOVE THEIR FANS" thread and complain there please.
    That would be MORE childish...

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

I'm surprised and disappointed to see so many Capcom apologists here. Capcom isn't particularly hard up, they sell good numbers of games and I can't imagine the budget for SFxT was particularly given the lack of polish and re-use of assets.

The proof that Capcom knows it's spewing b/s is that they are lying. What they are selling clearly is not DLC. DLC implies that content is actually being downloaded which is not the case, yet Capcom insists on calling it DLC. The fact that they have to lie about what the content is and where it's from is pretty telling.

Kiki, if you don't want to give Capcom your money or support them in any way, you can still play the game. Just buy it second hand, Capcom gets no money from used games sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I'm not part of the Dublin scene, so most of you won't know me, but I said I'd post here to express disappointment at 2 things.

First and foremost, to the people who dismissed Kiki's opinions as "Blind Nerd Rage", give him a break. The guy is disappointed by a business decision that frankly I don't think anybody loves the idea of (tolerates is a different thing). This board is better that accusing a poster of being childish and stupid because they don't like the way in which he is making his argument.

Secondly (and I'm going to try not to be emotive here).
    I did not buy SFxT, not because of the disk-locked content (who knew DLC had 2 meanings) but because of the removal of couch co-op on the 360 version. I should say this now; I really want to buy and play this game. It looks like lots of fun, and I know which characters I'd play straight away too.

My problem is that I am not happy with Capcom's business decisions, so I'm done supporting them for the foreseeable future. Resident Evil CV and 4 being €20, pay for multiplayer in RE5, Operation Racoon City being a cheap cash in, lying about 360 to cover up laziness about couch co-op... Collector's edition gems being (possibly) better... I could go on.

So, I might buy the game pre-owned, and if Capcom release another game I like the look of, that will be pre-owned as well.

Finally, to those who say this doesn't affect Kiki, or me, or Sabre (or probably others). It does. I want to play this game, but it get's to a point where I'm a hypocrite if I don't vote with my wallet.

• Advertisement

I'm not part of the Dublin scene, so most of you won't know me, but I said I'd post here to express disappointment at 2 things.

First and foremost, to the people who dismissed Kiki's opinions as "Blind Nerd Rage", give him a break. The guy is disappointed by a business decision that frankly I don't think anybody loves the idea of (tolerates is a different thing). This board is better that accusing a poster of being childish and stupid because they don't like the way in which he is making his argument.

Secondly (and I'm going to try not to be emotive here).
    I did not buy SFxT, not because of the disk-locked content (who knew DLC had 2 meanings) but because of the removal of couch co-op on the 360 version. I should say this now; I really want to buy and play this game. It looks like lots of fun, and I know which characters I'd play straight away too.

My problem is that I am not happy with Capcom's business decisions, so I'm done supporting them for the foreseeable future. Resident Evil CV and 4 being €20, pay for multiplayer in RE5, Operation Racoon City being a cheap cash in, lying about 360 to cover up laziness about couch co-op... Collector's edition gems being (possibly) better... I could go on.

So, I might buy the game pre-owned, and if Capcom release another game I like the look of, that will be pre-owned as well.

Finally, to those who say this doesn't affect Kiki, or me, or Sabre (or probably others). It does. I want to play this game, but it get's to a point where I'm a hypocrite if I don't vote with my wallet.

I respect your opinion and your reason for doing so, and I have no argument for your position: I agree that what Capcom did was low with the multiplayer and they've damaged my already previously shaky trust with them. I'm glad to hear (at least some of the) gems are free as I wouldn't pay for them. I have no doubt that this sudden show of altruism on Capcom's part has been because of the negative backlash in forums like this all over the world.

However there is a world of difference between this post and some of the arguments made earlier in this thread. I'm no Capcom fanboy: but it's a forum, and bad arguments will inevitabely be called on, it's kinda their function :)

I have yet to hear a solution to the problem that Capcom faced with the characters on the disc.

1) People complained when Capcom released a disc with 10 extra characters on it.

2) Capcom have stated 10 characters is too much for a patch.

3) Capcom obvioiusly had budget for more than 10 characters.

So, as far as I can see (and, being brutally honest, no one on the "other side" of this argument has offered a helpful solution to the problem, so I'm going with what I can think) Capcom have 2 options:

1) They authorise the budget early and get the characters on the disc, which means they can be released simultaneously with a small patch which will reduce dev costs and also ensure no online issues as everyone will have them available.

2) They release a number of patches for the characters which would drive up costs because, as we learned from MK, patches aint free, would drive up testing costs, and would likely introduce online compatability issues.

3) They release them for free (which makes me lol- having spent time in the software industry, believe me, these characters would never have ever been authorised if that was the only option).

So my problem is not an argument like yours, but an argument like THAT- it's removed from the reality of the situation, and I don't think people can be blamed for pointing that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I respect your opinion and your reason for doing so, and I have no argument for your position: I agree that what Capcom did was low with the multiplayer and they've damaged my already previously shaky trust with them. I'm glad to hear (at least some of the) gems are free as I wouldn't pay for them. I have no doubt that this sudden show of altruism on Capcom's part has been because of the negative backlash in forums like this all over the world.

However there is a world of difference between this post and some of the arguments made earlier in this thread. I'm no Capcom fanboy: but it's a forum, and bad arguments will inevitabely be called on, it's kinda their function :)

I have yet to hear a solution to the problem that Capcom faced with the characters on the disc.

1) People complained when Capcom released a disc with 10 extra characters on it.

2) Capcom have stated 10 characters is too much for a patch.

3) Capcom obvioiusly had budget for more than 10 characters.

So, as far as I can see (and, being brutally honest, no one on the "other side" of this argument has offered a helpful solution to the problem, so I'm going with what I can think) Capcom have 2 options:

1) They authorise the budget early and get the characters on the disc, which means they can be released simultaneously with a small patch which will reduce dev costs and also ensure no online issues as everyone will have them available.

2) They release a number of patches for the characters which would drive up costs because, as we learned from MK, patches aint free, would drive up testing costs, and would likely introduce online compatability issues.

3) They release them for free (which makes me lol- having spent time in the software industry, believe me, these characters would never have ever been authorised if that was the only option).

So my problem is not an argument like yours, but an argument like THAT- it's removed from the reality of the situation, and I don't think people can be blamed for pointing that out.

A fair point Doom, and well made - I agree with you. My biggest issue with the DLC characters is the fact that Capcom had the time to put them on the disc, but not the couch co-op ;)

Most of the people arguing against Kiki have an issue with his viewpoint, which is fine, and to be expected on a message board. Others telling him to STFU, or stop crying, or saying that he's childish, stupid, etc. is hardly a great way to discuss something though.

A fair point Doom, and well made - I agree with you. My biggest issue with the DLC characters is the fact that Capcom had the time to put them on the disc, but not the couch co-op ;)

Most of the people arguing against Kiki have an issue with his viewpoint, which is fine, and to be expected on a message board. Others telling him to STFU, or stop crying, or saying that he's childish, stupid, etc. is hardly a great way to discuss something though.

Yup and I agree which is why I asked for people to keep it friendly.

I've banned people in the past for it and will probably have to do so again (but I always try to give a chance first).

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

If Capcom had been up-front about it before release, people would likely be less pissed off.

"We want to try a new pricing structure for SFxT. The disc will have all versions of the game, but by default you will only be purchasing the basic version at a budget price - much like with Microsoft Office, etc. You can then purchase a license for the premium version of the game for a small fee. Please bear with us during this experiment in game pricing."
    ^^^ sounds better than claiming that the characters are DLC when they're not. Also the fact that you're not allowed to pay for content you physically have until they've decided to release it.

Of course, the above potential statement would only work if the game had been released at a remotely budget price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Vyze wrote: »
    If Capcom had been up-front about it before release, people would likely be less pissed off.

"We want to try a new pricing structure for SFxT. The disc will have all versions of the game, but by default you will only be purchasing the basic version at a budget price - much like with Microsoft Office, etc. You can then purchase a license for the premium version of the game for a small fee. Please bear with us during this experiment in game pricing."
    ^^^ sounds better than claiming that the characters are DLC when they're not. Also the fact that you're not allowed to pay for content you physically have until they've decided to release it.

Of course, the above potential statement would only work if the game had been released at a remotely budget price.

It also relies on gamers being reasonable people as opposed to people that claim a game is faultly and has false advertising because they didn't like the ending.

Vyze wrote: »

You will also see no argument from me that Capcom's handling of the promotion of this game has been nothing short of dreadful, from the "no comeback" lie to the clearly too early announcement of gems to the clearly too late announcement about the online. This game was a huge opportunity on so many levels, and I think they've all but wasted it. When my gamer friends ask me how it's going they're amazed when I say anything positive about it- that's how this game is perceived.

Capcom need to engage the fanbase better, really, really do.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Whats the positives?

Azza wrote: »
    Whats the positives?

It's a good game. I like playing it.

I don't really need any more, but they're also unlocking some of the content for free off the disc and there's patches coming which will hopefully make some of the issues better.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

It's definitely a fun game and I hope it lasts long enough in Ireland to get my money's worth - it's just more than a little annoying to know I spent £40 and am only getting 3/4 of the disc that's in my system.

Damnit, I wanna play dress-up for free! I should've bought Soulcalibur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I have this since Friday but due to moving house STILL haven't played it :'(

Its been easily a month since I last held an arcade stick.... I'm still getting the shakes. Cold Turkey has been cruel.

Advertisement