Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just don't get.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Why people think that the middle of a recession is the perfect time to start having babies :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

ottostreet wrote: »
    Well, that backfired.

I'd have to disagree with ya on the car thing. Yes, cars are a tool. But they are a fundamental tool, and one we need to use every day. Why can't we use one that is genuinely nice, and a pleasure to drive?

It is your attitude that has terrible cars like Nissan Tiidas and Renault Meganes on the road. I'm not attacking you by the way, I just don't agree that something we use, and is important to us every day can be viewed in such a black and white way!

Oh, I've not a problem with the cars being nice (and what's wrong with Nissan Micras and Renault Meganes? I like both of them!), but who the hell needs a souped-up car that could (!) go at 200km/h? You couldn't find a long enough strip of road in decent condition to drive at that speed anywhere on this island, and that is if it was even legal.

See, I love cooking and I've got a nice cooker at home, a 5-ring gas hob and a decent fan-assisted oven. And I use them to full potential several days a week.
    A lot of people buy cars that would be like a 10-hob ring, 5 ovens and 2 separate grills in comparison. To drive to the shops and drop the kids of at school.
    Pointless, useless, needlessly expensive and over the top.

Why people think that the middle of a recession is the perfect time to start having babies :confused:

Because by the time the kids will demand play stations, brand-name clothes and 3 puppy dogs for christmas, the recession will most likely be over?

Just a wild guess. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Shenshen wrote: »
    Oh, I've not a problem with the cars being nice (and what's wrong with Nissan Micras and Renault Meganes? I like both of them!), but who the hell needs a souped-up car that could (!) go at 200km/h? You couldn't find a long enough strip of road in decent condition to drive at that speed anywhere on this island, and that is if it was even legal.

Top speed is irrelevant, it's about acceleration, braking, handling and feeling the road. You obviously don't enjoy driving

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Top speed is irrelevant, it's about acceleration, braking, handling and feeling the road. You obviously don't enjoy driving

Mostly, I'm terrfied of it due to the way other people drive.

Which, incidentally, is another thing I don't get at all.

• Advertisement

Because by the time the kids will demand play stations, brand-name clothes and 3 puppy dogs for christmas, the recession will most likely be over?

Just a wild guess. ;)

you might be onto something there
    The cynic in me thought that if a woman was on maternity leave for a year or two they could ride out the recession and lay offs !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Doneg Al

18. I dont get The grammar gestapo. You see some people on here pouring their very soul onto boards, looking for technical advice, or personal advice. And usually 9 times out of 10 the first reply is to do with a spelling mistake or bad grammar.

Bigballs4U says:
    "Huge problem here guys i just started the countdown on a doomsday machine totally by accident So the world is going to end if I cant figure out the password which is an 8 letter word that starts with p and ends with d! Anybody got ideas? Please respond fast!"

Grammar Gestapo Guy A replies:
    "God can you type that in a bigger font? Im finding it hard to read."

Grammar Gestapu Guy B replies:
    "Thats at least 40 unpunctuated words there, I think the OP needs to go to school."

you might be onto something there
    The cynic in me thought that if a woman was on maternity leave for a year or two they could ride out the recession and lay offs !!

I need to work on my inner cynicism, that hadn't even occured to me. Good point, though, and more likely my suggestions. I don't think many people will think as far as I did there ;)

Doneg Al wrote: »
    18. I dont get The grammar gestapo. You see some people on here pouring their very soul onto boards, looking for technical advice, or personal advice. And usually 9 times out of 10 the first reply is to do with a spelling mistake or bad grammar.

Bigballs4U says:
    "Huge problem here guys i just started the countdown on a doomsday machine totally by accident So the world is going to end if I cant figure out the password which is an 8 letter word that starts with p and ends with d! Anybody got ideas? Please respond fast!"

Grammar Gestapo Guy A replies:
    "God can you type that in a bigger font? Im finding it hard to read."

Grammar Gestapu Guy B replies:
    "Thats at least 40 unpunctuated words there, I think the OP needs to go to school."

They just point out your mistakes bacause they cannot think of anything intelligent to say themselves.. Feel sorry for them if anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

See, I love cooking and I've got a nice cooker at home, a 5-ring gas hob and a decent fan-assisted oven. And I use them to full potential several days a week.
    A lot of people buy cars that would be like a 10-hob ring, 5 ovens and 2 separate grills in comparison. To drive to the shops and drop the kids of at school.
    Pointless, useless, needlessly expensive and over the top.

I don't we'll agree on motoring at all! I had to drive a Ford Ka & a Renault Megane for the last two weeks, I usually drive a 'souped-up' car (which isn't actually souped up at all, it came as standard with 197bhp). I felt less safe in the two slow cars than the quick one, simply because I don't have the option of going any quicker when I wanted to. Together with the lack of feel, spongy brakes, ****e levels of grip, and overall feeling of 'floating' on the road, I'd take the 'souped-up' car every day!

• Advertisement

I don't we'll agree on motoring at all! I had to drive a Ford Ka & a Renault Megane for the last two weeks, I usually drive a 'souped-up' car (which isn't actually souped up at all, it came as standard with 197bhp). I felt less safe in the two slow cars than the quick one, simply because I don't have the option of going any quicker when I wanted to. Together with the lack of feel, spongy brakes, ****e levels of grip, and overall feeling of 'floating' on the road, I'd take the 'souped-up' car every day!

Why would you need the option to go quicker to feel safer??? :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I don't like "souped-up" cars in the sense of having a gigantic spoiler, or ridiculously large exhausts to make as much noise as possible. I can understand improving how it drives, trying to tweak an engine to maybe make it faster, but putting stuff on it to make it look gawdy is just daft.

Why would you need the option to go quicker to feel safer??? :confused:

I don't need to go quicker normally. But say I'm doing an overtake, and arsehole I'm overtaking speeds up (as happens frequently), I need to make sure I can get past them!

I don't need to go quicker normally. But say I'm doing an overtake, and arsehole I'm overtaking speeds up (as happens frequently), I need to make sure I can get past them!

See, I would just fall back and abort the overtaking altogether. If he speeds up, there's no need for me to overtake any more, is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Jedward

See, I would just fall back and abort the overtaking altogether. If he speeds up, there's no need for me to overtake any more, is there?

Yeahhhhh...we definitely don't view driving the same way!

Yeahhhhh...we definitely don't view driving the same way!

My husband is the same, mind... he HAS to overtake that Micra, and then run straight across two lanes to get his exit from the dual carriageway.
    It's one of the reasons I insist on using public transport rather than being in the car with him.

Hunting instinct taking over, I always suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

People (usually women, in fact, usually my missus) that watch sad/upsetting programmes on the tele, only to come back crying and upset stating 'I saw this really sad thing'

If you knew it was going to be sad and upsetting, why da fook did you watch it in the first place????

IMO television is a form of entertainment. Crying, whinging, moaning and getting upset are not entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I don't get how there are so many Deli and general food assistants who can't see the stupidity in wearing gloves but failing to take them off to handle money in between making sandwiches/rolls/other food.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Chorizo

I dont get boards. Too many keyboard warriors. Athiests bragging, church bashing, headshop talking, political rubbish when half of you dont even know what you are on about. Thank whores and people who get all worked up over an opinion someone has. Its their own personal opinion and has nothing to do with you. Pointless posts to get your post count go up so people might actually listen to you. People thanking mods to make them look cool and be on the good side. Sheep/slaves.

Infact i think ill go deactivate my acc.

• Advertisement

Chorizo wrote: »
    I dont get boards. Too many keyboard warriors. Athiests bragging, church bashing, headshop talking, political rubbish when half of you dont even know what you are on about. Thank whores and people who get all worked up over an opinion someone has. Its their own personal opinion and has nothing to do with you. Pointless posts to get your post count go up so people might actually listen to you. People thanking mods to make them look cool and be on the good side. Sheep/slaves.

Infact i think ill go deactivate my acc.

Politically correct, religious nut conservative are we? :P Your own personal opinion has nothing to do with those people.

I hate people who stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

People (usually women, in fact, usually my missus) that watch sad/upsetting programmes on the tele, only to come back crying and upset stating 'I saw this really sad thing'

If you knew it was going to be sad and upsetting, why da fook did you watch it in the first place????

IMO television is a form of entertainment. Crying, whinging, moaning and getting upset are not entertaining.

I think the same thing, the missus will watch the like of the secret millionaire and be in bits after it and I say ”why do you bother watching it if you get sad?”

If I ask her to watch a horror film/program she will say “no, why would you want to be scared…” :eek:

I see being scared from the film/program as entertaining, same as laughing from a comedy or excited by a shootout, but not being so upset your eyes swell up, snot comes out of your face and it upsets you to think about it after the fact!

I just don’t get it…

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

You must love Eastenders.

ceekay74 wrote: »
    You must love Eastenders.

GGGRrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

Florida Salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Huh?
    Last time I checked, jewellery had nothing to do with reproductive organs. Some strange fetish you've got there...

Last time I checked jewellery was worn and designed for women....

kingtut wrote: »
    Last time I checked jewellery was worn and designed for women....

I take it you've never heard of cock-rings?

And you're right, it would be worn for women... but not exclusively by them ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

I don't get why people pronounce Dún Laoghaire as 'Doneleary'. I mean, it's so patently incorrect and inconsistent on two counts.

1. Dún is clearly never correctly pronounced as 'done', more like 'doon'.

2. Gráinne, Aoife, Ailbhe, Deirdre - how do you pronounce the last letter? It's not an 'e' pronunciation (unless you want to sound very silly).

And don't get me started on the people who pronounce Portlaoise as Portleesh. Jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

My husband is the same, mind... he HAS to overtake that Micra, and then run straight across two lanes to get his exit from the dual carriageway.
    It's one of the reasons I insist on using public transport rather than being in the car with him.

Hunting instinct taking over, I always suspect.

He'd pass out the Antelope to kill the water vole.

Evolution takes care of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pupito

The idea that Princess Diana was beautiful.

Advertisement