Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apps for iPad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Jilm

VLC media player app has been released.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

VLC has all codecs built-in. It comes with support for nearly all codec there is. And what is more it can even play back the file or media if it is damaged! Missing or broken pieces are no stop to VLC, it plays all the video and audio information that's still intact.

My favourite media player... wahey!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Just downloaded the VLC player app although have to say the CineXplayer has been playing everything I tried since the update last week.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

The TV3 app is now in the AppStore (at a price).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Free sat nav for iPad now available. NavFree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

culabula wrote: »
    The TV3 app is now in the AppStore (at a price).

Video doesn't work on iPad

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Video doesn't work on iPad[/QUOTE

On this TV3 app? (which unbelievably has only been released an an iPhone app).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Looking for an iPad app that allows notes to be added to PowerPoint presentations, ideally to individual slides. Editting the presentation would be a nice bonus but not a deal breaker. Similar to desktop versions that allow notes etc.

Any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

culabula wrote: »
    MikeySligo wrote: »
    Video doesn't work on iPad[/QUOTE

On this TV3 app? (which unbelievably has only been released an an iPhone app).

Yip, apps for ipad thread, a couple of people have posted reviews stating this now.
    I unfortunately wasted my money too.

Wouldn't it be just fricking sweet if rte and tv3 sorted proper ipad iplayer apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

alexlyons wrote: »
    Looking for an iPad app that allows notes to be added to PowerPoint presentations, ideally to individual slides. Editting the presentation would be a nice bonus but not a deal breaker. Similar to desktop versions that allow notes etc.

Any ideas??

Quick Office Connect, DocsToGo or OfficeHD all do what you need. I use Quick Office and it is superb. I make alot of presentations, word and excel files etc and edit, review or practice presentations using my iPad and it's brilliant. Just edit, save to device and hook it up to iTunes to get it back on your pc if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Quick Office Connect, DocsToGo or OfficeHD all do what you need. I use Quick Office and it is superb. I make alot of presentations, word and excel files etc and edit, review or practice presentations using my iPad and it's brilliant. Just edit, save to device and hook it up to iTunes to get it back on your pc if you need to.

Thanks for that.

Any chance of a screen capture of adding notes to a powerpoint slide in Quick Office? there's non on the app store page for it and I'd love to see it before I buy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

basquille wrote: »
    You need to download them in the US App Store - sign up for a US account with a new e-mail address / ID by clicking a free app in the US store (this way, you won't require a US credit card).

How do I log out of the Irish store to do this? When I click on this link, http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dragon-dictation/id341446764?mt=8, it just starts up the AppStore and tells me the request couldn't be completed. Sorry, AppStore newb here. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

adox wrote: »
    Been using the Plex app since it was released and am very happy with it. One thing I only found out tonight is the 4OD plugin works on the iPad. I didn't expect it to but it does.

How do you find the plug in?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Hi Quintron
    I just won an ipad. Can you tell me why you have kindle and ibooks on your ipad. Does it not come with an ereader or is it not any good? I haven't yet received my lucky win.

Hol.
    quintron wrote: »
    A few recommended apps based on my usage over the past couple of months:

Reading
    • Stanza
    • Kindle
    • iBooks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

kavanagh_h wrote: »
    Can you tell me why you have kindle and ibooks on your ipad. Does it not come with an ereader or is it not any good?

Both Kindle and iBooks are free in the Apple AppStore. The difference is in the range of titles available on each (Kindle has more), the formats they use and the interface. You can try both out and see which you prefer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Can anyone recommend a good poker app for the iPad?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I've got WSOP for the iPhone and it's pretty decent. The iPad version looks very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

adox wrote: »
    Been using the Plex app since it was released and am very happy with it. One thing I only found out tonight is the 4OD plugin works on the iPad. I didn't expect it to but it does.

is it necessary to have a mac for plex or is that just for streaming from? Would consider getting it just for 4od

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

You need the Plex Media Server running on your Mac. That does all the legwork, and streams the video to your iPad. Can highly recommend it though, it's probably the best home cinema solution around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

You need the Plex Media Server running on your Mac. That does all the legwork, and streams the video to your iPad. Can highly recommend it though, it's probably the best home cinema solution around.

thanks, shame they don't do a pc version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

Whats the best text to speech app for the ipad? or is the inbuilt one the best there is? Can it be used to read every book or just certain books? I'd like to use it as a study tool where I can listen to my textbook when I'm travelling to work, would it be suitable for that or does it sound too much like a robot speaking and therefore hard to take in?

Also whats the best dictation app? The dragon dictation app only seems to be able to cope with 3 paragraphs at a time before it stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Whats the best text to speech app for the ipad? or is the inbuilt one the best there is? Can it be used to read every book or just certain books? I'd like to use it as a study tool where I can listen to my textbook when I'm travelling to work, would it be suitable for that or does it sound too much like a robot speaking and therefore hard to take in?

Also whats the best dictation app? The dragon dictation app only seems to be able to cope with 3 paragraphs at a time before it stops.

The iPad has built in text to speech??:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

The iPad has built in text to speech??:)

sure does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5kLiRxuuq0

Wow that is just fantastic!:)
    It seems to work with books in iBooks but not PDFs. It doesn't work in kindle either as far as I can see. Still fantastic though. With the voice at the right speed it doesn't sound too roboty at all. Thanks Gonedrinking:)

Gonedrinking's question still stands :

Two good art apps are reduced today in the app store. Sketchbook Pro is very good.it's now down to 2.99.I have it & it's excellent.

Inspire Pro is reduced for today from $7.99 to $0.99 , that's 79c for us. I haven't had time to give it a good try yet but it has 47 5 star reviews in the US app store & I have seen very good reviews elsewhere too.

If you like to sketch,draw or paint you'd like either of these.

Splashtop is 79c now. It's a remote desktop app..a vnc app. It says you can watch flash videos and play flash games on your pc via the iPad as long as you have a wifi connection. It gets great reviews.

Do you have to be using the same wifi connection as your pc when using this app? Could you leave your pc on and leave the house & then hook up to another wifi connection & still be connected to your pc via this app?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Just picked up "Cut The Rope" game from Chillingo (whos games seem to be all top notch so far) and its brillant. If you like physics based puzzle games (think Angry Birds) you will like this!

It was about 3 bucks I think but its HUGE as it has about 125 levels with more to come. Great puzzles and easy to get 1 star but some of them are fiendish to get 3.

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

btw, I got a Google app today (seemed very official) and it has a voice-to-text system which allowed me to tell it what to look for. You have to activate it in the settings area but it was pretty simple tbh.

DeV.

• Advertisement

Splashtop is 79c now. It's a remote desktop app..a vnc app. It says you can watch flash videos and play flash games on your pc via the iPad as long as you have a wifi connection. It gets great reviews.

Do you have to be using the same wifi connection as your pc when using this app? Could you leave your pc on and leave the house & then hook up to another wifi connection & still be connected to your pc via this app?

I tried this app out today & it's fantastic! Not at all jittery or bothersome. I watched 2.5 hours of tv via it as our sky decided to go down today. Couldn't rate it highly enough.

Also it's excellent as a remote control app. I usually use air mouse when I have my pc connected to the tv but this is much much better. You can edit documents, watch megavideo, rte player...everything. Highly recommended.

Advertisement