Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of Transposers/Relays upgraded to DTT?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

So the first analogue transmitters have been shut down.

TG4 disappeared from Monaghan 3 months ago. I made a few half-hearted attempts to find out why, but got nowhere. I didn't exactly miss the service, or know anyone that does, but was curious as to whether it was an equipment failure or maybe to make way for testing 4G mobile stuff, as it was on ch. 64. But maybe we're a bit close to the border for that kind of thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Cush wrote: »
    2 analogue channels continue to broadcast from those transmitters.
    Peter Rhea wrote: »
    TG4 disappeared from Monaghan 3 months ago. I made a few half-hearted attempts to find out why, but got nowhere. I didn't exactly miss the service, or know anyone that does, but was curious as to whether it was an equipment failure or maybe to make way for testing 4G mobile stuff, as it was on ch. 64. But maybe we're a bit close to the border for that kind of thing.

Yes, but it is the first time that an analogue transmitter has been officially decommissioned as part of the shut down. The Monaghan one may have been an untimely fault that no-one noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Yes, but it is the first time that an analogue transmitter has been officially decommissioned as part of the shut down. The Monaghan one may have been an untimely fault that no-one noticed.

Not decommisioned yet, just 1 of the 3 analogue channels converted to DTT.

I guess you'd call it ASO Stage 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 No Freeview From Limavady

Seen Web link on Highland Radio News Motion
    http://www.highlandradio.com/2012/09/26/inishowen-saorview-signal-problems-aired-in-the-dail/

Same issue applies here in Speenogue Burt At moment with Digital Signal Coming from Limavady Transmitter cannot get Signal at all.

Have sent emails to [email]northernireland@digitaluk.co.ukrussell.keene@digitaluk.co.uk[/email]

I have been in contact with all Media Organisations UTV.BBC,RTE about this same issue as this is the broadcasters area and have a vested interested that we get a good picture after digital switchover from both sides of the border under the Good Friday Agreement.

Would you be able to find out who runs and operates TV mast at Limvady Co. Derry and weathers assurances can be got that residents who live in Border Areas I.E. Burt Co.Donegal who have always got a picture from this tranmitter will still remain get picture from Limvady after switchover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

The UK transmitter operators don't have any obligation to provide coverage in ROI & you should stop replicating your post in other threads.

• Advertisement

Ronnie Raygun escuse me i am only looking for an answer to my question are you judge and jury?

Excuse me ronnie uk transmitter operators in fact do have an obligation cross-border agreement was signed north/south,think you need to check your facts out before posting on here!

just because i live on the border does not mean tv broadcasts stop at the border,tranmissions singals do cross borders overspill dont you know

Switchover at Limavady starts a week from now (Oct. 10). Try a manual tune on channel 50 for the BBC channels.

The cross border agreements you speak of are a one-way thing that lets RTE/TG4 into the north. The BBC & UTV don't give a crap about southern terrestrial coverage: as you say yourself, it's just overspill from their own service area.

Always have received TV siginal from Limavady but cannot get Freeview and have built in freeview TV

Try again for Freeview in a week, the existing service is very low powered in comparison to after switchover. It's not long to wait & pretty stupid to be kicking up a fuss at this stage.

Thank you for the advice Ronnie,sorry only on here looking for advice as not that much into this DSO.will let you know how we get on after 10/10/12. Thanks Ronnie

• Advertisement

Excuse me ronnie uk transmitter operators in fact do have an obligation cross-border agreement was signed north/south,think you need to check your facts out before posting on here!

just because i live on the border does not mean tv broadcasts stop at the border,tranmissions singals do cross borders overspill dont you know

Ronnie is correct, they have no obligation to provide a signal into the Republic of Ireland. Lots of discussion on the MoU signed by the 2 governments almost 3 years ago here in the forum. As per the agreement RTÉ/TG4 have decided to transmit their channels from 3 transmitters in NI but the BBC have no plans to do likewise south of the border.

The overspill reception you receive at the moment has nothing to do with the agreement signed by the governments and happens because of the transmittters proximity to the border and you happen to be within the overspill coverage area. If they decided to restrict the signal in your direction there is nothing you can do about it.
    Always have received TV siginal from Limavady but cannot get Freeview and have built in freeview TV

The Freeview transmitter is on low power at the moment, as Ronnie says above do a retune on the TV after 6am on Wed 10th Oct when analogue BBC2 gets switched off the the BBC digital mux (channels) go full power. This map indicates you will be within overspill Freeview coverage when it goes full power - http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=IC711296.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭novice

tvman2 wrote: »
    There are no DTT Tx panels directed North at the moment. RTENL will have to install additional ones or use the analogue ones after switchover. See attached picture

Anyone know if this has changed yet?
    In Howth and can pick up Freeview from Divis almost perfectly for 4 of 6 MUXs, but can't pick up Saorview from SV, even if I rotate antenna to V polarization and point straight at CC (14 degrees west of Divis for me.)
    Saorview power must be << analog power?

novice wrote: »
    In Howth and can pick up Freeview from Divis almost perfectly for 4 of 6 MUXs, but can't pick up Saorview from SV, even if I rotate antenna to V polarization and point straight at CC (14 degrees west of Divis for me.)

On restricted power until Oct 24th, recent pictures here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81022070

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Should you not be using Three Rock?

Should you not be using Three Rock?

Some parts of Howth and N Co Dublin are covered by Clermont Carn

2zh33f4.jpg

jq3hgy.jpg

This with the aerial you use for Divis? What does analogue from CC look like from it?

Do you know if it's wideband or grouped? The Divis (group A) & CC (group C/D) channel groups are opposite ends of the UHF tv band.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

This with the aerial you use for Divis? What does analogue from CC look like from it?

Do you know if it's wideband or grouped? The Divis (group A) & CC (group C/D) channel groups are opposite ends of the UHF tv band.

Freeview from Divis currently requires a wideband aerial Peter, but from October 24th a group A should suffice.

Currently I have a slightly ghosty analogue picture from Divis, but Freeview is OK. I have no doubt it'll be fine once the power increases. My current aerial for Divis is a wideband one.

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Freeview from Divis currently requires a wideband aerial Peter, but from October 24th a group A should suffice.

I know that. The issue in this instance is the rx aerial being used, not what is being broadcast by the transmitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭novice

This with the aerial you use for Divis?
    What does analogue from CC look like from it?
    Do you know if it's wideband or grouped?
    The Divis (group A) & CC (group C/D) channel groups are opposite ends of the UHF tv band.

Full wideband, with masthead amp. CC analogue is fine, even with aerial pointing to Divis and H polarisation.
    I'm believe when CC drops analogue and moves digital to 52 - and ups power considerably - that I should be fine. Fingers crossed until 24th.
    Maybe I'll have to get a separate grouped for CC because of the diffent polarisation, but I'm surprised it works so well for analogue.

Analogue TG4 (Ch. 50) switching off at Moville at some point today before the BBC A mux launches at Limavady tomorrow morning

http://createsend.com/t/r-14B0241507191653

• Advertisement

Analogue TG4 (Ch. 50) switching off at Moville at some point today before the BBC A mux launches at Limavady tomorrow morning

http://createsend.com/t/r-14B0241507191653

Was TG4 switched off at Moville as planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 photosteve

I'm living in bettystown and using just an aerial on the roof and a saorview tv I retuned last night and got a ton of bbc channels nice and clear. All I'm missing now is itv and ch4, does anyone know if they'll be broadcast from the same transmitter at any stage as I'd rather not install a satellite dish for just two channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

photosteve wrote: »
    I'm living in bettystown and using just an aerial on the roof and a saorview tv I retuned last night and got a ton of bbc channels nice and clear. All I'm missing now is itv and ch4, does anyone know if they'll be broadcast from the same transmitter at any stage as I'd rather not install a satellite dish for just two channels.
    You're on the wrong thread for that mate. See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056240023&page=62

Crap sorry, had two threads open and posted in the wrong one :)

Crap sorry, had two threads open and posted in the wrong one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 geriatrix

Was TG4 switched off at Moville as planned?

Yes, it's gone.

It would be gone from most places now whether they'd switched it off or not: it would be no match for Limavady BBC A. The question was if they switched it off before Limavady came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 geriatrix

It would be gone from most places now whether they'd switched it off or not: it would be no match for Limavady BBC A. The question was if they switched it off before Limavady came on.

My mistake. I read the question without reading the link which shows the planned date was 9th Oct. I cannot recall whether it was switched off before the morning of 10th.

Advertisement