Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of Transposers/Relays upgraded to DTT?

Options
  • 21-07-2010 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

I was enquiring to RTE/RTENL about when the Castlebar relay would be upgraded to DTT and got the following response from RTÉ Network Support:
    DTT transmission equipment is currently being installed at a number of relay sites around the country, including our Castlebar transposer. Test transmissions will commence when these installations are complete and, all going well, we would expect some DTT activity to commence over the next few weeks or so. You should note that these test transmissions are liable to frequent interruptions, power reductions, etc. and therefore they should not be considered a proper service until after the service is launched on 31st October 2010.

Regards,

RTÉ Network Support

Thought it might be an idea to keep a list of these (due 31/10/2010) in one place and posters in different areas of the country could then post if and when DTT begins from these relays. Of course some in the list (main Tx's plus some relays) are already active. Mod request: maybe this could be a sticky?

Appendix I
    1 Mullaghanish Co. Cork
    2 Truskmore Co. Sligo
    3 Clermont Carn Co. Louth
    4 Three Rock Co. Dublin
    5 Mount Leinster Co. Carlow
    6 Cairn Hill Co. Longford
    7 Kippure Co. Wicklow
    8 Maghera Co. Clare
    9 Woodcock Hill Co. Limerick
    10 Spur Hill Co. Cork
    11 Dungarvan Co. Waterford
    12 Holywell Hill Co. Donegal
    13 Greystones Co. Wicklow
    14 Castlebar Co. Mayo
    15 Forth Mountain Co. Wexford
    16 Arklow Co. Wicklow
    17 Gorey Co. Wexford
    18 Suir Valley Co. Waterford
    19 Waterford
    20 Tonabrocky Co. Galway
    21 Collins Barracks Cork City
    22 Crosshaven Co. Cork
    23 Mitchelstown Co. Cork
    24 Knockmoyle Co. Kerry
    25 Drogheda Co. Louth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

I will check on a daily basis . (tv only has mpeg2 but should get some signal)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Since I posted that Appendix in mid May the number of sites expected to be available for the technical launch by the end of Oct is 28 covering 94.5% of the population according to RTÉ's Conor Hayes in his submission to the Joint Committee on Communications last week. The list of sites was not included in the submission.

Full launch date is at the Minister's direction but could be the second quarter of 2011 i.e. 97.2% of the population from 49 sites.
    I will set out RTE Network Limited’s current predictions for population coverage of the first free-to-air national public service multiplex, which will be operational from October 2010. The company predicts that by that month, the system will have been installed on 28 sites nationally. We reckon we will have approximately 94.5% population coverage. Members should bear in mind that our statutory remit is to provide for 90% coverage. We would exceed that from the outset. Our level of DTT coverage at that stage would exceed TV3’s current level of analogue coverage, which is 85%. By the second quarter of 2011, we predict we will cover 97.2% of the population from 49 sites, which would be approximately the same as TG4’s current level of analogue coverage.

We will continue to install more sites from the fourth quarter of 2011 to the third quarter of 2012. As these sites will interact with each other, the overall level of population coverage will not materially alter. By the fourth quarter of 2012, we estimate we will reach the statutory requirement to have approximately replicated our current level of analogue coverage, which is 98% of the population. The equivalent population coverage for the second national DTT public service multiplex will be achieved by the third quarter of 2013, and possibly earlier. The delay in that regard can be attributed to the fact that one cannot achieve that until after the analogue switch-off. In addition, there are power restrictions in how the South of Ireland interfaces with the North of Ireland and with the UK, in terms of spectrum and planning. All of these things have to be co-ordinated.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=MAJ20100714.XML&Ex=All&Page=1
    Mr. Conor Hayes: October 2010 is the switch-on from a technical basis. The date for the public national launch must be decided by the Minister but we recommend the second quarter of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

"...how the South of Ireland interfaces with the North of Ireland and with the UK, in terms of spectrum and planning. All of these things have to be co-ordinated."

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=MAJ20100714.XML&Ex=All&Page=1

They're certainly off to a good start with ML/Preseli. :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Fron Conor Hayes RTE
    In addition, there are power restrictions in how the South of Ireland interfaces with the North of Ireland and with the UK, in terms of spectrum and planning. All of these things have to be co-ordinated.

What is he talking about. The South of Ireland (Cork - Kerry) do not have much interface with The North of Ireland (Donegal - Leitrim) that RTE cannot sort out themselves. On the other hand, there is some need for planning between Ireland and the UK (Northern Ireland - Wales) for spectrum planning, etc. Maybe even Mount Leinster and Preseli might be a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Anyone any idea if Clermont Carn DTT will be increased in power radiating northwards by end of October?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Not until early 2013 I think when NI ASO is completed. Power should go then from 50KW to 160 KW ERP.

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Not until early 2013 I think when NI ASO is completed. Power should go then from 50KW to 160 KW ERP.

Many thanks for that. At present I'm picking up the DTT signal from CC but I have a high gain 52 element Triax with masthead amplification. I guess there are quite a lot of homes in NI who are getting the analogue from CC fine but struggling to pick up the digital signals.

Should have added for total clarity that the restriction towards the north is meant to be removed at the same time as the power increase.

RTENL themselves also emailed me this re the Castlebar relay:
    Castlebar is included in the list of sites to be DTT enabled by 31st October. Work is ongoing on this site and test transmissions will commence in the coming weeks. I don’t have an exact date for this as yet. Test transmissions are subject to interruption and cannot be relied upon as a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

I was enquiring to RTE/RTENL about when the Castlebar relay would be upgraded to DTT and got the following response from RTÉ Network Support:

Thought it might be an idea to keep a list of these (due 31/10/2010) in one place and posters in different areas of the country could then post if and when DTT begins from these relays. Of course some in the list (main Tx's plus some relays) are already active. Mod request: maybe this could be a sticky?

Appendix I
    1 Mullaghanish Co. Cork
    2 Truskmore Co. Sligo
    4 Three Rock Co. Dublin
    7 Kippure Co. Wicklow
    8 Maghera Co. Clare
    10 Spur Hill Co. Cork
    14 Castlebar Co. Mayo
    16 Arklow Co. Wicklow
    17 Gorey Co. Wexford
    19 Waterford
    20 Tonabrocky Co. Galway
    22 Crosshaven Co. Cork
    23 Mitchelstown Co. Cork
    24 Knockmoyle Co. Kerry
    25 Drogheda Co. Louth

Is this really the list due end of Oct? I didn't realise Collins Barracks was included.... hope it is though as my aerial is designed for that relay even though I get a pretty good signal from Spur Hill despite wrong grouping, polarisation and direction!

• Advertisement

See The Cush's post (#3). Now meant to be 28. But no list of these as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭tvman2

Many thanks for that. At present I'm picking up the DTT signal from CC but I have a high gain 52 element Triax with masthead amplification. I guess there are quite a lot of homes in NI who are getting the analogue from CC fine but struggling to pick up the digital signals.

There are no DTT Tx panels directed North at the moment. RTENL will have to install additional ones or use the analogue ones after switchover. See attached picture

tvman2 wrote: »
    There are no DTT Tx panels directed North at the moment. RTENL will have to install additional ones or use the analogue ones after switchover. See attached picture

Many thanks for that. Notice no analogue panels facing NE yet signal picked up in parts of Scotland. Shows strength of analogue signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Mayo that list may have changed. I understand there may be a few additions and substractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

is there any plans to update the old vhf relay in monaghan to DTT at present most of co.monaghan can get CC my neighbour can get DTT from CC but i cant signal is slighly weaker on my side of road but analogue is grand

deaglan169 wrote: »
    is there any plans to update the old vhf relay in monaghan to DTT at present most of co.monaghan can get CC my neighbour can get DTT from CC but i cant signal is slighly weaker on my side of road but analogue is grand

The only transmitter details we have at the moment is the list of 25 sites announced by the Minister last May which is posted in previous posts.

DTT from Castlebar now available on UHF channel 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

I checked this am (the radio wet dead for 4 mins before 10 am) so i thought they may be doing something.

all fine here full signal. (still only have a mpeg2 tv so no picture)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The list of sites due in 2010 was given to Liz McManus in the Dáil and posted here by the Cush some time back. About 8 more to do I reckon.

1 MullaghanishCo. Cork
    2 TruskmoreCo. Sligo
    3 Clermont CarnCo. Louth
    4 Three RockCo. Dublin
    5 Mount LeinsterCo. Carlow
    6 Cairn HillCo. Longford
    7 KippureCo. Wicklow
    8 MagheraCo. Clare
    9 Woodcock HillCo. Limerick
    10 Spur HillCo. Cork
    11 DungarvanCo. Waterford
    12 Holywell HillCo. Donegal
    13 GreystonesCo. Wicklow
    14 CastlebarCo. Mayo
    15 Forth MountainCo. Wexford
    16 ArklowCo. Wicklow
    17 GoreyCo. Wexford

18 Suir ValleyCo. Waterford
    19 Waterford Co. Waterford
    20 TonabrockyCo. Galway
    21 Collins BarracksCork City
    22 CrosshavenCo. Cork
    23 MitchelstownCo. Cork
    24 KnockmoyleCo. Kerry
    25 DroghedaCo. Louth

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The list of sites due in 2010 was given to Liz McManus in the Dáil and posted here by the Cush some time back. About 8 more to do I reckon.

A recent post indicated that the concrete base is down for the Arklow transmitter.

galtee boy posted in May that Mitchlestown was up and running.

Wasn't there a problem with the Waterford city transmitter last year interfering with cable TV in Waterford, I think it may also be up and running.

If those two sites are transmitting that would be six remaining from that list and a further three sites to be on-line by the Oct date as indicated by RTÉ in mid July.

• Advertisement

DTT live on Knockmoyle Ch52 posted by Apogee

We could be down to five sites remaining from that list of 25 plus three others to be upgraded by the Oct date as indicated by RTÉ in Jul.
    Mr. Conor Hayes: ... I will set out RTE Network Limited’s current predictions for population coverage of the first free-to-air national public service multiplex, which will be operational from October 2010. The company predicts that by that month, the system will have been installed on 28 sites nationally. We reckon we will have approximately 94.5% population coverage. Members should bear in mind that our statutory remit is to provide for 90% coverage. We would exceed that from the outset. Our level of DTT coverage at that stage would exceed TV3’s current level of analogue coverage, which is 85%. By the second quarter of 2011, we predict we will cover 97.2% of the population from 49 sites, which would be approximately the same as TG4’s current level of analogue coverage.

We will continue to install more sites from the fourth quarter of 2011 to the third quarter of 2012. As these sites will interact with each other, the overall level of population coverage will not materially alter. By the fourth quarter of 2012, we estimate we will reach the statutory requirement to have approximately replicated our current level of analogue coverage, which is 98% of the population. The equivalent population coverage for the second national DTT public service multiplex will be achieved by the third quarter of 2013, and possibly earlier. The delay in that regard can be attributed to the fact that one cannot achieve that until after the analogue switch-off. In addition, there are power restrictions in how the South of Ireland interfaces with the North of Ireland and with the UK, in terms of spectrum and planning. All of these things have to be co-ordinated.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate...&Ex=All&Page=1

28 sites by Oct 2010 - 94.5% population coverage
    1 Mullaghanish Co. Cork
    2 Truskmore Co. Sligo
    4 Three Rock Co. Dublin
    7 Kippure Co. Wicklow
    8 Maghera Co. Clare
    10 Spur Hill Co. Cork
    14 Castlebar Co. Mayo
    16 Arklow Co. Wicklow
    17 Gorey Co. Wexford

19 Waterford
    20 Tonabrocky Co. Galway
    22 Crosshaven Co. Cork
    23 Mitchelstown Co. Cork
    24 Knockmoyle Co. Kerry
    25 Drogheda Co. Louth
    26 ?
    27 ?
    28 ?

49 sites by Q2 2011 - 97.2% population coverage
    29 - 49 ?

51 sites by Q4 2012 - 98% population coverage
    50 - 51 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tlaavtech

The Cush wrote: »
    Wasn't there a problem with the Waterford city transmitter last year interfering with cable TV in Waterford, I think it may also be up and running.

Waterford City DTT is up and running on Ch.22. UPC customers had to re-tune their analogue RTE1.

I'll hazard the last 3 off the top of me head.

26 ? Kilduff?
    27 ? Arranmore?
    28 ? Navan?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

I notice Clifden Co. Galway isnt on that list, its 10 kw analogue relay, so I wonder a great swathe of Connemara wont be able to receive DTT.

Galway wrote: »
    I notice Clifden Co. Galway isnt on that list, its 10 kw analogue relay, so I wonder a great swathe of Connemara wont be able to receive DTT.

It was on the original 53 site list in 2008 so it could on the list yet. We don't officially know where the other 26 sites will be.

I speculated previously which of the 53 sites from the 2008 list might not make the present list.

The Minister said the following in May
    The exact areas to be covered in each county, is dependent on a number of factors including transmitter location, signal strength and topography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Anything down the Gaeltacht area ? Inis Mór / Meain / Oirr /Connemara.

I would have thought that would be among the sites to be upgraded early on. For TG4 alone!

Casla will cover the Aran Islands, that is safely on the 2011 list and I will bet on that. Clifden will also be done.

The current RTE plan is for 51 transmitters and the original 'pre' switchoff plan was 53 transmitters.

I reckon Kinsale and Dooncarton(Iorras) are for the chop from the original list ..for the same reason as The Cush (pop coverage) and because the terrain intended to be covered from those two is suitable for satellite and because they are at the extreme end of the network.

You could drop Achill rather than Dooncarton (Iorras) if Westport and Dooncarton(Iorras) had slightly higher masts and a bit more power. I predict one of the transmitters to be dropped if satellite is chosen for infill will be in West Mayo

I also predict that one of the last two (delayed until 2012) is because a new mast is going in to either Dooncarton(Iorras) Westport or Achill if not indeed two of the three.

Westport is safe, it is located in a hole north of a mountain and cannot be serviced from a satellite.

What RTENL have not admitted is that neither the original list of 53 transmitters nor the chopped list of 51 willl deal with the problems in the like of Leenane, namely satellite shadow and transmitter shadow ( both)

There is a shaggin mountain in the way lads :(

STB wrote: »

I would have thought that would be among the sites to be upgraded early on. For TG4 alone!

Remember this article from the Irish Independent at the end of June - West the loser as RTE cuts digital TV coverage
    This will result in areas of the west coast being unable to avail of the new service.

The plans will have huge implications for TG4 in particular. The station draws its core audience from Irish-speaking communities in the locations certain to be worst-hit.

While RTE has argued that the terrestrial channels will be available via satellite, this would involve additional cost for households subscribing to a satellite service, including the erection of a satellite dish.

Management at TG4 declined to comment, but are understood to be of the view that RTE must fulfil its remit under the Broadcasting Act to provide universal, free-to-air digital TV reception.
    Discussed here

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

STB wrote: »

Arranmore's a Gaeltacht... in law anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Can anyone help everyone else?

I'm trying to compile reference information for DTT Transmitter sites here http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/Irish-DTT-Sites

Any information via PM (here or techtir), post on this thread or comment techtir etc. appreciated.

P.S. suggestions on improving it also accepted.

Note that Techtir exists as an Engineering / Technical resource / Magazine. It's not in competition with Boards (largely a chat / forum with ephemeral mutual help. that you can't search for DTT, RTE or other three letter abbreviations, you can on Techtir which is largely going to be articles).
    Techtire has no adverts and is non-profit.

Advertisement