Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Liking it quite a bit. There's some serious double crossing about to go down and Nidge is turning into a paranoid Coke Head, can't belive he's still thinking with his flute. I reckon theres a nasty split coming down the road. Darrens shadow like apprentice may have a bigger role to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I'll fcuking clip the lot of ya if you don't knock the bickering on the head......:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Continuity errors?
    As with ‘tashe gate last year so obvious that there’s a hidden message:
    Nidge is trying to lead a Celtic Tiger life hence 05 car even thought he knows deep down the good times are over hence 09 car. He’s torn between the two: unnatural exuberance and excessive gloom. It reflects his unstable character.
    As for Fran’s left-hand/right-hand drive van this is obviously a reference to bringing in ‘gear’ from the continent for the ‘RA. Both Fran and his Van will have a role in that, possibly he’ll be stopped with a bunch of machine guns in the back by police in Belgium for drunkenly driving down the wrong side of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Happyman42 – you yourself are coming across as a stereotyped cliché at this stage. You have mentioned your published work and you use the industry term “crit” as a verb – dead giveaway.

Shock horror...writer or somebody interested in writing contributes to Television Forum! :eek:

...and that's my last comment on requests to reveal my likes or dislikes.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    I dont buy this "continuity errors" thing at all.

Is all deliberate - how far out of their way would they have to go to get 2 black Lexus jeeps (or 2 reg plates), 2 merc vans one rhd the other left? The facial hair controversy from late season's thread?

They are obviously doing it on purpose as a running gag and/or to get discussions about the show trending on social media.

That's probably true. They are a bit too blatant and i all honesty i missed some of them the first time around i was so engrossed in the show.

Fúck it ill say one thing the death scenes are pretty real looking. Git last week and Elmo's cousin and his bird this week. It brought the reality of it right into our living room.

I often hear of gangsters getting whacked on the news and i suppose we all take a cynical callous view of things. "Another one out of the way" etc. But no matter what the person has done i suppose two wrongs dont make a right and it just contributes to the never-ending poisonous cycle. Someone, somewhere is affected by it.

Tbh im mixed with Sheehan. I didnt rate his acting when he was talking to Elmo to be honest. In contrast to Laurence Kinlan who played Elmo he just doesnt seem to get into the emotion or at least doesnt seem convincing.

However when he carried out the hit it was quite frightening. Again i felt he was emotionless (but it was required this time) and for a second i even thought he would finish off the baby he was so intense.

Overall...Top marks. My god what a gem Stuart Carolan has penned for us and credit where due to RTE. Its a bold step and we do have an influential PC 'Think of the children' brigade in Ireland but RTE took it on regardless and its paying off. The irish people have shown that the want shows that push the boundaries and get peoples lips going and that we've come a long way (admittedly with still a bit to go)

I would hope Tom Vaughan Lawlor in particular gets extra recognition for his role when he finishes in this show.
    I've a feeling a few will be baying for Nidge's blood near the series end, but my belief is that he'll regret he didnt finish Darren off in the woods last series ;)

Darren is probably the central character as the show is trying to depict the cycle of how he went from an innocent gofer to gang leader which i think he will become. As i said im mixed with Sheehans casting as he looks at times as if he could burst out laughing but the character of Darren is indeed crucial to the show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sean is having an item about it now on Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Happyman42 wrote: »
    ...and that's my last comment

Ah, I got as far as this and became overjoyed, but sadly you didn't end it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Darren is probably the central character as the show is trying to depict the cycle of how he went from an innocent gofer to gang leader which i think he will become. As i said im mixed with Sheehans casting as he looks at times as if he could burst out laughing but the character of Darren is indeed crucial to the show.

If they're moving towards a Michael Corleone type conclusion I'd agree. The one who doesn't want the job gets the job.
    Nidge is doing a proper job of self destruction, won't last until the season finale at this rate.
    I have a feeling more senior RA heads from "up there" may be arriving soon as junior RA prick is not cut out for leadership things like walking in a straight line and staying sober for two hours straight.
    Changing number plates mid route is not unheard of in gangland. It may not be a continuity error.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Changing number plates mid route is not unheard of in gangland. It may not be a continuity error.

So maybe that's what's with the bite on the face too?

I can see it now, depending on which side of the street he walks on he could be an unmarked undercover clipper.......

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

So maybe that's what's with the bite on the face too?

I can see it now, depending on which side of the street he walks on he could be an unmarked undercover clipper.......

No, movable wounds must be a new development. Its that free edumacation - they're all too clever nowadays.
    Seriously, every show / film in history has had continuity gaffes. I just think the number plates might be deliberate. I've had cars parked up on the street I live in (south inner city) and watched guys flip the plates. Tell the cops and they don't care as no CCTV and no actual crime committed that can be proven.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Ah, I got as far as this and became overjoyed, but sadly you didn't end it there.

Grow up.
    If they're moving towards a Michael Corleone type conclusion I'd agree. The one who doesn't want the job gets the job.
    Nidge is doing a proper job of self destruction, won't last until the season finale at this rate.
    I have a feeling more senior RA heads from "up there" may be arriving soon as junior RA prick is not cut out for leadership things like walking in a straight line and staying sober for two hours straight.

Don't you think there is a serious deficit in the acting and the writing regarding Darren's character and motivation?
    If they where serious about a moral conflict here, wouldn't we have seen some semblance of it? He was presented with a number of oppurtunities to emphatise with the idea of getting out...in the discussion with Elmo and with his co-clipper. But we got nothing, with Elmo all he seemed to be doing was making the best choice for himself, there was very little conflict with his so called morals. The hit and how he went about it was farcical, he didn't hide himself despite the strong possibility that he would be seen. Maybe he wants to be caught as a way out, but again, that isn't clear in the writing and is rather something I am projecting onto very obscure intent on the writers part.

Joking aside, Changing number plates mid route could well have been a deliberate move as you suggest. Very plausible indeed.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Grow up.

Don't you think there is a serious deficit in the acting and the writing regarding Darren's character and motivation?
    If they where serious about a moral conflict here, wouldn't we have seen some semblance of it? He was presented with a number of oppurtunities to emphatise with the idea of getting out...in the discussion with Elmo and with his co-clipper. But we got nothing, with Elmo all he seemed to be doing was making the best choice for himself, there was very little conflict with his so called morals. The hit and how he went about it was farcical, he didn't hide himself despite the strong possibility that he would be seen. Maybe he wants to be caught as a way out, but again, that isn't clear in the writing and is rather something I am projecting onto very obscure intent on the writers part.

I'm not for a moment comparing Love/Hate to The Godfather. Darren as a character and an actor is seriously out of his depth. Its just the narrative arc seems to be leading to the downfall of Nidge and the rise of Darren.
    I can actually see it mirroring reality with them all dying in a hail of bullets, cutting to a 12 year old hoodie watching on with an Aiden Gillen like glint in his eye.

But they'd hardly take the risk in the middle of the road in Dublin would they? Especially when they are in a hurry to get up to the woods and bury Git before sunrise.

I'm not for a moment comparing Love/Hate to The Godfather. Darren as a character and an actor is seriously out of his depth. Its just the narrative arc seems to be leading to the downfall of Nidge and the rise of Darren.
    I can actually see it mirroring reality with them all dying in a hail of bullets, cutting to a 12 year old hoodie watching on with an Aiden Gillen like glint in his eye.

Im kinda thinking, flash forward 15 years down the line in 2027. Darren is in the pub and out of nowhere BOOM. A little scrote of a young lad gets retribution for being orphanised in 2012. The cycle begins again!

But they'd hardly take the risk in the middle of the road in Dublin would they? Especially when they are in a hurry to get up to the woods and bury Git before sunrise.

On Paddys Night with drunk driving roadblocks around the city where cops can record the reg of anything that passes, I'd make two minutes to pull into a side street. That would obscure the route for any later investigation.
    Would these halfwits think of that? I doubt it.

I nearly fell off the couch when the Ra boy looked out the window and said something like "Jaysus the bleedin branch"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

yeah.

not as much comedy gold as last week but there was some gems in this one. loved the way yer man nutted nidge then asked "are ya alright"

even the really dark "jaysus im not gonna do ya in the pub" by darren to elmo as the latter leapt off the stool. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The vitriol you are pouring my way, says more about you than me.
    A vested, professional interest? No, I just have an interest in television fashions and blind allegiance. It's interesting to see what people will ignore.

Ah I get it now. Criticism is a one-way affair. You get to dish it out, but anyone who questions you gets accused of 'vitriol' and 'attack'.

I remember reading from somebody regularly involved in bullying cases how he had never seen a bullying case that wasn't taken by bully. It's all making sense now.

Isn't it great that boards.ie has an 'ignore' button?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Seeing as no one seems to want to behave in a grown up fashion, I am now closing this thread for a period of reflection and review.

Any new threads in the meantime will be deleted and posters will be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Started watching series one as i' missed most of it last time round! It's actually a brilliant experience, now with 2 over and 3 on it's way! THe young Gleeson chap was some character!

brian_t wrote: »
    There is a thread on it a little further down the page.

That thread was locked due to misbehavior by one or two contributors. The final mod post says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Lets try again here. Anything dodgy and there will be trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

OP, the series currently being screened on air is the third series.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Lapin wrote: »
    OP, the series currently being screened on air is the third series.
    op was last year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Just finished series 1.
    When is the last series 3 episode broadcast? I want to catch up in time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Saw the promo for Sunday night earlier and it looks good, season is ticking along nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

Eathrin wrote: »
    Just finished series 1.
    When is the last series 3 episode broadcast? I want to catch up in time!

Episode 6 is on Sunday December 16th.

Series 3 DVD is available to buy the next day (Monday 17th)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

brian_t wrote: »
    Episode 6 is on Sunday December 16th.

Series 3 DVD is available to buy the next day (Monday 17th)

Ah that's alright, I have the DVDs so I'll catch up fairly quickly now.
    Fantastic so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Well I'm thoroughly enjoying series3 of love/hate
    I thought the second episode was so sad though at times
    Elmo broke my heart when he tried bargaining with Darren and then kn the final scene when he was sleeping rough you just know he has no lower to fall
    The violence was over the top Darren has truly sold his soul.
    I did not see point of nidge car crash unless its to show him starting to crumble maybe
    Tom Vaughan lawlor is some actor the difference in how he normally speaks and nidge is staggering. Also he never slips at all. His face is so fluid great to watch
    All in all love/hate makes me glad for my very very boring life
    Some people are stuck in a nightmare existence
    Roll on next Sunday night

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement