Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Q_ueeny

While it was not as good as the opening epsoide last week , I still found this week very good and cannot wait for next week already.

At the time I didnt find it hard to watch and even with the shooting scene I was glued to the TV but when I went to bed it had a really hard time getting to sleep over it.

Also I never ever notice all this nitpicking stuff like different reg's on Nidge's jeep last week and Elmo's bite on a different cheek this week , do I just not pay enough attention?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Just started watching this last week so I'm now in the position of having to watch season 1 & 2 as well..............mild OCD or whaaa? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about the mirror, the 'wound' was mobile throughout. In the mirror shot it was on his cheek directly under his eye and large, in the pub it was smaller and higher up and to the right of his eye. Good production values would have seen to it that this wouldn't happen.
    When I see 'Love/Hate on RTE One Love-in' in the thread title I will feel compelled to stop giving my opinion of a significant Irish production. That ok with you?

well - it should be pretty obvious to you by now that this is more of a fan thread than a critical discussion. It's pretty obvious to me that you don't rate the show - that's grand - I enjoy it myself, but i understand where you're coming from. What I don't understand tho, is why you feel the need to make the same single point over and over again - it's sh1t - when it's clear all you're doing is winding up the natives. Unless that's your intention like. I can appreciate that you're a bit sore at the way the RA were represented, but we've really moved past that now.

If all you're going to do is point out plot holes and continuity errors (which we all see and acknowledge, btw, we're not blind to them, we just chose to ignore them), then maybe start another thread?

tl/dr - you're entitled to keep posting how sh1te you think the show is, but why would you bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

tbh wrote: »
    well - it should be pretty obvious to you by now that this is more of a fan thread than a critical discussion. It's pretty obvious to me that you don't rate the show - that's grand - I enjoy it myself, but i understand where you're coming from. What I don't understand tho, is why you feel the need to make the same single point over and over again - it's sh1t - when it's clear all you're doing is winding up the natives. Unless that's your intention like. I can appreciate that you're a bit sore at the way the RA were represented, but we've really moved past that now.

If all you're going to do is point out plot holes and continuity errors (which we all see and acknowledge, btw, we're not blind to them, we just chose to ignore them), then maybe start another thread?

tl/dr - you're entitled to keep posting how sh1te you think the show is, but why would you bother?

Fair play, tbh. I watched it, was not sufficiently impressed to watch again, but don't feel the need to convert the followers. Don't understand why anyone would waste their efforts thusly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

tbh wrote: »

I suggest you open a fan page (correctly titled) out in After Hours. This is a television forum and a discussion on the merits (which I have appreciated) and failings of this series. A series that is being marketed as a significant and landmark production for the national broadcaster. I'm as entitled as you to give my opinion on it.
    Rather than deal with the issues raised I notice many are having a go at me, which speaks volumes in itself.
    There are a lot of good things in this but it is flawed, unfiltered fandom won't make anything better, and there is a growing sense that this series has relaxed comfortably into the arms of it's diehard fans and has consequently stopped breaking new ground, which is sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I suggest you open a fan page (correctly titled) out in After Hours. This is a television forum and a discussion on the merits (which I have appreciated) and failings of this series. A series that is being marketed as a significant and landmark production for the national broadcaster. I'm as entitled as you to give my opinion on it.
    Rather than deal with the issues raised I notice many are having a go at me, which speaks volumes in itself.
    There are a lot of good things in this but it is flawed, unfiltered fandom won't make anything better, and there is a growing sense that this series has relaxed comfortably into the arms of it's diehard fans and has consequently stopped breaking new ground, which is sad.

I agree with much of your post, but you make your point and move on - no sense in making the same argument over and over, especially when you know it's not being taken in.

mitosis wrote: »
    I agree with much of your post, but you make your point and move on - no sense in making the same argument over and over, especially when you know it's not being taken in.

I think you'll find the repetitive thing on the thread is the fandom.
    For the record I have pointed out the serious flaws in the characteriation and motivations of the characters in this episode.
    I have praised the performance of one of the actresses and I have commented on the moving wound and production values.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

For the record I have pointed out the serious flaws in the characteriation and motivations of the characters in this episode.
    I have praised the performance of one of the actresses and I have commented on the moving wound and production values.

It would be amusing to compare this with a Late late Show thread where every comment is negative about the show....

.....here you make a negative comment and you get shouted out of it.

I watched bits of it last night.

If you like the thrill of seeing a graphic act of violence, then its the show for you.

(And I dont buy this "lets praise RTE for being willing to tackle these issues"...the only issue they are tackling is showing people being killed.
    its long past time where this sort of television is completely the norm; TG4 is showing Breaking Bad which would have similar types of violence - just because its an RTE production I dont see what difference that makes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

i enjoy the show a lot despite the cliches and errors, and it's great to see a show about contemporary ireland even if it is an exaggerated version of a life most of us don't know anything about. they do get some details bang-on, i enjoyed the shot of the typical tabloid irish newspaper that had the story of the double shooting on the cover, looked just like The Sun or whichever one it was they were imitating.

However, I still didn't think that even with the pills, Nidge would have let Gits son punch him and headbutt him without taking offense. That headbutt would have left him in serious pain no matter what he took, and even if he didn't feel the pain he would have taken offense on a personal level imo. The way he just took it made him look like a mug.

I will say as well that they usually do a good job of making you want to see what happens next, for example it seems his accomplice in the hit has taken a shine to Darren, interesting to see where that could lead. Maybe they're gonna be like an Irish Bonnie n Clyde.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Happyman,
    Just for the sake of comparison could you give some examples of TV shows you do enjoy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

sligoface wrote: »
    i enjoy the show a lot despite the cliches and errors, and it's great to see a show about contemporary ireland even if it is an exaggerated version of a life most of us don't know anything about. they do get some details bang-on, i enjoyed the shot of the typical tabloid irish newspaper that had the story of the double shooting on the cover, looked just like The Sun or whichever one it was they were imitating.

However, I still didn't think that even with the pills, Nidge would have let Gits son punch him and headbutt him without taking offense. That headbutt would have left him in serious pain no matter what he took, and even if he didn't feel the pain he would have taken offense on a personal level imo. The way he just took it made him look like a mug.

I will say as well that they usually do a good job of making you want to see what happens next, for example it seems his accomplice in the hit has taken a shine to Darren, interesting to see where that could lead. Maybe they're gonna be like an Irish Bonnie n Clyde.

I'd say your one will turn into a bunny boiler, a bit like the kid he took in last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I see you're still avoiding the 'why bother' question. No-one is challenging your right to criticise. We still have free speech in Ireland. But really, why bother go to such efforts?

RainyDay wrote: »
    I see you're still avoiding the 'why bother' question. No-one is challenging your right to criticise. We still have free speech in Ireland. But really, why bother go to such efforts?

I'm interested in the subject? :rolleyes:

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Happyman,
    Just for the sake of comparison could you give some examples of TV shows you do enjoy?

What relevance would that have, the criticism stands on it's on terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

A vested, professional interest?

A vested, professional interest?

The vitriol you are pouring my way, says more about you than me.
    A vested, professional interest? No, I just have an interest in television fashions and blind allegiance. It's interesting to see what people will ignore.

I dont think it does tbh. Your entitled to criticise all you want, but you are not articulating your points very well and are dismissive when questioned. you think the programme is sh1te? Fair enough, you have made the point over and over. The reason I asked you to name afew shows you do like is to try and get an idea where you are coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I don't think I've waded into this mess of a thread in a long time, but I would also like to know what shows you do like?

I dont think it does tbh. Your entitled to criticise all you want, but you are not articulating your points very well and are dismissive when questioned. you think the programme is sh1te? Fair enough, you have made the point over and over. The reason I asked you to name afew shows you do like is to try and get an idea where you are coming from

I have no interest in giving you information to attack me personally. Where have I been dismissive of 'questions' on the criticisms I have raised? (I have been dismissive of the personal abuse for having the audacity to criticise.)
    Could you also point out where I said the show was '****e'?
    Are you au fait with what 'having a discussion' entails?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I have no interest in giving you information to attack me personally. Where have I been dismissive of 'questions' on the criticisms I have raised? (I have been dismissive of the personal abuse for having the audacity to criticise.)

Attack you personally? Oh please...

• Advertisement

Attack you personally? Oh please...

Why would 'what I like' have any relevance then? What you like has no relevance to the discussion either.

As they say to RA men all the time...'can we move on?'.

I havent attacked you . I asked a pretty straight forwrd question in order to have a discussion.

I havent attacked you . I asked a pretty straight forwrd question in order to have a discussion.

When I made my crits of this weeks episode I did so on it's own terms, I made no comparisons.
    As I said, what I like or admire has zero relevance and will only deflect the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I believe they are already writing season 4? I bet they will clip H in the first episode :p

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

It seems that some people are more focused on nitpicking than on enjoying the story. So focused that they miss the point entirely.

Oh i love it dont get me wrong. Ive been hooked since s1. I do wish though that they would eliminate the continuity errors to do the show its proper justice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Yea, you always know when you're about to be clipped! Cunt of thing!

:D

~One of the reasons i love this programme.

I live in Achill island and here i am talking about clipping people like it was the most natural thing in the world.

I'll be bagging coke before i know it. :p

PMSL

As for continuity errors, honestly we're being highly critical here. We should have a competition at the end of the show to pick them out. What's a few errors among friends. I have never spotted one. Im too busy enjoying it ;).

When I made my crits of this weeks episode I did so on it's own terms, I made no comparisons.
    As I said, what I like or admire has zero relevance and will only deflect the thread.

You have repeatedly hinted that you know a lot about how tv shows are written and produced and that you are a writer happy to take on board constructive criticism. Yet you fail to engage with other posters and get all defensive when asked to better explain yourself. You consistently attack the poster rather than the post.

I suggest you either put your cards on the table or take it to ranting and raving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Oh i love it dont get me wrong. Ive been hooked since s1. I do wish though that they would eliminate the continuity errors to do the show its proper justice

I dont buy this "continuity errors" thing at all.

Is all deliberate - how far out of their way would they have to go to get 2 black Lexus jeeps (or 2 reg plates), 2 merc vans one rhd the other left? The facial hair controversy from late season's thread?

They are obviously doing it on purpose as a running gag and/or to get discussions about the show trending on social media.

You have repeatedly hinted that you know a lot about how tv shows are written and produced and that you are a writer happy to take on board constructive criticism.
    Which has what to do with what I personally like?
    Yet you fail to engage with other posters and get all defensive when asked to better explain yourself. You consistently attack the poster rather than the post.

Where have I attacked a poster discussing the content of this show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Happyman42 – you yourself are coming across as a stereotyped cliché at this stage. You have mentioned your published work and you use the industry term “crit” as a verb – dead giveaway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement