Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bigVee

After a rescan I note there are two additional channels Test Service 1 & 2 on Saorsat at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dbcool

yes big vee saw them! could be tv 3 and 3e finally especially as the ulster final and the leinster ulster connacht finals are only on tv3!
    did you see what order they appear in ? makes me even more think its tv 3 and 3e!!!

dbcool wrote: »
    yes big vee saw them! could be tv 3 and 3e finally especially as the ulster final and the leinster ulster connacht finals are only on tv3!
    did you see what order they appear in ? makes me even more think its tv 3 and 3e!!!

After rescanning channels just added to end of list so I can't draw any conclusions. I hope they do turn out to be TV3 & 3e.

delete them and do a blind scan - they come in directly after rte 2!!

delete them and do a blind scan - they come in directly after rte 2!!

Delete and rescan on Spiderbox makes it RTE2, Test1, TG4, Test2, etc, which looks promising for TV3 & 3E.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

TV3 and 3e really should have been on Saorsat from the start but better late than never if it is them; time will tell I guess!

still test cards with 2rn on today! and not hd!

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

There must be somebody out there that knows if tv3 is coming on saorsat. soarsat seems to be one of the best kept secret in Ireland as it was never mentioned on any of the saorview ads.The only place any information is available is here on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Saorsat is mentioned on the saorview website (if you find a named location in the coverage checker with no coverage e.g. Coomhola Co. Cork) and on saorsat.ie (which redirects back to saorview.ie, but it displays a 'Saorview is not available where I live' box, click it and it takes you to http://www.saorview.ie/about-saorview/saorsat/ )

Life ain't always empty.

the test channels have gone! boooo

• Advertisement

the test channels have gone! boooo

Blank video carriers remain, with audio on one channel. Both channels indentify as Seirbhis Thrial. At the moment ID's don't pick up on a rescan so wise not to delete anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

jjf1974 wrote: »
    There must be somebody out there that knows if tv3 is coming on saorsat. soarsat seems to be one of the best kept secret in Ireland as it was never mentioned on any of the saorview ads.The only place any information is available is here on boards.ie.

and on www.saortv.info

Will be updated with more on Freeview, Freesat, Free European mainland satellite TV and PVRs when new hosting found.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭John896

By this time tomorrow my new 1.2m dish,should be fixed on 9 east for Saorsat.I am about 80% confident i should get a moderate signal on the 1.2m dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jpsr

John896 wrote: »
    By this time tomorrow my new 1.2m dish,should be fixed on 9 east for Saorsat.I am about 80% confident i should get a moderate signal on the 1.2m dish.

What make of dish is it,hope you get it.

1.2m Channel Master dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

1.2m Channel Master dish.

If it is a fibreglass dish then it may not work as well as a solid dish. Fibreglass dishes generally use a wire mesh type design, and the mesh size may be too large for the 20Ghz Saorsat signal. You may find a smaller solid dish may work just as good if not better.
    John from "swansea" said he received Saorsat with 90% quality on a 2.4M dish. As reported on digital spy

so Swansea should be OK

And were up and running,signal is not too bad.

One more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

One slight thing to point out.... the 'k' bracket usually goes at the bottom, but a nice looking setup, well done.

Unfortunately it could not go at the bottom,because of the gate underneath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jimbo2007

Hello. Please remind me - did I not read a few months ago that RTE1 was going to be HD before or just after Christmas? has anyone got any idea when RTE1 will be starting in HD? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

jimbo2007 wrote: »
    Hello. Please remind me - did I not read a few months ago that RTE1 was going to be HD before or just after Christmas? has anyone got any idea when RTE1 will be starting in HD? thanks.
    This thread is for Saorsat, I don't know if you are receiving RTE via Saorsat. There is no definite dates for RTE1 HD but I presume it will co-incide with the Mux 2 launch, which is a political/cost/diplomatic issue at the moment. The technical equipment had been ready for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jimbo2007

Sorry. No I cannot get this but posted it here as it is more likely to appear on Seosat first than on Astra, and just wondered if anyone had any info? I do not think 9 East would work in my area.

As far as I know there is still only one mux on 9 East, and was not aware of a second one starting.

If anyone does have any info, please let us know.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Please remind me - did I not read a few months ago that RTE1 was going to be HD before or just after Christmas? has anyone got any idea when RTE1 will be starting in HD?

The only thing official at the moment is that RTÉ published a tender in May "to design, supply, installation, integration, testing, commissioning, training and documentation of the upgrade of RTÉ One transmission to High Definition (HD)". No mention of a launch date.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056941045

As far as I know there is still only one mux on 9 East, and was not aware of a second one starting.

If anyone does have any info, please let us know.

I assume there will only be 1 mux on Saorsat with extra capacity made available as required. Did watty or others mention in this thread or another during the early discussion on Saorsat/Ka-Sat that 50Mbps was available to Saorsat on that transponder???

The 2nd Mux zg3409 was referring to is the terrestrial mux which will be required if RTÉ1 is to change to 1440x1080i HD. The 1st Mux (24Mbps) is full.

I recently bought a Walker WP95SAT-HD receiver for the digital teletext Mheg5,out of all the receivers i have only this one would bring up the digital teletext.Are there any other satellite receivers with Mheg5 on them,which will give the digital teletext.?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I recently bought a Walker WP95SAT-HD receiver for the digital teletext Mheg5,out of all the receivers i have only this one would bring up the digital teletext.Are there any other satellite receivers with Mheg5 on them,which will give the digital teletext.?

Official branded Freesat boxes in the UK have Mheg5 not sure if it works with Saorsat as they'd have to be tuned in Manually whereas Freesat has its own automatically updated EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

does this mean RTE will be available FTA across europe??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

fryup wrote: »

No Saorsat is from a different Sat. (9 East) than the normal BBC/ITV/Sky stuff (28 East). It is also composed of multiple small spot beams and the beam only covers the island of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

fryup wrote: »

This what the then RTÉ CFO Conor Hayes said about Saorsat back in July 2010 to an Oireachtas Committee when it was first announced - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78496839

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement