Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

Stinicker wrote: »
    Not for me and I've also lost RTEJr since these two test cards went live.

The two test cards had been live for many weeks, if you've "suddenly" lost RTÉ Jr then it's your box at fault.
    jimbo2007 wrote: »
    I assume the two test cards are still active? Thanks.

Gone at present.

Seirbhís Thrialach 1 has returned - the test-tone has been replaced with audio from RTÉ Lyric FM

Seirbhís Thrialach 2 has returned - the test-tone has been replaced with audio from RTÉ Raidío na Gaeltachta

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jimbo2007

radiowaves wrote: »
    Seirbhís Thrialach 1 has returned - the test-tone has been replaced with audio from RTÉ Lyric FM

Seirbhís Thrialach 2 has returned - the test-tone has been replaced with audio from RTÉ Raidío na Gaeltachta

Are the SIDs and PIDs the same as before? Thanks. And I suppose RTE 1 is still SD on here?

jimbo2007 wrote: »
    Are the SIDs and PIDs the same as before? Thanks. And I suppose RTE 1 is still SD on here?

They are, and your supposition is unfortunately correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭eamonpk

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Yep, Sky from a Northern Ireland address gets you RTE1, RTE2, TG4 and RTE Jr with some blocking due to rights issues.

UTV HD will be available on SKY from the 4th November.

An ROI address gets you all channels currently on Saorview with some UK services missing ????

Not sure if Sky bother you if you don't have the appropriate phone line.

I have Sky Ireland up in Glengormley just North of Belfast as the Cavehill blocks me getting Saorview. I can tell you Sky don't bother me about the phone even when I have given my NI phone as my contact. With that you get all the Saorview channels plus BBC1/2/3/4 and Channel 4. To get UTV and Channel Five requires going into Other Channels and you can't record from it.

I would give up Sky and go with SaorSat if I thought full SaorSat package was ther but TV3 3E etc was there - anyone any idea if TV3 will be available on SaorSat ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 bigVee

eamonpk wrote: »
    I would give up Sky and go with SaorSat if I thought full SaorSat package was ther but TV3 3E etc was there - anyone any idea if TV3 will be available on SaorSat ever

I wonder what is the purpose of the test channels on Saorsat, which have been showing test cards since June? All may be revealed someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

I wonder will UTV ireland use saorsat when it sets up in Dublin in 2015 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

eamonpk wrote: »
    I have Sky Ireland up in Glengormley just North of Belfast as the Cavehill blocks me getting Saorview. I can tell you Sky don't bother me about the phone even when I have given my NI phone as my contact. With that you get all the Saorview channels plus BBC1/2/3/4 and Channel 4. To get UTV and Channel Five requires going into Other Channels and you can't record from it.

Sounds good.

You could always get either a Freesat or Freeview PVR for the main terrestrial channels, bearing in mind a Freeview HD box will receive the NI mux from Carnmoney Hill.
    I wonder will UTV ireland use saorsat when it sets up in Dublin in 2015 ?

Yes, was wondering that myself.

They were saying they hoped to negotiate carriage on all digital platforms, so I assume this would include Saorsat.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

I strongly belive TV3 and 3E must use the saorsat platform, with so many black spots around Ireland and belive me there is. If Pat Rabbitt brings in a new broadcasting license and i hope he will, some of that money must go to broadcasters to help pay for transmission fees. Its not fair that this is happening. What is on Saorview should also be on Saorsat

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Just wondering if UTV IRELAND go straight onto HD instead of SD.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Just wondering if UTV IRELAND go straight onto HD instead of SD.
    It would make sense to do so, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I strongly belive TV3 and 3E must use the saorsat platform, with so many black spots around Ireland and belive me there is. If Pat Rabbitt brings in a new broadcasting license and i hope he will, some of that money must go to broadcasters to help pay for transmission fees. Its not fair that this is happening. What is on Saorview should also be on Saorsat

The transmission costs are LESS than they used to be per channel. Also Saorsat is probably less than a decent EPG slot on Sky. TV3 have no money is the problem. The Licence money shouldn't be wasted on subsidising companies suffering from leveraged buyouts. TV3's debt was the decision of Doughty Hanson Group. Not lack of revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 coopershels

I emailed Pat Rabbitte's office the other day to complain about the content on saorsat compared to saorview. There has been no reply yet except an automated one but if anyone has not mailed him about this, I think you should because he can't ignore us all. If anyone can do anything about it, he can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

I emailed Pat Rabbitte's office the other day to complain about the content on saorsat compared to saorview.

I don't see what he can do if TV3 aren't going to pay to be on Saorsat. Tv3 made the decision not be on Saorsat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

The Minister and the Department have no control over the Saorsat platform, it was created by RTE NL/2RN as a commercial venture. If TV3 choose not to pay for Saorsat access there is very little the minister can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

I know they say it is a "commercial venture" but I presume part of the commercial side was that they intended turning off loads of the smaller terrestrial broadcast sites, so people who used to get a signal before analogue switch off would have an option. The "commercial" was a cost saving on terrestrial sites, rather than extra income from terrestrial broadcasters having more viewers.

When the facts of the number of sites being turned off was made aware to locals, some protested and some sites were upgraded to Saorview. However lots of the smaller sites were turned off, and possibly abandoned.

In light of the fact that it does not really supply a real replacement for a Saorview signal, then as such it has possibly been a partial "commercial" failure.

If the BAI or government added a clause saying "if you want to be on Saorview you need to also pay reasonable Saorsat costs" then it would give 100% coverage for all, and make Saorsat more "commercially viable"

What would happen if RTENL/2RN decided Saorsat was now a commercial failure and shut it down?

I do think asking is worth the effort, as all organisations/groups are concerned by "pressure groups".

Anyone know the number of Saorsat LNBs sold? This would give an idea of the possible number of viewers, and the possible extra advertising revenue for TV3/UTV ROI etc.

Saorview is a regulated service, Saorsat is not. If 2RN wished to shut a transmitter site, I would suspect the Department would have something to say about it. There is no Saorsat specific legislation. It would be nice if TV3 and 3e were on Saorsat, but they are under no legal obligation to be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 coopershels

I know that there is no legal obligation for tv3 and 3e to be on saorsat and this is exactly why i suggested contacting Pat Rabbitte. He is the minister and deals with them directly, he could introduce legislation to force them to be on saorsat or he could supplement their payment to be on saorsat.

It is just a suggestion and I think it's worth a try, it certainly can't do any harm:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im open to correction on this but TV3 need a license from the BAI to broadcast. Surely BAI should be imposing conditions that they (TV3) must put programmes out through saorsat. Perhaps not during the lifetime of the current license but certainly when they apply for renewal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

muffler wrote: »
    Perhaps not during the lifetime of the current license but certainly when they apply for renewal again.

TV3's licence expires in September 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The Cush wrote: »
    I was half hoping it would be longer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

The Cush wrote: »

What are the odds it'll make it to that date? We could have the crazy situation of having UTV on Saorsat from the first of January 2015 (especially if there are few variations to the UTV Northern Irish Service.) and still no TV3 or 3e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭July Rain

How many people use saorsat though ? Less than 500 would be my guess.

July Rain wrote: »
    How many people use saorsat though ? Less than 500 would be my guess.

A lot more would use it if you could use a small dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

zg3409 wrote: »

If the BAI or government added a clause saying "if you want to be on Saorview you need to also pay reasonable Saorsat costs" then it would give 100% coverage for all, and make Saorsat more "commercially viable"

What would happen if RTENL/2RN decided Saorsat was now a commercial failure and shut it down?

I do think asking is worth the effort, as all organisations/groups are concerned by "pressure groups".

Saorsat is cheap way for RTENL to backup feed to TX sites. It won't be closed. In that sense it's a commercial success.

TV3 are daft and broke, are they even paying terrestrial carriage yet? BAI are clueless. Pat Rabbitte has been taken over by Sir Humphry. TV3 NEVER EVER paid their share and fulfilled intentions of licence conditions on Analogue.

So I'd hardly expect better now.

Nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Why would the 'owners' of the transmitting apparatuses not cut off a customer for non-payment of due fees over a very long period?

In other words ..... why is TV3 still being carried at someone else's expense and not cut off, IF all this speculation about non-payment of fees is accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Why would the 'owners' of the transmitting apparatuses not cut off a customer for non-payment of due fees over a very long period?

In other words ..... why is TV3 still being carried at someone else's expense and not cut off, IF all this speculation about non-payment of fees is accurate?

AFAIK TV3 are paying fees to be on Saorview but I am happy to be corrected by proof. (My Source: BAI)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    AFAIK TV3 are paying fees to be on Saorview but I am happy to be corrected by proof. (My Source: BAI)

That would be my thinking too, there was a question in the Dáil just before Saorview officially launched which basically said that if TV3/TG4 were to to be carried on DTT they would have to pay the associated costs. They may not be happy paying but we've heard nothing from RTÉ/2RN to indicate otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Had a scan of 9E this morning and on the KA Saorsat transpnder now have --
    RTE One
    RTE Two HD
    RTE News Now
    TG4
    Seirbis Thrialach 1 (test card 2 EIREANN and music)
    Seirbis Thrialach 2 (test card with bar going back and fore and talking )
    RTE Junior.

For you information
    Regards

• Advertisement

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    Had a scan of 9E this morning and on the KA Saorsat transpnder now have --
    RTE One
    RTE Two HD
    RTE News Now
    TG4
    Seirbis Thrialach 1 (test card 2 EIREANN and music)
    Seirbis Thrialach 2 (test card with bar going back and fore and talking )
    RTE Junior.

For you information
    Regards

Been like that a few months now :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement