Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Quick question:

Somebody I know will only be able to receive tv via Saorsat rather than Saorview. They are buying a new tv. Is there a list of Saorsat compatible tvs anywhere, or are all Saorview compatible tvs Saorsat compatible tvs?

Thanks.

Has anybody noticed that the Saorview website is all over the place, in particular links to articles which did exist are now linking to entirely different articles on the same website? For example, this morning this article was a very good explanation of Saorsat now it's all about Saorview with nothing about Saorsat, but as you can see the url address still mentions Saorsat. There seems to have been a large scale purge of old articles, but maintenance of the old urls.

Edit: They've changed the information once again on that url in the past five minutes. Here's what was on the same url - http://www.saorview.ie/about-saorview/saorsat/ - five minutes ago:

FAQs
    What is SAORVIEW?
    SAORVIEW is a free digital television service you receive with an aerial.

SAORVIEW replaces the current free analogue TV signal which you receive through your aerial. The analogue TV service will be switched off on October 24th 2012.

What is ASO or DSO?
    ASO is short for Analogue Switch Off. This will happen on 24th October in Ireland and is the day that the old analogue TV service will be switched off. People who rely on this service to get Irish TV will have to switch to digital before the 24th of October or their screens will go blank. SAORVIEW is the free digital replacement for this service.
    DSO is short for Digital Switchover. This refers to the switch from analogue to digital television transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Seanchai wrote: »
    Is there a list of Saorsat compatible tvs anywhere, or are all Saorview compatible tvs Saorsat compatible tvs?

I think Walker are the only company that have a Saorsat approved TV range e.g. http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-WP3270&pages=1&prod=WP3270&brands=WALKER&image=

There are other TVs with built in sat receivers such as Samsung, LG and Toshiba but not Saorsat approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need a Dish, Ka LNBF and an DVB-S2 HD box with MHEG5 for Saorsat. Very very few TVs can do it without a satellite receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

I checked the manual on those receivers and they do diseq1.0 and diseq1.1 and they have 16 ports.

all you need now the the proper switches/splitter, configure the boxes and your away.

sadly i have forgotten how to use a set up like yours.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Be no harm to edit page 8 again, it says to stay calm and that your TV won't go blank til October 24. Bit late for that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dmcdream

Have any folks in or around the Belfast area been checking their Saorview reception from Clermont Carn today?

My family live in what has historically been a "marginal" reception area of south Belfast. Analogue reception of RTÉ 1 and 2 was clear, albeit a little hazy on occasion. TV3 was extremely ghostly, and prone to “dropping out” in bad weather. TG4 reception has always been fair, thanks to the existing "mini Mux" arrangement at Divis Mountain.

This afternoon I connected up a Humax HD-FOX T2 receiver, provided to us by the Switchover Help Scheme, and the picture quality has never been so good! Saorviews' 8 TV channels (excluding RTÉ Aertel here) are blasting in! :eek:

Of course, the real test will be in bad/wintery weather! As I said, TV3 was extremely ghostly, and prone to “dropping out” when we had bad weather. Any heavy downpour of rain, and the picture would just disappear.

I'm keen to hear where else is enjoying this great picture quality today, so keep those posts coming! :D

**I should hopefully have a Soarsat reception report from the same location, to share with you all tomorrow!**

dmcdream wrote: »
    This afternoon I connected up a Humax HD-FOX T2 receiver, provided to us by the Switchover Help Scheme, and the picture quality has never been so good! Saorviews' 8 TV channels (excluding RTÉ Aertel here) are blasting in! :eek:

If you get all 8 Saorview channels you should also get RTÉ Aertel on the RTÉ channels.

Lots of discussion on Belfast over in the terrestrial forum.

Hi folks,

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction of a no-frills-type receiver, that I can use for both UK Freesat and Saorsat.

I have 2 dishes set up at the moment, by means of splitters and DiSEqC switches, aligned to 28.2E and 9E. I've been trying to get the set-up to work via a Xoro 8530 HD receiver, but have been having little success. A typical issue I've faced today, is not all channels coming through when scanning 28.2E (e.g. basic channels such as BBC 3 and BBC 4.) Has anyone else ever encountered problems like that?

As always, all responses/feedback (and help) are gratefully received!

Thanks! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

With a FTA receiver, you won't see any sign of BBC 3 or 4 until after 7pm. They share slots with CBBC & Cbeebies.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    With a FTA receiver, you won't see any sign of BBC 3 or 4 until after 7pm. They share slots with CBBC & Cbeebies.

Thanks for confirming that Peter!

I was at least expecting a "Programmes start at 7pm" when looking for them today.

Talk about making things unnecessarily awkward!?

dmcdream wrote: »
    I was at least expecting a "Programmes start at 7pm" when looking for them today.

Talk about making things unnecessarily awkward!?

Just like RTÉjr/RTÉ1+1 who share the same stream on Saorview, the channel off air uses an MHEG-5 generated caption.

FTA receivers don't have MHEG-5 to generate the caption and as the stream is already being used by another channel it's not possible to have a broadcast caption.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 powerunit

its available on 9 east with a ka band lnb and hd satellite receiver and it works

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

dose anyone know if the play tv( play station 3 tv tuner ) supports freeview hd find with saorview hd rte 2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

What has that got to do with Saorsat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

lgs 4 wrote: »
    dose anyone know if the play tv( play station 3 tv tuner ) supports freeview hd find with saorview hd rte 2

I think it does work for saorview and freeview but i am not sure if play tv is dvb-t or dvb-t2 so it might not work with freeview HD - for better info mate: head over to the terrestrial forum and have a look or post the question there as this is the satellite section :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Skanco

Anyone knows what happened to the teletext on saorsat? just got back having a play and found the text gone.

Skanco wrote: »

Anyone knows what happened to the teletext on saorsat? just got back having a play and found the text gone.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056772408

Another quick question:

A friend is in the Kerry Gaeltacht and she is now using Saorview and has purchased a new (Samsung) tv. The reception is grand, even though she was told she would need Saorsat.

Question: Can she now stop and record shows as can be done with UPC in Dublin?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

Seanchai wrote: »
    purchased a new (Samsung) tv. ... Can she now stop and record shows as can be done with UPC in Dublin?

Please start a new thread in the terrestrial section with the exact model and we can advise. This thread is for Saorsat and not how to record Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I've a couple of Saorsat questions:

1. Can I mount a Saorsat Ka LNBF on an old Sky Astra dish (alongside the Astra LNB) or do I need a new dish?

2. Will a UK Freesat+ HD Box (Panasonic XS350 DVD Recorder with two LNB inputs) work with one input connected to Sky LNB and the other to Saorsat LNB? I only want the Saorsat picture/sound and don't mind if I lose the teletext or EPG!

Thanks, Paul

PS I'm in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

1. Can I mount a Saorsat Ka LNBF on an old Sky Astra dish (alongside the Astra LNB) or do I need a new dish?

2. Will a UK Freesat+ HD Box (Panasonic XS350 DVD Recorder with two LNB inputs) work with one input connected to Sky LNB and the other to Saorsat LNB? I only want the Saorsat picture/sound and don't mind if I lose the teletext or EPG!

1. A solid dish of at least 80cm is recommended. I would recommend an 88 or 90cm in Dublin. In theory a Sky dish might work but not reliably during heavy rain.

2. It would need a non freesat mode and DiSEqC. I don't think the panasonic has this so no I don't think it could be used for Saorsat.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

Has anybody used the ferguson 52d for a saorsat/free to air setup.I am looking for a simple to use box that can list all channel in one list. I am not to bothered about epg .The remote looks simular to the arriva 150 which works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Cheap and no EPG isn't equal to "simple to use".

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

watty wrote: »
    Cheap and no EPG isn't equal to "simple to use".
    What box would you recommend for 2 senior citizens who like tv thats simple to use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭sligotrain

jjf1974 wrote: »
    What box would you recommend for 2 senior citizens who like tv thats simple to use?

Probably a Saorview approved combo TV? I don't think two box "solutions" are viable, especially for older folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jkk1

Hi, read through this and cannot see anyone raise my issue. It was mentioned that someone thought you could not watch saorsat on split signal simultaneuosly. I have done 2 installs involving 3 room with free to air and saorsat in each. The box I used is the saorsat recommended walker box. When watching the 2 boxes on the split saorsat signal if one of the boxes is change from saorsat to free to air the other one freezes on saorsat for up to 5 seconds and vice versa.
    What i have done - Astra 28.2 is fed in port 2 on 3 diseqcs, 1 saorsat feed is fed direct from KA lnb to port 2 on 1 of the diseqcs, the other saorsat feed is split and then fed to port 2 on the 2 remaining diseqc swithes.
    I have tried different combinations of diseqc far from dish, near dish, half way. The same thing happens, change from one satellite to the other on one box and the box sharing the split KA signal with it freezes on saorsat.

jkk1 wrote: »
    Hi, read through this and cannot see anyone raise my issue. It was mentioned that someone thought you could not watch saorsat on split signal simultaneuosly.
    You can split Saorsat because it's just one polarity and band. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 jkk1

I know you can split it but the way it is working for me is of limited use.
    for example, 2 people are watching boxes fed by a split saorsat feed, one of the people is constantly flicking between RTE1 (saorsat) and BBC1 (28.2) then the second box is basically frozen the whole time. Any installation I have seen where saorsat feed is split and fed to diseqc has this problem. What am I doing wrong, CT100 cable has been used for the saorsat where possible, diseqc switches and splitters have been changed out. There must be a technical reason why split KA band on a diseqc with KU is affected when another box sharing the KA feed switches between KU and KA?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement