Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

el pasco wrote: »
    Does this box work with digital teletext? Don't see MHEG5 listed?

No one has done a proper review. Apparently it was designed for Saorsat and a freeview ripoff. It seems to give some sort of 7 day freesat guide, and also a Saorsat 7 day guide.

Not sure of any other features. Note this is NOT Saorsat NOR Freesat approved, but it may be the best cheap box for combined Saorsat & Freesat. It may be Saorsat approved in the future if rumours are anything to go by.

Please buy one and review it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Apogee

FWIW I use a Global 4 way active splitter to split a feed from between a master receiver (incl polarotor control), blindsearch receiver and spectrum analyzer. No short circuit issues or messing with external PSU.

42406733.jpg

CPC stock them

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/21279-4-way-active-splitter-split4af-global-communications.html

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Looking for a bit of advice guys. My setup is a VU+ Duo and a Triax 90cm motorised dish. Currently I have a dual lnb fitted and 2 runs of coax to the receiver.

I guess that my preferred option would be to have 28e available for recording while watching Saorsat (or vice-versa) so am I looking at fitting a 2nd offset lnb? I realise that once the dish moves to a different sat then neither will be received but that's not a problem.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Looking for a bit of advice guys. My setup is a VU+ Duo and a Triax 90cm motorised dish. Currently I have a dual lnb fitted and 2 runs of coax to the receiver.

I guess that my preferred option would be to have 28e available for recording while watching Saorsat (or vice-versa) so am I looking at fitting a 2nd offset lnb? I realise that once the dish moves to a different sat then neither will be received but that's not a problem.

Cheers :)

Get a USB DTT dongle like Nova TD or T and connect to VU+, Then get your Irish channels from Saorview instead of Saorsat.

199138.jpg

I tested Saorsat from the East Maidens Island, which is a good way East of Larne, between Northern Ireland and Scotland. A fine picture was picked up with my test setup.

Conclusion
    Looks as if Saorsat should be receivable in all of the north, and possibly very west Scotland.

I did hear one report that the East Scotland beam is putting out a blank DVB-S carrier (as opposed to DVB-S2) on the EXACT same frequency as Saorsat which seems to be jamming the signal for one person in Manchester anyway. He received the DVB-S carrier fine, but nothing on it. It looks as if the East Scotland beam is not stronger than the Irish beam in all of the North anyways.

I might get up to Rathlin later this year and test there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

zg3409 wrote: »
    199138.jpg

I tested Saorsat from the East Maidens Island, which is a good way East of Larne, between Northern Ireland and Scotland. A fine picture was picked up with my test setup.

Conclusion
    Looks as if Saorsat should be receivable in all of the north, and possibly very west Scotland.

I did hear one report that the East Scotland beam is putting out a blank DVB-S carrier (as opposed to DVB-S2) on the EXACT same frequency as Saorsat which seems to be jamming the signal for one person in Manchester anyway. He received the DVB-S carrier fine, but nothing on it. It looks as if the East Scotland beam is not stronger than the Irish beam in all of the North anyways.

I might get up to Rathlin later this year and test there too.

How did you achieve such a thing? I've never even heard of East Maidens, let alone been there and installed satellite tv!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Islands very visible from Islandmagee and Antrim Coast. One has a lighthouse and another a stump of an old lighthouse.

Many a night I watched the flashes...

Islands very visible from Islandmagee and Antrim Coast. One has a lighthouse and another a stump of an old lighthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bigVee

I am located about 10 miles south of the islands, but have never been on them. I think they would be difficult to land on. Could be RTE on Saorsat was the first time satellite TV was received there. A very interesting test from near the edge of the footprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

watty wrote: »

watty wrote: »

Thats a lovely gesture. One post for each of the 2 islands :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Hi Folks,

Excuse the ignorance here. I have 2 panny LZD-37 tvs with integrated Freesat tuners built in. Will these be able to receive saorsat tv channels?

or will I need need new LNBs on my dish and set top boxes for these channels?

thanks for all info
    Daithi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

You will most certainly need a Ka lnb adding to your set up to receive Saorsat

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bigVee

Depending on your location you need a 80 cm minimum solid dish plus Ka band LNB. The Inverto Ka band LNB has a dual outlet which could feed both TVs. Your built in Freesat tuners need to be HD to receive mpeg 4 signals from Saorsat. It is possible to receive Freesat and Saorsat with a single dish fitted with Ka and K band LNBs. I use a separate 80 cm dish for Saorsat as I am switching between Saorsat and a motorised system.

daithi7 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Excuse the ignorance here. I have 2 panny LZD-37 tvs with integrated Freesat tuners built in. Will these be able to receive saorsat tv channels?

or will I need need new LNBs on my dish and set top boxes for these channels?

I couldn't find your exact model. On the Panasonic UK there are lots of

TX37LZDxxx models

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Support/Downloads/220239/index.html#anker_222458

As to whether you TV will work

Qns
    1) It is freesat HD or just plain freesat (non HD)? (I.e. can you view the BBCHD channel)

2) Does it have a non freesat mode?(can you manually add channels not listed)

3) Does it have DiSEqC option(probably in the satellite setup menu, after non freesat mode is selected)?

Before buying anything make sure it has all the above.

You will definitely need a new LNB. You need a minimum of a solid dish, probably a second dish may be easier, or one new 90cm dish with both LNBs mounted on it.

zg3409 wrote: »
    I couldn't find your exact model. On the Panasonic UK there are lots of

TX37LZDxxx models

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Support/Downloads/220239/index.html#anker_222458

As to whether you TV will work

Qns
    1) It is freesat HD or just plain freesat (non HD)? (I.e. can you view the BBCHD channel)

2) Does it have a non freesat mode?(can you manually add channels not listed)

3) Does it have DiSEqC option(probably in the satellite setup menu, after non freesat mode is selected)?

Before buying anything make sure it has all the above.

You will definitely need a new LNB. You need a minimum of a solid dish, probably a second dish may be easier, or one new 90cm dish with both LNBs mounted on it.

Thanks for replies on my query. I have 2 TX37LZDxxx Panny TVs (apologies for not specifying the model no.s properly originally), So it seems I will need a new LNB anyway and with that probably a new dish, and wiring to my tv also. replies to your queries below:

1) It is freesat HD or just plain freesat (non HD)?

The TV is HD but for some reason I do not get BBC HD but do get CH4 HD?

2) Does it have a non freesat mode?

Not sure if I have 'non free sat mode'???

3) Does it have DiSEqC option

Not sure it has DiDEqC option either.

Can you post the full model number i.e. what are xxx digits for your TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

The TV is HD but for some reason I do not get BBC HD but do get CH4 HD?

Strange.

You should get at least 4 HD channels if you key in an NI postcode, and 5 if you use an English, Welsh, or Southern Scottish one.

There's no reason why you shouldn't get BBC1 HD and BBC HD, no matter where you live in the UK.

As far as I'm aware, all TVs with built in Freesat tuners are Freesat HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Didn't C4 HD go back to DVB-S while BBC HD is DVB-S2? Might have something to do with it.

Apogee wrote: »
    Can you post the full model number i.e. what are xxx digits for your TV?

They are Panasonic TVs Model No: TX-37 LZD81

p.s. re receiving HD channels, I have not actually entered any UK postal code- perhaps I need to do this to get HD?? I know I used to get BBC HD until about a year ago or so!?

They are Panasonic TVs Model No: TX-37 LZD81

p.s. re receiving HD channels, I have not actually entered any UK postal code- perhaps I need to do this to get HD?? I know I used to get BBC HD until about a year ago or so!?

The user manual is here:
    http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/TX-37LZD81/Specification/6261854/index.html?trackInfo=true

It appears to be HD capable

It appears to have the correct symbol rate.

It appears to have a non freesat mode (on page 36/37 of user manual it explains "Select freesat, DVB or Other Sat") -other sat is what we need

If you search the PDF for diseqc

freesat services via Satellite dish input.
    Symbol Rate - Max. 30 MS/s
    FEC Mode - 1/2, 3/5, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, 5/6, 8/9, 9/10
    Demodulation - QPSK, 8PSK
    Not available for DiSEqC control.

So it may no have DiSEqC option. If not then it is no good for combined Freesat/Saorsat.

in particular on page 37 under dish setup, 22Khz command on see can this be changed to DiSEqC 1.0 or whatever. Try to change this option by selecting it then moving to left or right. If so then it should be possible for Saorsat.
    If you can find any mention of DiSEqC under dish setup by following page 36/37 then you should be on to a winner.

There is also a postcode option, so you should fill that up for normal use.

This seems to suggest DiSEqC is not an option, but try anyway

• Advertisement

Panasonic SW is a horror for compatibility with anything and even in UK support is poor. Here it's non-existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

I have not actually entered any UK postal code- perhaps I need to do this to get HD?

No, you don't.

An NI postcode should currently receive 4 HD channels, BBC1 HD, BBC HD, Channel 4 HD, and NHK World HD.

Later in the year UTV HD should become available (probably at DSO).

An English, Welsh, and Southern Scotland (ITV Border) postcode will currently give you ITV HD.

Thanks Folks,

that's great info, very useful & informative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Thanks Folks,

that's great info, very useful & informative.

You have to return the LZD81 to shipping condition. This means you will lose the DVB-T channels if saved already (you will have to use a hotel file to renable those for Saorview as we all know the shortcomings with these and Service IDs not defined in the firmware).

To enable shipping condition and dvb-s2 tuner (as distinct from factory reset)

1). Press the V- button down on TV whilst pressing the i button down. Hold until reset screen comes up.

ie. The Volume minus button on tv and the information button on the remote control.

2). Turn TV off (on TV not remote) wait 30 secs. Turn on again. Wait for it to retune and all should be OK again.

source

According to RTENL Saorsat is already launched. So no change of power, FEC, bitrate etc expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

STB wrote: »
    To enable shipping condition and dvb-s2 tuner (as distinct from factory reset)

So I was on the right track then. Suppose I could have followed it up with a bit of googling.
    Didn't C4 HD go back to DVB-S while BBC HD is DVB-S2? Might have something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

TG4 may not be on Saorsat if the information in this article from the Southern Star newspaper is correct because they cannot afford it
    West Cork TV viewers may be short-changed
    By Leo McMahon Saturday April 21st, 2012

VIEWERS in Timoleague and over 100 other communities in Ireland will be short-changed on their choice of TV channels if an EU ruling to remove reflectors is implemented as the country fully switches over to the free-to-air Saorview system later this year.

However, it was acknowledged that it was unlikely Saorsat would carry as many channels as Saorview and for that reason it was advising viewers, wherever possible, to opt for Saorview and speak to a competent aerial installer about this.

Saorsat, said Charlie, will give Timoleague and viewers in the other 118 affected areas only the RTE 1 and 2 TV channels. ‘I’d rather have TG4, which covers a lot of our GAA games but since this is seemingly a standalone company since 2010, they cannot afford to bid for space with Saorsat. TV3 won’t give a damn about the 2 or 3% who won’t receive it.

He fears that the lack of full and fair choice of national TV channels will force more and more viewers to subscribe to Rupert Murdoch’s Sky network.

Speaking to our reporter next to the reflector at Gurranes (installed because the locality couldn’t be served by the RTE transmitter to the north west at Mullaghanish), with its magnificent panoramic view of Timoleague and the hills around it, Charlie Madden reiterated his view that the reflector should continue to function. He urged viewers in this and other affected areas, which, he understands, also includes Bandon town, Leap, Rosscarbery and Dunmanway to lobby local public representatives, the Minister for Communications and the TV companies and ensure full and free-to-air viewing for all.

http://www.southernstar.ie/article.php?id=3382

The Timoleague transmitter carries RTÉ1/2 and TG4 on UHF 29,33,37. It does have a DTT frequency allocation - UHF 26 - but won't be upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭pegasuspub

you can add the drimoleague and mt gabriel transposers to the list of transposers that will not carry saorview,i cant understand this as mt gabriel is covering a large area west of skibbereen,
    the coverage map is not accurate as a large area along the n71 from rosscarbery to schull will not have saorview coverage.
    do rtenl have a reception investigation truck as the did in the past?
    the transposer in the village of leap to years of negotations to get,there were even planning objections by someone from mayo! in fairness to rte they stuck with it and when the mast was switched on it ran for the first few weeks on a diesel generator which the locals topped up,i seem to remember that the total cost of all the planning appeals,new road track to the mast,and mast/transposer itself was approx 70,000 euro and this is going to be turned off?
    sorry for the rant.

Saorsat, said Charlie, will give Timoleague and viewers in the other 118 affected areas only the RTE 1 and 2 TV channels. ‘I’d rather have TG4, which covers a lot of our GAA games but since this is seemingly a standalone company since 2010, they cannot afford to bid for space with Saorsat. TV3 won’t give a damn about the 2 or 3% who won’t receive it.

He fears that the lack of full and fair choice of national TV channels will force more and more viewers to subscribe to Rupert Murdoch's Sky network.

Funny how Padhraic Ó Ciardha of TG4 was apparently concerned at one point about people being pushed towards Sky due to a lack of a FTA alternative, yet TG4's absence from Saorsat will now facilitate that trend
    I take that point, Neil, however, I want to talk briefly about the person who is in the category between the 90 and the 95%. The proposition is, isn't it, that analogue switch off or before it, we are asking him or her to go and buy set-top box to receive MUX one, which will be the public service one, with RTE's channels, ourselves and hopefully TV3. But we are actually telling him really, after that you'd be probably better off buying a Sky box because we're not going to get you the other multiplexes from that date. And I doubt very much, based on previous performances, that whether MUX operations three and four and five, when they fail to achieve a higher percentage, that anything punitive is going to happen to them. So the message -- I'm just saying this to be deliberately controversial, the message to the persons living between the 90 and the 98%, or the 80 and 98% is forget about DTT, go buy yourself a Sky box.

• Advertisement

pegasuspub wrote: »
    do rtenl have a reception investigation truck as the did in the past?
    Yes. Confirmed also last night. Ring them and ask them to check the road you mention.
    pegasuspub wrote: »
    new road track to the mast,and mast/transposer itself was approx 70,000 euro and this is going to be turned off?
    sorry for the rant.

They would need to install a new Saorview transposer, the old equipment simple will not work this November, not sure on the cost but it probably would be relatively expensive. They would also need to support it 24/7/365 for next 20 years.

Saorsat was intended to give people the free channels. The main issue seems to be with TG4 not wanting to pay, yet still taking the same cut of the TV licence.

I would recommend people affected to ring TG4, as Gaeilge, and explain that an installer said you need Saorsat and that TG4 is not on it. Also, ring the BAI and ask how come TG4 is getting licence money without being on Saorsat.

My understanding is Saorsat was intended to be a cost effective alternative to Saorview, and indeed even if they carried TG4 for free it would be more cost effective than upgrading all tranposer sites.

The cost of Saorsat can easily be justified just as an emergency backup feed for RTENL, but it also is a good reason for not wasting money on upgrading smaller sites.

I do agree in a Saorsat only area of ROI, you may be better off with Sky, if you can afford it, especially if you want to watch Tallafornia or TG4 and have no decent broadband.

However as everyone has said even if you are currently getting a signal from a smaller site that is not going to be upgraded then try and try again to get Saorview before going for Saorsat.

I would also encourage people in Northern Ireland to try get overspill from border with TV3 rather than expecting the NI Minimux (no TV3) or Saorsat (No TV3 nor TG4) to do.

I think anger should be vented at TG4 or BAI regarding Saorsat carriage rules. If they both got 90,000 calls from those affected (2%) then they might think twice. I think campaigning to get more sites upgraded to Saorview at this stage is futile. There simply isn't time for the installs let alone budgets etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement