Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! My lodger is a conspiracy nut.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Terry wrote: »
    What the **** do you do with these people?
    Give him a laptop with unlimited free access to the CT forum on boards. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Give him a laptop with unlimited free access to the CT forum on boards. Problem solved.
    No way. Then he'll just meet up with the regulars there and become even more nutty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

is your lodger Jim Corr by any chance? :P

tell him to let his crazy theories out in the Cuckoo's Nest. that'll dilute his crazy a bit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Leave a note on his bed saying:

There are twelve cylon models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭WildBoots

Within the space of 5 minutes, he told me that Princess Diana was assasinated, tower 7 was demolished, there were no passengers on the 9-11 flights (apparently because no bodies were found and because bodies were found on the crashed Concorde), that the Bilderberg group rule the world by worshipping a lizard or something and that the Jews run the world (He's part Jewish).

What the **** do you do with these people?

Before anyone tells me to throw him out, he has nowhere else to go and I feel sorry for him.

What if he's right, or at least partly right? Or maybe you are correct and he is crazy. Why not try talking to him and see why he thinks this way before you write him off completely? Tell him you find it hard to see where he is coming from and that you find it a tad uncomfortable when he talks about such things. Why not tell the guy you'll give him 30 mins to explain and back up one of his "theories" to you. You never know, you might even have a bit of a laugh.

If you still don't agree with what he has to say, tell him you find it all a bit too weird. Be honest. Let him know that you've tried but it's something you don't want to discuss again.

• Advertisement

WildBoots wrote: »
    What if he's right, or at least partly right? Or maybe you are correct and he is crazy. Why not try talking to him and see why he thinks this way before you write him off completely? Tell him you find it hard to see where he is coming from and that you find it a tad uncomfortable when he talks about such things. Why not tell the guy you'll give him 30 mins to explain and back up one of his "theories" to you. You never know, you might even have a bit of a laugh.

If you still don't agree with what he has to say, tell him you find it all a bit too weird. Be honest. Let him know that you've tried but it's something you don't want to discuss again.
    Yeah, but that doesn't make for a good AH thread.

If I wanted real advice, I would have used the appropriate forum.

He's an old friend, but I hadn't seen him for about 4 years. Great lodger apart from the conspiracy theories. Instead of paying rent today, he offered to buy some paint and do the hall, stairs, landing, his room and the part of the bathroom which isn't tiled. He's halfway through the hall stairs and landing.

Right. Back to the funny replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

He's halfway through the hall stairs and landing.

Leave some cryptic notes slightly hidden where there are no tiles. Then when he goes to tile them he'll find the clues and lead him on a quest of epic proportions, that will eventually lead him to a giant hole. He can't live with you if he's stuck in a hole.

Now that's something I will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Tell him elvis stayed with you last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

tell him you're taking a summer trip to north dakota

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Stick a blown up picture of you at the Spire in every room in the house.
    It'll give him something else to think about for a while:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

I hear Ireland is going to get a bit of heatwave. How are ya fixed for a bit of nudistry? Make it a bit awkward for the aul lingering conversations.

tell him you're taking a summer trip to north dakota
    Are you taking a Summer trip to North Dakota, Mordy?
    Enjoy.

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Stick a blown up picture of you at the Spire in every room in the house.
    It'll give him something else to think about for a while:D
    Interesting idea.

SadieSue wrote: »
    I hear Ireland is going to get a bit of heatwave. How are ya fixed for a bit of nudistry? Make it a bit awkward for the aul lingering conversations.

I'd never get naked in front of anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Get a Dictaphone and talk into it, making notes of everything to a person called Dianne.

Just count yourself lucky he's not a member of the flat earth society..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,904 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Are you taking a Summer trip to North Dakota, Mordy?
    Enjoy.
    That would be difficult seeing as how NORTH DAKOTA DOESNT EXIST

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

When he goes to bed, brick up the doorway to the bedroom, then.... actually that's all I've got. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Before anyone tells me to throw him out, he has nowhere else to go.

Or does he ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

When he goes to bed, brick up the doorway to the bedroom, then.... actually that's all I've got. Sorry.
    been there,

we came home from work and this lad was in bricking up the doorway into one of the rooms

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This is an obvious job for Trent, He will either have sex with him or kill him, either way you win :D
    or both , and not necessarily in that order

• Advertisement

Tonight:
    Lockheed (sp) are capable of breaking the laws of physics, but the American government are covering it up.

I shít you not. He's talking about this right now to my friends.

Apperently the head of Lockheed will not employ people from Harvard or that other popular American university because they are set in their ways. That they will not accept that the known laws of Physics are changeable.

What I now want are some links to completely unreal crap. I just want to get him to believe it and then laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Tonight:
    Lockheed (sp) are capable of breaking the laws of physics, but the American government are covering it up.

I shít you not. He's talking about this right now to my friends.

Apperently the head of Lockheed will not employ people from Harvard or that other popular American university because they are set in their ways. That they will not accept that the known laws of Physics are changeable.

What I now want are some links to completely unreal crap. I just want to get him to believe it and then laugh.

google jedward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

Jedward is not the answer for everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

He must be getting it from this guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

tell him bout that ship found under the WTC ruins.

http://gizmodo.com/5589699/scientists-crack-mona-lisas-secret-by-x+raying-her

Actually show him this and convince him they were scanning it for davinci's code, that will unlock faster than light space travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Overheal wrote: »
    http://gizmodo.com/5589699/scientists-crack-mona-lisas-secret-by-x+raying-her

Actually show him this and convince him they were scanning it for davinci's code, that will unlock faster than light space travel.
    hmmm, that was actually in this week's futurama, except it was the Last Supper that was x-rayed.
    pffft, Overheal, everyone knows that FTL travel was already discovered in Battlestar Galactica :p

tell him you've found proof that parallel universes exist. just tell to read the dark tower series. that should keep him occupied for a few months. it's a loooong series :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Get naked again.

• Advertisement

^tell him it was a photoshop bet he'll even believe it

Advertisement