Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

There isn't a clutch like you have in a car but there is a damper plate that bolts to the flywheel the springs in it absorb the torque from the engine.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The engine teardown.

Not pretty but not too bad.

I like to put everything back where it came from even the bolts.

All the values will need reseating "lapping "

I would normally do this by hand but my wrists are fecked so I take all the help I can get. Start off with a rough compound then a fine and a polish. You can tell by the sound of the grinding when you get a smooth finish, I don't have a vacuum to check the seal but they feel pretty good.

Most of the cleaning was done with a scotch bright pad and oven cleaner with out Mister muscle 

Time to put it back together.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭thereitisgone

Wow, thats just brilliant workmanship

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Did you hone the cylinders and replace the rings.? I'm no expert but I'd so that.

This Rubbish video but anyway.

No need to re-hone the cylinders they only had light surface rust with no scaring, I will be removing the pistons and cleaning the rings and bearings the engine has less than 100 hours on it so I'd say they will be OK to go again I'll know more when I get them out but feel confident, it was more the soft metal that took the most damage due to electrolysis the hard metal seems good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Sorry if this post isn't interesting to people but I'd replace the engine bearings and rings.

I would even donate money to do it so it goes well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I would put good money on Fergal's workmanship, he's a miracle worker. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SeanyF

Hey Fergal,

Serious thread. Just stumbled across it. A morning well spent reading that!

What are you using when cleaning/painting the engine?

I see you said you were using a scotch pad and some oven cleaner to do the cleaning, but are you just spraying a primer on then after that and painting over the primer when it’s dry?

The finished job on the gearbox looks great, just wondering how hard it is to get it looking like that.

I’m painting the block of my own engine at the moment. So am curious how it’s going for you.

I use my boat mostly down on Lough Derg. If you’re ever down this way and need a second boat for a trip around let me know. It’s a RIB so it’s (possibly) fast enough to keep up!

Sean

Hi Sean thanks for your comments and invite, For cleaning the block and all the other cast-iron bits I used a wire wheel in a drill, this is the paint and primer I used it's just brushed on but the combi levels out very well , I can't guarantee how it will hold up to the heat of your engine mine never gets too hot and is just warm to the touch. On my cruiser I used hammerite on the engine it gets a bit hotter but has held up for the past 8 years. Halfords also sell a heatproof engine paint in a spray can if you want to try that but I didn't like the finish colour.

Thanks for the follow up!

Yeah I have the heatproof primer and the paint from the engine manufacturer to spray over that. Had intended doing it like you said with a drill and a wire wheel.

No sooner had I posted my earlier comment about getting Old’s Cool down to Lough derg one day, than I thought; feck that, I’ll bring my boat up on its trailer whenever you’re going in the water!

I’ll be keeping a good eye on this thread!

What condition did the wood turn out to be in in the end? Was it saturated or did the epoxy hold up?

I see in the photos that you cleaned off the mussels, was there any damage from where they were attached, or did it just leave some marks on the top coat?

If there’s localised damage in small areas, is it better to patch those areas, or do you have to replace all the wood in that’s area and around it? Seems like it would be hard to colour match a patch.

• Advertisement

The epoxy held up well so well in fact the guys from West system epoxy called out to me to have a look at it and do a story on it and will supply me with the resin for the restoration 😃 so I will probably sand it back to the wood or at least sand off the varnish. Might even go for the Rat Rod look 🤔

The bearings and rings are fine just needed a cleaning, there is no sign of wear or scratches on the bearings so they will be going back, sometimes you can do more damage putting in new bearings as they have to reseat themselves onto the camshaft so I would only fit new ones if I absolutely had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,805 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

After 8 years at the bottom of a lake that's impressive to say the least!

Life ain't always empty.

I wonder if you stripped back the epoxy in the darker areas and let the wood dry out for a few days, maybe tent the areas and stick a dehumidifier in there… would you be able to get the wood to go back to the original colour? i.e. is it just wet?

Or would it be stained by the mud because it was laying upside down in it in those areas?

If you were able to get those areas to dry naturally, then all you’d have to do is build the resin back up to the same thickness as the surrounding areas afterwards and sand it all flat so it matches.

possibly oversimplifying things there, but I suppose you can see how it goes, and trial that theory in a test area.

I suppose the wood could have started rotting too.

You’ll be busy for a while anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Delighted you found it fergal. Congrats.

I was afraid the zebra mussels would be a lot worse. It wasn’t that bad. Being upside down probably helped there as they couldn’t infiltrate the engine due to access being buried in the silt. I’ve seen them clog up pipes in water treatment plants and they are a nightmare. Could have been worse on that front.

best of luck on the rebuild. I think you’re right on the long length of rope and a buoy. No amount of buoyancy in a boat that size is going to keep up a v8

All my ducks in a row.

Start of the rebuild.

This is a gun cleaning kit very handy for getting into all the screw holes and cleaning the ports.

This is a handy bit of kit it's called a torque adapter and fits on to your socket set and you can pre program in all the different torques for the engine your working on.

I used an old distributor and adapted it so it will pump oil around the engine and up to the rockers.

I went with halfords classic for the break in this has ZDDP z for zinc and p for phosphorus this should protect the engine and sort of filler coat any imperfections.

One of those heart dropping moments when you have just finished rebuilding an engine and drop a bolt down the distributor hole. 🙄

lucky I was able to put a stick down with a blob of supper glue and get it back

what a relief was not looking forward to stripping the engine back down.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

That’s incredible looking Fergal.

did the engine get that level of cleaning/rebuilding when you initially got it? If not I’d say it’ll run better than ever now…

I’m getting nervous at the prospect of trying to service my own 19hp Volvo Penta!!

I'd say it did 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 17,861 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Unfortunately magnets don't work on most stainless steels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,861 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Great little yoke.

I got one in Lidl years ago and it has come to the rescue several times.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That's very impressive, @fergal.b, hats off to you. Yourself and @kadman are miracle workers, each of you with your respective rebuilds.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I’m guessing she’ll be back afloat again before the end of the summer?

I don't think it will be this year I'm hoping for a long hot summer to dry it all out I might remove all the epoxy so it can breathe.

I have to give a big shout out to West Systems epoxy I am supper surprised how well it protected the timber its like it was when I coated it first. 👏👏

👏

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Great to hear and see. I trust you wore plenty of respiratory protection doing that job.

I’ve used it on the canoe (different purpose obviously) so I can rest easy that the epoxy will be there long after the rest of the canoe has rotted away!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Like with the electric outboard you have again tested products to the extreme and the manufacturers should be grateful for the feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Only logged onto Boards the other day, for the first time in ages.

Delighted to see that she's been found!

Advertisement