Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

This is the greatest thread on boards, ever.

Purely on the news this weekend gone.

Delighted for you Fergal, looking forward to the lift, if its on a weekend I might spin up in my boat to watch the lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

This is just fantastic. So many times I'd see an update on boards but no progress. Logged in this morning and when I saw 48 new posts I started to get excited! Brilliant story, brilliant thread, really looking forward to following the recovery and restoration.

Well done Fergal, divers, and everyone involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭biketard

Same here! Saw the posts and thought "Could it be???". Really happy for you, Fergal! Congrats to everyone involved in the search!

Also can't believe how long it's been down there. If someone had asked me, I would've replied with, "Erm... somewhere around when lockdown started."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

brilliant news, really brightened my Monday morning to hear that she's been found after all this time!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Great interview. They didn't give you half enough praise!!

If yer man doubts your ability to get that boat up and running again, can I just refer him to the story of your cruiser! I will never forget you posting the first pic of that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Packrat

There are very very few things which give me lump in my throat - massive wrong or injustice to children or the weak, superhuman endeavour or persistence against all odds, that type of thing.

Congratulations you've brought a tear to this hardened old bxxtards eye.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Unknownability

• Registered Users Posts: 30 42inchchest

My first time logging in years just to say congrats Fergal, this cheers me up no end. Always kept an eye on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

When is the big lift expected ?

That will be a top secret mission 😎 this news has gone crazy and spread like wild fire with interested parties all wanting to be there for the lift so for the safety of the divers I will not be announcing when it's going to happen , but as I had such a loyal group of followers over the past 8 years any news will be posted here first.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You're better off Fergal.

As much as it would be very exciting & interesting to see and be involved with, a salvage is still potentially a very dangerous operation for those involved, especially the diving team, and the only people that need to be there are the only people that should be there...

That last thing anyone wants or needs is a flotilla of spectator boats in the area only adding to the already high levels of pressure that no doubt everyone will be under.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Will you try and have a dedicated camera operator there on the day for video?

I'm sure I can work out something to tickle your fancy 😉

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Definitely have to strap a GoPro to Old's Cool before the lift starts....

My head wont fit in the boat soon😎

You can download it here for 2 euros if you want to read it. https://skerriesnews.ie/product/february3rd23/...

😎

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

All praise is well deserved, @fergal.b, no big head in sight. If you had an inflated ego you could use it to lift the boat, but you definitely don't, so you'll have to resort to the usual means.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Absolutely delighted for you Fergal

Congratulations to all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Thud

Congrats Fergal, definitely work getting a few cameras involved, I'm sure there are some production crews that would be interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

We need to update thread title 😁

Could turn out to be the longest updated thread on boards 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

How does one raise a boat with a lot of wooden components from a depth of 30ft and has been submerged for 8 years, without it breaking apart?

How is that approached?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Can you design out the problem that caused it to sink?

Are you planning to rebuild it as it was before or do you intend to make any tweaks?

First question, she is coated in epoxy resin inside and out so hopefully the wood is not saturated and still has some strength , the fact that she is upside down is a good thing as she won't be full of silt and hopefully the oil will be sitting in the top of the engine instead of the sump. She is in a very wide part of the lake so very little movement under the water just a gentle flow down stream, if she does fall apart as long as I can get the hardware back I can rebuild the rest.

I will have to wait and see the hole to know if it was pushed in by hitting a log or something or pushed out by something in the boat like the motor stringer. Don't think I would change the design she is a racing boat so I will just put it down to a racing accident 😀 I will probably change me and have my phone in a zip lock bag but then again when I put the coordinates of where she sank 53.30 into Google it comes up nowhere near her more like 50.50 so I don't think Google history would have helped. Maybe make sure my backup boat has a GPS.

Look who's back look who's back. 😀 Big thanks you to the guys for bringing back to shore. Have to get buzzy now,talk later.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

We've waited so long for this moment!!

Huzzah!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Just saw the fb post and knew there’d be one coming in here

she looks in a lot better condition than I would have expected

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Doe Tiden

Great to see! From the picture it seems straight enough obviously a lot of work to do on it but could be a lot worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Wayhaaayyyyy!

Welcome back!

Looks in a lot better nick than I was expecting - but a nice project that I bet you're only dying to get stuck into 🤣

Advertisement