Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Only for your determination is she on dry land, fair play to you.

Some folk would have left her sitting where she was and never thought about it again.

Post edited by Lewis_Benson on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Followed this thread for ages. Delighted for you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Great news Fergal.

Looking forward to seeing you on The Tommy Tiernan Show sometime soon telling this story!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭Packrat

Super stuff. Well done.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

Congrats , I just heard , my brother in mayo told me and I live up the road from you.

this is the greatest thread ever made and the story continues.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Sorry no photos of the lift as I wasn't able to get down, I had told the guy's just to lift her when they had the time and weather window, when I arrived down at the weekend there she was😀  Great job they did too not a bit of damage even the windscreen was intact delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Great video, Fergal - nearly had me in tears!

Like I said on the Naomh Eanna thread, there is very little as sad as a neglected boat (not that yours was neglected, I hasten to add!).

I know which I'd put my money on to see back in action again though......

While you're making plans for her re-build, you should open a pop-up shellfish stall to raise some funds 🤣

Best of luck with the project - no better man!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

Great video, how much work is involved in remedying the cracked frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

You should put one of the pics in the cool pics thread in cool pics and videos forum

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭WildWater

You’re some man Fergal. Not hanging about. If anyone can get her back to her full glory it’s you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I might just put in a steal plate over it , might also reskin the bottom of the boat with 10mm ply so I can bounce off bigger waves 😁 all of my life in different boats I have been clinching my butt cheeks when hitting big waves thinking this boat is going to break well doing it in a flat bottom boat with a V8 pounding down caused my butt cheeks to be sucked up my face cheeks 😬.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

See the cracked frame in the slideshow, was this just from pounding?

Was water seeping through leading to you being swamped or did it catastrophically fail and go down straight away?

What sort of size is the damage to the hull, assumedly way bigger than any pump could manage to fight against?

I went down in less than a minute ,the hole is about a foot square where two sheets of ply were joined, I think when the frame pushed down on floor the movement off the water under the boat just ripped it off then once I was low enough the last wave just filled the boat .

How do you eat an elephant ? One small bite at a time :) So I started with the gauges, they just needed a bit of soldering and a good cleaning they are all good to go now.

That’s unreal. Nearly 8 years at the bottom of a lake and you have them looking like new.

Have you seen some of the engines he's restored? I wouldn't have said they were fit for the dump, and a week later you could do your make-up/shave* in them!

*delete as appropriate!

ETA - not to mention the cruiser he got lifted from the bottom of the marina - Old's Cool was in mint condition in comparison!!

I know he’s a genius but, even after all these years of following his projects, I’m still impressed.

Drying out the backup motor from the boat in my heating department

and then testing with the battery from the boat, all working fine. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

^^^^ That's the primary motor on our boat.

This is our back up motor :)

Hope to bring her home next week so I had to fix up the trailer and get it road ready after sitting for 8 years.

• Advertisement

Just about home and got a blowout, Not quite RedBull speed but 9 min's not bad.

Time to get my ass in gear or gears, Never did one of these before so I was a bit nervous but it turned out to be ok, lots of videos on YouTube to help out.

Jesus, Fergal !!! 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Tow

I assume you have stabilised (removed all water and flushed with diesel/oil etc) the engine?

Otherwise it will rust much faster once out of the water and exposed to oxygen.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Yep it's full of diesel and gets a little turn each day , should be fine till I get to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's very impressive.

What make and model is that electric o/board please ?

This is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks for that.

Sorry for interrupting your great work 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Heh

trolling motor.

I can see a LOT of AH and CA/IMHO users being interested in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Fair play to you Fergal. I've known people that would fix almost anything on a car but wouldn't touch a gearbox.

Is that dry clutch.? Looks like it is.

Edit: Yes I know it's a boat before someone says so but engine and gearbox most have.

Advertisement