Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Has anyone noticed that the Inver petrol station by the Kilmurray roundabout lowers their petrol prices at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Jose Maria

Interesting, I Didn't notice that, around what time at night? I did notice a lot of taxis filling up there the last few weeks alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

dashoonage wrote: »
    ya twas down last week as well. its to provide access and as suspected 3/4 of the fooking thing is taken up with huge cycle lanes and footpaths.

Yeah imagine that. Providing facilities for pedestrians and cyclists right next to a complex where 1,000 people work. Shocking stuff altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Vanquished wrote: »
    Yeah imagine that. Providing facilities for pedestrians and cyclists right next to a complex where 1,000 people work. Shocking stuff altogether!

hey...no problem with that as well as long as they proved roads for the 1000's of cars that use it every days as well! they can provide them with a monorail for all i care!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

dashoonage wrote: »
    hey...no problem with that as well as long as they proved roads for the 1000's of cars that use it every days as well! they can provide them with a monorail for all i care!

Build more roads, and you get more cars. And cars create problems. It's generally discouraged in transport planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

2016.06.28_can-of-worms-by-jason-crislip-jpeg1.jpg?cb=4fb814ca15948bec4fa250672e0db3f5

Berty wrote: »
    2016.06.28_can-of-worms-by-jason-crislip-jpeg1.jpg?cb=4fb814ca15948bec4fa250672e0db3f5

Hold on....when consumer reasonably can promote health ?

:D

Actually did you need read the news this morning. On the continent a new company is now selling Worm Meal meatballs and burgers so yeah I guess they are a healthy consumeable product seeing as they're mixed with chick peas and stuff.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/meat-insects-coop-essento-supermarket-2017-1?r=US&IR=T

*Random Waffle Thread at it's best today :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Jose Maria wrote: »
    Interesting, I Didn't notice that, around what time at night? I did notice a lot of taxis filling up there the last few weeks alright

I've seen lower prices around 11pm-12am when I've driven past. Googling suggests some places on the continent do this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Providing pedestrian/cycling facilities into a 4 lane road with no shoulders that's mainly used to access a motorway at a junction with no cyclist/pedestrian facilities whatsoever? Yeah how about that.

marno21 wrote: »

Providing pedestrian/cycling facilities into a 4 lane road with no shoulders that's mainly used to access a motorway at a junction with no cyclist/pedestrian facilities whatsoever? Yeah how about that.

And your point is? No pedestrian or cyclist facilities should be permitted here? Because this area should only accommodate the car?

There's a very strong case to heavily invest in bike, pedestrian and bus infrastructure between the city centre and Northern Trust, but there's feck all plans to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

zulutango wrote: »
    There's a very strong case to heavily invest in bike, pedestrian and bus infrastructure between the city centre and Northern Trust, but there's feck all plans to do so.

I agree. It should never have been given permission in the first place without the proper infrastructure.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I would be advising heavily towards improving public transport for the Northern Trust area, because it's totally car dependent and an absolute joke for traffic. This also applies to the wider UL/Castletroy area which is generating obscene traffic.

However, this slip road shouldn't have a footpath on it going towards the R527/N24, as there is no pedestrian/cyclist facilities on it from Northern Trust as far as the roundabout after the Ballysimon junction. It's very narrow for 4 lanes (no hard shoulder whatsoever), has no pedestrian crossings at the traffic lights and has lots of turning traffic. Instead, cyclist/pedstrian traffic should be accomodated on the old N24/L1171, which the Council are going promoting also with improved facilities. There are also no residences or access routes on the new R527 (bar motorway on/off ramps) so the cyclists would be going roundabout-roundabout anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Anyone know where the cheapest place to get photos printed in the city is? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭angiogoir

I'm more of a pancake man myself

However, this slip road shouldn't have a footpath on it going towards the R527/N24, as there is no pedestrian/cyclist facilities on it from Northern Trust as far as the roundabout after the Ballysimon junction. It's very narrow for 4 lanes (no hard shoulder whatsoever), has no pedestrian crossings at the traffic lights and has lots of turning traffic. Instead, cyclist/pedstrian traffic should be accomodated on the old N24/L1171, which the Council are going promoting also with improved facilities. There are also no residences or access routes on the new R527 (bar motorway on/off ramps) so the cyclists would be going roundabout-roundabout anyway.

Just to be clear, are you saying cyclists shouldn't be accommodated on the R527? This is the main and shortest route to the city. It doesn't make sense not to have segregrated cycle lanes here, imo.

Leaving earlier I could see that they are moving the hoarding at Northern Trust back to the fences so to re-open the lane eventually but it seems the road surface isn't finished. There is definitely some blacktop needed between the road and the new kerbing so not quite ready yet.

Still, will be nice to have better flow of traffic again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭phog

panda100 wrote: »
    Anyone know where the cheapest place to get photos printed in the city is? Thanks

Try Newman Cameras in Hogan's Chemist on Upr William St

• Advertisement

However, this slip road shouldn't have a footpath on it going towards the R527/N24, as there is no pedestrian/cyclist facilities on it from Northern Trust as far as the roundabout after the Ballysimon junction. It's very narrow for 4 lanes (no hard shoulder whatsoever), has no pedestrian crossings at the traffic lights and has lots of turning traffic. Instead, cyclist/pedstrian traffic should be accomodated on the old N24/L1171, which the Council are going promoting also with improved facilities.

New cycle lanes and footpaths are being added to the Garryglass road and the old Ballysimon road. This work is scheduled to begin in October. In order to ensure adequate connectivity from the Groody road to these new facilities, it's absolutely right that footpaths and cycle lanes are retained in the vicinity of the Garryglass roundabout.

This area will be the subject of heavy commercial and residential development in the coming years. There are suggestions that the new Castletroy secondary school will also be located there. It'll become an even bigger traffic nightmare if the mindset remains car-centric!

New cycle lanes and footpaths are being added to the Garryglass road and the old Ballysimon road. This work is scheduled to begin in October. In order to ensure adequate connectivity from the Groody road to these new facilities, it's absolutely right that footpaths and cycle lanes are retained in the vicinity of the Garryglass roundabout.

This area will be the subject of heavy commercial and residential development in the coming years. There are suggestions that the new Castletroy secondary school will also be located there. It'll become an even bigger traffic nightmare if the mindset remains car-centric!

Got any links to what this is going to look like?

There will be four pedestrian crossings slapped onto the roundabout by the end of the year....guaranteed. One of the busiest entrances/exits to the city. I wish they would start building pedestrian bridges instead of these crossings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Anybody else a patient of Dooradoyle Medical Centre? I'm quite happy with my GP there (and the practice nurse is lovely too) , but those receptionists just seem to be getting more and more rude. I have a couple of friends who are patients there too and that seems to be the general opinion. Surely it's not just us?

zulutango wrote: »
    Just to be clear, are you saying cyclists shouldn't be accommodated on the R527? This is the main and shortest route to the city. It doesn't make sense not to have segregrated cycle lanes here, imo.

Read the post again. Across my whole post I am referring to the R527 (N24) between the NT roundabout outbound past the M7 interchange as far as where it meets the old Ballysimon Roundabout at the roundabout not too far from Morrisons.

What I am saying is, there will be a pedestrian crossing on this new slip road and a pedestrian crossing across the 4 lane R527? Why not:

Build a pedestrian crossing across the Groody Road near the current Northern Trust bus stop. Make all pedestrians cross here, and then if they are crossing from the Groody Road across the NT roundabout to the Garryglass Road, they can do it on the side of the roundabout that has the R527 going towards town.

I'm aware this requires a crossing of the Bloodmill road also, but the R527 coming from the M7 is by far the busiest road off the roundabout and also the widest so would be difficult for an at grade pedestrian crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anybody else a patient of Dooradoyle Medical Centre? I'm quite happy with my GP there (and the practice nurse is lovely too) , but those receptionists just seem to be getting more and more rude. I have a couple of friends who are patients there too and that seems to be the general opinion. Surely it's not just us?

I am - and I must meet different receptionists because I've never noticed them being rude. They're nothing like my previous GP up the road, who's wife was the receptionist, immensely rude.

It took many many years but finally the Limerick Leader have quoted the Monorail in a story about Public Transport :D

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/city-view/266832/move-to-public-transport-in-limerick-can-become-viable-option.html#.WZ69KRoLciI.facebook

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Any interest round here in the McGregor/Mayweather fight tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Yeah will be watching it for sure. Can see nothing other than a Mayweather win. But still put a small bet on McGregor to win in the 4th for the craic.

Haven't they both already won? $100m each? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

Yeah is it being shown anywhere in Limerick City?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement