Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Did anyone see the fighter jet(s) flying over limerick on Saturday? I came on here thinking someone would have commented but nothing. Any idea what was going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Did anyone see the fighter jet(s) flying over limerick on Saturday? I came on here thinking someone would have commented but nothing. Any idea what was going on?

Foynes air show would be the best bet.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Spotted them alright.
    Foynes air show and Bray air show were working together on their displays this year so they were probably heading from one to the other.

Was spectacular this year so my aviation nut of a brother tells me. I've been to several airshows over the years with him, here and the UK. Raging I missed this one. I wouldn't be the biggest aviation fan but these shows are just incredible.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Taking the little guy to the skate park on the Dock Rd shortly. Where's the best place to park near there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

iguana wrote: »
    Taking the little guy to the skate park on the Dock Rd shortly. Where's the best place to park near there?

There's a pay and display area along steamboat quay, loads of spaces there at the moment.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Does Park Magic work along there or will I need to bring change?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Does Park Magic work along there or will I need to bring change?

I honestly have no idea, but I'd say bring change to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,805 ✭✭✭✭phog

There's are multi-story car parks near the Clayton and the Limerick Hotel

Be careful near Steamboat Quay as some of the on street parking is private and clamping is in operation

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

There's also a skate park in Castletroy with plenty of parking if that's any use to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Just want to have a quick rant about how ripped off with parking we really are in Limerick. I was in Killarney today and parked in one of the pay and display carparks. 60c for 2 hours and all day charge of €3. Meanwhile we're paying a minimum of €2 per hour for anywhere in town, and people wonder why Limerick is failing as a city and nobody wants to go in there? Parking charges certainly go a long way towards explaining part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Just want to have a quick rant about how ripped off with parking we really are in Limerick. I was in Killarney today and parked in one of the pay and display carparks. 60c for 2 hours and all day charge of €3. Meanwhile we're paying a minimum of €2 per hour for anywhere in town, and people wonder why Limerick is failing as a city and nobody wants to go in there? Parking charges certainly go a long way towards explaining part of the problem.

Its a bit of a rant alright...

Just one thing, parking costs €1 per hour in a lot of the city centre...it is the cheapest city centre to park in...maybe that's why the city is failing??

The problem the city centre has is that the Crescent gives it away for free!

Its a bit of a rant alright...

Just one thing, parking costs €1 per hour in a lot of the city centre...it is the cheapest city centre to park in...maybe that's why the city is failing??

Where can you get it for €1 an hour? Genuinely curious.
    It IS part of why the city is failing. I know the Crescent has free parking, but I'd be a lot more inclined to park in the city centre if I was getting 2 hours parking for 60c.
    if Killarney can do it, then why can't Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It IS part of why the city is failing. I know the Crescent has free parking, but I'd be a lot more inclined to park in the city centre if I was getting 2 hours parking for 60c.

There are large parts of the city centre where you get 2 hour street parking for one €2 disc....don't tell anyone but I often manage to squeeze an extra half hour/45 mins out of each disc!!

The parking issue for me is another non issue...I lived in Cork where the clampers almost follow you as you are looking for a parking spot!

It is one the cheapest city centres in the country to park in...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Killarney town centre is 1.50 per hour on street. Best compare like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

with the Limerick parking app you can pay for parking per 30 mins at 50c
    1hr at €1 and 2hrs at €2

parking has nothing to do with why the city is failing I'm seriously tired of hearing people spout that nonsense the city is failing because there aren't enough shops to draw people in. we have too many coffee shops and takeaways

There are large parts of the city centre where you get 2 hour street parking for one €2 disc....don't tell anyone but I often manage to squeeze an extra half hour/45 mins out of each disc!!

It's trying to find that elusive on street parking though that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,805 ✭✭✭✭phog

In one of the Twitter debates on the pedestrianisation of O'Connell St recently I saw one account making the point that the Crescent is proof that people want pedestrianisation as shoppers flock there, he forgot to mention the free parking and the covered "pedestrianised streets"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Just want to have a quick rant about how ripped off with parking we really are in people wonder why Limerick is failing as a city and nobody wants to go in there? Parking charges certainly go a long way towards explaining part of the problem.

Parking is a red herring. The city is failing because we have allowed low density urban sprawl. We built big health, educational and industrial institutions on the outskirts in the 50's and 60's. It made sense for many of the thousands of workers in such places to live nearby, so we allowed huge residential development on the outskirts also. And then we allowed large scale commercial development to boot. Now, we're at a point where most of the population is very spread out and car dependent. We've created a situation over the last half century where people with spending power don't live too near the city and now we expect them all to drive in and keep our city centre business afloat. It's amazing that people don't join the dots and just scream 'parking' as the problem. The city centre's travails are more to do with the wider malaise of very bad planning. The only way to properly fix it is to heavily invest in reversing the demographic trend by getting people to live in the centre again. That means getting jobs into the centre. And it means providing efficient transport links that enable the movement of most people (busses, bikes and in the long run maybe light rail) and it means restricting and not enabling the inefficient forms of moving people around (private cars).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

phog wrote: »
    In one of the Twitter debates on the pedestrianisation of O'Connell St recently I saw one account making the point that the Crescent is proof that people want pedestrianisation as shoppers flock there, he forgot to mention the free parking and the covered "pedestrianised streets"

It is also handier sometimes than going into town cause u are in & out in 2 mins. no real delay.
    But coming up to xmas now it will be nearly easier go to town. cause the cresent will be mental as usual. no parking left or parking everywhere & anywhere like they where on monday.It will take u ages to get in & out with the traffic there.Then there is suppose to be expansion then. where you going to park all the cars. if they keep taking away bits of the car park.??

• Advertisement

Anyone recommend a taxi company that would pick 5 people up in Bunratty at 2/3 a.m. on a week night and drop them out the Castletroy direction? Would you have to order that first or could you ring whenever you're ready?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Harambe wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a taxi company that would pick 5 people up in Bunratty at 2/3 a.m. on a week night and drop them out the Castletroy direction? Would you have to order that first or could you ring whenever you're ready?

Can't recommend any particular company but if you use mytaxi (formerly Hailo), you can set the pickup time. Also, all fares in Limerick are half price if you use this app and pay via card (until Aug 20th).

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I see Ivan Cremins died today - he was the guy behind Ivans in Caherdavin. RIP.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/264185/sadness-as-well-known-limerick-retailer-ivan-cremins-dies.html

Can't recommend any particular company but if you use mytaxi (formerly Hailo), you can set the pickup time. Also, all fares in Limerick are half price if you use this app and pay via card (until Aug 20th).

not to burst anyones bubble but i heard they were crap. between them not showing up & cancelling fares.
    just so you know what i mean.
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/mytaxiIE/reviews/?ref=page_internal

just so you wont be stuck in bunratty @ that time in Morn & cant get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Mr E wrote: »
    I see Ivan Cremins died today - he was the guy behind Ivans in Caherdavin. RIP.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/264185/sadness-as-well-known-limerick-retailer-ivan-cremins-dies.html

Sorry to hear that ...... :(

not to burst anyones bubble but i heard they were crap. between them not showing up & cancelling fares.
    just so you know what i mean.
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/mytaxiIE/reviews/?ref=page_internal

just so you wont be stuck in bunratty @ that time in Morn & cant get home.

Any other suggestions? I'll probably just ring 313131 tonight and see would I need to pre-book or just ring when I'm ready. I don't really want to pre-book because I don't know what time we'll be ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I haven't used a cab in a good while so can't really recommend anyone but have tried http://castletroycabs.com/

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Any other suggestions? I'll probably just ring 313131 tonight and see would I need to pre-book or just ring when I'm ready. I don't really want to pre-book because I don't know what time we'll be ready.

https://m.facebook.com/Plassey-Cabs-101067819935617/
    Seem to be good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

313131 have their own app also. Very good.

• Advertisement

Ended up ringing a taxi number that was displayed at the hotel check in desk in Bunratty at 4.30a.m. It was a crowd based in Shannon and they weren't happy about dropping us to Castletroy. Tried to charge €35 up front but I managed to get them down to €30.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement