Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Folks, does anyone know if the recycling centre in Shanagolden takes old motor oil? If not can someone point me in the right direction? My last 2 jobs had oil disposal facilities so I never once had to look for a place to get rid of it.

The recycling place in Mungret definitely does, along with old filters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Yeah. Fiver in for a car the last time I was there.
    Weee is free I think and I would have thought used oil would be but apparently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

That's where it was 10 years ago when I did mine. I assume it's still there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Any Raves on tonight?

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    Any Raves on tonight?

Ask Copper_Piiipe. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

That's where it was 10 years ago when I did mine. I assume it's still there
    Ya thats
    the place still

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Anyone ever seen something like solar glasses for eclipse watching in the city?

Almost full solar eclipse next Friday morning and would like a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Anyone ever seen something like solar glasses for eclipse watching in the city?

Almost full solar eclipse next Friday morning and would like a look.

These guys might be able to help you out

http://www.shannonsideastronomyclub.com

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Well this is embarrassing. There's a place not 5 mins from my front door in Newcastle West. Living here on and off for 8 years and never knew about it. €5 in and got rid of loads of junk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Anyone know that fella who walks around with his German pointer off the lead? I've never once seen it on lead or under his control.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,038 ✭✭✭✭phog

Anyone know that fella who walks around with his German pointer off the lead? I've never once seen it on lead or under his control.

What area of the city?

If it's not under his control how to you know he's with the dog?

phog wrote: »
    What area of the city?

If it's not under his control how to you know he's with the dog?

it's his dog. It follows him around but runs across the road. Runs after other dogs. And approaches children with food.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭jonski

There's a guy from Janesboro as well that walks a black and white dog off the lead all over town .

Anyone make their way to the band parade?

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Went in with the childers for about half of it. Was chilly! Band parade is not really my thing so can't say if it was better/worse than other years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Anyone know if the city buses are working on Tuesday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Had to listen to all the bands warming up and practicing outside my apartment all morning.Honestly, i think its the least pleasing sound in the world.

Parchment wrote: »
    Had to listen to all the bands warming up and practicing outside my apartment all morning.Honestly, i think its the least pleasing sound in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxnY2SWZTvk

I really like seeing the different cultural groups take part in the parade. Mixes things up after a few thousand kids walk by. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I like the band parade. It has a great atmosphere, most of the bands try to do something a different, like last year's crowd who did Gangnam Style or this year there was one who did Let It Go and another who did Thriller, complete with dance moves. And the Germans were good fun with their dancing. It's a short and sweet parade, doesn't go on top long and each band follows the next in good time.

It's more entertaining than the Paddy's Day parade. Because while today's parade certainly had some excellent parts, it's stuffed with boring filler and it goes on for way, way too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The crowd is always really boring for the main parade too. There's zero atmosphere up at the top of O'Connell Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Today's parade was for the most part, utterly boring and devoid of entertainment and creativity.

The best contributions came from the foreign groups.

So much for the new crowd behind the parade. Community groups and sports teams in uniform marching down O'Connell St does not make it a spectacle or in any way entertaining for the crowds. No floats even.

The whole thing needs a drastic overhaul.

We need more samba style. Probably have to move it indoors to the crescent or something to deal with the costumes in irish march weather but hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

The big plus in todays parade was that it was hell of a lot shorter than previous years.
    The Latvians provided a bit of colour and entertainment, the overfishing crew (seemed a bit of a left field entry but that's cool) were very well prepared and the kids enjoyed that.
    Not much else of note, it seemed to run smoothly and quickly though.

Over fishing is not a politically motivated negative float but water charges is a political, negative, float. And therefore verboten.

Interesting.

Over fishing is not a politically motivated negative float but water charges is a political, negative, float. And therefore verboten.

Interesting.

I did feel the fishing this was a bit much. Equally the party bus with the unenthuased old fella sitting in the back.

Why they can't have forty solid floats, root out groups if needs be, is beyond me. People would love to be asked to create something. If needs be disperse the kids among the floats. Everyone's involved but it's less boring.

1* fire truck, one float, one school, one float.

*and only 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,038 ✭✭✭✭phog

I did feel the fishing this was a bit much. Equally the party bus with the unenthuased old fella sitting in the back.

Why they can't have forty solid floats, root out groups if needs be, is beyond me. People would love to be asked to create something. If needs be disperse the kids among the floats. Everyone's involved but it's less boring.

1* fire truck, one float, one school, one float.

*and only 1!

You don't have to be asked to participate, you actually enter the parade by applying.

phog wrote: »
    You don't have to be asked to participate, you actually enter the parade by applying.

Yeah but seeking a group out would give a welcoming vibe. Pop into a polish shop or a church or a restaurant and ask if they and their group would like to put something together.

Poles etc might not feel like it's their place to participate but if they were asked it might stir up a bit of effort.

I'm not saying any of this is fact, they might not be interested, but it could help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

There was a few more decent parts to the parade than the two good bits that were on the news. I enjoyed the Clean Up Limerick crowd, they were nearly all in costume and had the big robot pull along 'float.' The charity that organises activities for special needs kids had two open top cars with Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Woody and Queen Elsa. It was probably fairly easy to put together but all the younger kids loved it. I think a stage school group had all the kids in bird costumes made from what looked like giant pompoms. And they had accompanying music that they were dancing to. They looked good, you could see the effort in the costumes and they were working to entertain the crowd. There was a group in medival costumes and some clowns and stiltwalkers (other than the parade marshalls) and a music school with kids playing music on the back of a decorated truck.

Some of these were better than others but they were all examples of an effort being made to entertain rather than just promote their club/company. If the parade had just been these groups, along with the bands, the good groups already mentioned and a small collection of the emergency service vehicles it would have been an entertaining 30-45 minutes instead of 2 hours of mostly boring groups. I think most spectators would prefer a short, effort filled parade over what we get each year. And there is no reason why many other groups can't still take part. They just should have to have themed costumes and some sort of party piece a bit more original than singing "Everywhere We Go..."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement