Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Lads/Ladies does anyone know of anywhere that does Spanish courses in Limerick with the aim of getting some recognised certification at the end of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Voy

They have some in LCFE starting next week. You get a FETAC certificate but don't know much about how recognised that is.

http://www.lcfe.ie/EVENING-PROGRAMMES/Language-Courses.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Voy wrote: »
    They have some in LCFE starting next week. You get a FETAC certificate but don't know much about how recognised that is.

http://www.lcfe.ie/EVENING-PROGRAMMES/Language-Courses.aspx

Not recognised in many European countries as a proper qualification. Having said that though, I would wholeheartedly recommend anything that gives a person a good grasp of another useful language.

If I had stuck with only being fluent in one language I would have missed out on working in some amazing countries and with some amazing people. Even here in Ireland I currently have work that because I speak a number of languages that I would have had no hope of getting if I only spoke english but had the same qualifications as I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

source wrote: »
    So after a thorough cleaning, I got the laptop back today.

Guess what...........I'm typing this on a USB keyboard. :rolleyes:

Turns out it was beyond repair. xsiborg any chance you could let me know where you found that keyboard in Limerick. I might take you up on your offer after the weekend if you're still willing.

no bother source, the name of the place is "pc repair centre" on davis street on your way up to the train station, you can contact them here:

http://laptopfix.ie/contact.html

the guy said that if you brought him in the laptop he'd have it fitted for you in 15mins so i assume thats why he was charging €50 (€30 for the keyb, €20 to fit, well, i'd hope that's what he meant anyway!) but given that there wouldn't be a high demand for the keyboard, maybe that's why so high.

you're after reminding me too that i have a spare 1GB stick of RAM here for the last two months after upgrading a laptop for another customer and as i was cleaning off a netbook for another customer last night it occurred to me that i could just throw in the spare stick of RAM to upgrade the netbook to 2GB to better handle windows 7, not so unfortunately as it only had the one slot, filled with the 1GB stick.

so anyway, long story short, im thinking if sarahbeep wants the 1GB stick it's all hers as im thinking she too has only 1GB in her netbook. my own netbook has the two slots so, it's possible. i don't think it'd go in your's source as your BIOS might be too old to recognise it, even with an update... :(

Kess73 wrote: »
    Not recognised in many European countries as a proper qualification. Having said that though, I would wholeheartedly recommend anything that gives a person a good grasp of another useful language.

If I had stuck with only being fluent in one language I would have missed out on working in some amazing countries and with some amazing people. Even here in Ireland I currently have work that because I speak a number of languages that I would have had no hope of getting if I only spoke english but had the same qualifications as I do.

I need something recognised abroad im afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

xsiborg wrote: »
    source wrote: »
    So after a thorough cleaning, I got the laptop back today.

Guess what...........I'm typing this on a USB keyboard. :rolleyes:

Turns out it was beyond repair. xsiborg any chance you could let me know where you found that keyboard in Limerick. I might take you up on your offer after the weekend if you're still willing.

no bother source, the name of the place is "pc repair centre" on davis street on your way up to the train station, you can contact them here:

http://laptopfix.ie/contact.html

the guy said that if you brought him in the laptop he'd have it fitted for you in 15mins so i assume thats why he was charging €50 (€30 for the keyb, €20 to fit, well, i'd hope that's what he meant anyway!) but given that there wouldn't be a high demand for the keyboard, maybe that's why so high.

you're after reminding me too that i have a spare 1GB stick of RAM here for the last two months after upgrading a laptop for another customer and as i was cleaning off a netbook for another customer last night it occurred to me that i could just throw in the spare stick of RAM to upgrade the netbook to 2GB to better handle windows 7, not so unfortunately as it only had the one slot, filled with the 1GB stick.

so anyway, long story short, im thinking if sarahbeep wants the 1GB stick it's all hers as im thinking she too has only 1GB in her netbook. my own netbook has the two slots so, it's possible. i don't think it'd go in your's source as your BIOS might be too old to recognise it, even with an update... :(

Cheers man, I'll get onto him mon or tues. I already have 2gb in my lappy.

Thanks again mate.

best i can find is this

http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/adult-and-continuing-education-courses/spanish.html

Sept - April 2013
    Sept April 2014

2014 is a long way away

I need something recognised abroad im afraid.

Cannot help with regards to Irish based centres of learning I'm afraid. I have German, Flemish (Belgian Dutch), Dutch, and Japanese to the level where I can operate on a personal/professional level and where I understand the nuances , along with French to a pretty decent level and passable french and Danish.

I learned all of mine (save for Japanese) in Liverpool or Germany and fine tuned them even further whilst living/working in the various countries.

Hell I even learned basic Irish outside of Ireland, and am probably at leaving cert level atm. It does sound funny with a scouse twang though as I have not mastered disguising the scouse in me when trying to speak Irish yet.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Voy

Actually think Japanese might even top that in a Liverpool accent.

Voy wrote: »
    Actually think Japanese might even top that in a Liverpool accent.

Luckily my accent is not a Jamie Carragher or Wayne Rooney type scouse accent. :D They would be to the scouse accent what the tracksuit accent over here would be to the Limerick accent.

My Japanese is pretty good and fairly neutral thankfully.:) My Liverpudlian accent is heavily tinged with a german twang from my time living in germany as I have lived in Germany twice and for a number of years each time as it was a good central location for me as my work at that time involved going to many of the surrounding countries. So it was easier to be based in one and commute than to up sticks every year or so. Needless to say that despite that I still became very accustomed to living in hotels, and I am still a bugger for getting wanderlust.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

who here enjoys a nice pie?

who here enjoys a nice pie?

would this have anything to do with a PIE (Perdormance Inference Engine)? :confused:

http://pam2000.cs.waikato.ac.nz/pdf_papers/pie.pdf

Ger from Limerick on Take Me Out (Irish Version) right now... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

beers hey...how subtle was this hint? will we get away with ignoring it?

NO!

(yeah, it was me :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

xsiborg wrote: »
    would this have anything to do with a PIE (Perdormance Inference Engine)? :confused:

http://pam2000.cs.waikato.ac.nz/pdf_papers/pie.pdf

i was actually referring to 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884

but close enough :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anyone for a singles' Beers during Valentine's week? :pac:

LOL

NO!

(yeah, it was me :p)

you left the last one early!!!

I'll make sure to have a disco nap next time around!

• Advertisement

I'll make sure to have a disco nap next time around!

a what now? is that some fancy jackine thing?

a what now? is that some fancy jackine thing?

Like Oh Em Gee! You don't know what a disco nap is?????

Sure all the hipster kids are doing it....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=disco+nap

Like Oh Em Gee! You don't know what a disco nap is?????

Sure all the hipster kids are doing it....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=disco+nap

disconap
    an old pervy guy that hangs around internet webboards in order to hit on any british girls that post
    "Ewww, that old guy just told me how cute he thinks my avatar is, what a disconap"

So your into old pervy british guys then?

awh nuts, that's me out then, now if you'd said a single beer... as that's about all i could handle of them craft beers! :o

oh, that reminds me, i was in BDJ's this evening (that's "the vineyard" off-licence in mount kennet for those who are wondering!) and i asked him would he be stocking craft beers, he said he was looking into it so i threw in a couple of names i remembered like erdinger and aspalls cider, and that "oh so easy to drink but blew my tiny mind" 1689 stuff! :D

on a side-note, the same BDJ's has some top-notch diner food, it's a diner now aswell as an off-licence, comes in handy as my wife is away for the weekend, that oven in the kitchen will be as clean come monday as it was this evening when she left! :P

disconap
    an old pervy guy that hangs around internet webboards in order to hit on any british girls that post
    "Ewww, that old guy just told me how cute he thinks my avatar is, what a disconap"

So your into old pervy british guys then?

??? That's so not listed on the first page anyway. Check the link again ;)

Ninja edit ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Since Munster won and the match WILL be in Thomond park(supposedly the 7th April) then hotels will be hard to come by.

Jurys Inn website went from €59 to €139 within 5 mins of the whistle although currently Lastminute.ie is €49 for the same night in Jurys Inn.

Get yourself a booking if you want to be in town that night.

BTW €10m to the city. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I heard that the qtr finals are being played on the 28th BB due to six nations

first time in the cinema in about ten years, but sure when you gave a 7 year old to entertain, what ya gonna do! :D bloody chipmunks for the next hour and half... :(

EDIT: broke a €50 to pay for admission, left the cinema with €10 + change! :eek:

does not compute! unless of course after the seriously salty popcorn they charge €2.80 for a bottle of water! double :eek: :(

meh, feck it, he enjoyed himself anyway... :)

*empties moths out of wallet* :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Can't find anywhere to find out if there is any good bands playing tonight, anyone else know? Nancys normally have and curragower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Riot in Cruises St at 6PM =\

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement