Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Brown Thomas used to be called todds. Cruises st used to be a hotel

o'connell st used to be called george's st. Anyone know why it was changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,845 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Mc Love wrote: »
    Brown Thomas used to be called todds. Cruises st used to be a hotel

Didn't there used to be a Bewley's there?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Didn't there used to be a Bewley's there?

Nope. Bewleys was where New Look is now. I remember being in Cruises Hotel. It was strange when one day it was knocked down.

Strange as well watching them rip down the Cinema on Henry St/Bedford Row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Cannocks used to be where Penney's is now and you had to be 23 to get into Ruby's (afaicr) disco in Cruises Hotel. 22 and you still weren't allowed in!

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Nope. Bewleys was where New Look is now. I remember being in Cruises Hotel. It was strange when one day it was knocked down.

Aaah ok, I always thought it was on the other side, next to Hickey's :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Aaah ok, I always thought it was on the other side, next to Hickey's :o

You young folk will never know the joys and woes of trying to eat a Full Irish breakfast in Bewleys on Cruises St at 4 in the morning AND then smoking indoors right afterwards. New Look is soo much smaller than it could be as the buildling itself is much much bigger than that. You used to be able to sit upstairs at the front and the back and be able to see out the windows.(such as windows would be).

Anyway MOAR random facts about Limerick ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Limerick City was founded in 1916 by non other than King Limerick, when he famously defeated the British with the wrong end of a sword.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    You young folk will never know the joys and woes of trying to eat a Full Irish breakfast in Bewleys on Cruises St at 4 in the morning AND then smoking indoors right afterwards.

One prominent memory from my childhood is my Mum and I nearly killing ourselves trying to carry our trays of sausages, baked beans and chips up the stairs. :pac:

Anyway, back to random facts.

The limerick form was popularized by Edward Lear in his first Book of Nonsense (1845) and a later work (1872) on the same theme. Lear wrote 212 limericks, mostly nonsense verse. It was customary at the time for limericks to accompany an absurd illustration of the same subject, and for the final line of the limerick to be a kind of conclusion, usually a variant of the first line ending in the same word.

Am I doin' it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭joanofarc

Anyone remember "winstons and besco's"? it was were guineys is now....and at one stage housed "king kinutes":D first official pound shop back in the day!
    Then there was powers small profit stores at top of william st...full of nic nacs:D
    And Maura's jewellers oppisite powers.....real jewellery...not like the cheap sh*t thats around now.
    Remember celia holman had a cloths shop near aubers....Old jack bourkes that used to be.
    Anyone remember the "bakers Kitchen" and the Galleon restaurants on o'connell st?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

anyone any idea what this is about?

just opened the pack now, i only noticed the picture on the outside when i pulled out that little note that was inside the pack...

Image018.jpg

i thought i'd actually won something as i pulled out the note, bitterly disappointed when i read:

"This pack is a Limited Edition design only. No change has been made to the blend.

damn! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭whistlingtitan

John Philip Holland and Irish man built the first proper submarine in 1897 called Holland 1

Any random facts about Limerick or the Munster region? :)

JP Holland was from Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭whistlingtitan

xsiborg wrote: »
    I hope that's smokeless coal.

oh stop, haha, you're after reminding me of mental images of that new airtricity advert, *cringe* :(

*awaits whistlingtitan to post some random trivia about fossil fuels* :D[/Quote

The USA uses 17 million barrels of oil a day
    5% of the worlds population live there but use 26% of the fossil fuels a day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Huh something I never knew! Limerick is surrounded by 'Woodcock' hill to the north.. Hehe 'cock' :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Huh something I never knew! Limerick is surrounded by 'Woodcock' hill to the north.. Hehe 'cock' :pac::pac::pac:

Wood :D:D

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

These past few posts make me feel old.

Sadly enough those comments made me giggle :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

They're opening a new University out that direction....

Meelick U.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

SarahBeep! wrote: »

They're opening a new University out that direction....

Meelick U.!

well as long as its not near 'meanus'! :eek:

Meanus, Co. Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭SnoopyGunner

Sylvester O'Halloran, a surgeon who made a huge contribution to the treatment of eye diseases, was born in Limerick. He also played an important role in the founding of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, among other achievements.

The bridge between the Potato Market and the Customs House is named after him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvester_O'Halloran

William Brooke O'Shaughnessy was also born in Limerick. He was the first person to advocate the therapeutic use of cannabis in Western medicine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Brooke_O%27Shaughnessy

A Limerick woman called Margaretta Eagar worked as a nanny and governess for the last Russian Royal Family, and wrote a memoir about her time with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaretta_Eagar

I remember reading that Limerick had more castles than any other county in the country. However, most are now ruins. I can't remember the name of the book. Does anyone here know if that's true?

No one cares Marsha :pac: Only joking :)

• Advertisement

Sylvester O'Halloran, a surgeon who made a huge contribution to the treatment of eye diseases, was born in Limerick. He also played an important role in the founding of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, among other achievements.

The bridge between the Potato Market and the Customs House is named after him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvester_O'Halloran

That's Poxy Shamrocks favourite bridge!!!

Cheers Cillian, kind as always :p:)

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    That's Poxy Shamrocks favourite bridge!!!

Ha ha cool! I always wondered what its name was but only found out when I read about O'Halloran lol

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Bored at 01:08 at night. I know I should just sleep, but I don't want to!

Anything exciting going on, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Anything exciting going on, anyone?

Work,.it's awesome

Insomnia :(

Ditto! Might try lying down and see if that helps.

Yes, good idea. I'll try the same. Hope it works because I don't want to be awake during the early hours counting sheep lol :)

Insomnia :(

Good news for insomniacs, only three more sleeps until christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Any random facts about Limerick or the Munster region? :)

This is pretty random, but quite fascinating. The mystery of the Monster of the Limerick Docks.

http://www.fustar.info/2007/05/27/249/

Believe it if ya like!:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement