Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 14 (FFXIV)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I never even reached 50 in the original game o_o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

I resubbed before the expansion even came out having never hit 50 either.
    Bought the expansion too.

Started a character from scratch and very much enjoying it actually. Only around level 30 on the main but having good fun. Will keep it going for a while yet seeing as I've quit wow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bought this for €8 over the weekend, with 30 days play time, and enjoying it so far.

Can you really level any class, with one character? How does it work? I'm lvl9 Lancer now, but can i just switch to a White Mage whenever i feel like it (assuming i have the gear and unlock the class)?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Essentially yes. You get to level 10 I think, and then do some RP quest for that class and bam. Job done! There are also some cross-class skills and "prestige classes" that use secondary and tertiary class skills. Of course... you've probably figured all of this out by now. ;)

Yup as Ivan said. Hit level 10 on your main and you're free to do whatever you want.
    There are plenty of quests to help get you through it. I've only done storyline quests for the last 6 levels as I was way ahead having done so many sidequests. Now I'm skipping them to save for alt classes.

At level 10, do your main class quest. Then they give you the option to be whatever you want. Visit any class guild and ask to join. Problem solved. They'll give you an initial quest and some basic gear. It's a good idea to hold onto some gear for this reason as you level. The armory bags are great for this.

You might not be able to get to some cities at level 10 for some of the guilds you want. Just keep doing the story and the airship will become available to you shortly after.

If you do run out of quests, do leves. Easy way to grind levels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, been playing around with it, and have gotten one or two of the crafting classes. Started as a Lancer, but i might try a few other classes to see if i prefer them before going any further.

If i decide to level a different class as a main, will it have any negative effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, been playing around with it, and have gotten one or two of the crafting classes. Started as a Lancer, but i might try a few other classes to see if i prefer them before going any further.

If i decide to level a different class as a main, will it have any negative effect?

Only that you need to spend time levelling them :pac:

Kiith wrote: »

You might lose some attributes. You get a point every other level I think that you can put where you want.
    If you have decided to level a melee character and decide you want to be a caster, you will be more designed towards melee (probably not by a whole lot but it depends if you want to be doing the max dps you can or whatever. Might not make any difference to you)
    That said, I think you can respec your attributes for a bunch of Grand Company seals so overall - no - no negative effect :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Noxin wrote: »
    You might lose some attributes. You get a point every other level I think that you can put where you want.
    If you have decided to level a melee character and decide you want to be a caster, you will be more designed towards melee (probably not by a whole lot but it depends if you want to be doing the max dps you can or whatever. Might not make any difference to you)
    That said, I think you can respec your attributes for a bunch of Grand Company seals so overall - no - no negative effect :pac:

Attribute points don't work that way, they're allocated by class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

I was talking to a friend who moved to Canada and was looking up crossplatform games since he has a PS4 and I cant seem to convince him to get a PC. This was on the list and looks pretty good so I think I'll pick it up minus the DLC for the moment, I take it there's enough in the base game to keep me busy for a while?

• Advertisement

Plenty yea.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Howdy folks. Nice to see this thread got a recent bump. Only back from Canada myself and stopped playing the game around 3 weeks after the Heavensward expansion came out. I was heavily focused on end game at the time and had just beaten Bahamut Extreme before they made I easier.

Now that I'm home I'm thinking of jumping back in for a bit. I'm on the Midgardsomr server but would be looking to get back into an EU Grand Company or even one with a decent Irish / UK group of players that would use TS3 or Vent etc. Any suggestions from those still playing? Naturally ill have to spend time catching up levels but I had nearly every class at 50 at the time (I had been playing since FFXIV 1.0)

Many others still playing on here? Any focused on endgame or is there enough content outside of high end dungeons to keep you busy? I was getting bored of the weekly grind for certain points for second tier gear etc. Is that still in place?

Anyways thanks for any new info etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

thinking of getting into this with a friend, really dont mind paying a sub so long as theres no cash shop/pay to win crap etc. Is there anything that sets this apart from say ESO, SWTOR. Is the story decent in it? much of a grind?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

FFXIV has a cash shop but only contains cosmetics and previously available seasonal items (ie, 2013 Halloween Event items, Xmas 2013 Items etc), Minions (which are a NPC doesn't do anything really...) and mounts (note: most of the mounts can be earned in the game and the ones that are not are mearly recoloured versions).
    Name changes, Fantasias (Race change, character customisation) is also available but that is the height of it.

I remember playing ESO briefly so I can't really comment on that. And SWTOR is a good if you are a fan of Star Wars, good content. I am playing FFXIV because A) It's the first MMO that I have got really into and B) I am a fan of the Final Fantasy series.

FF is known for it's story so you will find a great story and you will progress through it with the "A Realm Reborn" (ARR) expansion. New boss fights, new dungeons, harder dungeons. You will get from 1 - 50 from the "tutorial" and story. I believe they have increased the EXP rate because of the Heavensward (HW) expansion, so don't worry about levelling.

If you have the HW expansion, you will keep levelling to 60 after you hit 50.

As for the grind, that is mostly in current current. The game will be slow at the start, this is intentional...this is not to overload you will abilities and features If you were to start playing today (3/12/16), the current weapon "grind" will get nerfed and become a lot easier. (Current players will agree with the "Coming Into Its Own" Anima quest ;) )

One thing that sets it apart from WoW, SWTOR etc is that you will only need 1 character to do everything.
    You can switch between being a tank, a healer, a DPS, a crafter or a gatherer at your pleasure. For example, I started playing as a Warrior tank and now I am a Bard (Archer) DPS.
    Each class though will need to be levelled to 60. (Note: There is currently 23 classes (inc Gathering and crafting classes))

Dungeons are approx 20 mins (depending on group) which consists of 4 players (AKA "Light Party" which is made up of 1 Tank, 2 DPS and a healer) You can be Level synced which means that you will only be able to use certain skills that you have at that level. For example Sastasha is a Lvl 15 dungeon and is Level Synced at 19, so if you are 20 or higher, you will be brought down to Level 19 (Gear, Abilities, Health Pools included)

"Hardcore Raiding" Content - I call it "Hardcore Raiding" as this is harder than the 4 man dungeons and the 24-man "Casual Raiding". It has 8 members (AKA "Full Party" which consists of 2 Tanks, 2 Healers and 4 DPS) which is where the "Raiding Scene" is. You will hear about "T13" (Turn 13 or "The Final Coil of Bahamut: Turn 4) or A12S ("Alexander - The Soul of the Creator (Savage)") - This requires co-ordination and in some cases theorycrafting (Think it of Mythic raiding in WoW)

"Casual Raiding" Content which is 3 x Full Party Groups in fairly simplistic content. The gear from this can help you with getting into the Hardcore Raiding scene.

There is a boatload of ways to level up and there is loads of fun to have (The Gold Saucer having a lottery system and Chocobo races).
    Apartments, FC Housing (Guild Houses)

Oh, do you have friends who play on the PS4? Well, you can play with them too. FFXIV players on PC can play on the same servers as PS4 and visa-versa.

What I highly suggest you do is try out the Free Trial. 14 days...Play until Level 35.
    http://ffxiv-freetrial.com/en/
    Free Trial Terms

Note: I don't work for Square-Enix, I am just a massive fan of the game.

(Didn't realise this post was so long, sorry :P )

wow thanks for the awesome reply, seems to have a really interested fan base which is always a good start in any game. Will give it a shot over xmas :)

Bought it today, any tips for starting out?

Follow the Main Story, you will get level locked and you will be forced to do sidequests before continuing.

Do your Hunting Log. Do your class quests every 5 levels. Start your 2nd class required for the job (Which class did you choose?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

In case you haven't found it yet, you should become acquainted with the ffxiv subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/

ArthurG wrote: »
    In case you haven't found it yet, you should become acquainted with the ffxiv subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/

And if I may add, join their Discord server. Fantasic people.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Diazou

Hello, i have stopped to play FF 14 some months ago. Do you know if we can have some free days of game time ?

• Advertisement

gfd0120 wrote: »
    Hello, i have stopped to play FF 14 some months ago. Do you know if we can have some free days of game time ?

There is the "Free login campaigns" that happens after a new major patch is released and also the "Welcome back campaigns", which you should get notification about via email if you were a previous subscriber.

Outside of that, there isn't any way to get free time

If you are playing on PC and have a PS4, picking up a copy of Heavensward for PS4 will grant you 30 days subscriptions!

gfd0120 wrote: »

New expansion out in June. Good time to catch up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Currently playing the free trial with a level 5-6 Lancer. One thing thats bugging me that i can't seem to find in the settings is the floating text for damage sustained. I want to remove it! I always remove it in all MMORPGs i can but just can't find the option here, so much so that im actually thinking about re-rolling to a ranged class! Any help?

Currently playing the free trial with a level 5-6 Lancer. One thing thats bugging me that i can't seem to find in the settings is the floating text for damage sustained. I want to remove it! I always remove it in all MMORPGs i can but just can't find the option here, so much so that im actually thinking about re-rolling to a ranged class! Any help?

I don't think you can turn it off.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Ok found a way to turn it off but it also turns off your damage. I have it on for now as im playing a Black Mage and its fine, i don't even notice it anymore. Lots of other onscreen clutter that i had to turn off like nameplates and such. Overall im liking it. Just hit 40 on my Black Mage. I like the idea of one character having access to all classes. If i ever do make it to max level i'm going to level either a tank or healer for sure.

Not sure about the other classes but the current rotation for the Black Mage is really simple but otherwise im liking the leveling experience as it offers a huge amount of ways to level which keeps its fresh.

So yeah, good game cant get enough of it. All my single player games are crying in a corner as i don't want to play anything other than this :D

This was what I got to see of the game over the weekend:
    DCjAS3yXcAApEWR.jpg

Heh. Expansions are fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Earthday

heard people are having server issues and bugs at launch day. did se get it fixed yet?

Earthday wrote: »
    heard people are having server issues and bugs at launch day. did se get it fixed yet?

They were under ddos for a while which caused issues but there was some sort of instance bug going on as well. afaik - it's fixed but don't quote me on that as I've not played much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

this worth jumping into now? need a new game for a few casual hours here and there, don't fancy going back to wow.

• Advertisement

copeyhagen wrote: »
    this worth jumping into now? need a new game for a few casual hours here and there, don't fancy going back to wow.

It has a free trial on the main website so if you're interested, you should give it a go to see what you think of it.
    Some love it. Some don't.

Advertisement