Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Irish a dead language?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

owenc wrote: »
    lol do yous really think that irish will expand, it'll be gone within 500 years.
    It is expanding. Dont choke on that sand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

lol do yous really think that irish will expand, it'll be gone within 500 years.

Wishing thinking, aye Owen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

dlofnep wrote: »

Whatever i'm not going to argue with yous two, you go on and on and on and its doing my head in, everytime i post a point yous go against it in some nationalist way.

Whatever i'm not going to argue with yous two, you go on and on and on and its doing my head in, everytime i post a point yous go against it in some nationalist way.
    Shock!!!! someone has refuted your points?

Yes, the purpose of this forum is to be in uniform agreement with Owen.

For Gods sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Not really. If you think five hundred years ago 90-95% of the population spoke irish. Now only 2-3% speak Irish.

That is a fall of 88-93% in the space of five hundred years. I doubt it will be around in another five hundred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,481 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It "exists" so it's not dead.

But we should stop wasting so much taxpayer's money so a few people can feel smug about speaking it. It should also be removed as an entry requirement to uni/mandatory on leaving certificate.

Can speak and read the language to a fairly high level, but haven't needed to since finishing the LC for what it's worth.

Would much preferred to have spent the time getting more in depth with French or be able to learn Chinese/Japanese/Spanish/German instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Not really. If you think five hundred years ago 90-95% of the population spoke irish. Now only 2-3% speak Irish.

That is a fall of 88-93% in the space of five hundred years. I doubt it will be around in another five hundred.

In some form it will be. Like we have now for physical artefacts in museums in 500 years I can envisage some form of cultural museums where things like languages are kept/stored/remembered.

You can make the 500 years argument about any language also, English has also changed drastically in that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The reason the language fell, was due to a number of factors. The language was banned in the national schools which meant less access to the language in education. The famine also killed off the majority of Irish speakers.

I don't think you can predict the future of the language based on that. You need to look at the language in a modern context. More and more people are speaking it, there is improved access to irish language media, and a new plan to improve the way the language is taught. There is no evidence to suggest the language is going to get weaker. It is now seen as a progressive, and modern language - and society in most part is reacting to it as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Here we go again. You are wrong, it is not dead, there are thousands of native speakers.

It's not a first language for anyone - I mean you have to speak English in this country or any other language - where will you get with Irish? Ah nowhere. Irish is a complete waste of taxpayers' money - we waste so much money translating stupid bills into Irish, who reads them? Probably just a handful.

If you want to learn it, then fine - go do it on your own time, but I don't want my PAYE being spent on keeping a language going which is practically extinct anyway. We have plenty of other issues to deal with in Ireland that need the money rather than wasting it on the ****e that is the Irish language. I did Irish for 14 years in school and can I even remember how to speak it now? Hardly, how pointless is that. At least I can remember some French and German and they'd actually stand to me if I went to one of those countries. How on earth is Irish helpful to anyone? It's not. It's useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Haha, 1,095,830 Irish speakers in 1991?? The people in the census office must be joking. That figure is very obviously wrong.

These are the figure presented by the Census. In your opinion the figures are wrong and when you present a source for your opinion I will agree completely.

Why? If it is possible to like a language why is it astounding to dislike a language? Not that I dislike irish. I just find it pointless and a relic of a long gone time.

I selected the word dislike as the most moderate expression. It is not a relic of long time gone if it is still in use. It may not be in use by you or myself for that matter but it doesn't mean it is not in use.

Just because there are more other services wasting tax payers money it does not mean Irish isn't also a waste of tax money. Surely you can see how saying "yes irish is a waste but here are other wastes to deal with first", is a bit silly?

I said "If" you think it is a waste of tax payers money. I don't have that opinion. I think the money could be better spent to promote the language.

This gets on my nerves to no end. It is not our native language. It is your's if you want it to be but do not call it our native language.

If Ireland is your nationality Irish is your national language. English is the second language.

This is enshrigned under Article 8 of BUNREACHT NA hÉIREANN, otherwise known in English as the Irish Constitution.

Article 8
    1. The Irish language as the national language is the first official language.
    2. The English language is recognised as a second official language.

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/attached_files/Pdf%20files/Constitution%20of%20Ireland.pdf

• Advertisement

CoalBucket wrote: »
    If Ireland is your nationality Irish is your national language. English is the second language.

This is enshrigned under Article 8 of BUNREACHT NA hÉIREANN, otherwise known in English as the Irish Constitution.

Article 8

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/attached_files/Pdf%20files/Constitution%20of%20Ireland.pdf

How out of date is that article? When was it written, in the 1500s?

Irish is not our official language, and English is not the second language - English is our first language. If that was the case, then why isn't everything in Irish? Sounds to me like that Article 8 needs to be updated, it's BS.

The reason the language fell, was due to a number of factors. The language was banned in the national schools which meant less access to the language in education. The famine also killed off the majority of Irish speakers.

I don't think you can predict the future of the language based on that. You need to look at the language in a modern context. More and more people are speaking it, there is improved access to irish language media, and a new plan to improve the way the language is taught. There is no evidence to suggest the language is going to get weaker. It is now seen as a progressive, and modern language - and society in most part is reacting to it as such.
    There was no indication that irish would die out five hundred years ago either but it more or less has now. Thing is we can't see the future. Maybe the language will by some miracle have a total revival and my great grand-daughter will speak Irish natively just like my great grand-father did, (thank you 1911 census). But I seriously doubt it.

But just since you mention the new plan for Irish education here in the south I honestly think it is the worst thing they could possibly do. As a person who did his leaving cert this year I can honestly tell you the pressure before the Irish oral exam is far worse then the pressure before the actual exam. I believe resting 40% of the students results on a 15 minute exam is not only blatently mean but rather un-fair also.

These are the figure presented by the Census. In your opinion the figures are wrong and when you present a source for your opinion I will agree completely.

I selected the word dislike as the most moderate expression. It is not a relic of long time gone if it is still in use. It may not be in use by you or myself for that matter but it doesn't mean it is not in use.

I said "If" you think it is a waste of tax payers money. I don't have that opinion. I think the money could be better spent to promote the language.

Article 8

They were born and bread to a english speaking family so their native language is english and you cannot tell them otherwise.

There was no indication that irish would die out five hundred years ago either but it more or less has now. Thing is we can't see the future. Maybe the language will by some miracle have a total revival and my great grand-daughter will speak Irish natively just like my great grand-father did, (thank you 1911 census). But I seriously doubt it.

But just since you mention the new plan for Irish education here in the south I honestly think it is the worst thing they could possibly do. As a person who did his leaving cert this year I can honestly tell you the pressure before the Irish oral exam is far worse then the pressure before the actual exam. I believe resting 40% of the students results on a 15 minute exam is not only blatently mean but rather un-fair also.
    I did my LC this year too, and I felt that the aural and oral were the least stressful part of the exam. Higher or ordinary?

They were born and bread to a english speaking family so their native language is english.
    The first language is Irish. It says so in the constitution.

So you are willing to believe every piece of bullshít that comes from the governments mouth? No wonder you support the continued waste of tax-payers money.
    But it is still a relic. A relic in use is still a relic.
    Ok then can you give me pragmatic reasons why Irish is worth every penny it recieves? And notice I wrote pragmatic.

Article 8

I know what is wrote in the constitution thanks. I have a copy as home. Either way the language of the state is not my native language. Ok?

Their language is english. Its stupid saying that the first language is irish whenever 100,000 only speak it when well over 4 million speak english.

I did my LC this year too, and I felt that the aural and oral were the least stressful part of the exam. Higher or ordinary?
    You're crazy.

Their language is english. Its stupid saying that the first language is irish whenever 100,000 only speak it when well over 4 million speak english.
    So then you feel the constitution is stupid then.

It could say in the constitution that I am a cloud. That doesn't mean I am a cloud.

• Advertisement

You're crazy.
    Ha, not at all. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw paper 2, give me the oral any day!

Don't put words in his mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

tinkerbell wrote: »
    How out of date is that article? When was it written, in the 1500s?

No it was enacted by the people of Ireland in 1937. It's most recent ammendment was in 2004.
    Irish is not our official language, and English is not the second language - English is our first language.

Em again The Constitution of the state disagrees.
    If that was the case, then why isn't everything in Irish?

Indeed :)
    Sounds to me like that Article 8 needs to be updated, it's BS.

Which other articles of the constitution do you think are Bulls*** ?

Yes its the most i****** thing i've seen in my life.

give me the oral any day!
    :pac:

^^ Yep. If the constitution is right then why are all our tv shows in English? Why is most of RTE programming in English? Why doesn't Brian Cowen address the nation in just Irish and not English?

Just because the constitution says it's the native language, doesn't mean it's right - it's a whole load of BS that's what it is!

Don't put words in his mouth.
    Yes its the most idiotic thing i've seen in my life.

Lucky guess I think.....

:pac:
    Haha, either way it was better than paper 2!

Lucky guess I think.....

Are you trying to get me banned.

• Advertisement

Which other articles of the constitution do you think are Bulls*** ?
    Dunno, I have no interest in reading the constitution - none at all. So all I've read on it is what quoted here as Article 8.

So maybe I'd think more of it was BS if I actually read the thing - but that ain't likely to happen.

I'm not gonna sit here and pretend I read it, I don't - doesn't bother me in the least :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement