Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of fuel in Co.Wexford..Where's the cheapest/dearest fuel?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

In a household that uses a 60 litre tank per week and uses 1,500 litres of kerosene in their heating- a 1c means over €55 p/a if you look at the best buying times this saving could be increased beyond €200 p/a (over 4c per litre) which is not be sneezed at.

In fairness.. you've jumped from 1c to 4c in this latest example.

You original point was "1c is actually quite a lot" which I'm telling you is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

vicwatson wrote: »
    Nah not true.

The FAR majority of motorists go the shops, to work, to footie training, to whatever etc etc and a 1c difference means diddly to them over the year.

Can't agree with you there, the two cheapest stations in Gorey are by far the busiest, motorists pass two stations on the Arklow road to get to Great Gas which at the moment is only 1c cheaper.
    Since the peak prices earlier this year, petrol has dropped by approximately 16c/litre in my local station. On the mileage I do, that's a saving of €300p.a. which, at current rates will pay my property tax for the next four years. The decrease was mostly in 1c and 2c moves, so it's not that 1c is insignificant, it's the cumulation of all those 1cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The problem with all these 1c here & there increases is that they stay on and the next increase is topped up.The prices have crept up & up so now we've become conditioned to think that 151.9c is a good price for a litre of petrol whereas 125c per litre should have been the more realistic price.Even when the wholesale cost of oil almost halved a few months ago the price at the pumps dropped by about a cent or two and overnight it jumped up again.

The most expensive garage in Enniscorthy is the nearest to the highest concentration of the population,they have a captive market as people fill up in the morning and evening on their way to & from their daily business.I'm sure if a cheaper alternative opened 500m away,everyone would head there.Each morning you can witness the commuters to Dublin filling up in Ferns as it's usually 4 or 5c a litre cheaper.

Anyhow,cheapest in Enniscorthy is 156.9 @ Donohoes, Hempfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

156.9 petrol in New Ross too - am eagerly awaiting this price drop forecasted by Mr Ewing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 JR Ewing

Any petrol/diesel price decreases in your area yet? You should be starting to see them reduce to between €1.50-1.529 Petrol & €1.44-1.469 diesel either by now or in the next few days- if they havent reduced the prices by Thur/Fri then you can assume they are taking the decrease in wholesale price as extra margin this week.

Prices are relatively stable at the moment and may even reduce further IF the Euro continues to strengthen against the dollar. I will try to keep you up to date as best I can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

No. No change in good ole Enniscorthy surprise surprise...

153.9 petrol, 146.9 diesel in Mace Courtown since last week. The dearer stations in Gorey, Maxol and Esso have dropped to 155.9, 147.9, the same as Applegreen. Great Gas is 156.9, 146.9 but I'd say these last two will drop in the next day or so, passed an Applegreen tanker in Gorey tonight and both usually get their fills from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Got €1.53 for unleaded in clonroche on tuesday, cheapest ive seen nearest to Enniscorthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

No change in Enniscorthy, gone up if anything!!

What are the prices in Ennsicorthy? Petrol & Diesel?

• Advertisement

Just saw a petrol reduction from 156.9 to 154.9 in one of the busiest New Ross Service Stations -

JR Ewing wrote: »
    What are the prices in Ennsicorthy? Petrol & Diesel?

Top @ Island Rd, 153.9 for petrol and 149.9 for diesel.Cheapest in town yesterday.

Maxol @ Bellfield, 157.9 petrol & 150.9 diesel.

Kavanagh's on Island Rd. is still in la-la land with petrol & 163.9 & diesel for 153.9.

Not sure of other prices having changed as those were the ones I saw yesterday evening.

BTW: Applegreen,Ferns and the 3 stations in Camolin are all 151.9 for petrol,think diesel is 145.9.

Not sure about the TOP diesel price there Zerks... 143.9... I was getting excited.

It's actually 149.9 unfortunately :(

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Not sure about the TOP diesel price there Zerks... 143.9... I was getting excited.

It's actually 149.9 unfortunately :(

Yeah,my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Chess.

Petrol is 1.54 in Mace, Ballinaboola atm, not sure about Diesel I'm afraid

152.8 and 144.8 in Applegreen Gorey, 153.9 and 145.9 in Great Gas.

A quick look in the Motors Forum led me to check out pumps.ie for latest prices: Applegreen in Urlingford is 145.8 for petrol & 142.8 for diesel as of Friday,that's 10c a litre cheaper than some places in Co.Wexford & there was me thinking 153.9 @ the Top station on Island Rd. was reasonable.

Driving into Carlow from Enniscorthy, along the Tullow Road, there is a small petrol station on the right hand side which is selling diesel for 142.9 (didn't catch the petrol price, will suss it out this evening).

The have a sign up saying 'Supplied by Applegreen' or something to that effect.

Seriously low price, maybe just an introductory thing.. I don't recall seeing the Applegreen sign prior to this low price introduction.

Doubled checked it again last night.. defo Applegreen and selling Diesel for 142.9, can't be much dodgy about that. Some of the other retailers around Carlow are selling for 143.9 and usually Applegreen go a cent under their rivals.

Strangely enough, Applegreen in Bunclody are 3c more expensive at 145.9.

• Advertisement

DSC09937_zpsb9e5ca86.jpg

Saw in incredible 150.8 unleaded today in Ferns - Applegreen -

Diesel down to 143.9 in Bunclody, 142.9 in Carlow.

We're getting all excited at a drop... rest assured it'll be back up, probably higher in the next few months.

Diesel prices ranging from 141.9 to 143.9 in Carlow / Bunclody... still 149.9 in Enniscorthy.

I'm hoping J.R. can explain that one... weeks have passed since his price drop forecast, which indeed was correct... just not for Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Is it still 1.50.8 in Ferns? Will be passing through there tomorrow and will fill up en route to the Big Smoke.

First of all a bit more good news is that prices look like actually falling again due to the continued weakness of the dollar- that is wholesale price will drop- whether or not these reductions are passed on is a matter for each station.

With regard to prices in Carlow- 1.419? I wouldn't be able to drive by fast enough......that is less than what the wholesale cost of road diesel was yesterday. Legitimate suppliers may have to reduce to 1.439 just to try not to loose too much business but a margin of less than 2c per litre is unsustantainable.

Having said all that 1.499 is a bit high at the moment and would be profitable for any station that can get it. I would have thought that 1.45-1.47 would be a fair price for legitimate product which should reduce by approx another 1.5c per litre early next week.

It is often a funny situation in that fuel landed in Dublin has to be then hauled by road around the country. Technically this haulage cost is almost nil for delivery in the greater Dublin area but would cost approx 1.25c per litre to Carlow and perhaps 1.75-1.9c per litre to Enniscorthy or Wexford. Sometimes this can account for small differentials but not the 7-8c which a previous poster mentioned.

Just also noticed that home heating oil "appears" as it can purchased cheaper in Co Wexford at the moment than in the bandit border counties??? What did the advertisement say "....dodgy....very suspect.....!!". As I always remind people price is only 33% of the deal- what about the quality/origin of what you get? Or how much of it you "actually" get? Be very careful as when things look too godd they generally are.

With regard to prices in Carlow- 1.419?

It's Applegreen, they have recently taken over at Devoy's Garage on the Tullow Road.

Why not compare the prices in Enniscorthy with a bona fide Applegreen site

Some sample diesel prices ->

Applegreen Bunclody 143.9
    Topaz Carlow 143.9
    Texaco Bunclody 146.9 (I think, will double check on the way home)
    Topaz Enniscorthy 149.9

I mean... you can drive out to Boolavogue and get diesel for 149.9 in the local shop... and that's practically in the ar$ehole of nowhere.

I tell you what I'll do... I stop today, take a pic of the new Applegreen site in Carlow and go into the shop and see if they'll take my Applegreen card. I never actually said it was legit, it just very much appears to be given all the formal branding that is visible outside. It's certainly not one mickey mouse sign, they have the same signage that was used when the Bunclody operation was being converted. I wouldn't get fussed about their site straight away... many Irish websites are chronically bad at being kept up to date.

Nah, Econfuels in Bunclody are at Enniscorthy rates these days and they're not competing much at all of late.

Applegreen Bunclody have been progressively dropping their prices over the last 4 weeks from 148.9 down to 143.9 irrespective.

The Texaco down the road is in the middle of EconFuels and Applegreen at 146.9

Actually... I had forgot: I spotted an Applegreen branded fuel tanker delivering fuel to the Carlow Applegreen two weeks ago.

• Advertisement

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Actually... I had forgot: I spotted an Applegreen branded fuel tanker delivering fuel to the Carlow Applegreen two weeks ago.

Enough said so. Sound for that- always good to know what is going on in different places. You could nearly take advantage of the 1.419 so as I can assure you that is unreal (and unlikly to be beaten even after price falls- unless of course they pass them on as well next week to keep the pressure on Topaz)- the whole sale cost yesterday was a fraction of a cent less than that and even today is less than 0.5c less than 1.419. Just worked it out there- on a 60 litre fill they would stand to make 27.6c total profit or on €20 they would make 6.5c!! Jesus H!! LOL!

Keep us updated with price movements in the area as it is always informative.

Advertisement