Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruitment Freeze - The Official Word

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I am pleased to hear that AC's are continuing - it may indicate that they intend to complete the Deloitte side of things completely ( chances are Deloitte would have to be paid in full anyway ).
    The advantage to this is that it would imply that the all-important merit list will be done and published , as has been said many times before a Pass letter is of little value - what you score at AC and your Merit placing are the really important things. If we get to learn our scores and merit placings we can make informed choices and decisions as to whether to chuck in the towel or keep hanging on.

I'm sure we all agree it would be brutal to wait a year or however long the freeze is to then get a Dear John letter - I really hope they do the right thing and prevent this.

delancey42 wrote: »
    I am pleased to hear that AC's are continuing - it may indicate that they intend to complete the Deloitte side of things completely ( chances are Deloitte would have to be paid in full anyway ).
    The advantage to this is that it would imply that the all-important merit list will be done and published ,

Who sends out the breakdown score we were due to get in Aug? I'm pressuming it's done by Deliotte and not the PSNI? If the remaining ACs are indeed continuing as delancey said it looks like Deloitte's part in this will be wrapped up regardless of the freeze... therefore you would imagine we will still get our scores atleast. Even if we were not given our merit scores, I would feel a whole lot better just getting the breakdown so that if it's not great I can prepare myself for failing after all!

Actually, if ACs are being rounded up, and we do get our breakdowns, surely they would then still send out those dreaded afterthought Dear Johns because that would still be done by Deloitte, no???

Who sends out the breakdown score we were due to get in Aug? I'm pressuming it's done by Deliotte and not the PSNI? If the remaining ACs are indeed continuing as delancey said it looks like Deloitte's part in this will be wrapped up regardless of the freeze... therefore you would imagine we will still get our scores atleast. Even if we were not given our merit scores, I would feel a whole lot better just getting the breakdown so that if it's not great I can prepare myself for failing after all!

Actually, if ACs are being rounded up, and we do get our breakdowns, surely they would then still send out those dreaded afterthought Dear Johns because that would still be done by Deloitte, no???

Score breakdowns are sent out by Deloitte along with a feedback report an your AC performance ( worthless IMO ). As for the afterthought Dear Johns I don't actually know who sends them out because I never got one - can anyone throw any light on this ?
    You have to contact PSNI recruitment for the merit place you have scored - I cannot see why they would not be able to do this anyway regardless of the freeze. It certainly gives people the chance to avoid hanging on when in fact their chances are very slim/non-existent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

I agree about the breakdowns if it is anything like when I tried in 2004.Non-specific detailing for each of the competencies.(Consensia)
    PSNI send out the Dear Johns.

Poor chunkerz...a good dose of immodium should sort out that case of written diarrhoea:D..Please use punctuation....I have a headache rereading that and trying to work out what you were conveying:(

• Advertisement

cesc77 wrote: »
    I agree about the breakdowns if it is anything like when I tried in 2004.Non-specific detailing for each of the competencies.(Consensia)
    PSNI send out the Dear Johns.

Thanks , I din't know the Dear Johns came from PSNI - I thought it might have been Deloitte.
    I remember being so excited getting my feedback last year - jesus it was such a dissappointment - standard stuff identical to everyone else - waste of time and paper.

Thanks , I din't know the Dear Johns came from PSNI - I thought it might have been Deloitte.
    I remember being so excited getting my feedback last year - jesus it was such a dissappointment - standard stuff identical to everyone else - waste of time and paper.

Soo...it's not a exactly a "detailed breakdown report" as promised? Ach I was looking forward to it :rolleyes:
    Would it not atleast give you a slight indication if we weren't able to get merit scores for whatever reason? Even if it gave you your mark and the pass mark, if you were only just over it you could pretty much guarantee you're going to be quite far down the merit listing and not in with much of a chance.

Maybe veering off topic here slighty, but kind of not in a way! Apologies if so.

Back then,I was not given a score a such and not notified by Consensia what the passmark was.
    I wasnt aware either that you could phone up and get your merit ranking,so was just told yes,youve passed,not high enough and the feedback was very general....

Oh...just remembered...lol..beware the letters from Consensia/Deloitte that have nothing else to say other than your application is being processed.....We will be in touch.Nasty,useless little heartstoppers those are!:mad:

Soo...it's not a exactly a "detailed breakdown report" as promised? Ach I was looking forward to it :rolleyes:
    Would it not atleast give you a slight indication if we weren't able to get merit scores for whatever reason? Even if it gave you your mark and the pass mark, if you were only just over it you could pretty much guarantee you're going to be quite far down the merit listing and not in with much of a chance.

Maybe veering off topic here slighty, but kind of not in a way! Apologies if so.

The good thing about the feedback is that it gives you your score out of 10 on each of the 7 competencies ( i.e. total score out of 70 ).
    Apart from that it is very general and generic , e.g. '' your score of x suggests you showed strong/some/ no evidence of the competency. If your looking for feedback along the lines of '' Dear John/Mary the assessors thought you showed great patience dealing with that irate customer in scenario 3 '' or '' you should not have kneed the customer in the groin in scenario 3 , etc '' then you'll be sadly dissappointed :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Jay_Man

This is ridiculous. I knew that muppet David Cameron was bad news.

Well seeing at they are still Vetting me since C14 of Oct 08 I hope they send this years Vetting to the Garda at least as Id hate to be waiting an extra year ontop of a further two in the future.. Such a joke.

So will the Vetting Dept in the PSNI cease to exist or will they at least send Vetting forms to the South to get Vetted by Garda during the freeze. Sure we'll be out of the freeze two times over before their complete anyway. What you think PSNI?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Vince Coupon

The good thing about the feedback is that it gives you your score out of 10 on each of the 7 competencies ( i.e. total score out of 70 ).
    Apart from that it is very general and generic , e.g. '' your score of x suggests you showed strong/some/ no evidence of the competency. If your looking for feedback along the lines of '' Dear John/Mary the assessors thought you showed great patience dealing with that irate customer in scenario 3 '' or '' you should not have kneed the customer in the groin in scenario 3 , etc '' then you'll be sadly dissappointed :rolleyes:.

Yep, all the feedback forms were good for in my opinion was for future ACs as I was able to get a better idea on what they were looking for on each competency.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I don't talk about Vetting at all. Neither will any serving Constable.

Sorry.
    Jay_Man wrote: »
    This is ridiculous. I knew that muppet David Cameron was bad news.

Well seeing at they are still Vetting me since C14 of Oct 08 I hope they send this years Vetting to the Garda at least as Id hate to be waiting an extra year ontop of a further two in the future.. Such a joke.

So will the Vetting Dept in the PSNI cease to exist or will they at least send Vetting forms to the South to get Vetted by Garda during the freeze. Sure we'll be out of the freeze two times over before their complete anyway. What you think PSNI?

No worries PSNI.

I Just meant that the Garda down here are slow with Vetting, it would make sense to send them the forms during the year freeze to give them a well needed headstart anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

They won't. It costs money to have someone vetted. The PSNI aren't going to pay AGS to vet someone when there's a hire freeze, which also means the budget they have for such things is also frozen.

So it costs money for Guards to Vet someone from South? Sure people get vetted all the time down here for various jobs.. College, Social Care etc and doesnt cost any organisation..

How will it have of expired when it takes the Garda well over a year to Vet someone anyway???

This is not the thread for explaining the finer points of vetting. It's a thread to discuss the ramifications of the recruitment freeze. If you want to start a thread on Garda vetting, go out to the main ES forum and start one there.

Back on topic please.
    Jay_Man wrote: »
    So it costs money for Guards to Vet someone from South? Sure people get vetted all the time down here for various jobs.. College, Social Care etc and doesnt cost any organisation..

How will it have of expired when it takes the Garda well over a year to Vet someone anyway???

No problem. Sorry.

Ok so if the freeze is on for a year and medicals expire after a year yeah? So why then would the PSNI be still sending people for medicals wasting resources when they will have to re do them after the freeze anyway???

Medicals don't expire after a year. Where on earth did you hear that from?

I did my medical, then waited over a year for my vetting to come back. All I had to do was sign a form saying that my medical circumstances hadn't changed and I was in.

psni wrote: »

I did my medical, then waited over a year for my vetting to come back. All I had to do was sign a form saying that my medical circumstances hadn't changed and I was in.

Thats very interesting psni - I must admit I thought that medicals had a 'shelf life ' and after a year you had to do them again.
    Good to know - so if I get to medical ( and pass ) then I can safely party and pig out , gain 5 stone and not have a worry - toootally coool :D

Vetting expires. Medicals don't* (unless you have something to declare, then you get medicaled (?) again. Turn up weighing an additional 5 stone and being unable to complete the first PE class will have you in a world of problems - quite possibly out the gate, at the sole discretion of the CI.

EDIT: *If you have done your medical for a campaign and you pass, there is no expiry date even if your vetting takes over a year. If you did a medical for another campaign and you didn't get in, then you need to do another medical for the new campaign. I hope that helps to resolve any confusion, and explains why your posts have been deleted.

• Advertisement

psni wrote: »

I said vetting expired after a year so maybe he got that confused with medicals - tho my posts have gone!

At any rate... back on topic please lads.

At the risk of sounding daft here,psni,do you think I could be sent vetting forms and a medical date....AC pass letter yesterday...or am I in the deep freeze with my IST and AC pass?

I know there are variables and will not hold you to it but I have my reasons for asking.

If you're asking me whether you think you have a chance at the August intake, given the fact that you have no forms or medical date, my answer would be 99% no unless you're Matt Baggott's son.
    cesc77 wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding daft here,psni,do you think I could be sent vetting forms and a medical date....AC pass letter yesterday...or am I in the deep freeze with my IST and AC pass?

I know there are variables and will not hold you to it but I have my reasons for asking.

hahaha...no,least I dont think so...

No,thats not what I was meaning...lol...Im not chasing the August intake.

Something else is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

So what are the greater ramifications of this recruitment freeze for the force and the community in general?

I should have been more specific. I would prefer if this thread is left to discuss the ramifications of the recruitment freeze for individuals at various stages of the PSNI Recruitment process.

You're probably looking at starting a whole new thread out in the main ES forum if you want to discuss what this means for the organisation and society. I think it might be a good discussion to be had because you'll be touching on broad subjects like Economics, Business Management, Politics, Criminology, to name but a few.

But because this is the PSNI Recruitment forum, we'll keep things in some sort of order so hopefully new visitors to the site will be able to find the relevant information they need quickly and easily.

Thanks.
    shampon wrote: »
    So what are the greater ramifications of this recruitment freeze for the force and the community in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 slunk2

Rite .... I sent my vetting forms off appx 5 weeks ago havent heard anything back although I know it takes ages.. should I be worried that the recruitment freeze will effect me?

slunk2 wrote: »
    Rite .... I sent my vetting forms off appx 5 weeks ago havent heard anything back although I know it takes ages.. should I be worried that the recruitment freeze will effect me?

Judging by PSNI's first 2 posts in this thread I would say it will effect you. It's not looking good for C16 applicants as the August intake is the last one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 slunk2

Judging by PSNI's first 2 posts in this thread I would say it will effect you. It's not looking good for C16 applicants as the August intake is the last one.

Are they going to give us any formal communication to make us aware of what is goin on??

Advertisement