Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruitment Freeze - The Official Word

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭FootyFan24

Hi Everyone,

Got my medical date through today, was very excited! Until I realised the freeze is definitely in place and pretty much ruined my day. So annoyed that they have done this as I've been trying for years and it's been a dream for a lot longer. Hopefully it wont last too long, but as we are always getting shafted by London I'm expecting it to last a few years at least. Well done to all those who have made it through succesfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭pma1983

FootyFan24 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Got my medical date through today, was very excited! Until I realised the freeze is definitely in place and pretty much ruined my day. So annoyed that they have done this as I've been trying for years and it's been a dream for a lot longer. Hopefully it wont last too long, but as we are always getting shafted by London I'm expecting it to last a few years at least. Well done to all those who have made it through succesfully.

Who told you it was definately in place?

Congrats btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

Don't worry, it is.

pma1983 wrote: »
    Who told you it was definately in place?

Congrats btw!

A friend of mine in the service (he started last year), but also from what I've read here - PSNI is always correct!

Still no definate word in writing though for us from the PSNI, to me a letter from Deloitte doesn't count because, well, it's Deloitte :D I reckon they don't actually know for sure theirselves what's happening and that's why we have no direct word from the PSNI...I'd imagine in the autumn when the actual budgets are given out we'll here what the deal is!

I really should use this opportunity to get myself back into the gym incase I do have to do a PCA....assuming ofcourse I am ever going to get a medical, or bloody vetting forms for that matter :( Strange how they seem to be coming out in small random batches every now and then and no real steady stream of people receiving either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭stillhopful

Totally agree, not even the policy makers know what's happening and won't until the fiscal year and new budgets are decided everything until then is hearsay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Jay_Man

Freeze or not I'd still like to have my medical now and get it out of the way.

Does anyone know which is first the Merit List or the feedback from Delloitte? As far as I remember I got my merit placing first in C14. Also how we will we know when the merit list is compiled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Jay_Man wrote: »
    Freeze or not I'd still like to have my medical now and get it out of the way.

Does anyone know which is first the Merit List or the feedback from Delloitte? As far as I remember I got my merit placing first in C14. Also how we will we know when the merit list is compiled?

The norm is that the Merit list comes out first and then feedback. I think the only way to learn the list is available is keep an eye on this forum and someone will post that they have called and got theirs .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Jay_Man

Thanks Delancey :)

So according to http://www.joinpsni.co.uk/application_process.aspx the list will be availabe in August sometime. Ah not too long to wait so.

Also from lookin at that list it says The Medical Examination is Managed by OHW so maybe just like Delloite they will procceed to the end of the current campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dm25

Hi Everyone,

Am I missing something?? lol you got a date, that's great!! I am still waiting :( is it soon? how much notice do they give you? when was your AC?

• Advertisement

dm25 wrote: »
    Am I missing something?? lol you got a date, that's great!! I am still waiting :( is it soon? how much notice do they give you? when was your AC?

Hey dm,

i got my letter today and its in a couple of weeks. My AC was early May and Vetting was June. I think the notice is 2-3 weeks for the Medical. This is the first time in 4 campaigns I've got this far so I am pleased about it, just tempered with the uncertainty of the Recruitment process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dm25

Prob wise not to get your hopes up...but i think its really positive because it is the first we have heard of medicals in a while. And if this is the furtherest you have got then hiphiphoraayyyyy lol just think positive....cant hurt. and good luck with everything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hi Everyone,

Got my medical date through today...

Of course they're giving medicals. Why wouldn't they? They have contractual obligations with the medical advisors in OHW, and it would be wasteful to let them sit around doing nothing. They still have money left in their budget for that so good for them!

You'll get your medical, and then when the freeze is lifted, (if you are successful) you'll also get a form to fill in, declaring that nothing has changed since your medical. If it does, you don't tell them, and it's discovered later, you're out of a job without any comeback.

The bit to remember is, they don't have enough money to do an intake after August. Don't get caught out by the illusion that some people are progressing with medicals, and then conclude there must be an intake planned.

There isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mal85

i got my medical invite today, now the letter started "congratulations you have progressed to the next stage" so my quesiton is, have i passed vetting, or is vetting still ongoing??

god this is racking my brains like

Mal85 wrote: »
    i got my medical invite today, now the letter started "congratulations you have progressed to the next stage" so my quesiton is, have i passed vetting, or is vetting still ongoing??

god this is racking my brains like

I would attach no significance to the letter wording , many if not most people undertake medicals while their vetting is ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 skatestraight

I received my medical date there yesterday as well.. happy days me does think! Lets just hope everything goes swimmingly :)

Many thanks for posting that report Shampon. I suggest everyone take a few minutes to read through it ( does not require an economist to understand it ).
    A very important point I will make - that report is dated February 2009 but even then a freeze in financial year 2010/2011 was being proposed ( that is what we are seeing now , a freeze for C16 applicants ).
    The overall economic/budgetary position could be argued to have worsened since then , I think we will be lucky if this freeze lasts only a year. I would advise folks here that all Vetting and Medicals should be considered to be routine and NOT indicative that recruitment is about to recommence.
    I do hope I'm wrong btw.

I see that there was a plan to introduce PSCO's in NI...thankfully it got scraped...that report does show the amount of retirements that are imminent over the next few years which could be a good news. I hope they dont bring in the Baltimore Sun, AGS, Irish Government line

james-whiting-160.jpg

"More with Less"

I can bet not one desk jockey civil serpant will get shafted during the next few months...

delancey42 wrote: »
    Many thanks for posting that report Shampon. I suggest everyone take a few minutes to read through it ( does not require an economist to understand it ).
    A very important point I will make - that report is dated February 2009 but even then a freeze in financial year 2010/2011 was being proposed ( that is what we are seeing now , a freeze for C16 applicants ).
    The overall economic/budgetary position could be argued to have worsened since then , I think we will be lucky if this freeze lasts only a year. I would advise folks here that all Vetting and Medicals should be considered to be routine and NOT indicative that recruitment is about to recommence.
    I do hope I'm wrong btw.
    +1 Cheers muchly for posting!

What I don't understand is if as Delancey said the report is from 2009, and quite clearly states a good couple of times that there will be no recruitment in 2010/11...why continue on as they have :confused:
    I know it is a proposal report but still, if they knew so long ago that this would have to happen, I would've imagined it would've made more sense to just not start C16 and start saving money sooner, meaning they could start spending money again sooner.

Thank god the PCSO idea never came to anything, I just can't imagine that would ever ever work here, they'd be way too easy targets for those darn baddies of ours out there!

• Advertisement

way too easy targets for those darn baddies of ours out there!

What I thought when I seen it, what a terrible idea.

Yeah I was amazed to see that they were looking at PCSO's - can't see how it could work given that they would be unarmed ( I presume ) and the forces of darkness gunning for them.
    Good questions you raise Plugin and I suppose your query contains the answer - the word '' proposed '' - 1 thing to propose but entirely another thing for the Chief or Policing Board to go for it . A recent example being the Chiefs plan to hand over armed protection work to civvies - the Board gave that the boot ( and a few hours later the Chief announced the freeze :rolleyes: ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

We have talked about this before,and as much as I would love to be a cop there is no way on this earth I would become a PCSO over here.
    Across the water, maybe to show commitment and experience but here such people would be "fish in a barrel".
    You can arse off with that wee ploy.
    The Americans would be outraged at the thought of tax dollars employing unpaid,unarmed police.I think the mainland is losing the plot where that is concerned.But its all about the image of bobbies on the beat...false economy if you ask me.

cesc77 wrote: »
    We have talked about this before,and as much as I would love to be a cop there is no way on this earth I would become a PCSO over here.
    Across the water, maybe to show commitment and experience but here such people would be "fish in a barrel".
    The Americans would be outraged at the thought of tax dollars employing unpaid,unarmed police.I think the mainland is losing the plot where that is concerned.But its all about the image of bobbies on the beat...false economy if you ask me.

:cool:

cesc77 wrote: »

+1 . I agree that across the water there seems to be a big focus on saving money and give the impression that nothing has changed - to go from 15,000 Specials to 50,000 , crazy.....but then it might fool some of the people.

delancey42 wrote: »
    +1 . I agree that across the water there seems to be a big focus on saving money and give the impression that nothing has changed - to go from 15,000 Specials to 50,000 , crazy.....but then it might fool some of the people.

Heres an oppurtunity to ask a question to the policing Minister http://www.number10.gov.uk/news/latest-news/2010/07/live-qa-with-policing-minister-nick-herbert-54048

Not that he could do anything because of the devolution, but by Christ, some of the stuff that came out of that white paper...is aload of ****e, there is better policy's up my arse ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

Minister for England and Wales....not relevent to NI

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭thebakerboy

I saw a copy of this just after the freeze was announced and thought it strange that they had plans for cancelling recruitment next year. I presume that they were of the impression that this last recruitment would bring them in line for Patton or as close to it.

The figures do not make for good reading since they are over a year old and things have moved to the position we are in a year earlier than expected.

Yeah , I could see a freeze coming down the line but I comforted myself with the thought it would not happen until the Patten target of 30% RC was reached ( around 28% now )- how wrong I was :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 skatestraight

Does anyone know when we are likely to hear official word from the PSNI regarding this freeze? Surely they would have to update us properly before the budgets are announced in the autumn? I'm also just wondering is it likely they'll release the merit list as normal or will they keep it back due to the freeze.

Advertisement