Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Back To My Best

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I will make sure to give you an adequate dose of HTFU in this weekends LSR:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I will make sure to give you an adequate dose of HTFU in this weekends LSR:)

Come back to me when you have my 10M/HM pb's :p

Come back to me when you have my 10M/HM pb's :p

Hmmm perhaps not:) I hopefully will make do with saying come back to when you have my marathon pb in 4 weeks time:p

Hmmm perhaps not:) I hopefully will make do with saying come back to when you have my marathon pb in 4 weeks time:p

Gonna be a long way home for you when if you kaboom at mile 17 :p 3'09 might not seem that easy then.

Mon 27th Feb, 4 mls recovery in 38'03 (9'31) Legs heavy from the progression run even though i stopped it 3 mls short. Seems like the right decision now in hindsight. Front of my right shin was sore since Sunday (from doing speedwork in light shoes i think and it took a mile or so for the pain to disappear.

Tues 28th Feb, 7 mls easy straight after work in the heath in 57'46 (8'15) Just managed to get the run done in daylight. Fairly hilly route as Hampstead Heath runs always are, mostly on grass though which gave the legs a bit of a break. Another semi tough MP session tomorrow night on the circle of hell :D

• Advertisement

A few days to catch up on

Weds 29th Feb, plan was 2 mls w/u then 2 x 4 mls at MP then 2 mls w/d. On the warm up i was shivering and felt horrible. Knew something was up but started the MP miles anyway. Managed one mile at 7'05 pace and eased off. Struggled through 2 mls back to the house for 5 mls total. Crappy way to end Feb but a good month overall with only one rest day.

Thurs 1st Mar, was totally wiped when i woke up and had a 100+ RHR, this was always gonna be a rest day. Went for a walk instead. Nice for a change.

Fri 2nd Mar, had time after work for 6 mls easy in the heath in 48'41 (8'07). Felt recovered and running well, rest day would have helped of course. Flew to Dublin after.

Sat 3rd Mar, met up with Jackyback in the Phoenix Park for a key LSR. Plan was 10k at 7'35, 10k at 7'15 and 10k at MP (6'50-6'52) with 2k w/d.

The first lap went well, pace was nice and easy despite the draining wind towards the Ashtown Gate. Quick rehydration stop and then TheRoadRunner joined us for the last 2 laps. The second lap was similar and the legs started feeling it a bit. The wind was a bit strong to go at 7'15 pace so we decided to save it for the final lap and the MP pace.

Once the final lap started i sprung into life and felt great again (all in the head i'm told :p) and was running strongly into the headwind at MP. I kept the pace well as JB had stomach issues and myself and TRR finished it out on target, followed by a 2k w/d to make up the 32km. Essentially 20 miles in 2'26'58 (7'23)

Very good run and happy with that. Great that the MP miles didnt feel like tempo. Well set for the sub 3 attempt in 7 weeks now. :)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/155172474

Sun 4th Mar, 5.5 mls easy in 45'56 (8'21). Slow first mile and the legs felt ropey, better after that though.

Weekly Review, 6 runs and 47.5 mls. the 24hr illness was disappointing but i bounced back well. It's a good sign if a high 40's week look low i guess. This coming week is all about the Silverstone Half on Sunday.

Yearly Mileage, 423.5 mls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Did tRR jsut shout HTFU at you for 14 miles ?

shels4ever wrote: »
    Did tRR jsut shout HTFU at you for 14 miles ?

More like the other way around i would say ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

More like the other way around i would say ;):D
    Hope your saying that on the 22nd April :).

Nice one Brian you came to life on the last lap.

• Advertisement

Mon 5th Mar, 4 mls recovery in 37'20 (9'20) Legs have been worse. Tired from the weekend more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

This coming week is all about the Silverstone Half on Sunday.

whats the plan for that?

whats the plan for that?

Sub 80 or 81 depending on the weather on the day. It can get windy there i hear. PB is 1'22'30 so wanna beat that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Hey Brian, this is a little off topic from your log.., 04072511 mentioned that you trained for 100m in the past and you got your time down to 12.02 from 12.4
    I would be interested to know how you did it, like how long it took and was it more weights focus?

Thanks in advance,
    RM

RandyMann wrote: »
    Hey Brian, this is a little off topic from your log.., 04072511 mentioned that you trained for 100m in the past and you got your time down to 12.02 from 12.4
    I would be interested to know how you did it, like how long it took and was it more weights focus?

Thanks in advance,
    RM

I was always more a 200/400m runner but i had to keep my speed sharp for 4 x 100m relays so there was a lot of short sharp stuff.

The most important contributor for me was the plyometrics we did with the Trinity Sprints coach twice a week. These consisted of;

1) High knees, focusing on no. of reps over a set distance (30m approx) and jogging out of it
    2) Heel Flicks, as 1)
    3,4) Alternate legs high knees and heel flicks, where we would take 2 short steps in between each high knee or heel flick, i.e. left knee, 2 steps, right knee, 2 steps, left knee etc.

5) Pitter patter, basically taking tiny strides where your feet barely leave the ground. Again trying to do as many reps as possible over a short distance (10m approx)
    6) Bounding, basically exaggerated strides where you run a bit like a kangaroo.
    7) Hunker Hops, bend your knees like your doing a squat, back straight and look forward and hop along like a kangaroo, cover no more than 10-15m. Might seems like a silly one but this was the first time did this and i noticed a definite improvement in speed.
    8) Alternate leg skips, push off the right leg and lift your left knee and arm, then straight onto the other side. Cover 20-25 metres with it.
    9) 3 x 60m strides, first one at 70%, then 80% and 90%

The focus on all these reps should be on form. And definitely do these on grass, the infield of a track is ideal.

As regards sessions;

8 x 150m at 95% with walkback recovery (2-3mins)

Another one was Flying 30's, where we strode up to a certain mark and sprinted all out for 30m before easing off. We'd do 6-7 of these at a time.

Lots of startwork in the blocks too, drive out and head down first 20m before settling into normal sprinting then ease off after 40m or so

We did a bit of work with ladders too to improve our cadence.

Weights;

I used to do weights 2-3 times a week (because the lads in my flat were doing it too tbh) I focused mostly on squats, clean and jerk, corework.

I did circuit training once a week too which was sprints orientated. The focus was always on explosive power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

I was always more a 200/400m runner but i had to keep my speed sharp for 4 x 100m relays so there was a lot of short sharp stuff.

The most important contributor for me was the plyometrics we did with the Trinity Sprints coach twice a week. These consisted of;

1) High knees, focusing on no. of reps over a set distance (30m approx) and jogging out of it
    2) Heel Flicks, as 1)
    3,4) Alternate legs high knees and heel flicks, where we would take 2 short steps in between each high knee or heel flick, i.e. left knee, 2 steps, right knee, 2 steps, left knee etc.

5) Pitter patter, basically taking tiny strides where your feet barely leave the ground. Again trying to do as many reps as possible over a short distance (10m approx)
    6) Bounding, basically exaggerated strides where you run a bit like a kangaroo.
    7) Hunker Hops, bend your knees like your doing a squat, back straight and look forward and hop along like a kangaroo, cover no more than 10-15m. Might seems like a silly one but this was the first time did this and i noticed a definite improvement in speed.
    8) Alternate leg skips, push off the right leg and lift your left knee and arm, then straight onto the other side. Cover 20-25 metres with it.
    9) 3 x 60m strides, first one at 70%, then 80% and 90%

The focus on all these reps should be on form. And definitely do these on grass, the infield of a track is ideal.

As regards sessions;

8 x 150m at 95% with walkback recovery (2-3mins)

Another one was Flying 30's, where we strode up to a certain mark and sprinted all out for 30m before easing off. We'd do 6-7 of these at a time.

Lots of startwork in the blocks too, drive out and head down first 20m before settling into normal sprinting then ease off after 40m or so

We did a bit of work with ladders too to improve our cadence.

Weights;

I used to do weights 2-3 times a week (because the lads in my flat were doing it too tbh) I focused mostly on squats, clean and jerk, corework.

I did circuit training once a week too which was sprints orientated. The focus was always on explosive power.

Thanks for that in depth account. There are a lot of similarities in the plyo work and drills that I do. I found the bounding is helping and I will try those hops you speak of also.

Tues 7th Mar, 7 mls easy in the heath in 56'20 (8'03) Felt recovered from the weekend and nice run.

Weds 8th Mar, was supposed to be a tune up session for Sunday but got a free ticket in work to the Spurs vs Stevenage FA cup game in White Hart Lane so went to that. Managed to squeeze in 3 mls easy in the heath beforehand in 23'48 (7'56). Not ideal but better than nothing.

Thurs 9th May, did the tune up session i missed on Weds. 2 mls w/u to the gravel track beside the zoo then;

1600m at MP, did it in 6'48 (6'50 pace)
    1200m at HMP, did it in 4'36 (6'09 pace)
    800m at 10k pace, did it in 2'56 (5'52 pace)
    400m at 5k pace, did it in 84 secs (5'37 pace)

all off 2 min jog recovery

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/156057130

2 mls w/d then back for 7 mls total. Felt good tonight on the reps, better than i felt doing this exact session before Waterford last December. All systems go now for Sunday in Silverstone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

but got a free ticket in work to the Spurs vs Stevenage FA cup game in White Hart Lane so went to that.

Jayz, I'd say that was some cracker alrite :p

04072511 wrote: »
    but got a free ticket in work to the Spurs vs Stevenage FA cup game in White Hart Lane so went to that.

Jayz, I'd say that was some cracker alrite :p

And what did you go to on wednesday evening that topped that ;)

I'll be at the cheltenham festival next friday. That good enough for you? :D

And what did you go to on wednesday evening that topped that ;)

I'll be at the cheltenham festival next friday. That good enough for you? :D

I get to watch Tamsin Lewis destroy the field tomorrow in the 800 at our State Champs, and for free. :)

• Advertisement

Sat 10th Oct, after a rest day yesterday i did 3 mls recovery in the heath in 26'45 (8'55). Followed by 4 x 80m strides. Feel ok about tomorrow. Gonna try and hold 6'06 pace in a sub 80 attempt.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gonna try and hold 6'06 pace in a sub 80 attempt.
    Good luck tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

any news ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

[
    Thurs 9th May
    Sat 10th Oct

:confused:

The dates for Tues and Weds are also wrong btw. :pac:

Nah i'm a shorter price than that, more like 1/3. I ran 45 secs for 300m the other night at the end of the session in runners. I still got it! You'd want to be in 58 sec shape to worry me i'd say :p

What are the current odds quoted by Paddy Power?

Looking forward to this showdown at London 2012. Coin toss to see who gets the inside lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Did you decide on the Manas for the Marathon yet?
    I was stuck on Tempos due to the injuries, but ran 13+ miles in the Manas last night and really do like them.

04072511 wrote: »
    What are the current odds quoted by Paddy Power?

Looking forward to this showdown at London 2012. Coin toss to see who gets the inside lane.

I'm still the fav. I may well do a solo time trial a couple of weeks before and if its slower than i'll 60 make up an excuse not to race you :p
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Did you decide on the Manas for the Marathon yet?
    I was stuck on Tempos due to the injuries, but ran 13+ miles in the Manas last night and really do like them.

Yep i'll use them for sure, they were fine for that 20 miler 2 weeks ago and they seem to suit me well.

I'm still the fav. I may well do a solo time trial a couple of weeks before and if its slower than i'll 60 make up an excuse not to race you :p

Haha. Uncertain whether I will be in 58:xx shape come London though. The next couple of months the training is light but it will be ramped up after that, but my month holiday back home wont help with my routine (and all the inevitable alcohol that will have to be consumed). I could be in 60 shape or 57 shape who knows!

2 weeks since my last training post and its been a period to forget unfortunately.

Silverstone Half was a DNF at the 10km mark more or less. Never got into a rhythm and 6'06 pace felt like 5k effort. It was quite hot and fairly windy with nowhere to hide. Bit of a novelty to run around the F1 track with 10,000 others but it just didnt suit me. Pace dropped after 2 mls, tried to re rally but was fighting a losing battle. Garmin link.

Since then things have gone from bad to worse. Got through a planned wave MP tempo (+ and - 10 secs of MP) for 6 mls, which left me fairly wiped and my head spinning. 2 rest days followed at Cheltenham and Liverpool but i was just as bad after.

This week though has been worse again. Legs are inexplicably dead all the time, with 8 min miling impossible to hold. Walking up stairs and cycling to work is a massive chore. Taking the rest of the week off and will try again on Sunday or Monday to salvage something.

In hindsight maybe i never gave myself enough of a break after berlin/DCM pacing. Waterford and Dungarvan were excellent and Feb was a great month with 28 runs from 29 days. Too much in hindsight and the 20 miler i did in Dublin 3 weeks ago may have been the final straw.

Not totally giving up on sub 3 hrs but this is a blow no doubt about it. Have a doctors appointment on Monday morning which should tell me more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Can you not get an appointment sooner? You need to get a blood test and check white blood cell count etc, these can take a couple of days and by the time you have the results you could be better. If I were you I'd be willing to spend a bit of cash to put a hurry on this. You've done most of the work and just need to keep ticking over for the next few weeks and make sure you don't have anything viral etc. Best thing to do for the next few days is get as much rest as possible, stay well hydrated and I'm sorry to say, stay off the booze. Get an iron supplement is as well just in case.

Advertisement