Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Back To My Best

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Great, you can drive my excess baggage to GNR :cool:

Dream on, 5 hrs each way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Sorry to hear that Brian but its definitely the right decision.
    Hope you're back to full fitness soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

Bad luck Brian, hope you recover soon

Thurs 26th April, 4 mls tonight in the heath in 33'04 (8'16). This was ok mostly, bar a slight ache in the legs from the lack of recent running. Nice to finish a run when i'm not light headed for a change.

First run for a week. Spectating wasnt too bad last Sunday and no way could i have run on the day. Not getting too excited for the moment, its gonna be a 2/3 month road back to full fitness i think.

Have the GLR pacing Sunday week, switched from 1'40 to 1'50 which is much handier and should be fine. First Battersea Park race is 3 weeks away but realistically i cant think about pb's for at least 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Have faith Mister, something tells me you'll be feeling fantastic sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement

Fri 27th April, 3 mls easy recovery in the heath in 26'45 (8'55). Pleasantly surprised at how bouncy and fresh my legs felt after yesterdays "shock to the system" run. I'll take tomorrow off and try another one on Sunday. The comeback continues :D

All this talk of graded meets had got me searching for my one and only appearence in them in the B 400m in 2007. After a bit of digging i found them here. I remember i was 15m clear with 100m to go and nearly got caught :eek:. Leaves me in no doubt where my talent lies. But do i wanna return? Hard to say. I'll do a few track races this summer alright but don't expect to return to that level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

All this talk of graded meets had got me searching for my one and only appearence in them in the B 400m in 2007. After a bit of digging i found them here. I remember i was 15m clear with 100m to go and nearly got caught :eek:. Leaves me in no doubt where my talent lies. But do i wanna return? Hard to say. I'll do a few track races this summer alright but don't expect to return to that level.

Nah, your 400m time is good indicator of your ability over the marathon. There's no excuse why you can't be running very low 2:40s based on that high 53 PB of yours. ;):o:p

Yeh no doubt at all where you're talent lies. Maybe you wont get back to that level, but you wont know til you try. Think of the headlines:

"Brianderunner banishes Berlin and London demons to record national qualifier over 400m"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Fri 27th April, 3 mls easy recovery in the heath in 26'45 (8'55). Pleasantly surprised at how bouncy and fresh my legs felt after yesterdays "shock to the system" run. I'll take tomorrow off and try another one on Sunday. The comeback continues :D

Brian, Brian, Brian, Brian, Brian. If you continue to tell yourself that your talent lies in a particular event then it will be a self fulfilling prophecy.

I use to run 400/800 (faster than you) exclusively and always thought I wasn't suited to longer stuff. While you are handy at 400s it's not as if you are a Jeremy Wariner type character trying to run marathons. All this fast/slow twitch talk is bonkers, sure there are populations/individuals with different muscle fibre make-ups but they are not so great that people at our level would really notice them, well that is unless we trained to our maximum, recovered to our maximum, rested to our maximum and cleaned up our lifestyle (i.e no booze). This talk of fast/slow twitch is an excuse and it's creeping in all over these training logs, next month there will be some new BS. Sure some things will come easier to some people but you can't let minor physiological things act as a barrier (and they are minor as you're brother has ran 2.51, same genes different mindset!). Especially when you can alter your training to build fast/slow twitch.

If you think you can't excel at the longer stuff then cut out the BS and go back to track. You're only 27, you're not 57. I got to within 2 seconds of my 800 PB when I was 26 with 3 months track training after (just about) running a sub 3hr marathon. I didn't like the track anymore however and realised I got a better buzz out of running marathons even though my naturals talents didn't lie there so that's what I started to train for.

I'm guessing you'll miss the longer stuff too so if that's the case STFU, HTFU and get training once you've recovered. I've never come across such a whinger in my life. If you want to run track train for it and do it. If you want to run marathons train properly for them and do it.

Jesus you've put me into a bad mood. I'm off to kick a small child or drown a puppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Quality rant :pac:

RayCun wrote: »
    Quality rant :pac:

I had to listen to the above moan in person last Sunday and there is no talking to the man. He's lucky I hadn't the energy to drop kick him from my high stool.

• Advertisement

I'm off to kick a small child or drown a puppy.

You'd want to hope that the puppy hasn't got a high proportion of fast twitch fibres, otherwise you'll be f*cked and you'll never catch the b@stard! :D;)

04072511 wrote: »
    You'd want to hope that the puppy hasn't got a high proportion of fast twitch fibres, otherwise you'll be f*cked and you'll never catch the b@stard! :D;)

maybe not over 200 metres but that's when the slow twitch and stamina kicks in. We are persistent hunters at heart after all so I'd chase the cute bastard down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Brian, Brian, Brian, Brian, Brian. If you continue to tell yourself that your talent lies in a particular event then it will be a self fulfilling prophecy.

This talk of fast/slow twitch is an excuse and it's creeping in all over these training logs, next month there will be some new BS. Sure some things will come easier to some people but you can't let minor physiological things act as a barrier (and they are minor as you're brother has ran 2.51, same genes different mindset!). Especially when you can alter your training to build fast/slow twitch.

Absolutley. Sometimes I think the science is a double edged sword. If nobody knew anything about things like genes or twitch fibers, you'd just go for it, nothing to hold you back. So many times after a disappointing peformance I've heard people say things like, Im just not cut out for marathons, or 5ks or 10ks. But thats bull. You try, you fail, you pick yourself up and examine what went wrong, you learn, you go again. But what happens a lot of the time is, you try, you fail, you wallow and tell yourself youre just not cut out for this lark or whatever. I think the number 1 thing people fail to do after a disappointing performance is to reflect properly on what happened. To really get to the crux of why they didnt achieve their goal.
    Sorry to hear about london Brian, it must've been tough to watch everybody run a race you yourself had trained for. Blood tests are clear(I know theres a small issiue with platlets) so thats good and bad. I mean if it had come back showing low iron you'd know what to do straight away.
    Have you considered the possibility of glycogen depletion or even a lack of protein? This happened to me before and even though the blood sugar results came back normal, I wasnt convinced. And after discussing it with a physiologist, I made a few adjustments to ensure I was getting enough fuel at the right times. Are you sure you're taking in enough fuel throughout the day? Specifically after training. Hows your protein intake? I know by feel if Im not getting enough protein. You probably know all this anyway, but just in case, when you train make sure you well feed yourself with carbs and protein straight after, I mean load up, dont be hold back, give your body whatever it needs.

Interesting points guys and cheers for the advice;

@ TRR, over the last few years i have essentially turned myself into a distance runner from a sprinter. I'd be almost afraid of running a track race now for fear of being blown out of it and running much slower than i used to. When i ran 2'22 last summer for 800m the crap time didnt bother me all that much cause i reckoned i was a road runner.

Part of the reason i havent performed over the marathon distance i think is my lack of proper mileage. I gave it a lash in Feb but my body couldnt handle it for whatever reason but i'm not finished yet. Will give it a proper lash again for London 2013 when hopefully 2'59 will be a poor run for me.

@ tunguska, fair point re the protein alright, cant say i'd have much of it during the day outside of dinner, its definitely something to look at. Glycogen depletion may be a possibility, always fuelled for runs but maybe i need to pay more attention to the rest of the day.

Sun 29th Apr, in Dublin for the weekend as a result of a Heineken Cup gamble that backfired (last time i book flights for a semi before the QF has taken place :rolleyes:) and met up with Mr. Slow in the phoenix park. In the end i did 9 mls in 1'15'10 (8'21 pace), essentially GLR pacing pace although that wasnt the intention.

This was a bit further than i intended but no harm to prepare the legs for 13 mls this Sunday. Wind was draining and the strongest i've ran in. Felt good mostly till the last 2 mls when the legs got a bit weary. Nice run overall though and the ice cream was a nice reward after. Forgotten what it was like to not feel dizzy/lightheaded after a run which is nice.

Weekly Review, 16 mls and 3 runs. I'm feeling normal again now during the day and after runs which is hugely encouraging. Not gonna push things for a bit and continue to ease back into it.

Yearly Mileage, 608.5 mls, for what its worth.

@ tunguska, fair point re the protein alright, cant say i'd have much of it during the day outside of dinner, its definitely something to look at.

Mon 30th April, 3 mls recovery in the heath (8'58 pace) in 26'53, a bit tired from the weekend but legs felt fine and no problems to report.

April Review;

Well what a horror show of a month that was. 87 miles and 14 runs, lowest on both counts for years. No races (Reading was merely a training run) but at least i got that done if nothing else. Things can only get better i guess :)

Weds 2nd May, 7 mls easy tonight in 53'12 (7'36) down to Regents pk and back. Decided to do a faster than normal one tonight. Felt great throughout and it seems like i'm now fully over whatever i had :D I guess i could have paced 1'40 next Sunday in Limerick no problem but it was the wise decision to switch last week anyway i think. Pacing 1'50 gives me more rope to go on the piss Saturday night now ;) Gotta keep up the tradition of course :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

[QUOTE=Brianderunner;78472883]Pacing 1'50 gives me more rope to go on the piss Saturday night now ;)Gotta keep up the tradition of course :p[/QUOTE]

Don't forget to bang your face on something :D

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Don't forget to bang your face on something :D

The drunken bets too of course :rolleyes:

Let's hope ultraman remembers to bring his entry forms for the Donadea 50k :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

[I guess i could have paced 1'40 next Sunday in Limerick no problem but it was the wise decision to switch last week anyway i think.

You can still switch back if you want :)

menoscemo wrote: »
    You can still switch back if you want :)

Ah no i think its time for you to step up to the big league ;) It may be the only time you beat me in a race :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ah no i think its time for you to step up to the big league ;) It may be the only time you beat me in a race :p

The good news is that the race doesn't start until 11.45 and the start line is outside the door of our hotel, so even though I'm driving the 1:40 bus, I'll be up for a few pints (and bets) the night before :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Hey Brian, you're the London info guy around these parts :). Where would you reckon would be best to stay and have the craic on the heineken cup final night? I've never been near twickenham. Any thoughts? Thanks man.

Hey Brian, you're the London info guy around these parts :). Where would you reckon would be best to stay and have the craic on the heineken cup final night? I've never been near twickenham. Any thoughts? Thanks man.

Going to the final myself, pity its not Munster vs Leinster but we cant have everything.

Twickenham itself is a bit of a dive but Richmond is a lovely area (about a mile away). Molly Malones in Richmond is good craic. There is a good pub called the Cabbage Patch just outside Twickenham train station which is worth a visit but will be busy on matchdays. My plan is to head there after to watch the Champions League final most likely. With Chelsea in the final, all the pubs will be packed out i'm thinking.

Obviously the Irish Bars in the West End would be guaranteed craic, Porterhouse, Waxy O'Connors, O'Neills. Only problem is the post match buzz might be diluted that far from the stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Going to the final myself, pity its not Munster vs Leinster but we cant have everything.

Twickenham itself is a bit of a dive but Richmond is a lovely area (about a mile away). Molly Malones in Richmond is good craic. There is a good pub called the Cabbage Patch just outside Twickenham train station which is worth a visit but will be busy on matchdays. My plan is to head there after to watch the Champions League final most likely. With Chelsea in the final, all the pubs will be packed out i'm thinking.

Obviously the Irish Bars in the West End would be guaranteed craic, Porterhouse, Waxy O'Connors, O'Neills. Only problem is the post match buzz might be diluted that far from the stadium.

Ah thats brilliant thanks for that. Sounds like Richmond is the place to go and if the post match buzz starts to die off (which I doubt it) then those Irish bars will be good back up. Look out for me, I'll be wearing a Leinster jersey. There's about as much chance as finding me as I would yourself because no doubt there'll be thousands in Munster jerseys........going by Ireland matches anyway :D

Cheers.

Ah thats brilliant thanks for that. Sounds like Richmond is the place to go and if the post match buzz starts to die off (which I doubt it) then those Irish bars will be good back up. Look out for me, I'll be wearing a Leinster jersey. There's about as much chance as finding me as I would yourself because no doubt there'll be thousands in Munster jerseys........going by Ireland matches anyway :D

Cheers.

Brian, please do not wear a Munster jersey at the Leinster Ulster final. I adore Munster rugby but the sight of 7000-8000 Munster jerseys at the Leinster Leicester final in 09 was gastly. It's almost a case of people wanting to remind others about something, and Munster came across as a bit of a laughing stock because of it. Please don't contribute towards this nonsense. Thanking you. :)

04072511 wrote: »
    Brian, please do not wear a Munster jersey at the Leinster Ulster final. I adore Munster rugby but the sight of 7000-8000 Munster jerseys at the Leinster Leicester final in 09 was gastly. It's almost a case of people wanting to remind others about something, and Munster came across as a bit of a laughing stock because of it. Please don't contribute towards this nonsense. Thanking you. :)

Ah your ok, no worries there. I'll save the Munster jersey for the dizzying heights of the Pro 12 playoffs :rolleyes: Our tickets in '09 were offloaded to Leinster fans you'll be happy to know, it's all a bit cringeworthy i'll admit, heard it was even worse in '07.

The name of the team on my betting docket will be the team i cheer for in Twickers :D

Thurs 3rd May, 3 mls recovery in the heath in 26'50 (8'57). Used the HRM for the first time in 11 months. Av HR 148.

Flying Friday and busy Sat so both rest days

Great Limerick Run 1’50 pacing

Sun 6th May, originally i was down to pace 1’40 given recent events i thought it would be safer for me to go for 1’50. After a few pints and a Munster match in Thomond on Saturday night i was in no mood to switch with Meno. I left my Garmin at home so i borrowed RK’s. She was aiming for the same time anyway so it was no big loss for her :p.

The gun went and myself and my fellow pacer (Paul) settled into pace. Neither of us panicked when the first mile was 8’45 (8’22 target for 1’50). RK fell soon after, and tbh my first instinct was to see if she was alright, but as a pacer i can’t very well be giving priority treatment. She was to rejoin us before later kabooming anyway :p

The miles ticked by one by one on the never ending drags and i was comfortable (ish) at the pace. I made sure to get extra water bottles at each station for the pacees. Heading through town the legs started feeling a bit heavy and from here on in i was willing it to end tbh. We were about 5 secs down at mile 10 but eased ahead as i passed home and my old school. Mile 12 was our fastest (about 8’15) as we finished in 1’49’39. Perfect pacing again (3 from 3 :D). Legs were strangely heavy afterwards during the drinking session and were laden with DOMS on Monday. Enjoyable experience though a good weekend. I’ll pace the half here every year if i can. Doubt i’ll ever pace DCM again.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175922221

Weekly Review, 26 mls and 4 runs. Wednesdays run was great but the pacing job was a little alarming. The comeback was never gonna be easy anyway.

Yearly Mileage, 634.5 mls

Tues 8th May, 3 mls recovery in the heath in 27'45 (9'15) . Still a bit of DOMS and felt rough enough from the weekend. Av HR 150. 150 or under was my recovery zone last year so i assume its similar.

Might try the club session later and take it handy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

. I left my Garmin at home so i borrowed RK’s. She was aiming for the same time anyway so it was no big loss for her :p

Man logic, right there :pac:

Advertisement