Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Back To My Best

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Jeez Brian, that don't sound good. Roadrunner's right, i'ld go see that doc quicker if walking up stairs is a problem. Mind how you go and take it easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Make sure you ask for a full set of bloods as something's up. Try get seen today and you should get results back early next week. I would be holding off on any race decisions until the results come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

The advice above is sound, make sure the Doc checks everything, don't be fobbed off. My Doc mentioned too much iron being an issue for Irish people so I'd be wary of an iron supplement without direction, this test should be part of your bloods anyway and don't forget a throat swab!!!

Go today!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Mr Slow wrote: »
    The advice above is sound, make sure the Doc checks everything, don't be fobbed off. My Doc mentioned too much iron being an issue for Irish people so I'd be wary of an iron supplement without direction, this test should be part of your bloods anyway and don't forget a throat swab!!!

Go today!!!

This is good advice, generally when runners are feeling run down I'd assume it was an iron deficiency but iron chelation could be an issue I suppose. Having said that I don't think it is that common. Get the blood test anyway and that will answer all your questions and yes get it done today, if you'd broken a bone you would have went to hospital, this is as important.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Didn't realise you were that bad. Sounds kinda virusy, I remember you posted a few weeks ago about feeling like you were on the verge of overtraining?

Anyway, rest up. No training now will be of any benefit and even if you're ok you won't miss out on anything by not training for a few days. Rest doesn't mean going to the horses or any of that crap either. Stay home, chill out, be bored out of your skull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Logging some runs which makes a change :D

Tues 20th-Sat 24th, 5 rest days in a row. Not good, felt horrible and walking uphill or upstairs was a chore. Noticed a bit of a change come Saturday though.

Sun 25th Mar, 3 mls recovery in the heath in 28'00 (9'20). Took it very slowly and eased into it. It was ok thankfully :)

Weekly Review, A grand total of 10.5 mls for the week after 7.5 mls at 8'25 pace Monday (which was supposed to be 10 plus 8 at MP but that wasnt happening. The week after Silverstone was 30 mls FWIW.

Mon 26th Mar, 5 mls easy in the heath in 41'20 (8'16), felt ok throughout.
    Had a blood test in the morning, more or less fainted afterwards :o No real diagnosis from the doc, he's letting the test results do the talking.

Tues 27th Mar
    , 3 mls recovery in 27'26 (9'09) in the heath, taking a softly softly approach at the mo. 20 mins outdoor core after. Glorious weather.

Weds 28th March, 7 mls in 55'25 (7'55) down toward Regents Park and ran through it rather than the outer circle of hell for a change. 23 degrees here today and the park was packed with runners. Great day for it and felt pretty good, like i am back :)

Its a matter of of proceeding with caution from here as i wait for the test results. The Reading Half is on Sunday (entered since Oct) and is a sellout 18,500 runner event. Its too good to miss (best race i've ever done) and the plan is to run it at MP, even if its before i get the blood test results. Not much i can do about the last 2 weeks since Silverstone. Its been a big blow but i'll have less pressure on me now for London.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Brian, just catching up on your log now. Wow, you've definitely been in the wars. Hopefully you will fighting fit again soon.

Fri 30th Mar, 5 mls in 39'50 (7'58) in the heath. Bit slow to get going but good 2nd half, legs fesher after the rest day Thursday.

Sat 31st Mar
    , 3 mls recovery in 27'10 (9'03) in the heath. Felt pretty good and ready for the test of the Reading Half at MP tomorrow.

Making my Wembley Stadium debut this afternoon for Sarries vs Quins then following it up with Munster beating Leinster later on tongue.gif Hope to keep the drink to a minimum rolleyes.gif

March Review, 130.5 mls. It all went pearshaped after the 20 miler in Dublin at the start of the month with my first DNF since Rotterdam 2010, looks to be getting back to normal now though.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

then following it up with Munster beating Leinster

Famous last words ;)

Famous last words ;)

Jinx! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

March Review, 130.5 mls. It all went pearshaped after the 20 miler in Dublin at the start of the month with my first DNF since Rotterdam 2010, looks to be getting back to normal now though.

Great to hear Brian, with three weeks to go fingers crossed you're back to 100% for the 22nd!

Sun 1st April

1'29'34 chip time for me today. Always planned to do this race at sub 3 MP as its so close to London (3 weeks away), and after the last few weeks todays run took on even more importance.

Due to tube line suspensions i more or less had to cycle to Paddington (30 min cycle) to make the 8:42 train and the legs felt fairly tied after it. I got down to the start beside the Madejski Stadium about 15 mins before, threw in the kit bag and did my warm up down to the start. However it was a bit further than i remembered and i missed the start by 2 mins. I crossed the start line just behind the 1'40 pacers and i was passing people the whole race really.

Things got tough after 4 or 5 mls as i was hitting the 6'50's one by one and i had to dig in around 8-9 mls after we passed through town and from there onwards i was willing it to end. I was a few seconds down at 11 mls so upped it a bit to clock 6'35 and 6'30 for the last 2. Worryingly though i couldnt help but feel the tank was close to empty at the finish. I doubt i could have gone much faster than 1'26 today.

But all in all its a good run to get done, even if its not the confidence boost i wanted. My first thought as i cross the line was that i'd be lucky to break 3'10 in London. But given the last 3 weeks today was never gonna be easy.

Great race as always, the stadium finish was great, i'd recommend it to anyone. Doubt there is a better race on this planet but we'll see what London is like smile.gif

Bazman had a great run to finish 7th in 66 mins.

Weekly Review
    , 37 mls and 6 runs. Not great but better.

Yearly Mileage, 536.5 mls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Doubt there is a better race on this planet.

Jaysus, that is some statement! :eek:

04072511 wrote: »
    Jaysus, that is some statement! :eek:

It's easily the best i've ever done. London, Great North Run and NYCM are the only 3 that have any shot of eclipsing it in my book.

Mon 2nd Apr, 3 mls recovery in 27'30 (9'10) in the heath. Quite alarming level of DOMS, the worst the legs have been after a race up to a half. And it was supposed to be a training run.

19 days to London, dear god :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Mon 2nd Apr, 3 mls recovery in 27'30 (9'10) in the heath. Quite alarming level of DOMS, the worst the legs have been after a race up to a half. And it was supposed to be a training run.

19 days to London, dear god :(

It's been a few weeks since you have done much, I would expect that - Bet your feeling good in the next few days again, how did those tests going? have you been taking anything?

shels4ever wrote: »
    It's been a few weeks since you have done much, I would expect that - Bet your feeling good in the next few days again, how did those tests going? have you been taking anything?

No news from the test results, they're expected today or tomorrow.

Taking multivitamins alright, but not seeing much benefit.

Yeah i guess, but its scary to think my legs have forgotten how to run long given its 4 weeks since my last LSR. I'll be doing 17/18 mls this Saturday which will give me an idea.

No news from the test results, they're expected today or tomorrow.

Taking multivitamins alright, but not seeing much benefit.

Yeah i guess, but its scary to think my legs have forgotten how to run long given its 4 weeks since my last LSR. I'll be doing 17/18 mls this Saturday which will give me an idea.
    Yep i've been on pharmaton for the last couple of week to make sure nothing goes wrong.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Yep i've been on pharmaton for the last couple of week to make sure nothing goes wrong.

I can see you getting your leg caught in the door of a tube or something, your not safe until you get on that start line :D Have you someone lined up to give your number to yet? ;)

My blood sample should be centrifuging nicely, ready to go back in on Apr 22nd :p

I can see you getting your leg caught in the door of a tube or something, your not safe until you get on that start line :D Have you someone lined up to give your number to yet? ;)

My blood sample should be centrifuging nicely, ready to go back in on Apr 22nd :p
    :).
    The only time that will happen will be on the tube after the race, when i'm hammered.

• Advertisement

Tues 3rd Apr, rest day, legs were still smashed from Sunday.

Weds 4th Apr
    , 4 x 1ml at MP on the track in the heath this evening.

2 mls w/u then;

6'48, 6'54, 6'52, 6'51 (2 min jog recovery)

1km w/d for 7 mls total.

Not a tough one on paper but given Reading last Sunday and recent events it wasnt the easiest in the world and happy to get through it.

Blood Test Results,

Letter from the doc today, all fine apart from;

"there was a minor abnormality in your full blood count. Your Platelet count was just below the normal range. Platelets are part of the clotting system of the body. I suspect this was simply transient and i suggest we repeat the tests in a months time"

Nothing to worry about really and i will be talking to him tomorrow to discuss the implications for my running and if i can perform properly in London. I'm told it sounds like a side effect of overtraining or under recovering. Part of me is happy it showed something, Silverstone etc was just too bad to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Was running around Reading myself last week including some of the route and quite enjoyed it. Does the route pass through the oracle?

Was running around Reading myself last week including some of the route and quite enjoyed it. Does the route pass through the oracle?

The side of it yeah on the bridge over the canal. Thats at the 10k mark.

Thurs 5th April, 4 mls easy in the heath, no watch. This run wasnt pretty at all and i felt fairly drained. Truth be told it feels like i've lost most of my fitness :(

Heading to Dublin and Limerick for Easter now and hoping the change of scenery helps my running.

Thurs 5th April, 4 mls easy in the heath, no watch. This run wasnt pretty at all and i felt fairly drained. Truth be told it feels like i've lost most of my fitness :(

Heading to Dublin and Limerick for Easter now and hoping the change of scenery helps my running.

Go to bed and sleep for 10 hours, bet your next run feels better

Fri 6th April, 5 mls easy in 41 mins (8'12) This run was much better than yesterday. Not working helped no doubt.

Sat 7th April, 13 mls LSR with Mr. Slow in the Phoenix Park in 1'47 (8'18). Not feeling it during this run and didnt feel comfortable after 2 or 3 mls but got through it with promises of an ice cream cone from Mr. Slow after, which was delivered (with 2 fingers) ;)

Sun 8th April, headed home to Limerick for the rugby, never a chance to run really and probably for the best.

33 mls and 5 runs for the week.

Mon 9th April, met Meno this morning for 7 mls easy in the park. Felt better today and did it in 57'40 (8'15) All the same though things still are not right and a decision on London will need to be made in the next week or so. Struggling round the course doesnt appeal to me whatsoever. Then again i could line up and see what happens on the day.

^ Let's just be clear, two flakes. You made it sound like we got to the ice-cream van and I signalled you to fcuk off! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I was picturing Marigolds :eek:

Thurs 12th Apr, 30 mins recovery run in the heath. Roughly 9 min miling. It was mostly ok until the last 5 mins when my i started to get a bit lightheaded.

Strange how this thing is hanging around and not really getting much better with time. London is 10 days away now and i'd rate myself as 50/50 to run it.

On a different note there was an graded meet on the track (just 400m from my house) with A,B and C races over loads of distances. This was the first one of the season. Definitely gonna try and give these a lash over the summer if i get back in form. All early summer racing plans have been shelved for the moment though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

sorry to read about your problem brian. Seems a strange one. Hope it clears up soon. Can always run it very slowly and enjoy the course

Advertisement