Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager 2011 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

0-0 at home to Zilina, only managed one shot on goal but a defensive master class from my lot of minnows. Fully expect to lose away from home but I think I've finally figured a system to stop leaking goals from set pieces.

Crazily unexpected lads. I'm going to go into a bit of depth here. For those of you that have followed my posts over the last week or so, I downloaded the San Marino leagues for my FM game. I've taken control of SS Cosmos who, like the rest of the San Marinese teams are pretty dire. There's also no youth or reserve team which is irritating.

I've been able to win the league and cup double twice in a row and then just the league in my most recent season. Very few of the players cost anything and many have no contracts with their teams so it's relatively easy to put together the best side in the league.

The fun bit for me is trying to increase the stature of the club, the league and even the national team. To do this, I need results in Europe. My first European adventure with Cosmos saw us progress past Luxembourgian opposition before being hammered by Viking in the 2nd Qualifying Round. The following year we went one better and squeezed past Elfsborg on away goals. We were no match for Steua in Qual Round 3 though and likewise with Bursaspor in the Europa League playoff round.

Bring on this season. My team is primarily made up of young Italians who have been released and settled for the modest surroundings of a stadium with 80 seats in it. The money that I had gotten from previous European campaigns has improved the training facilities slightly, this will need to continue. I brought in a new goalkeeper Luca Quadroni and a left winger Giovanni Barone. If my training facilities continue to improve, these guys should earn me more cash down the line. My talisman is Gionatha Spinesi, he's getting on now but he's by far and away my best player which says something for the quality of the league (which has moved up to the 841st ranked league in Europe as of this season).

Our performances last season in Europe allowed us to begin in Qualifying Round 2 which I was actually slightly disappointed with as I enjoyed getting the match practice in over the Luxembourg/Andorran Champions. We came in unseeded, as expected and were drawn against Jablonec. I hadn't loaded the Czech leagues so they had a lot of decent generated players. We shocked them with a fantastic 1-0 win away from home to progress to an equally tough tie against Zilina of Slovakia. I did not expect to progress past this one as we had a huge slice of luck against Jablonec. The first leg was nail-biting stuff, we barely got out of our own half and only managed one shot on goal. For the second leg, it was hard to do much different to my tactics only to make sure that we kept it equally tight and hope for the best.

What transpired was incredible. We went to Slovakia, won easily and deservedly so. I've taken advice off some of ye lot here about keeping things simple with limited players and that's paid dividends, along with some reading up I did about defending set pieces which has stopped that rot. As you can see from the players I've shown you, we're a pretty abysmal lot that any self-respecting Czech/Norwegian/Slovakian team should be ripping into. That certainly won't be the case anymore. We're now guaranteed at least a place in the Europa League group stages which is plenty of €€€€€€ for my board to go and do up the youth/training facilities again. We've been seeded for the draw but Rapid Vienna should prove a bridge too far.

So San Marinese football is on the right track now despite only boasting a population of 30,000 or so. Other sides will benefit from much improved co-efficients and it may take 20/30 seasons but the national side may boast some household names some day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,203 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Don't want to post on this page now because everything will seem weak compared to Voltwads achievement :pac:

Signed this fella in January for 30k. It's now August and he's worth 210k with a few teams showing interest in the window..Ajax..Dortmund..Lyon among others. He's improved a good bit in the last few months.

rsz_2mchunu.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Just made a schoolboy error, about to lose my main central midfielder on a freebie as I didn't renew his contract quick enough. Damn you Rory Delap and Drogheda, I hope everything doesn't go hunky dory.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Just made a schoolboy error, about to lose my main central midfielder on a freebie as I didn't renew his contract quick enough. Damn you Rory Delap and Drogheda, I hope everything doesn't go hunky dory.

You could say you hope everything doesn't go.... hunky rory

• Advertisement

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Don't want to post on this page now because everything will seem weak compared to Voltwads achievement :pac:

Signed this fella in January for 30k. It's now August and he's worth 210k with a few teams showing interest in the window..Ajax..Dortmund..Lyon among others. He's improved a good bit in the last few months.

rsz_2mchunu.png
    Make sure you renew his contract ASAP with a release clause. With good training facilities he'll develop nicely

Mchunu1.png

fuuuuu.jpg

Found my next challenge. Have been appointed manager of PSV.

No player at all wants to move to the club... at all. Can't even bring anyone in on loan its that bad. Am recruiting scouts to send around the place and try and get younger players as they're easier to sign.

CL draw, and whatta you know....

Picture8-3.png

Had to happen I suppose...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Is it just me or are not enough goals scored from direct free kicks? halfway through the season and only 4 teams have scored one.

• Advertisement

Ended up losing that South African lad. Wolfsburg offered 650k, 25% from next sale and a friendly and the chairman accepted. He was upset after I rejected a bid from Hamburg so he would never have signed a new deal even if he qualified for a permit.

Now I need to find another AML :(

Won the league again last season. 3 in a row!. Starting to get linked with some decent jobs. Was one of the favourites for the Anzhi job after they were relegated but I told the media I wasn't interested. Think I'll bow out of Sligo after this season if I don't get to the Group Stages of a euro comp. I keep getting f**ked over in the draw. Got Young Boys last season and I was all over them in the first half of the first leg. Deservedly had a 1-0 lead then stupid Jay Tabb went and got himself sent off. Ended up losing 2-1 then 4-2 on aggregate after the second leg!

I fancy going to the Tippeligaen in Norway and give that a crack.

Team right now in January 14'. I'm flying through these seasons. The game is so fast because I've loaded half the leagues I usually do!

rsz_teamsligo1.jpg
    ShaneU wrote: »
    Is it just me or are not enough goals scored from direct free kicks? halfway through the season and only 4 teams have scored one.

I've scored a total of 1 free kick in 4 seasons. Joesph N'do back in 2011.

edit: Make that 2! I just scored another 3 years later :D

Picture8-4.png

How'd you on them apples Dortmund? Mwhahahaha :D

Playing like a maniac for the last 5 hours. Time for a few days break but first..

CL1.png

CL2.png

rsz_cl3.jpg

I messed up my league standing because I have been sending out backups for the last 5 or so games in between Europe. Derry have 2 games in hand and if they win both I'll be 7 points behind them and 1 behind Bohs. Don't care though. I'm delighted to have got to the CL Group Stage. After the Lech game I was really happy because I had qualified for the EL Group stage but then I got the best draw possible in the next round avoiding Celtic, Anderlecht, Partizan etc. and I ended up in the CL! :)

I got Real Madrid, Besiktas and Chelsea in my group. First game was Madrid at home which I just played...
    CL4.png

I should have won that! They had chances too of course but most were from outside the box. Beattie was 1 on 1 and Harewood was 1 on 1 and Casillas saved both times.
    I also had the ball in the net after 10 minutes but it was ruled out for a foul :(.

Still a great result against a side that had Ronaldo, Lukaku, Kaka, Elia, Khedira etc starting!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

So coming into the last game of the season with Notts County and have gained automatic promotion so happy days, have to start a clear out of the club now!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

fm2011 is on sale on steam for €12.50 if any of you haven't bought it yet

edit: also article on the ten best skins

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/16/the-10-best-skins-for-football-manager-2011/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I'd nearly buy it again on Steam for that price just so I don't have to put up with that DRM s**t and having to download some downloading software to download the damn game.

Really is an excellent price. I just love the fact they give you a Steam code when you buy the disc version. Having it permanently on my laptop is brilliant considering my fan goes into overdrive and tries to lift the thing into the air when there's a disc spinning inside.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/16/the-10-best-skins-for-football-manager-2011/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Oooooh... the Steklo, Onepiece and Neue. 2 are very nice... Might try out the Neue. 2 skin tomorrow

EDIT - After downloading and installing the above three, and changing the skin to Onepiece, I know wish I had waited until tomorrow... taking ages :(

Also, I'll throw up a few screenshots tomorrow in case anyone wants to see what they look like, other than those in the link

Hat-trick :pac:

Can't find the Steklo skin for some reason :confused:

Here's one screen of Onepiece

Picture5-1.png

And here's two from Neue. 2 - Really like this one

Picture8-5.png
    Picture9-5.png

I played the rest of that season there. I ended up 3rd in the league. Europe killed me in the league but I won the FAI Cup again so it wasn't too bad.

Results in the CL:
    Sligo 0-1 Madrid
    Besiktas 1-0 Sligo
    Sligo 1-2 Chelsea
    Chelsea 5-0 Sligo
    Madrid 4-0 Sligo
    Sligo 1-1 Besiktas

Wasn't as bad as I expected. It took ANOTHER injury time goal for Besiktas to beat me when I played them in Turkey. Should really have finished with 3 draws. 2 against Besiktas and 1 against Madrid but oh well.

I got offered the Brann and Terek Grozny jobs in October but I wanted to stay at Rovers and play against Madrid in November so I rejected both...December I was offered the Kaiserslautern job but I don't really want to go back to the Bundesliga again after I was there for 7 years in my FSV Frankfurt game.

The board gave me €4.1m/€32k P/W, current wage bill comes to €16k so I have lots of room for the new season so I'll see what I can do with that. Massive money for a LOI team.

I'm struggling to find players that are better than what I have. There's f**k all available!! Maybe I'll resign and wait for a nice Norwegian job to come available. The squad is aging. Zayed is 32, Beattie is 33. Denilson turned 38 in September and retired after the season just gone. I need to find new strikers but there's absolutely nothing good available.

• Advertisement

Unlucky in the CL and the League :(

After 4 years of trying, I've finally found out how to get the real Germany team in the game... Also, after clearing and compressing a load of old college work, I downloaded a new kit and logo pack for the German league. After I finish with it :rolleyes:

Looking for a decent face pack for the German league, French league and for the EPL... if there are any kind souls out there who can help??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

After just barely winning the league with PSV I've resigned and joined Juventus. Wanted the Napoli job but that went to Mark Hughes :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Wont there just a be a whole new version out of the new season?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

Yes and no. New versions of FM are usually not released until the last week of October.

You'll easily get your money's worth from 3 months of gameplay for that price!

But... but that's months away! Could be October/November until you get to play it :(

Quick update from Cosmos of San Marino. Thanks to our European adventures, the league's reputation has gone up 314 places to 537th. Still only half a star though! Our seeding hasn't changed but we have moved up 129 places to 423rd in Europe so a similar season in European competition will be needed to progress further as a club. Updates on that to follow!

Edit - The club has just turned professional. Don't know what I'm going to do with a transfer budget of 2 million either :D I'm hoping we get a parent club to send us in some youth players and we'll have new training/youth facilities again by Christmas. Onwards and upwards

Euro results:

2nd Qual Rd. Leg 1
    2nd Qual Rd. Leg 2

A fantastic tie against a strong side. We were excellent at home and had a bit of luck away. Next up is Bit O'Red, Sligo Rovers in the 3rd Qualifying Round. They actually beat Zilina to get this far, the side we beat in the 3QR last year. Will be a tough tie but hopefully we can progress again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It pisses me off so much that Championship teams can never get work permits for players. I mean surely if a player has a few youth caps and a club is willing to spend 500k+ on him he deserves one?

The level of stadium expansion with AFC Wimbledon that I am experiencing is fairly annoying too. You start off with a 4500 stadium and so far despite being promoted 3 times and it being 99% full at least every week they haven't done anything except change terraces to seats and this is leading to pretty big monthly losses that are only being offset by my activity in the transfer market.

There has to be a scout button introduced beside a players name when you are looking at the team screen too. Unless there already is a quicker way than going into his profile, going to scout player and through 2 other sub menus?

Right now it looks like being my 2nd season stuck midtable in the Championship. I have some very good young players but I don't know if I'll be able to hold onto them with the likes of City, Arsenal etc. sniffing around every transfer window so in the Summer I'll really be struggling to rebuild I think...

Is there any way I can remove cups from the competition rankings in the game? I'd like to see where the LOI is without the cups from other countries being included in the list. Just league v league.

If not I hope they make it an option in FM12.

• Advertisement

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Is there any way I can remove cups from the competition rankings in the game? I'd like to see where the LOI is without the cups from other countries being included in the list. Just league v league.

If not I hope they make it an option in FM12.

I don't think thats an option but it would be a great idea.

Also, where did you get your database for the lower leagues for Germany? Downloaded one myself from sortitoutsi.com but there's an error with the file that the relegated team play in the division they are relegated from as well as the division they're relegated to at the same time.

Also tried a file from fm-base.com but there's an error in the file that there's a team missing in the 4/5th tier of the division or something so it doesn't work either :(

Advertisement