Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager 2011 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,226 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm about to play the last game in the 2011 Airtricity League season and it is SO CLOSE.

http://omg.wthax.org/tableloi.png

Fixtures of importance are:

Sligo Rovers v Pats
    UCD v Bohs
    Shams v Galway

Both of my strikers have been injured for the last month but Eoin Doyle stepped up and has scored 4 or 5 in the last few games.

I'm scared :pac:

CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!

:D

I had a 1-0 lead over Pats for most of the game. Meanwhile over in Tallaght, Galway had just taken a 3-0 lead in the 80th minute over Shams and were in first by +1 on goal difference! :(

Up step my (other) Cameroonian superstar, Alain N'Kong. He popped up in the 89th minute with a close range goal to give me a 2-0 lead and leave me and Galway on +29 goal difference. I took the title on goals scored :D.

http://omg.wthax.org/tableloi2.png

Won the league, have the FAI Cup final v Pats to come and made a profit. Lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Unreal!

Last season, 2013, I went into the last day, 1 point ahead of Bohs, needing a win against Bray to secure the title. Was missing a few players because of international duty too. Won 2-0.

IN 2011, I need a win to secure the title, I lost but so did Derry City in their match and we secured the title!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Won the league, have the FAI Cup final v Pats to come and made a profit. Lovely!

No way your gonna lose that anyway. Pats and that FAI Cup just doesn't happen :D

Comfortable 1-0 win in the Final last night :).

It's February and I've signed a 35 year old Brazilian striker named Denilson. He still has good physical stats for his age. I only signed him because he has one name and he's Brazilian of course. I've always wanted one at Sligo Rovers :D.

Also picked up Jason Byrne, Dan Murray and Quinton Fortune on frees. Fortune broke his foot in pre-season and wont be back till July!. Only on €500 P/W so it's not a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

As in former Man U Quinton Fortune and 2002 world cup winner Denilson?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

LOL.

I started a new game yesterday too, Liverpool and the EPL was boring me.

Started with Pro Vercelli of Siere C2 to try bring the club back to their former glories! C'mon the lads!
    San Marino league is ridiculous. Won the league and cup double in the first season by taking the best players on free transfers from other clubs and paying them between £8 and £15 a week :pac: The league then moved two places up to the 1,072th placed league in the world.

Got through the first qualifying round against Dudelange of Luxembourg before being dumped out by Viking of Norway at the 2nd stage. The club value has rocketed now to 250k so hopefully within 10 seasons I'll have professional status!

As in former Man U Quinton Fortune and 2002 world cup winner Denilson?

Quinton, yes. Denilson, no. My Denilson has no caps for Brazil. My one has spent a lot of time in the UAE and 2 years in Korea.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Quinton, yes. Denilson, no. My Denilson has no caps for Brazil. My one has spent a lot of time in the UAE and 2 years in Korea.

Know the one, he used to be with PSG

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Have just started a new game with Airbus in the Welsh Principality Premier

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

First season nearly over with Real. Since November in 8th position Im now in 2nd, 6 points behind Barcalona and in the Final of the Spanish Cup and Champions League, against my former club 'Pool. :pac: 4 games in the league to play and I dont see Barca slipping up but I'll try!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

In my game in 2015, the great Stephen Ireland now plays for Milan :pac:

Best 4k I've spent :)

http://omg.wthax.org/denilson.png

CL draw was tough. I got Partizan in the 2nd round and lost 5-3 on aggregate. If I had won I would have faced a crap Kazakh team in the next round :(. Why is the Setanta Cup prize money so high in the game? I got nearly €500k for winning it!

job.png

I'll pass Shams! :D

Lads would you not go out and have a few cans and maybe try to find a woman?

No.

I don't drink and my current woman would probably cut my genitals off if I tried to go out and find another. Bless her.

Have just started a new game with Airbus in the Welsh Principality Premier
    I did the Welsh league with Caersws in FM10, it was really irritating but maybe the changing league reps will help out. Good luck

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Voltwad wrote: »
    I did the Welsh league with Caersws in FM10, it was really irritating but maybe the changing league reps will help out. Good luck

Ye that's the only reason I'm trying it. I can imagine it getting very boring very quickly with only 1 league. I'll keep plugging away as long as I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Starting my first game now with Real Madrid. :)

After 2156 days in charge of Borussia Dortmund, leading them to 5 titles in 6 seasons, 1 Europa League trophy, 4 German Cups, 1 European Super Cup, 1 Club World Championship, 5 German U-19 titles, 2 German U-19 Cups and 4 German Super Cups, I have decided to step down as manager.

After six seasons of hard work and perfecting the team, making it the youngest in the league with some of the most talented players, I have taken the team as far as I can, culminating with a victory that secured only their 2nd Champions League trophy, against the most famous of all clubs Real Madrid. Not only was it my final game in charge, it was also the greatest in Dortmund's and my history.

Picture10.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    After 2156 days in charge of Borussia Dortmund, leading them to 5 titles in 6 seasons, 1 Europa League trophy, 4 German Cups, 1 European Super Cup, 1 Club World Championship, 5 German U-19 titles, 2 German U-19 Cups and 4 German Super Cups, I have decided to step down as manager.

Did you control the U-19s yourself?

Desire. wrote: »
    Did you control the U-19s yourself?

Yup... took a lot of time but it was worth it. My young lads are playing the same tactics and same formation as my 1st team and when I put some in for cup matches they excelled. I don't know whether this was by sheer coincidence or what not but it worked out well.

Also I should correct my previous post... I'd won the CL in my third season too :o:p So thats two CL trophies... so many trophies... hard to keep count :cool:

• Advertisement

You're a god.

I've never seen anyone beat Real like that with any team let alone Dortmund!

I need to try controlling my youth side next time I play a game with a big team.

You're a god.

I've never seen anyone beat Real like that with any team let alone Dortmund!

I need to try controlling my youth side next time I play a game with a big team.

:D

These are the screenshots I took after the match.

The two teams, and both formations
    Picture4-4.png

The match stats
    Picture8-2.png

I've no idea how it happened. As soon as the first goal went in I thought to myself, defend, as I'd expected Real to go hammer and tongs to get the equaliser. But I didn't, and then the second went in. I then thought when it gets to 15/20 minutes, I have to move Sahin back in alongside Sandro as another anchor man. But by then I was checking out the stats and plain forgot. Then the third went in and by now I was like f**k it lets see what happens, expecting Real and Ronaldo to give me a whooping. By half time and 5-0 up, it was like a dream. Then the 2nd half it was more of the same. And by the end I was in 7th heaven :pac:

My normal formation for everyday games like league and cups is this.

Picture11-1.png

This formation utilises my quick, pacy wingers to be backed up by players who can get the ball to them while relying on a very strong central defence and a very mobile anchor man to protect the defence as well as the ball carrier from midfield.

And this is often the formation I use when playing away against the bigger sides in Europe, and the one I used when I won the CL against United.

Picture12.png

This formation utilises the strengths of my full-backs, who are able to play as wing-backs. Both have good pace and acceleration are are excellent crossers of the ball. The two central men have excellent passing and composure meaning they are unlikely to lose the ball under pressure are excellent at controlling the tempo.

These are the tactics I use, regardless of formation.

Picture9-4.png

It's the best way to utilise the strengths of my players in that they are all quick, highly mobile and have a great first touch. I work on my teams passing more than anything in pre-season and by the start of the season they are all well adept at passing and receiving the ball.

I've been linked with FC Zwolle in the Eredivisie(albeit right after relegation was confirmed) and Krylia Sovetov in Russia after 18 months at Sligo. I started with Sunday league experience so I'm really suprised by that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I was going to start a new game thinking of what the largest cities are with only one major club of note and little recent success. I facepalmed myself when Berlin and Paris ought to have been more obvious to me.

But don't know who to go with though. Hertha Berlin or PSG? Hmmm.

As someone who used to go to le Parc des Princes when I lived there, all I can say is:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrLI4zgRZvl6-DmZwEbNDGo-7vX51R9gtP29bY6E0DxSItDx_N

Ici c'est Paris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

What are you meant to do when a bunch of players start moaning about the lack of discipline at the club?

What are you meant to do when a bunch of players start moaning about the lack of discipline at the club?

Keep an eye on your tackling and foul stats for the next few games, it could simply be your team giving away too many free kicks. Also start handing out warnings for poor performances i.e. when a player gets a rating of under 6.5 or fines for under 6.0. Also, take a zero tolerance stance on sendings off. First player with two yellows - 1 week fine, first straight red - 2 week fine. If they moan about either the warnings or the fines, select the appropriate response option - that they're being disrespectful or what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Discipline players for training poorly over the past month also. Do it for youths and firsts alike. Let them know that you're not happy with them and if they're unreasonable make a note of it. Do it twice and I'll talk to them about their poor attitude and warn that I'll transfer list them. Older players generally have poor months of training so more than likely the same guys will be training poorly, but they tend to take any criticism better. If a player misses training it's 2 weeks fine, and possibly dropped. Regular chats with players for poor/good performances also helps build better relationships with players.

Normally after a match I go to the fixtures screen and evaluate the players performance from their ratings:

4.9 or lower: Fine of 2 weeks wages.
    5.9 to 5.0: Fine 1 weeks wages.
    6.0 to 6.3: Discipline for unacceptable performance.
    6.4 to 6.7: Discipline for disappointing performance.
    7.4 to 8.4: Impressed me in the last game.
    8.5 or higher: Delighted me in the last game.

Player form is different as depending on the player's past you might be over or under praising them.

6.6 and below: Form unacceptable.
    6.7 to 6.9: Form disappointing.
    7.3 to 7.5: Pleased with form.
    7.5 and above: Delighted with form.
    I've had C. Ronaldo get 8.9 form in his last 5 matches so some world class players might be unique. Perhaps scale it in accordance with the level of your players. I've used the above for prem/seria a/ la liga.

If you're players pick up reds and yellows often try setting your tackling to easy or normal. Having a player with on hard tackling, poor decision making/tackling and high aggression is just a recipe to be sent off. If you're tackling is already set on low and they still get sent off then 2 weeks wages for each occurrence will soon restore order.

Just beat a tough Czech side, Jablonec in the 2nd Qualifying Round of the Champions League with Cosmos in my San Marino game :D Zilina await in the next round but once again another 2 euro ties guaranteed at least = €€€€€€€€

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

As someone who used to go to le Parc des Princes when I lived there, all I can say is:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrLI4zgRZvl6-DmZwEbNDGo-7vX51R9gtP29bY6E0DxSItDx_N

Ici c'est Paris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you managing them? if u havent started be sure to give them a sugar daddy becoz its realistic since they were taken over recently.

Advertisement