Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭smurra3

longshanks wrote: »
    You're from Cork

My god Longshanks 1,852 posts and you still don't know there is to be no joking.
    Tisk tisk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Updated to 2.2 last night. My big hopes were for the lag to disappear and for the GPS to work to an acceptable level.

Lag does seem better and I discovered a post on XDA which I followed and Google Navigation now seems to work much much better. Here's the post for those of you who are having problems with your GPS:

"Here is a complete run-down of the GPS settings (explanations of the functionality they govern and the effects they will or will not have on the GPS signal) that take away the issues described above as set in LbsTestMode and result in the best observed GPS performance:

LbsTestMode can be enabled with the following key combinations in the dialler:

Android 2.1 - *#*#1472365#*#*
    Android 2.2 - *#*#3214789650#*#*

Application Settings:

1. Session Type: Tracking

A chipset feature which helps to boost SNR in poor RF environments)

2. Test Mode: S/W Test

3. Operation Mode: Standalone

The most important setting as this is the setting. Standalone or MS-Based. Not MS Assisted. I have had the best results with Standalone, cutting the whole Assisted-GPS segment out of the equation. That way I don't have to worry about who's databases are up to date, which base stations might inaccurate etc. The standalone mode is able to do everything you need at the cost of slightly increased start times if not used for some time.

4: Start Mode: Hot Start

This has nothing to do with re-downloading almanacs. It simply resets precise satellite timing data that must be extracted from the GPS signal to compute an accurate pseudo range. It’s good for about 4-6 hours. If you leave your GPS off for longer then the ‘ephemeris’ data will be re-downloaded anyway regardless of the Hot/Cold start settings. The GPS can’t be ‘more or less accurate’ with or without it, its simply a case that the ephemeris must be updated before you can get any position. You can sync the clock every time if you want, personally I’d choose ‘Hot Start’ and save a few minutes every time a GPS app is destroyed!

5: GPS Plus: On

The GPS Plus is the Wide Area Augmentation Service, extra satellites that transmit a deviation correction to correct minor positional inaccuracies within the space segment of GPSl. Not available globally (North America and Japan, maybe Europe and India by the time the phone is obsolete). Having it on will not cause problems if WAAS is unavailable in your region.

6: Dynamic Accuracy: On

This setting is used to filter data that is judged statistically to be in error based on deviation from the Circular Error Probability (CEP) calculated by the GPS system.

7: Accuracy: 30m

I believe that this is a cut-off for the overall GPS positional accuracy. If over this threshold the GPS will not report the position. I have yet to see a figure of more then 20 meters, so leave at 30. GPS precision is far more complicated then a simple inaccuracy based on distance)

8: GPS Logging: Off

SUPL/CP Settings:

This is a network layer operated by cellular operators. It delivers the AGPS data like timing corrections and the almanac to your phone as well as allowing a network operator to provide you with various location based services (and make more money from you). If you wanted to download the almanac from satellites it would take a minimum of 12.5 minutes and would need to be done every time you turned your GPS on if it had been off for weeks/months. The almanac has a long lifespan, so won’t age out in days, and the GPS receiver is still capable of downloading it from satellites if it can’t get it from the network, It also provides information to your mobile provider about where you are, regardless of your Google privacy settings so that they can provide you with location based services (so Google isn’t the only geolocation bogeyman!)

Again, I think there are lots of false leads here. The one thing that may be true is that the original SUPL provider on
    handsets was providing inaccurate data. Recommended settings:

Server FQDN Type: Custom Config
    Server: supl.google.com
    Server Port: 7276
    SUPL Secure Socket: OFF
    AGPS Mode: SUPL

Google do map WiFi hotspots in large cities, which is enabled by the "Use Wireless Networks" option in the android Menu. This may allow you to locate yourself accurately in an urban area where GPS is unusable. However, it is unlikely to provide tracking information for runners, probably providing street-corner location to pedestrians. This option may also activate the SUPL feature discussed above.

And that’s all you need.

I hope that that will be definitive. Using the above settings I get entirely accurate tracks from my phone using my GPS logging program."

Hope that's of some use.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭RustyP

Thanks for that BenEadir :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

BenEadir wrote: »
    Updated to 2.2 last night. My big hopes were for the lag to disappear and for the GPS to work to an acceptable level.

Hope that's of some use.

Ben
    RustyP wrote: »
    Thanks for that BenEadir :)

I wouldn't mess with GPS settings like that as they change from base-station to base-station and from cell to cell. You can't keep up with that level of information and you just have no access to it.

Second, I would like to say I am on Meteor and just upgraded my phone and it has solved all of my issues like GPS power and speed, It's great. Am still playing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I think I'm done with this phone. I started this thread back in June when I was trying to decide upon it or a HTC Desire. I went for the Galaxy S based on the internal storage and sound. Unfortunately I didn't think the software would cause as much problems as it has.

After upgrading to 2.2 the lag doesn't seem to have improved at all, in fact yesterday the phone completely locked up for about 30 seconds (several times over the day) while waiting for a text to come thrrough. It even stopped the music playing. I had to sit and wait because I knew it was one of a text, call or email. Between this and not being able to answer calls sometimes due to the lag I've given up. I had the lag fix installed before upgrading but i found it didn't make much of an improvement for day to day use. It only seemed to give good results on the benchmarks.

I think I'll go with a HTC desire HD and sell this thing on ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 mmmm...

Dbaby wrote: »
    Hey,
    Post from http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=1404

Hey guys,

This is due November 19th

User-updatable through Samsung’s ‘Kies’ PC studio software.

Thanks,
    Stephen
    Meteor talk to us

November 19th - still no updates. On Meteor bought from CPW :(

Alas, I'll keep checking throughout the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Do you have the latest version of Kies? Just read the servers won't talk to older versions, update or registry hack needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mmmm...

Yep, the latest and greatest version of Kies. The update button on this software is worn out with me hitting it!

Just been on to the Meteor forum and it looks like a few of us are in the same boat.

"We're checking this out and will update you shortly"

The sad thing is, I know when I get the update I'll be saying "what was that all about?" as my phone is working great, no lags, I don't use GPS etc...

I guess what I don't have makes me want to have it more - if you know what I mean :)

Yeah, I hear ya. :D

2.2 should run a lot faster, certainly did on the Desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

I think I'm done with this phone. I started this thread back in June when I was trying to decide upon it or a HTC Desire. I went for the Galaxy S based on the internal storage and sound. Unfortunately I didn't think the software would cause as much problems as it has.

After upgrading to 2.2 the lag doesn't seem to have improved at all, in fact yesterday the phone completely locked up for about 30 seconds (several times over the day) while waiting for a text to come thrrough. It even stopped the music playing. I had to sit and wait because I knew it was one of a text, call or email. Between this and not being able to answer calls sometimes due to the lag I've given up. I had the lag fix installed before upgrading but i found it didn't make much of an improvement for day to day use. It only seemed to give good results on the benchmarks.

Try the voodoo lag fix before you go, it might not change your mind but if it works properly your phone will run like lightening, just like mine. If you still dont like it get rid

• Advertisement

Upgraded mine yesterday and i swear the lag is 10 times worse.
    Some nice new features and skype now works but it's so slow.
    Going to try the voodoo lag fix later, fingers crossed.
    I'll post results later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Updated myself last night - meteor bill pay, and to be honest i havnt noticed a difference yet. I havn't had a chance to play with it - but im glad the speak to navigate option is finally there!
    I still can't get over the battery on this, i'm on my second day of using it pretty heavily and its still just under half way gone. this is a record for me with smartphones (the desire being particularly bad)
    I really am liking the samsung more and more lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Chrizfitz wrote: »
    Try the voodoo lag fix before you go, it might not change your mind but if it works properly your phone will run like lightening, just like mine. If you still dont like it get rid

To be honest, I also had issues with the phone crashing in the middle of a call. I've never experienced that in over 10 years of owning a mobile. I think I'll have to echo the thoughts of those at the beginning of this thread and say I'll never buy another Samsung phone again.

They make great televisions and screens and their hardware is usually very good but the software is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

So I am right in thinking that the update is determined by the serial number of the place where the phone was purchased rather than the network provider?

i.e. putting a Meteor sim into a phone with Vodafone branding won't make a difference?

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    So I am right in thinking that the update is determined by the serial number of the place where the phone was purchased rather than the network provider?

i.e. putting a Meteor sim into a phone with Vodafone branding won't make a difference?

Not the SIM or serial, the product code embedded in the firmware, but you can trick Kies to think you have another phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

JustinOval wrote: »
    Not the SIM or serial, the product code embedded in the firmware, but you can trick Kies to think you have another phone.

I see. I might have to do that. I have no update yet. I bought a SIM free phone here (Switzerland) with T-Mobile branding. T-Mobile don't even operate in Switzerland so I'm not sure how I will actually get it. My network provider (sunrise) aren't responsible for it and T-Mobile hardly care as I am not a customer of theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

my phone is really annoying me lately, keeps freezing and I have to keep resetting it :(

angel01 wrote: »
    my phone is really annoying me lately, keeps freezing and I have to keep resetting it :(

2.1 or 2.2?

smurra3 wrote: »
    2.1 or 2.2?

I am on 2.1, really hoping the update comes soon :(

angel01 wrote: »
    I am on 2.1, really hoping the update comes soon :(
    Really?
    Mine was running fine on 2.1 and went to s&*t when i upgraded it to 2.2:(

• Advertisement

What would happen if i did a factory reset?
    Would it clear everything and go back to 2.1 or stay at 2.2?

Really?
    Mine was running fine on 2.1 and went to s&*t when i upgraded it to 2.2:(

Right now, I am getting problems with the screen going to black and freezing and then I have to restart :(

Mine is definitely a little faster now on 2.2, still the occasional black screen though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

If you've already upgraded to 2.2 - after a factory reset you will stay on 2.2
    What would happen if i did a factory reset?
    Would it clear everything and go back to 2.1 or stay at 2.2?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Mine is definitely a little faster now on 2.2, still the occasional black screen though...
    You updated?? I thought you were on '3'....? or did you do it yourself?

I was about to try Voodoo but can't put the phone into download mode:o

Scotty # wrote: »
    You updated?? I thought you were on '3'....? or did you do it yourself?

Figured out the registry hack and updated to un-branded Froyo this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

@smurra3 - You can get your phone into download mode by following the guide in the video. You come to a point where in a DOS window you run 'adb reboot download'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_w_1TNixQ4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Welcome to the Dark Side :)

Try the voodoo lag fix!
    Figured out the registry hack and updated to un-branded Froyo this morning.

• Advertisement

Welcome to the Dark Side :)

Try the voodoo lag fix!

Cheers. Will do, need a 3BR fix first... :rolleyes:

Advertisement