Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Has anyone asked Patrick on the Talk to 3 forum when/if the update is due?

his reply....
    3: Patrick wrote: »
    I don't have a definate date yet, but I have been told that its coming very soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Read that Scotty, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I've got a little gripe I'm hoping someone can help me out with. When receiving texts, to 'read' them you have to actually click on the message which takes you out of the conversation and into just the text message, then you have to go back out to reply.

Am I missing something? It is getting annoying as I'm used to unlocking screen-reading the text, replying to the text and done! Now its unlock screen (using the puzzle piece) read text,click on text, go back, reply to text. It may be a small niggle, but getting pretty irritating!

You could try downloading SMS pop up, that is what I use, click reply and then Bob's your uncle, message is marked read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭budgemook

Still can't upgrade. Load of crap. I think it might be a problem with the phone rather than Kies. The initializing screen on the phone keeps restarting every 5 seconds. Anyone have that problem?

Was trying my mates PC but he is Windows 7 and it doesn't recognise the phone. Did anyone get it working with Windows 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I've got a little gripe I'm hoping someone can help me out with. When receiving texts, to 'read' them you have to actually click on the message which takes you out of the conversation and into just the text message, then you have to go back out to reply.

Am I missing something? It is getting annoying as I'm used to unlocking screen-reading the text, replying to the text and done! Now its unlock screen (using the puzzle piece) read text,click on text, go back, reply to text. It may be a small niggle, but getting pretty irritating!

This is fixed in 2.2 I hated it, it pushed me to use Handcent, but it's not an issue anymore in 2.2. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Riva

JustinOval wrote: »
    Yes, I agree - should be. But isn't.

Had the same woes, thought I was going crazy, it's actually in
    Settings> About Phone> Usb Settings

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

@budgemook - The crashing problem when trying to connect to Kies can be sorted if you do a factory reset of the phone before upgrading

This article suggests another fix but I had to backup and do a factory reset

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s/157617-solution-tutorial-galaxy-s-i9000-mtp-application-crashing.html

delynet wrote: »
    @budgemook - The crashing problem when trying to connect to Kies can be sorted if you do a factory reset of the phone before upgrading

This article suggests another fix but I had to backup and do a factory reset

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s/157617-solution-tutorial-galaxy-s-i9000-mtp-application-crashing.html

nah there are none of those files. Might do a factory reset...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Kies wants to update, but it downloads the files and freezes at 50% when it says it's installing them. Fecking pain in the arse.

budgemook wrote: »
    nah there are none of those files. Might do a factory reset...

Did a factory reset. Now it says connected on the phone but Kies says connecting. Getting mad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Still can't upgrade. Load of crap. I think it might be a problem with the phone rather than Kies. The initializing screen on the phone keeps restarting every 5 seconds. Anyone have that problem?

Was trying my mates PC but he is Windows 7 and it doesn't recognise the phone. Did anyone get it working with Windows 7?

Not a problem in windows 7

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

Top left in Kies - Choose option to reinstall drivers. Disconnect phone and reconnect. Happened to me as well

Its mad that end users have to go through this crap to get updates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Thank you all-think ill wait til I get home tonight before downloading sms pop up or the likes. We'll see what happens.

Re: getting it working with a windows 7 OS. Yes it does work, I had to reformat the card - then in USB settings set it up as a mass storage device first. This was the only way it would install the drivers. Every other time it wouldn't load anything!! It took me forever to get it working but doing the above has worked for me.

It's upgrading now. Pretty annoyed that I had to factory reset but what can you do. hopefully the upgrade will go without any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Riva wrote: »
    Had the same woes, thought I was going crazy, it's actually in
    Settings> About Phone> Usb Settings

Hope this helps

Yes, I know. LOL.

upgraded finally. not sure what the big deal is (flash i suppose) - i thought there was meant to be no lag. I noticed lag almost straight away when flicking through the home screens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

@budgemook, did you try a factory reset after the update? Read that it can help.

@budgemook, did you try a factory reset after the update? Read that it can help.

Ah it's grand now actually. I think it was because it was doing it initial sync with my google account. I was just a bit tetchy after spending 2 days trying to upgrade the fecker.

Anyone know how to get back the Samsung widgets menu after upgrade to Froyo? I really liked the Samsung task killer widget. Prefer it to Advance Task Killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Task Killer Apps - THE TRUTH

PS: I don't have a task killer listed in my Samsung Apps...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Got mine last week and if I could marry my phone I would and have lots of little mini Galaxy S babies with it :)

At the risk of sounding like a total numpty, I cannot for the life of me find my saved Bookmarks. I figured it out after a glass or two of red wine but have forgotten again so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

On the default browser click on the button in the top right, where the "X" to stop a web page usually lives. Your bookmarks are stored in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Thank you ever so much Rowley, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Thank you ever so much Rowley, much appreciated!

No worries. I hadn't the foggiest how to use my SGS for the first few days when I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Anyone know how to get back the Samsung widgets menu after upgrade to Froyo? I really liked the Samsung task killer widget. Prefer it to Advance Task Killer.

Do you mean the Samsung "Task Manager"?
    If so...... go through the normal process of adding a widget to the home screen, and it's called "program monitor".

Scotty # wrote: »
    Task Killer Apps - THE TRUTH

PS: I don't have a task killer listed in my Samsung Apps...?

It's in the Samsung Widgets (long hold on home screen > Samsung Widgets) and I think it was called Program Monitor or something.

The whole Samsung Widgets item is gone from that menu following upgrade.

Will read that article too. Maybe I don't even need one.

Do you mean the Samsung "Task Manager"?
    If so...... go through the normal process of adding a widget to the home screen, and it's called "program monitor".

Haha, funny. I see that the Samsung Widgets menu and Android Widgets menu have simply been merged. Fantastic.

Maybe I don't need it though. It's always Internet and Music Player that I have to kill. Everything else just ends when I use the back key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

they come to the phone and i cant open them . i see the name of the person and pdf file. but cant open it. phone shop guy didnt know but says if i get a business card from a nokia it may not open. this card from from a galaxy s. any ideas as to what im doing wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

they come to the phone and i cant open them . i see the name of the person and pdf file. but cant open it. phone shop guy didnt know but says if i get a business card from a nokia it may not open. this card from from a galaxy s. any ideas as to what im doing wrong ?

You're from Cork

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

longshanks wrote: »
    You're from Cork

Discuss the post, not the poster please! Insults will lead to bans

Advertisement