Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

cantalach wrote: »
    Nor should you have to. Unfortunately though, I'm beginning to suspect that a large percentage of the Android community don't get this. Speaking as somebody who has developed smartphone apps for 2-3 years, even I find the nerdiness on this thread a bridge tyoo far. 99.99% of smartphone users just want to walk into a shop, buy a smartphone, and have it work well without having to root, patch, flash, touch their nose, etc. If my experience with the Galaxy S (on Meteor) is representative of the Android experience in general, we have a long way to go yet. Rant ends.

Well these phones should work well out of the box, but some of the manufactures don't know there arse from there elbow.
    E.G, the SGS out if the box is ****e, without these developers and such I doubt there would be such a thing as a smart phone.
    All this talk falls into the category of nerdiness, that 99.99% is people who don't understand what a smartphone is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭cantalach

lewis wrote: »
    Check out the link in the Insanity forum, its a video explaining the basics of ROM's.

I rest my case. The guy asked if there's an official release, specifically saying that he wasn't interested in unofficial ROMs, and you start banging on about...unofficial ROMs. I accept that you're just trying to be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭cantalach

Well these phones should work well out of the box, but some of the manufactures don't know there arse from there elbow.
    E.G, the SGS out if the box is ****e,.

That's precisely my point. Users shouldn't have to depend on people like Darky to get their devices working satisfactorily. They should just work. Just in case it wasn't clear, my first post was first and foremost an indictment of the Android platform!
    without these developers and such I doubt there would be such a thing as a smart phone

You are overestimating the importance of people like Darky in the big picture, particularly when it comes to other smartphone platforms. I used and programmed BlackBerry devices for several years without ever feeling the need to flash a dodgy ROM (they don't even exist on that platform - the closest thing would be a leaked beta build coming from within RIM). I suspect it is the same with iOS, Winmo, webOS, etc.

Although I love the concept of Android (not least because I am a bit of a Google fanboy), it is an increasingly chaotic platform and I fear that may be its undoing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Telling someone thats as they put it, not too tech savy to install a custom rom is Insanity. There is very little wrong with the Galaxy S with 2.2.1 and updating to official 2.3 is a much better and safer option.

The official Samsung firmware was released and pulled again, not sure what state its in. There have also been a few leaked non official beta's. When it does get released officially again it'll be up to your provider to filter it to you their customer, they add their own branding.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That's precisely my point. Users shouldn't have to depend on people like Darky to get their devices working satisfactorily.

Then they could buy a phone that isn't as buggy software wise like the galaxy s is (it's buggyness is over-stated a bit, it's a perfectly usable phone just laggy last I checked). Something like the HTC phones, newer Sony phones, probably newer samsung phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 pcboy

I guess not many of us are using MIUI or CM7?

I rest my case. The guy asked if there's an official release, specifically saying that he wasn't interested in unofficial ROMs, and you start banging on about...unofficial ROMs. I accept that you're just trying to be helpful.

First I did`nt answer his Gingerbread question because there`s a thing that`s called Google, its great, he`d find the answer very quickly, but his comment on not understanding flashing a ROM was a bigger subject and would be harder to find and understand, so that`s why I gave him that link.

The fact that he`s not interested will change cause the stock firmware`s are crap compared to a custom ROM, that`s what makes these phones great, is that you can change that.
    If my experience with the Galaxy S (on Meteor) is representative of the Android experience in general, we have a long way to go yet. Rant ends.

Well then you must not have read enough to make it what it is, great.
    That's precisely my point. Users shouldn't have to depend on people like Darky to get their devices working satisfactorily. They should just work. Just in case it wasn't clear, my first post was first and foremost an indictment of the Android platform!

You are overestimating the importance of people like Darky in the big picture, particularly when it comes to other smartphone platforms. I used and programmed BlackBerry devices for several years without ever feeling the need to flash a dodgy ROM (they don't even exist on that platform - the closest thing would be a leaked beta build coming from within RIM). I suspect it is the same with iOS, Winmo, webOS, etc.

Although I love the concept of Android (not least because I am a bit of a Google fanboy), it is an increasingly chaotic platform and I fear that may be its undoing.

Jesus man, did someone drop your phone, did you get bullied by an iphone user.
    Your expectations are way to high, Android is what it is and like anything its getting better each day, if your not happy with it, get an iphone, you`ll have no worries with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Raoul

I think people need to calm down. Lewis wasn't recommending that the person flashed a custom rom, he was simply showing the person a video that explained what it was.

The SGS is a really good phone, but it becomes a great phone when you can get the best out of it such as installing a custom rom. Both insanity and darkness speed up the phone so much and there are other things which are much better. The GPS on Darkys is soo much faster. The internet is slightly faster. Plus I like the capability of putting on my own boot animation or completely changing the theme. (God I hated that Emobile boot animation and sound).

People aren't saying you MUST flash a custom rom, just trying to educate others. It is really a simple case of following instructions and I know from here that there are numerous people that are willing to help with whatever problems you have.

Raoul wrote: »
    I think people need to calm down. Lewis wasn't recommending that the person flashed a custom rom, he was simply showing the person a video that explained what it was.

The SGS is a really good phone, but it becomes a great phone when you can get the best out of it such as installing a custom rom. Both insanity and darkness speed up the phone so much and there are other things which are much better. The GPS on Darkys is soo much faster. The internet is slightly faster. Plus I like the capability of putting on my own boot animation or completely changing the theme. (God I hated that Emobile boot animation and sound).

People aren't saying you MUST flash a custom rom, just trying to educate others. It is really a simple case of following instructions and I know from here that there are numerous people that are willing to help with whatever problems you have.

100% agree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Could be your APN settings, can you use the market as normal on wifi, or is it just normal browsing you can do?

I cannot register the gmail account. I set up the gmail ac from the computer. Or do you even need to do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Hey,
    I bought a Samsung Galaxy S recently, and as I'm not exactly an expert in technology, but wanted to get the most out of the phone, I said I'd pop in here and have a look at what people are posting. Only thing is, I haven't a clue what you're all talking about!!:o

Does anyone know of any sites which can give me an Idiot's Guide to the Samsung? Bearing in mind that, until I bought the phone, I thought Android was that Data fella from Startrek!!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Raoul

Einhard wrote: »
    Hey,
    I bought a Samsung Galaxy S recently, and as I'm not exactly an expert in technology, but wanted to get the most out of the phone, I said I'd pop in here and have a look at what people are posting. Only thing is, I haven't a clue what you're all talking about!!:o

Does anyone know of any sites which can give me an Idiot's Guide to the Samsung? Bearing in mind that, until I bought the phone, I thought Android was that Data fella from Startrek!!

Thanks.

There isn't much to guide you! You just play about with the phone go into all the settings see what it does. Have a look at all the apps see what they do. Then go into the recommend apps thread, and see what you would like to do.

You can't break the phone by playing with the settings, most likely you cant. So just enjoy it and have a look at all the apps and get ones that seem interesting to you!

gimmick wrote: »
    I cannot register the gmail account. I set up the gmail ac from the computer. Or do you even need to do that?

You do it all from your phone, what are you running?
    Hey,

Thanks.

LMFAO, deadly.Play around with your phone and get used to it, browse the market and try different things out, when you feel comfortable, this is just a short video talking about ROM`s/flashing, made simple, it should give you an idea what all this who ha is all about...http://www.youtube.com/xdadevelopers#p/a/u/0/JLKhAYajeus

Then find your reading glasses cause there`s plenty of it here, again just have a browse through and get an idea what`s what....http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=656

Raoul wrote: »
    There isn't much to guide you! You just play about with the phone go into all the settings see what it does. Have a look at all the apps see what they do. Then go into the recommend apps thread, and see what you would like to do.

You can't break the phone by playing with the settings, most likely you cant. So just enjoy it and have a look at all the apps and get ones that seem interesting to you!

LMFAO, deadly.Play around with your phone and get used to it, browse the market and try different things out, when you feel comfortable, this is just a short video talking about ROM`s/flashing, made simple, it should give you an idea what all this who ha is all about...http://www.youtube.com/xdadevelopers#p/a/u/0/JLKhAYajeus

Then find your reading glasses cause there`s plenty of it here, again just have a browse through and get an idea what`s what....http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=656

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the middle of exploring the phone at the moment (sounds kinda kinky!:p), but there are a few things I can't figure out.

Like, what's the best way to transfer songs from i-Tunes to the phone- through Kies, or through an app? I tried it with the Kies, but it crashed, and then when I tried again, the song titles appeared, but none of the band info etc.

Asking such basic questions is probably the equivalent of posting in the English literature section and asking what end one starts reading a book from, but I appreciate any advice!:D

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the middle of exploring the phone at the moment (sounds kinda kinky!:p), but there are a few things I can't figure out.

Like, what's the best way to transfer songs from i-Tunes to the phone- through Kies, or through an app? I tried it with the Kies, but it crashed, and then when I tried again, the song titles appeared, but none of the band info etc.

Asking such basic questions is probably the equivalent of posting in the English literature section and asking what end one starts reading a book from, but I appreciate any advice!:D

Warning!!!! Danger!!!! Can not comply, lol

Warning!!!! Danger!!!! Can not comply, lol

:mad:

So much for technology making our lives easier!! I wish I had never upgraded from the piece of string between two yoghurt cartons that I used to communicate with!!:pac:

I found a thing called TuneSync which seems to be working. Hopefully it'll all work out...

:mad:

So much for technology making our lives easier!! I wish I had never upgraded from the piece of string between two yoghurt cartons that I used to communicate with!!:pac:

I found a thing called TuneSync which seems to be working. Hopefully it'll all work out...

lol, I just slap the songs as they are straight onto my phone..

lol, I just slap the songs as they are straight onto my phone..

I don't even know how to do that. :o

I don't even know how to do that. :o

Once phone is hooked up to pc, just drag them onto your external sd card, or I have all my "sounds" some songs in my internal sd/svox/notifications..
    that way I can use them for text/ring tones and such..

You have to create that Notifications folder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Telling someone thats as they put it, not too tech savy to install a custom rom is Insanity. There is very little wrong with the Galaxy S with 2.2.1 and updating to official 2.3 is a much better and safer option.

The official Samsung firmware was released and pulled again, not sure what state its in. There have also been a few leaked non official beta's. When it does get released officially again it'll be up to your provider to filter it to you their customer, they add their own branding.

id say the majority of people just want to mess around with the phone though right?and see what they can change etc dont think there was anything wrong with my galaxy.i just wanted to see if i could install a rom.lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭donjuandejohn

Hi,
    Has anyone come across this before? I was getting easily 2 full (or nearly full days) out of my SGS (froyo) up until today. I charged it last night, unplugged it at about midnight at 100% and set it to flight mode (so the alarm would still work). I turned off flight mode at about 7am.

I had maps open for 2-3mins with GPS on before 8am, then turned both off. Next time I used it was at 11am, for a quick unanwered call (so ~30seconds) and I noticed it was 46% charged. I didn't use it again and at 1:30 this afternoon i heard it turn off in my pocket (fully discharged).

I've charged it to 54% while off (over about 35 mins), then when I turned it on it didn't charge any more than 1-2% over the course of 20mins (like it was barely charging faster than it was discharging).

I've killed all apps (task manager and advanced task killer), and checked the ram usage (was about 220 of 310MB used). I cleared the cache (L1 & L2) which killed up to 13 apps/activities in the background (to which I have no visibility). Immeditaely cleared the L1 & L2 cache again and 6 (more) killed off. The RAM goes to as low as 130 of 310 but I I leave it for 10 mins then clear them again there are up to 12/13 items open in the background. I've stared uninstalling any apps I've downloaded in the last few weeks, but still no joy. I have to turn the phone off to get any decent charge now by the looks of it, but I doubt a 100% charge will last me the night in the oub tonight.

Any suggestions? A new update is availble on Kies - could this help? Or a full system reset (if even possible),, and probably loose my setup and apps.

Cheers - sory for the long post - still new to boards

Hi,
    Has anyone come across this before? I was getting easily 2 full (or nearly full days) out of my SGS (froyo) up until today. I charged it last night, unplugged it at about midnight at 100% and set it to flight mode (so the alarm would still work). I turned off flight mode at about 7am.

I had maps open for 2-3mins with GPS on before 8am, then turned both off. Next time I used it was at 11am, for a quick unanwered call (so ~30seconds) and I noticed it was 46% charged. I didn't use it again and at 1:30 this afternoon i heard it turn off in my pocket (fully discharged).

I've charged it to 54% while off (over about 35 mins), then when I turned it on it didn't charge any more than 1-2% over the course of 20mins (like it was barely charging faster than it was discharging).

I've killed all apps (task manager and advanced task killer), and checked the ram usage (was about 220 of 310MB used). I cleared the cache (L1 & L2) which killed up to 13 apps/activities in the background (to which I have no visibility). Immeditaely cleared the L1 & L2 cache again and 6 (more) killed off. The RAM goes to as low as 130 of 310 but I I leave it for 10 mins then clear them again there are up to 12/13 items open in the background. I've stared uninstalling any apps I've downloaded in the last few weeks, but still no joy. I have to turn the phone off to get any decent charge now by the looks of it, but I doubt a 100% charge will last me the night in the oub tonight.

Any suggestions? A new update is availble on Kies - could this help? Or a full system reset (if even possible),, and probably loose my setup and apps.

Cheers - sory for the long post - still new to boards

From what you`ve said I take it your not on a custom ROM.

First off you should get rid of any and all task killers, the phone can handle what things it needs and does not need to run by itself.
    Have a look in running services and see what`s running, if you don`t know what it is get rid of it, some apps are sneaky and will run in the backround.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Offcial Gingerbread is Rolling out through Kies again.

Offcial Gingerbread is Rolling out through Kies again.

JVH, I`m reading good reviews about it so far, hope its not all hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

JVH, I`m reading good reviews about it so far, hope its not all hype.

And a new modem ;) jvo.

Maybe this will be a bit more stable cause jvb is as buggy as hell. Themes and kerrnels etc are all iffy with jvb at the moment. While jvb is a lot better than jvk was, lets hope jvh will be better. Might flash it today if i get time.

Theres even a battery, pulldown bar, lockscreen mod by JKay out for jvh already. :D:D:D

And a new modem ;) jvo.

Maybe this will be a bit more stable cause jvb is as buggy as hell. Themes and kerrnels etc are all iffy with jvb at the moment. While jvb is a lot better than jvk was, lets hope jvh will be better. Might flash it today if i get time.

Theres even a battery, pulldown bar, lockscreen mod by JKay out for jvh already. :D:D:D

Well let us know how it is, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Well let us know how it is, :)
    And a new modem ;) jvo.

With screenshots!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

How many of you have a screeb protector for your SGS?
    For those of you that don't is there any scratches on your screen?
    A few people have told me that manufacturers don't recommend them. Is this true and if it is why are they not recommended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 spiderhombre

G1032 wrote: »
    A few people have told me that manufacturers don't recommend them. Is this true and if it is why are they not recommended?

galaxy s has a gorilla glass display

which essentially means, as a samsung rep told us: "it is completely scratch resistant! though go at it with a nail or chisel and i withdraw that!"
    ive had mine for 9 months no screen protector and no problems!

• Advertisement

G1032 wrote: »

I got one the day I bought it and no matter what the shop/manufactures say about the screen I still got a protector for it, even if they said it was bullet proof.
    What harm will it do, it does`nt effect anything on it.

Advertisement